• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more Prince or Princesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I simply repeated all the suggestions given to misgendered folks back to you. If a man should be able to laugh off being called a woman then a Princess can laugh off being called a Friend. Friends come in many varieties after all, should be easier to laugh off. :)

Or is it only ok for others to have to laugh off?
How is a CM supposed to know if they are "misgendering" a child. Boys are boys, girls are girls in the eyes of most people. If someone wants to be called something different then they can correct the CM. I just see the joy in my girls' faces when they are called Princess as they should be at Walt Disney World. At the same time I do see the argument of those that don't want to be called Princess or Prince but I still feel that those that do shouldn't have that magic taken away.

I'd love it if they would (really feels like they should have already) make buttons like the 1st visit, etc and you can indicate what you want to be called (Prince/ss, friend, he/him, they/them, etc). You can do this with some of the buttons - but make it WAY more of a thing so that people can present themselves to the CMs, etc and no one has to guess/guess incorrectly/assume/people feel heard, etc.

I feel like those were terms used in the 50s to go to the Shriners Circus.
I am embarrassed that Americans can’t figure out Celsius temperature instead of degrees Fahrenheit for the weather channel. The Weather Channel should broadcast both , I suppose if we are ever going to change.
Eurodollar conversion for guests?
Also mile conversion to kilometer . If only they were equal.

Has Disney officially instructed any castmember to ever call anybody anything except equally with respect?
It is good to start the conversation cause we are slow to change in the Disney Terrene (synonym for World ) …

Last edited:

I'd love it if they would (really feels like they should have already) make buttons like the 1st visit, etc and you can indicate what you want to be called (Prince/ss, friend, he/him, they/them, etc). You can do this with some of the buttons - but make it WAY more of a thing so that people can present themselves to the CMs, etc and no one has to guess/guess incorrectly/assume/people feel heard, etc.
Or if you had a magic band you could program it into your app?

Last edited:
If your daughter is dressed like a princess, they will call her princess. If she's dressed in street clothes, they won't.

As a DLR CM, I was never give any instruction whatsoever on the subject, but I only use "princess" if a girl is literally dressed up as such.

I still occasionally use "sir" or "ma'am" if they're an old timer and are very clearly, unambiguously those genders.

Just about everyone else is "friend" or "crew", since I sometimes work at MF:SR.

How is a CM supposed to know if they are "misgendering" a child. Boys are boys, girls are girls in the eyes of most people. If someone wants to be called something different then they can correct the CM. I just see the joy in my girls' faces when they are called Princess as they should be at Walt Disney World. At the same time I do see the argument of those that don't want to be called Princess or Prince but I still feel that those that do shouldn't have that magic taken away.
Aand there it is. So it's only ok for folks to laugh it off and get over it when it's not you or your kids being called something dif that what you prefer. Gotcha.

I still occasionally use "sir" or "ma'am" if they're an old timer and are very clearly, unambiguously those genders.
I think I resemble that remark! :lovestruc When I was younger, I used to chuckle when folks called me "sir." Now that I've lived long enough to warrant the title, I hope the practice sticks around for a bit longer.

I simply repeated all the suggestions given to misgendered folks back to you. If a man should be able to laugh off being called a woman then a Princess can laugh off being called a Friend. Friends come in many varieties after all, should be easier to laugh off. :)

Or is it only ok for others to have to laugh off?

I would say it works both ways though - it shouldn't be a big deal at all to just ask and/or to laugh it off - for anybody. That's sorf of my point. As long as it is not done with malice then it shouldn't be a problem. One issue is though that we are becomming conditioned to see malice behind every little thing. That's kind of a different issue though. I don't much care what a CM calls me, but I also don't think it's necessary to require and prohibit certain words either. Can't we just all use a little reason and common sense? Oh, wait, we've been losing that too.

I’m here now. It’s all “friends”. I don’t really have an issue with it.

The bigger issue for me is that cast member appearance has gone way down hill. Shoddy and poorly fitting uniforms, name tags with the name taped on, and TONS of visible tattoos. It’s a little sad.

Friends come in many varieties after all, should be easier to laugh off. :)
Friendship implies a mutual familiarity which some people may rightly feels needs to be earned rather than simply assumed by one party. While the terms Prince or Princess are intended to elevate the standing of the other party, and doesn't imply any mutual familiarity (just the opposite, in fact.)

If two total strangers meet each other for the first time, I think it is reasonable to assume they haven't yet established mutual "friendship." Unless they both mutually agree to use the term "friend" to address each other, it is presumptuous to do so. And it can feel creepy or even offensive to some people in some situations.

This reminds me of the regional practice for some women in the service industry to call their customers "honey" or "darling." That is also meant as a term of endearment and familiarity by them. I don't mind it when my waitress calls me honey or sweetie. I find it charming and endearing, as intended.

But, if a male waiter did that to my wife, it would be less charming and slightly creepy. If a male colleague did to to a coworker, that would be borderline sexual harassment.

We are all living in the same culture, so we understand what the boundaries are and usually avoid overstepping them. But that doesn't always work: in some regions (and time periods) it was/is perfectly acceptable to call strange females "darling" "honey" and "sweetie." And I can imagine that some wives may find it disturbing for an attractive waitress to call their husband "darling" in front of his family.

Assuming and imposing too much familiarity can sometimes cause offense even if it's intent was entirely positive. And simply assuming that everyone will feel it's "OK" just because you do is not very inclusive or compasionate.

Friendship implies a mutual familiarity which some people may rightly feels needs to be earned rather than simply assumed by one party. While the terms Prince or Princess are intended to elevate the standing of the other party, and doesn't imply any mutual familiarity (just the opposite, in fact.)

If two total strangers meet each other for the first time, I think it is reasonable to assume they haven't yet established mutual "friendship." Unless they both mutually agree to use the term "friend" to address each other, it is presumptuous to do so. And it can feel creepy or even offensive to some people in some situations.

This reminds me of the regional practice for some women in the service industry to call their customers "honey" or "darling." That is also meant as a term of endearment and familiarity by them. I don't mind it when my waitress calls me honey or sweetie. I find it charming and endearing, as intended.

But, if a male waiter did that to my wife, it would be less charming and slightly creepy. If a male colleague did to to a coworker, that would be borderline sexual harassment.

We are all living in the same culture, so we understand what the boundaries are and usually avoid overstepping them. But that doesn't always work: in some regions (and time periods) it was/is perfectly acceptable to call strange females "darling" "honey" and "sweetie." And I can imagine that some wives may find it disturbing for an attractive waitress to call their husband "darling" in front of his family.

Assuming and imposing too much familiarity can sometimes cause offense even if it's intent was entirely positive. And simply assuming that everyone will feel it's "OK" just because you do is not very inclusive or compasionate.
Take everything you just said and apply it to a male stranger calling your minor child “princess”.

And then relax.

Take everything you just said and apply it to a male stranger calling your minor child “princess”.

And then relax.
In the Magic Kingdom? I certainly hope they would.

Now, if Disney ever opens a "Soviet land" then I would expect the Cast Members to all call me "Friend." Or "Comrade", to be more authentic. Heck, I'd join in the "fun" and call them "comrade" right back. It's all in good fun if that's the fantasy that you've knowingly bought into for the day.

But, in a land that simulates fairytales populated by princesses and princes, then yes: my daughter should be addressed as one, too.

I suggest that people who don't want to be called "prince" or "princess" should take a good look at the beautiful fairytale castle that Walt lovingly created. Try to remember what that represents to most guests.

And relax.

Misgendered children really shouldn't be asked to just "laugh it off". I'm glad Disney is being more gender-neutral in their language. I'm fine with being called Friend at Disney - it's a happy place and I like the camaraderie of everyone being friends (even though I know that isn't true). I also like calling kids "your highness" instead of a gender specific "prince" or "princess". I also like the idea of putting pronouns on buttons.

In the Magic Kingdom? I certainly hope they would.

Now, if Disney ever opens a "Soviet land" then I would expect the Cast Members to all call me "Friend." Or "Comrade", to be more authentic. Heck, I'd join in the "fun" and call them "comrade" right back. It's all in good fun if that's the fantasy that you've knowingly bought into for the day.

But, in a land that simulates fairytales populated by princesses and princes, then yes: my daughter should be addressed as one, too.

I suggest that people who don't want to be called "prince" or "princess" should take a good look at the lovely fairytale castle that Walt lovingly created. Try to remember what that represents to most guests.

And relax.
Do you overthink everything this much or is it specifically limited to innocuous greetings?

Misgendered children really shouldn't be asked to just "laugh it off". I'm glad Disney is being more gender-neutral in their language. I'm fine with being called Friend at Disney - it's a happy place and I like the camaraderie of everyone being friends (even though I know that isn't true). I also like calling kids "your highness" instead of a gender specific "prince" or "princess". I also like the idea of putting pronouns on buttons.
I’m fine with kids in princess dresses being called “princess” because I think it’s fair for a cast member to assume that’s how they’d like to be addressed.

But calling everyone else “friend”? No idea on earth how that’s a bad thing.

Next, someone will complain about hearing “welcome home”.

I’m here now. It’s all “friends”. I don’t really have an issue with it.

The bigger issue for me is that cast member appearance has gone way down hill. Shoddy and poorly fitting uniforms, name tags with the name taped on, and TONS of visible tattoos. It’s a little sad.
Because you have a visible tattoo(s) that's a negative on your appearance?

Because you have a visible tattoo(s) that's a negative on your appearance?
No. I have many visible tattoos. Not my point.

The point is Disney’s rule change was supposed to allow for a limited number of small ones being visible and that’s already totally out the window.

Like Sir, Madam, Boys, Girls, Princess or Prince?

Oh, wait. If you are on the politically correct side, you cannot be accused of overthinking, right?

Because no thinking is required (or expected) of that group.
I’m not even remotely politically correct. I just don’t dig the idea of purposely calling someone something they don’t wish to be called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter