Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Figured you would be the best to ask this. What's the best Italian place in Orlando to get carbs at before the marathon? Will drive within reason. Kind of disenfranchised with the Disney Pasta Parties.

Not so picky before halfs for some reason but with this being my first full in years I want to do this right.

Can't say whether it's the best or not, but there is a Carrabba's on 192 just about 10 miniutes off Disney property.

Figured you would be the best to ask this. What's the best Italian place in Orlando to get carbs at before the marathon? Will drive within reason. Kind of disenfranchised with the Disney Pasta Parties.

Not so picky before halfs for some reason but with this being my first full in years I want to do this right.

There is an Olive Garden on Palm Parkway (right off 535 near the Crossroads at the edge of property)

Can't say whether it's the best or not, but there is a Carrabba's on 192 just about 10 miniutes off Disney property.
There is an Olive Garden on Palm Parkway (right off 535 near the Crossroads at the edge of property)
Will keep the first one in mind. And I was familiar with the second one. We actually went there before my last WDW Marathon (and last attempt at a marathon) in 2012. I liked it I just remember it was sort of pure chaos. Then again anywhere that's italian before the race is going to be pure chaos. We just got lucky and got a bar seat so we didn't have to wait forever and a day.

Guess I was wondering if there was something more local/non-chain? Or at least somewhere I can make a reservation of sorts. I mean if there isn't any we'll probably end up back at that Olive Garden or if that's really bad crowd-wise at the Carrabbas.

I really hope they don't denigrate the 5k 'only' runners--we're in ohio too and it will be an effort to train indoors obviously, but most importantly I have my freshly senior citizen parents who with much trepidation decided to do this with me. I am a non-runner and will just have had a baby and my husband has sports injuries and this represents a big deal for him too. Not to sound like a pity party but this is a huge, once in a lifetime deal for us even though it is 'only' a 5k. I have assured each and every one of them that it is ok if they end up walking (my 6'6" dad can walk 3 miles in 30 min so I swear it's not that bad).

i know no poster here has said anything that would make me feel less great about this race and I just hope the announcers don't make my parents feel like their efforts or accomplishments aren't huge. I so appreciate this warning because perhaps I will tell them about the impressively crazy Dopey & Goofy racers so instead of being bummed they will feel 'in the know' about this special breed of runner, and it might take away less from their experience if the announcers fetishize those races ;) Any other suggestions? I don't want to be too patronizing or they won't buy it ;)

Everything I've heard about Disney races is that they do a great job celebrating all runners. Yes, dopey and goofy runners are going to get a lot of attention, to the point where I've heard folks say it's the only place you ever hear people say I'm "only" running the marathon.

BUT, I think what your family is doing is incredible. Everyone is on their own journey training for a race and we all started in different places. The 5k is your victory lap for getting ready and coming back through months of training. Own it. Make an adr for a great celebratory dinner that night, wear your medals to dinner, wear them in the parks, get photos with characters. The characters I met wearing my princess half shirt did a great job making a big deal out of my accomplishment (and I wasn't even wearing my medal). So, do some meet and greets if that's your thing. And have fun!!

Will keep the first one in mind. And I was familiar with the second one. We actually went there before my last WDW Marathon (and last attempt at a marathon) in 2012. I liked it I just remember it was sort of pure chaos. Then again anywhere that's italian before the race is going to be pure chaos. We just got lucky and got a bar seat so we didn't have to wait forever and a day.

Guess I was wondering if there was something more local/non-chain? Or at least somewhere I can make a reservation of sorts. I mean if there isn't any we'll probably end up back at that Olive Garden or if that's really bad crowd-wise at the Carrabbas.

You can't make reservations, but there's a great locally owned Italian place called Diromio's. There's a location on US 27, about a block south of 192, at Polo Park. They also deliver. http://diromiospizza.com/

Everything I've heard about Disney races is that they do a great job celebrating all runners. Yes, dopey and goofy runners are going to get a lot of attention, to the point where I've heard folks say it's the only place you ever hear people say I'm "only" running the marathon.

BUT, I think what your family is doing is incredible. Everyone is on their own journey training for a race and we all started in different places. The 5k is your victory lap for getting ready and coming back through months of training. Own it. Make an adr for a great celebratory dinner that night, wear your medals to dinner, wear them in the parks, get photos with characters. The characters I met wearing my princess half shirt did a great job making a big deal out of my accomplishment (and I wasn't even wearing my medal). So, do some meet and greets if that's your thing. And have fun!!

First this >> "I've heard folks say it's the only place you ever hear people say I'm "only" running the marathon." SO true - it's totally bizarre, but in a wonderful way!

I'd echo the rest of what Lilo said too. It's really a weekend about celebrating running and personal accomplishments. The bigger races do seem to get more attention, but don't let that impact how you feel about yours. You probably will want to explain the race landscape to your parents somewhat, so they get it too. Even at the parks, other runners say "Congrats" to each other while they are wearing their shirts & medals. It's really great!

You could also make your own "My First 5k" buttons (or they may have them at the expo - maybe call RunDisney & ask?) That will definitely get lots of attention from everyone. Hope this helps!

The pasta in the food courts has always been fine for me.

Is the Cheer Squad necessary for the marathon? I'd really like to cheer my husband on and see him cross the finish line. Do I need a Cheer Squad package to do so? Trying to plan out our budget & it just keeps getting bigger. & bigger!

You can't make reservations, but there's a great locally owned Italian place called Diromio's. There's a location on US 27, about a block south of 192, at Polo Park. They also deliver. http://diromiospizza.com/

Will definitely bookmark them for future reference. Even if they don't take reservations delivery is always a plus. Heck might even give them a try when were there for the Wine and Dine 1/2 if I feel like mixing things up.

Thought I should mention I'm a tad bit reluctant to eat Italian on property. Not because of bad service. But because in the past it has run too spicy for my stomach and that was before I had bariatric surgery last February. Not just in Florida but in California too. When we went to Garden Grove I had a couple of Italian themed food and I could barely stomach it. When we went to the Wine Country Tratorria before Tinkerbell 2013 I was able to handle their food better but still found it too spicy for my liking. So that's two strikes now. I am inclined to think that the same is probably going to happen at the other Disney Italian restaurants.

We always rent a car when coming to Disney so going somewhere isn't a problem. And if for some strange reason I end up going solo. There's always this place I guess.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I posted this originally in the wrong thread in response to comments about a woman who felt really bad about just doing the half because of announcers---we are totally stoked. I love your ideas!!!! I am so excited to be a part of the fun :)

Does anyone ever carry there camera, Iphone/Ipod when they run? I usually do at home. Sometimes it slows me down depending shorts I wear. Plan on wearing shorts that it doesn't affect lol

Also can you listen to a ipod during a run? I usually do at home, helps me get pumped and finish at the end:cool1:

Does anyone ever carry there camera, Iphone/Ipod when they run? I usually do at home. Sometimes it slows me down depending shorts I wear. Plan on wearing shorts that it doesn't affect lol

Also can you listen to a ipod during a run? I usually do at home, helps me get pumped and finish at the end:cool1:

I carry my iPhone always, as emergency phone, as camera and as running app/iTunes. Personally, I like using a Fitletic armband for it: keeps it close and easy to reach, doesn't bounce, doesn't chafe.

No rule against listening to music during rD races, but make sure your volume is low enough and/or keep an earbud out so you can hear what's going on around you.

Is the Cheer Squad necessary for the marathon? I'd really like to cheer my husband on and see him cross the finish line. Do I need a Cheer Squad package to do so? Trying to plan out our budget & it just keeps getting bigger. & bigger!

There is a no cost level of the Cheer Squad (Bronze?). I'm not sure of the specifics but at the very least it let's you sign up for email or text updates of the runner's progress.

While there is Cheer Squad specific/reserved seating at the finish line, there is PLENTY of other seating available at the finish line. So, I wouldn't recommend getting the Cheer Squad based solely on that criteria.

Let me ask this - is your husband getting the race retreat? I splurge on Marathon day and get the race retreat for me and the Platinum Cheer Squad for my wife and we really enjoy that. It's great to relax in that tent after the marathon, get some food, change into dry clothes, and meet new people.

I hope that helps.

With all the characters and entertainment, I HIGHLY recommend carrying an easy-to-carry camera at the Disney races.

I also carry my phone in an arm band and use the app "GPS Real Time Tracker". I connect with my wife and she can see my real-time location as she meets up with me at several points along the marathon route. It works out great.

I always train with an iPod and always bring it with me to Disney but I have never used in in any of my nine Disney races - there's just too much going on between all the entertainment, the crowds, and talking with fellow runners.

With all the excitement at the finish lines, I seriously doubt you'll need it to get "pumped" at the end....and this is coming from a guy who HATES to run without his iPod otherwise.

Does anyone ever carry there camera, Iphone/Ipod when they run? I usually do at home. Sometimes it slows me down depending shorts I wear. Plan on wearing shorts that it doesn't affect lol Also can you listen to a ipod during a run? I usually do at home, helps me get pumped and finish at the end:cool1:

I always carry my iPhone when I run. I use it for music, taking photos, and it gives me peace of mind to know I could make a phone call in an emergency. I wear it in a SPI Belt around my hips and I love it! (I don't like anything on my arms). It also leaves plenty of room for a couple of wet wipes for potty breaks.

I think they officially discourage listening to headphones for safety reasons, but I always do, and just leave one ear out so I can hear what's going on around me. That being said, there is usually so much entertainment and excitement around that I don't rely on my music nearly as much as I usually would to get me through. ;)

Does anyone ever carry there camera, Iphone/Ipod when they run? I usually do at home. Sometimes it slows me down depending shorts I wear. Plan on wearing shorts that it doesn't affect lol Also can you listen to a ipod during a run? I usually do at home, helps me get pumped and finish at the end:cool1:

I absolutely carry a camera with me! The pictures are super important to me and I have not been impressed with the company contracted to take care of the photos (MarathonFoto) - they don't always get me in the pictures and the photos are very expensive. I also carry my phone. I don't listen to music at Disney because I want to be focused on everything around me - I find I don't need music on Disney race courses. :)

I carry my phone as well. I have a couple of SparkleTech skirts that have large pockets sewn into the leg and my phone fits in there perfectly and is very secure.

I always carry my phone with me--at races and training.

I use one of these http://www.fitletic.com/ultimate-ii-running-belt.html

They are actually usually at the Disney race expos--but I wouldn't recommend buying one there and using it at a race the next day! I would try it out on training runs a few times first before wearing it at a race.

I love this belt because it has toggles for your race bib at the bottom so you don't have to pin your bib to your shirt. Also it has 5 loops on the side that you can use to carry packs of energy gel (like Gu or Cliff Shots). The small side pocket I use to keep toilet paper or tissues in (in cold weather running, my nose runs! Also, it's really tough to be in a porta potty during a race and find out there is no TP! I found myself in that situation a couple weeks ago and was SO glad to have my TP stash! :thumbsup2 )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter