Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Also it has 5 loops on the side that you can use to carry packs of energy gel (like Gu or Cliff Shots).

And the gels really stay in the loops? I just recently started using gels in order to carry more calories in less space, but I'm completely paranoid about losing them - I don't trust the loops! Want to reassure me?!

I always carry my phone as well, and here's another vote for the SpiBelt! It has just enough room for what I need to carry, and the loops for gels, that I cannot run without! It's minimal in design, which I love, and I haven't had any issues with it moving around while running.

YMMV though, so I would definitely recommend finding what's most comfortable for you as soon as possible, so you can start training with it!

As for listening to music, it's a must for me. I have it at a volume that allows me to hear what's going on around me, which is important as well!

And the gels really stay in the loops? I just recently started using gels in order to carry more calories in less space, but I'm completely paranoid about losing them - I don't trust the loops! Want to reassure me?!

I have lost a couple gels, unfortunately :( But WAY more have stayed in then have escaped--so I chalk those few that I've lost up to human error--maybe I didn't pull it through secure enough or something. The last race I ran was a 1/2 marathon a couple weeks ago, and I didn't lose any. I had it "fully loaded" with all 5 slots holding a Gu or a packet of sport beans. :)

Is the Cheer Squad necessary for the marathon? I'd really like to cheer my husband on and see him cross the finish line. Do I need a Cheer Squad package to do so? Trying to plan out our budget & it just keeps getting bigger. & bigger!

It's probably not necessary, but any level above Bronze might make it more pleasant for you.

Since I managed to sleep in (pacific time) and not get DH and DS signed up for the 5K, we'll likely be getting the Gold chEAR squad for them for my Half. Gives them blankets in case it's cold, a place to stand at MK and a place to sit at Epcot.

Does anyone ever carry there camera, Iphone/Ipod when they run? I usually do at home. Sometimes it slows me down depending shorts I wear. Plan on wearing shorts that it doesn't affect lol

Also can you listen to a ipod during a run? I usually do at home, helps me get pumped and finish at the end:cool1:

Lots of people carry those things. Part of training will be figuring out the best way to carry them!

Also, one issue with pictures is that lenses are sometimes foggy when it's super-humid out. Most of my taken-on-the-run pictures for TOT are really blurry because of the humidity.

Will keep the first one in mind. And I was familiar with the second one. We actually went there before my last WDW Marathon (and last attempt at a marathon) in 2012. I liked it I just remember it was sort of pure chaos. Then again anywhere that's italian before the race is going to be pure chaos. We just got lucky and got a bar seat so we didn't have to wait forever and a day. Guess I was wondering if there was something more local/non-chain? Or at least somewhere I can make a reservation of sorts. I mean if there isn't any we'll probably end up back at that Olive Garden or if that's really bad crowd-wise at the Carrabbas.

My first choice is Maggianos over by the Orange County convention center. They take reservations, have fantastic food, make everything to your specs - perfect for my pre race pickiness. LOL.

I have eaten there before every one of my Disney halves or fulls!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I 2nd that Maggiano's recommendation. We go there a few times a year. And we always enjoy it. :thumbsup2

My first choice is Maggianos over by the Orange County convention center. They take reservations, have fantastic food, make everything to your specs - perfect for my pre race pickiness. LOL.

I have eaten there before every one of my Disney halves or fulls!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I 2nd that Maggiano's recommendation. We go there a few times a year. And we always enjoy it. :thumbsup2

Two recommendations is enough for me! Might even consider checking it out at Wine and Dine if I can convince Mom to go off property for that particular meal. That will be an entertaining song and dance.

I am all registered!! I submitted my proof of time so I am hoping for a coral in the middle, maybe D or E, any idea when we find out coral placements? AND how spaced out do the corals start if the race begins at 5:30 am with coral A?

I am all registered!! I submitted my proof of time so I am hoping for a coral in the middle, maybe D or E, any idea when we find out coral placements? AND how spaced out do the corals start if the race begins at 5:30 am with coral A?

December'ish...

I was in H for the marathon last year, and we went off just before 6am. Also, the race did not start right at 5:30. It was a few minutes after.

I was in H for the marathon last year, and we went off just before 6am. Also, the race did not start right at 5:30. It was a few minutes after.

Thanks! Reading back at some posts I think I will be placed a little further down in coral G or H, just worried I will be far back and will have to weave through slower runners. I am only doing the full, no Goofy or Dopey for me.

Thanks! Reading back at some posts I think I will be placed a little further down in coral G or H, just worried I will be far back and will have to weave through slower runners. I am only doing the full, no Goofy or Dopey for me.

With the smaller corrals this year, it was really not that bad as far as weaving around people when starting in H. There were only a couple places where there was a very slight bottleneck.

Interesting to know that H started around 6:00. So if I'm currently training for about a 2:30 half for a proof of time in September. That would be put me in K with an approximate start time of 6:15?

I know there's a few people on here that started in K so I'm hoping someone can either confirm or tell me what time the corral approximately actually started.

Currently I am in the 15 min/mile corral, whichever one that is. But that's only because I have nothing to validate that I can run a faster than the non-proof of time pace currently since I don't even have a halfway decent half time to back up a better placing. I've come a surprisingly long way pace and running wise in just a few short months. But trying to find a 10 mile or more race when you've been off for a month because of surgery isn't the easiest. So I'm going to have one shot at getting a decent corral.

Interesting to know that H started around 6:00. So if I'm currently training for about a 2:30 half for a proof of time in September. That would be put me in K with an approximate start time of 6:15? I know there's a few people on here that started in K so I'm hoping someone can either confirm or tell me what time the corral approximately actually started. Currently I am in the 15 min/mile corral, whichever one that is. But that's only because I have nothing to validate that I can run a faster than the non-proof of time pace currently since I don't even have a halfway decent half time to back up a better placing. I've come a surprisingly long way pace and running wise in just a few short months. But trying to find a 10 mile or more race when you've been off for a month because of surgery isn't the easiest. So I'm going to have one shot at getting a decent corral.

A 2:30 1/2 marathon time should get you higher than k.

I was in K this year and started at 6:12am.I did a half earlier this year that I submitted for proof that shoud hopefully get me into F or G.I'm doing Goofy in January and want to be in as high a corral as possible.

If you are concerned about corral placement, you have until October 10 if you want to change your expected finish or even run a race that would provide better proof. Even if you are further back then you should be, I ran the half this year from corral O and didn't have to many weaving issues. However, I am excited to be running the full with an already entered proof of time. :thumbsup2

2:30 sounds like K or L to me. H was 2:10-2:15.

Last year I submitted a 2:34 half and I was in L.

I'm happy with either K or L honestly. I'm just looking to get my butt out of the back corrals.

I honestly have no clue exactly where my pace is going to exactly be in January. But I'm expecting it to be at least the half marathon pace I ran in September, if not faster. Probably faster with the way things have been going.

Not that I really care I guess in the overall scheme of things. Especially after I had the entertaining experience at Tinker Bell of kicking off so fast I not only caught up with the corral in front of me but the one in front of them. Still not 100 percent sure how I pulled that one off. But I sure got confused when I ran into the 13:45 min/mile pacer!

Still would be nicer to be placed to my actually projected pace and not in a slower corral.

Hell I am trying for the 2:30 half but its going to be interesting to see if I actually make it. We're talking a full hour off of my Tinker Bell time this year. Biggest indicator is going to come in one month when I try to move up corrals again (I was trying for a 1:30 10k with an average pace of 14:30, guess who ended up with a 1:25 10k a 13:43 pace and a shiny new PR instead?). If I can at least move into there then getting my pace to settle for the 2:30 attempt shouldn't be impossible.

Just for clarification. I'm trying for the 2:45 corral at my race next month for the race in September. My trainer is in full support and is all gungho for trying for 2:30 at the half in spite of it being a double race. And yes he is aware I'm signed up for this too.

With the smaller corrals this year, it was really not that bad as far as weaving around people when starting in H. There were only a couple places where there was a very slight bottleneck.

No real worries as long as you are placed according to your skills. The marathon seeding was generally spot on in 2014. The real seeding issues were in the half for the Goofy/Dopey folks. The paces for the half corrals were generally slower than the corresponding pace for the same corral in the full. Corral assignments for the Goofy/Dopey folks were based on the expected marathon times... putting faster runners behind slower runners in the half. This created a few bottle necks for those looking to maintain their pace in the half. I know I ran the grass from about a half mile through the point where we merged onto World Drive.

Regardless of how well they seed runners and how well the waves spread them out, there will always be at least two bottlenecks for the full. The first is mile 4 at the point where we leave Topiary Dr and veer left onto World Drive. This is mainly due to the water bridge under Seven Seas Lagoon. The other is just after MK through mile 7. This is just a tough stretch as folks are beginning to tire and are a little underwhelmed emotionally just after the high of MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter