• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more Prince or Princesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the change. As a kid I often had pretty short hair and was misgendered a few times, each of which made me upset enough as a youngster that I can still recall each instance many years later. If it had happened at Disney? I’m sure that would’ve made me feel the worst of all. Now I’m an adult woman with a son with shoulder length hair and even our neighbors say “she’s so cute!” about him occasionally. I’d much rather the neutral greeting than having to worry about whether we’re going to correct everyone or let it slide or whatever.

I don't know. It feels vaguely "Soviet" for strangers to call each other "friend." It is a term that implies both parties are equal, which was the point of folks addressing each other as "comrade."

while prince or princess elevates the recipient. Calling someone a guest also elevates them. Even "sir" or "madam" is an inherently respectful way to address someone.

Changing the words we are allowed to use is somewhat Orwelean. It's Newspeak. I hope we are not all too far gone to at least acknowledge that there are elements of 1984 in all of this. George Orwell intended it to be a cautionary tale, and here we are. Sorry, but I'm not going to pretend I cannot see the obvious.
Random note - I work with kids and I think the term started in childcare settings. I recall hearing teachers refer to students as friends at least 10 years back, so guessing that now that this generation is growing up, they’re used to hearing the term. My son referred to all people as “friends” when first learning to talk, like random people in the grocery store and such. In kiddie classes, kid’s tv shows, etc., “friends” tends to be the term they use to address the class / audience.

My girls love it when the CM's refer to them as Princess. They have only wore a "princess" dress once when they did BBB. All the other times that are in regular clothes and many many CM's refer to them as Princess. I really hope they don't take that away from the 99% who don't mind and actually like the term. For the 1% that are offended a simple "I'm sorry" should be fine. I'm just sick of losing everything for the sake of others and being the "Bad Guy" for standing up for what I believe. Good for those that choose an alternative lifestyle. I will never shame them or talk bad about them. It's their choice. Just don't ram it down my throat and make me change my ways for you. I will never ask you to change for me.

Younger, my youngest daughter was Minnie biggest fan but hated anything princess. She didn’t like being called princess and once told a CM “I’m NOT a princess!”. 🤣 I think she watched her first princess movie until the end at 8 or 9yo while my oldest could recite big stretches of Beaty And the Beast movie dialogue at 4yo. I personally like this new policy as it’s more inclusive.

My girls love it when the CM's refer to them as Princess. They have only wore a "princess" dress once when they did BBB. All the other times that are in regular clothes and many many CM's refer to them as Princess. I really hope they don't take that away from the 99% who don't mind and actually like the term. For the 1% that are offended a simple "I'm sorry" should be fine. I'm just sick of losing everything for the sake of others and being the "Bad Guy" for standing up for what I believe. Good for those that choose an alternative lifestyle. I will never shame them or talk bad about them. It's their choice. Just don't ram it down my throat and make me change my ways for you. I will never ask you to change for me.

They aren't making you change your ways, you can do as you want. They are being more inclusive for everyone.

I am also sure that more than 1% of the females that have been called princess at the parks didn't like it.

I like the change. As a kid I often had pretty short hair and was misgendered a few times, each of which made me upset enough as a youngster that I can still recall each instance many years later. If it had happened at Disney? I’m sure that would’ve made me feel the worst of all. Now I’m an adult woman with a son with shoulder length hair and even our neighbors say “she’s so cute!” about him occasionally. I’d much rather the neutral greeting than having to worry about whether we’re going to correct everyone or let it slide or whatever.

I do understand what you are saying - I too have been ocassionally misgendered, even recently during COVID when my hair got long and wearing a mask. For me though it never really bothered me. I can't understand what is so, so terrible about having one's gender referred to incorrectly. I guess I'm just not sensitive about things like that. One can correct them and move on. Me, I usually just laugh about it. As long as it's not done purposefully with malice, then for me it's fine.

I don't really think it needs to be a hard policy, but also there's nothing wrong with being more mindful as well. Honestly, most people can intuit what is appropriate in a situation and act accordingly. Most of the time you'll be right too, and if you're not a correction and apology should suffice. And for those who want to purposefully get it wrong for the sake of some hardline stance or whatever, well, who cares what they think? Don't give them any power. I know that's easy to say when I'm not the one who may be targeted, but I actually do think it's a healthier and more productive attitude to have.

I do understand what you are saying - I too have been ocassionally misgendered, even recently during COVID when my hair got long and wearing a mask. For me though it never really bothered me. I can't understand what is so, so terrible about having one's gender referred to incorrectly. I guess I'm just not sensitive about things like that. One can correct them and move on. Me, I usually just laugh about it. As long as it's not done purposefully with malice, then for me it's fine.

I don't really think it needs to be a hard policy, but also there's nothing wrong with being more mindful as well. Honestly, most people can intuit what is appropriate in a situation and act accordingly. Most of the time you'll be right too, and if you're not a correction and apology should suffice. And for those who want to purposefully get it wrong for the sake of some hardline stance or whatever, well, who cares what they think? Don't give them any power. I know that's easy to say when I'm not the one who may be targeted, but I actually do think it's a healthier and more productive attitude to have.
Glad it doesn't bother you personally, but I don't think you are the sole representative for people struggling with society and gender identity. Consideration for the wider community of guests should be the norm.

Is this Disney news site legit? I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but if true no more calling kids Prince or Princesses is a new low. This makes my daughter light up with joy anytime a cast member calls her a Princess. I can understand (kinda) using gender neutral for adults, but not for kids. This seems to alienate more folks than leaving things the way they are. If someone is offended by innocently being misgendered a simple apology and moving on should be enough. 99.9% of the time there is no malicious intent.

Disney World Cast Members now using phrases like ‘Friend’ & Other Gender-Neutral Terms
Good Lord

Glad it doesn't bother you personally, but I don't think you are the sole representative for people struggling with society and gender identity. Consideration for the wider community of guests should be the norm.

No I do get that. I think what I am saying is more like advice. It is often said that words have power, but they only have the power that we give them. We can refuse to grant that power. Also, in my estimation, it is counterproductive to make people who ostensibly support you walk on eggshells with simple mistakes met with vitriol. Diversity and inclusion is so much more complex than "do it this way and only this way" - it has to be. There should be room for various degrees, opinions, and even tactics. I do think that reasonable people can more often than not figure it out without a proscribed script or approved talking points. And, no I'm not claiming to be the "sole" voice on the matter - in fact my point is there there should be room for many voices. This is just my take.

Then simply correct the cast member and ask to be called Princess and/or Prince. What's so hard about it? Being called Friend is not done with malice after all so you can ask and/or let it go ~
Then why can't people that do NOT want to be called Prince / Princess do the same thing and ask to be called "Friend"? I'll bet my DVC contracts there are more that want to be called Prince / princess than not.

Then simply correct the cast member and ask to be called Princess and/or Prince. What's so hard about it? Being called Friend is not done with malice
Is being called Prince or Princess done with malice?
after all so you can ask and/or let it go ~ or maybe do as BrianL says and laugh it off.
Why can't you do the same when called Prince or Princess?

I noticed "Friend/Friends" a lot more on our most recent trip a few weeks ago, and I admit, I found it a bit -- off. Not only was the word kind of new in an adult context, it was how much it was being used; it seemed like CMs were going out of their way to address people by a term, when on past visits they had not done so very frequently. (Clarification here; I'm speaking of up-close interactions, not the CMs working the mic in the ride pre-shows or as MC at shows; it sounds fine when they do it.)

What struck me most was that unlike in the past *every* CM interaction suddenly seemed to include being addressed directly as "Friend". I noticed it most with cashiers. In the past, most of them said "Hi! How can I help you?" but now it's "Hi, Friend! How can I help you?" Also sometimes the CM's at the end of the queue, who used to just politely ask "How many in your party?" but are now often saying, "Hi, Friends! How many in your party?" It's usually unnecessary in those situations, so in that context it sounds rehearsed and insincere.

Honestly, if they MUST throw in some kind of extra honorific, I'd prefer "folks" or even "y'all", because to me "Friend" as a mode of address in one-to-one interaction with a total stranger reminds me of either visiting a Quaker religious service, or someone trying to break up a bar fight.

PS: FTR, I never much was a fan of CM's out in the middle of the park addressing children as Princess/Prince; not because it was gender-specific, but because it kind of put kids on the spot in terms of interacting with an adult stranger when they might not want to. My DD absolutely hated being called Princess when she was little, and she never hesitated to let the CMs know it; she would grind out "DON'T call me Princess! and leave me alone!" every time it happened. In recent years I've sometimes noticed CMs calling costumed children "Your Highness!" which seems somehow to be a little less presumptuous, and also has the bonus of being gender-nonspecific. (Kids tend to love getting to feel like a grownup is showing them extra respect, and "Your Highness" ticks that box. It also seemed to go along well with the longstanding park CM schtick that the "Disney Royal Families" were supposedly their bosses.)

Last edited:
Then why can't people that do NOT want to be called Prince / Princess do the same thing and ask to be called "Friend"? I'll bet my DVC contracts there are more that want to be called Prince / princess than not.
I simply repeated all the suggestions given to misgendered folks back to you. If a man should be able to laugh off being called a woman then a Princess can laugh off being called a Friend. Friends come in many varieties after all, should be easier to laugh off. :)

Or is it only ok for others to have to laugh off?

Honestly, I really do prefer when strangers call me "Sir" rather than "Friend."

When total strangers call me "Friend" that doesn't make them my friend. In fact, it's slightly creepy.

And what I'm I supposed to do, tell those smiling young people "I don't actually know you, so please call me 'Sir'?" Yeah, I guess if I was a drill sergeant in the army I could demand to be addressed respectfully. In the real world, it is a rare luxury that is meaningless if I have to request it, that feels awfully good when it's bestowed on me spontaneously. I get it that many people don't care, but some people still do, and it's not very inclusive to deny them that.

You know, that's the funny thing about this debate: being inclusive for one group inevitably also excludes others. No amount of sophistry and spin will change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter