News Round Up 2020

Quick question, are they still going to extend Annual Passes for the amount of the closure? Mine was set to expire the end of May and I’m curious.

Inevitable. The company bridged their people through when most of them will get their checks from the Government, and they’ll be eligible for the enhanced unemployment.

The hard part now is how does Disney hire all these people back?

The rides are gonna feel very different with all new CMs and it’s going to take forever to reopen the parks if 30% of the staff turns over, let alone 50 or 75%

I don’t think it will be all or even mostly new cm’s. There aren’t many jobs to be had, especially in Florida, and even more so in a tourist city like Orlando. Yes, I’m sure some cm’s will quit and find employment elsewhere, particularly those who had not planned on staying at WDW more than a few years and didn’t plan on settling in Orlando permanently. But there are far more furloughed Disney (and likely Universal eventually) employees in the Orlando area than there are jobs to be had, let alone permanent jobs. The whole state is under stay at home as of midnight. Thousands more will be unemployed as of tomorrow.

Like restaurants, retail and other Mom&Pop establishments, the comics industry is getting destroyed by the Covid outbreak. Depending how long this lasts, many of the local comic shops may not bounce back, as similar to restaurants it's a very tight margin industry. I know there's many larger issues in the world currently, but it still breaks my heart to see Hollywood make so much money off comic book IP, while the local comic shops are going to struggle to survive ... I've been frequenting the same comic shop for almost 20 years and the place is like a 2nd home for the locals. Like local non-chain bars and restaurants, it's another sector of the economy that probably never expected this and may not have a way to adapt long term.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-book-industry-is-hold-first-time-history-1287967

Like restaurants, retail and other Mom&Pop establishments, the comics industry is getting destroyed by the Covid outbreak. Depending how long this lasts, many of the local comic shops may not bounce back, as similar to restaurants it's a very tight margin industry. I know there's many larger issues in the world currently, but it still breaks my heart to see Hollywood make so much money off comic book IP, while the local comic shops are going to struggle to survive ... I've been frequenting the same comic shop for almost 20 years and the place is like a 2nd home for the locals. Like local non-chain bars and restaurants, it's another sector of the economy that probably never expected this and may not have a way to adapt long term.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-book-industry-is-hold-first-time-history-1287967
I've got a friend that loves comics and game stores. He is very concerned about this as well.

He looked into opening his own store a few years back and even with optimistic estimates he would've barely broken even. It's going to be really rough for them.

I do think most small business will come back, but a lot of it will be owned/restarted by different people. IIRC, bad economic times are generally a kick starter for entrepreneurship.

I'm also hoping most landlords will see the forest not the trees and work with people on lease payments. It does a landlord no good to bankrupt all their tenants when they are no replacements. But based on the way landlords are acting on Air BnB and HomeAway, I'm not holding my breath.

Ya .. my local shop is struggling, which is sad to see. They have been allowed to do curb-side pickup, but with no NEW comics being delivered now, most of their business will dry up this week and next. They are doing their best to advertise and sell their current back-issue stock and graphic novels, but that won't last long.

Essentially, if this goes on any longer ..the whole tourist/entertainment industries will be practically changed overnight.
Cruise ship sailings will dry up for a while. Theme parks could be offering vastly different experiences and the demand just won't be there (and if there isn't demand .. less innovation from the parks to draw in customers). Airlines will have less flights and thus more expensive flights to less destinations .. you may see the discount airlines fold up and be bought up to the point we only have 2-3 airline choices in the country.

Entertainment? We may get used to movie releases at home and theaters (especially the big multiplexes) go the way of the arcades. We, as a country, care less about celebrities and Instagram influencers. I can imagine a lot of our favorite VLOGers fade away. They don't have a place to go to generate new content and with that place not open, the demand to watch their vlogs is gone. (I know I am not watching any Disney vlogs anymore over the past month).

Ya .. my local shop is struggling, which is sad to see. They have been allowed to do curb-side pickup, but with no NEW comics being delivered now, most of their business will dry up this week and next. They are doing their best to advertise and sell their current back-issue stock and graphic novels, but that won't last long.

Essentially, if this goes on any longer ..the whole tourist/entertainment industries will be practically changed overnight.
Cruise ship sailings will dry up for a while. Theme parks could be offering vastly different experiences and the demand just won't be there (and if there isn't demand .. less innovation from the parks to draw in customers). Airlines will have less flights and thus more expensive flights to less destinations .. you may see the discount airlines fold up and be bought up to the point we only have 2-3 airline choices in the country.

Entertainment? We may get used to movie releases at home and theaters (especially the big multiplexes) go the way of the arcades. We, as a country, care less about celebrities and Instagram influencers. I can imagine a lot of our favorite VLOGers fade away. They don't have a place to go to generate new content and with that place not open, the demand to watch their vlogs is gone. (I know I am not watching any Disney vlogs anymore over the past month).

Maybe in the short term.

There’s a great big beautiful tomorrow.....

I understood two things to be true about TRON

1. It was ahead of schedule
  2. They couldn’t open before July 2021 because of an arrangement with the other company that they own Shanghai Disneyland with
So I’d Say it depends on the length of the closure.
That makes sense. Hopefully July 2021 stays on track!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter