Now, the one thing I do wonder about is the overlap of Star Wars fans and Disney fans. How many of the diehard "I want to live in Star Wars" people are also into Tinkerbell and Pooh? I've seen plenty of youtube videos from guys that have never made a Disney video in their lives.

Can be hit or miss. But one thing to remember is if they have kids, that will even out the interest in other areas of the park. I know many diehard Star Wars fans from my time working in comic stores and so far the reaction is pretty divided from either “Meh, Disney just wants my money.” or “I’m going to bawl like a baby at Savi’s.”

The group I’m going with is full of diehards going just for SWGE but they’re just as interested in doing everything else like seeing World of Color, rides, etc. They’re even having a Disney movie marathon to prepare themselves to know all the ride backstories. :flower1:

I think those that come just for SWGE are also going to be interested in doing everything else too.

having fun in LA with my friends right now, but getting really exited for Disneyland at the weekend. Im loving all the reports of low crowds and easy access to SWGE. I really hope it holds like this for the next few weeks at least. Ive only ever been to Disneyland in the summer and have gotten used to managing high crowds, so this will be a dream visit, long park hours, no refurbs, great weather and low crowds.

What is happening?!?! Everything is showing ~5 minutes right now except for the most popular (Indy, Falcon, Midway, etc) which are between 35 and 60 minutes. Lightsaber bookings are showing availability every half an hour from now to park close! Yes it’s a Wednesday, but it’s peak summer. LA’s weather is predicted to be mild (70 to 80s) and everything seems perfect for the park to be packed!

My goodness if I can experience anything close to this during my Oct 19-24th trip it’ll be FANTASTIC! I know Halloween time is busy, but with almost all my days falling midweek I expect to be in the best position for low crowds (if they exist). If truly the longest lines are 35 to 45 min than with MaxPass I’m actually feeling like five day park hoppers might be TOO much. Sure hope my friend is a super die hard Disney fan... or at least she doesn’t feel like she’s wasting too many days doing Disney over and over with me, lol

What is happening?!?! Everything is showing ~5 minutes right now except for the most popular (Indy, Falcon, Midway, etc) which are between 35 and 60 minutes. Lightsaber bookings are showing availability every half an hour from now to park close! Yes it’s a Wednesday, but it’s peak summer. LA’s weather is predicted to be mild (70 to 80s) and everything seems perfect for the park to be packed!

My goodness if I can experience anything close to this during my Oct 19-24th trip it’ll be FANTASTIC! I know Halloween time is busy, but with almost all my days falling midweek I expect to be in the best position for low crowds (if they exist). If truly the longest lines are 35 to 45 min than with MaxPass I’m actually feeling like five day park hoppers might be TOO much. Sure hope my friend is a super die hard Disney fan... or at least she doesn’t feel like she’s wasting too many days doing Disney over and over with me, lol
1. It’s mid week
2. Summer is no longer our busy season. Halloween and the days around Christmas is the absolute peak for crowds and has been for the past few years. I wouldn’t hold your breath for lower crowds around Halloween. Last year mid week around then saw most rides running at least 30-60 minute waits.

1. It’s mid week
2. Summer is no longer our busy season. Halloween and the days around Christmas is the absolute peak for crowds and has been for the past few years.

That’s crazy, I thought summer was still soul crushingly busy and the crowds just had also expanded to Halloween and Christmas.

Oct with Halloween in full swing, APs not blocked and ROTR rumored to be running? No way.

This is weird. The rest of the 2 parks are very reasonable, but Incredicoaster is suddenly 105 minutes... I don’t think I’ve ever seen it even close to that long.

Attachments

• E675C396-3AE6-49CD-9444-C9926E060781.png
    E675C396-3AE6-49CD-9444-C9926E060781.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 4
This is weird. The rest of the 2 parks are very reasonable, but Incredicoaster is suddenly 105 minutes... I don’t think I’ve ever seen it even close to that long.
We are thinking it’s a goof or they are running at a severely reduced capacity.

I went to Batuu yesterday with the goal of getting a kowakian monkey-lizard since they were sold out during my reserved group last week. I had an idea of what to expect since I was keeping an eye on things via social media updates from various people who went on Monday.

I didn't want to rush into the parks super early so I made a reservation for Oga's Cantina so that if they ended up doing boarding groups, I'd be good to go in around a time that worked for me. I'm a local AP Holder so I know this is a benefit for me and wouldn't necessarily work out for everyone coming to the parks.

I got into the reservation queue around 6-6:30 and refreshed periodically while getting ready and was able to get a 10am time slot pretty easily once it opened at 7am. It seemed to be a big difference compared to how fast the reservations sold out the day prior.

From what I experienced, I don't think they had to utilize the boarding groups at all yesterday. Both parks seemed to be low capacity and I was actually able to ride Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout three times in a row with 10 min or less wait time.

Anyway, I wanted to share my experience with Smuggler's Run and Oga's Cantina. Once I got into Disneyland around 8:30 (with no issues or lines) I made my way to the Fantasyland entrance to get into Galaxy's Edge. They were directing everyone to the Critter Country entrance but I noticed that once I left around 11, they were utilizing all 3 entrances. I headed to the Creature Stall and made my purchase and then figured I'd wander around until my reservation at 10 for Oga's. The wait time was 180 minutes for Smuggler's Run so I grabbed breakfast at Docking Bay 7. It wasn't bad, wasn't great, but was cool for the experience.

I lined up for Oga's around 9:45 and it went pretty smoothly. I could tell there were people who were there for the first time (of course!) but the cast members were calm and did a good job of explaining the process. A few guests came up trying to get in without reservations who were turned away and most of them understood. One gentleman argued with the cast member at the front of the line but she maintained her composure, which I'm sure was probably difficult.

Once I was inside, my experience wasn't quite the same. I had been inside once before so I was familiar with the process and the menu. The bartender that was assigned to us was really short and unfriendly which seemed to upset the other people who were part of the group I was placed into. I couldn't tell if he was trying to be in character or if he was frustrated with the world, but I was surprised with his behavior. He went down the bartop and asked each person "you ready or what?" and looked away when they ordered or asked him a question. There's a time limit of 45 minutes once you're inside, and I guess he was trying to move things along, but a majority of the people there are seeing everything for the first time. All the other bartenders were smiling and engaging but he remained stone faced and off-putting, especially when he threw the the cup holding my cards and receipts at me. Again, I don't know if he was having a bad day or if maybe he'd be better suited for another job...but it was strange.

I left there and headed towards Smuggler's Run which was down to a 75 minute wait. I was solo in the parks so I decided to go through the single rider line. I think I ended up waiting around 20-30 minutes total, but I think it would have gone faster. The reason it took longer was because there were families of 4-6 who wanted to go together and claimed that they didn't realize it was only for single riders. Just another day in paradise :crazy:

I apologize for the long post but I wanted to share my thoughts/experiences to give an idea of how it was on a slow Tuesday!

While “less people in the park” may be a hit to the bottom line, “less people standing in long lines” potentially translates to “more people spending money on food and merch.”

I think that Disney may have overhyped things, resulting in people staying home to avoid crowds. However, I’m just watching wait times from home, which may not be a reasonable indicator of what’s happening.

I agree with that line of thought. After you get people in the parks, they aren't spending more money if they're tied up in lines for *too* long.

I think it may have been overhyped and driven people away, too, but I definitely think it makes a difference that this land is at both U.S. parks starting in August, so that undoubtedly spreads out the guests as well.

That’s crazy, I thought summer was still soul crushingly busy and the crowds just had also expanded to Halloween and Christmas.
Eh not really. It really wasn’t packed packed until maybe mid to late July. At least that’s how I felt. I had a lot of time off from work in July and I noticed early July was fine, second week there was a big heat wave so crowds were low. Then the crowds came back when a bunch of conferences were in town. Then in early August it tapered off some as I think people started going back to school.

Late September and October crowds sucked. Only went twice. I could’ve gone more but I honestly didn’t want to. This year I think I’ll suck it up and go more mostly because I didn’t get a chance to see a lot of the Halloween offerings.

Apparently we should’ve gone a couple weeks later that year. It was still way better than Christmas break in 2016- that was absolutely crazy!(we made a last minute trip since Tower of Terror was closing)

I would hazard a guess that the following factors are driving lower attendance:

1. Summer is no longer a crazy busy season at Disneyland
2. There are signs the economy is softening. Consumers may be pulling back on discretionary spending (i.e. $149 for a single day ticket at DL).
3. Galaxy's Edge may not be bring in new revenue as much as it protects existing revenue. What I mean by that is - GE will be a way to improve the value of the park for those that are already loyal to Disneyland. It may not bring in new customers that have never typically spent $$ on theme parks. Which leads to...
4. I do think the use of the Star Wars IP from the new trilogy has limited or put a ceiling on demand from those in bucket #3. If they had gone with original trilogy IP and characters, they might have had a chance to bring in some new customers.

Just my .02. And I realize the jury is still way, way out on GE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter