I would wait for ROTR and so I had a December trip in mind to save up for but with Hyperspace Mountain, Soarin’ Over California, low crowds, and having to resist the urge to watch MFSR on YouTube, I’m thinking I have to also do a short trip in August. We’re in Utah so at least it’s only a day drive.

They’re not just going to throw the whole summer back open for all the APs and make them all equivalent to Signature. No one is suggesting that.

But, you guys. They invested a TON in not just the land, but the new parking structure, the “project stardust” enhancements, etc. They completely reworked the AP system to block parks separately. They put in all those boards to show boarding group times. They expected massive crowds, and instead they’ve had the least crowded June in... a long time. I have no point of reference for the emptiness of the parks. I mean, they’ve got to be sweating bullets and in crisis mode about these attendance numbers.

They can’t let this keep going. And because they unblocked some passes last year (for limited days), I can absolutely see them doing that again. I actually think they kind of have to.

I also think the crowds are coming. They’re coming in the fall. When all the APs are back and all of the people who decided to “wait for the crowds to die down” all show up.

And goodness help us if ROTR opens.

Understand. But I'd still be irritated if I spent all that extra money and they opened up days to other tiers. Esp if I planned a vacation with my family and now those days are open to more than my top tier AP. (Yes, I am playing Devil's advocate, I do see your point.)

IMHO, the way to get the BIG revenue (seeing that they already have your AP money) is to fill the hotel rooms. Those rooms are wide open! Sitting there losing more money!! Offer discounts, offer a package deal. Get those rooms filled. Then people will stay onsite and not only buy park tickets, but food/beverage, and souvenirs.

Is it known when ROTR will open at WDW? If it opens at WDW before DLR, that might be another factor swaying people towards WDW if deciding between the two parks for a vacation.

Understand. But I'd still be irritated if I spent all that extra money and they opened up days to other tiers. Esp if I planned a vacation with my family and now those days are open to more than my top tier AP. (Yes, I am playing Devil's advocate, I do see your point.)

IMHO, the way to get the BIG revenue (seeing that they already have your AP money) is to fill the hotel rooms. Those rooms are wide open! Sitting there losing more money!! Offer discounts, offer a package deal. Get those rooms filled. Then people will stay onsite and not only buy park tickets, but food/beverage, and souvenirs.
We booked BWPPI for $250. If I could get Paradise Pier for $300, we’d switch even though it would be $50 more per night PLUS paying Disney for breakfast. But $450 a night? Not gonna happen.

Eh, they irritate people with ticket stuff all the time. And they unblocked passes last year and survived (and that created all kinds of nonsense). For every pissed-off Signature holder, you have a delightedly grateful and vocal-on-social-media Deluxe. And, I mean, I’m a Signature who wouldn’t care. I realize there are some people who would, but I think that’s a pretty small group to be honest.

I’d be annoyed if I’d bought a Deluxe pass just before Flex came out, personally. Flex Pass kicks Deluxe’s butt right now.

Anyway. Point being. They’re going to need to get more people in the parks. I’m curious to see how they’ll do it.

In the meantime, I’m going to be at Disneyland as often as possible!

Is it known when ROTR will open at WDW? If it opens at WDW before DLR, that might be another factor swaying people towards WDW if deciding between the two parks for a vacation.
I seriously doubt it would open first at WDW. They’re having technical issues on both rides and since the WDW version was 3 months behind DLR on construction, it seems very unlikely it would open first. What I’ve heard is they want to open ROTR before D23 at the end of August and I’ve heard December for WDW. Of course these are complete rumors and they could be way off.

I just can’t get over how uncrowded it is! I’ve been checking the app and wow low times!

There is an old saying, "be careful for what you want, you may just get it." Disney said they raised prices to bring down crowds. They got it.

Which might not be so bad for them if the price increases has evened out for them. Happier crowds overall may keep people in the park longer, and spending more money on stuff. If they’re standing in line for 2+ hours they might not be stopping to snack or shop as often.

Disneyland seems to be a little busier overall than yesterday but not too much. The land has yet to use the virtual queue today. Falcon has been 70+ minutes most of the day but nothing really higher than 110-120 minutes. This has been fascinating to watch.
I keep checking the app and I am amazed that not only is there no virtual queue but MFSR is at 45 minutes at 1:00pm!
Land still not at capacity?
Man, I can’t believe the low wait times in the rest of the park this afternoon! 5 pm and the only FP gone is RSR. 20 minutes for Indy. Space and TSMM are 60 and 45, but lots of other stuff is very reasonable and have FP return time of almost immediate or an hour or so. Amazing. And still, MFSR only 35.
I just can’t get over how uncrowded it is! I’ve been checking the app and wow low times!

I was there today and it was even better than what the app wait times showed. Indy was maybe 12 minutes when it was showing 20. Big Thunder was 10-15-ish and FP hardly made a difference there. Peter Pan was 20 minutes when we rode!

This was all late afternoon after we spent about 4 hours in Galaxy's Edge. Yep, there was no Boarding Pass situation at any point today! While we were in line for Oga's, someone came up to ask a CM if they were supposed to wait in line to get in. The CM explained about the reservations. The guest was clearly irritated that there was no way to get into the Cantina at that point for the rest of the day.

If you want to see some pics and a video (very cool thing that happened in Oga's!) of our time in SWGE today, I posted some here:

I was there today and it was even better than what the app wait times showed. Indy was maybe 12 minutes when it was showing 20. Big Thunder was 10-15-ish and FP hardly made a difference there. Peter Pan was 20 minutes when we rode!

This was all late afternoon after we spent about 4 hours in Galaxy's Edge. Yep, there was no Boarding Pass situation at any point today! While we were in line for Oga's, someone came up to ask a CM if they were supposed to wait in line to get in. The CM explained about the reservations. The guest was clearly irritated that there was no way to get into the Cantina at that point for the rest of the day.

If you want to see some pics and a video (very cool thing that happened in Oga's!) of our time in SWGE today, I posted some here:
Great photos, Kathleen! We can't wait for the opening at WDW as we plan to be there for it. We'd love to catch the AP previews if only they would let us know when they will be!

And we are completely changing our plans. In the car right now from our Sandiego Country area hotel to DL. We decided a 2 hour drive was worth the amazing low wait times. We will be cancelling the short trip we planned for August. We bought 2 day non hoppers tickets and will be doing DL today and DCA Friday.

A one day hopper costs about as much as 2 day non right now. Prices have gotten crazy. I could see people in the general LA, Anaheim, Sandiego area not wanting to pay $150 just for a day in Batuu. They went with the spring deal and they'll wait for next year's deal.

Looking forward to a magical day of lower crowds and cooler weather. We'll visit GE in the afternoon sometime. Hoping we can stay for the fireworks at 930 as we never experienced this show.

If anything I'm sure Disney has told the workers on RoR that overtime is required. The sooner they get that ride up and running, the faster the whole thing fills up.

They don't need to fill Galaxy's edge, they need to fill the rest of the park. I could see them unblocking Disneyland only. NO STAR WARS ACCESS. Come in, ride the old rides, but forget about Star Wars..... Olga's and Savi's are at capacity and filling the coffers. Alot of the merch is selling out. They don't need to make Galaxy's Edge any more crowded. In fact, low crowds is probably shaking loose alot of new trips this summer. All these blogs showing a less than full land is working to their advantage for future travelers. In fact I'd guess that if Disney gave a hard date for the opening of RoR, that date would sell out and deals would not exist.

Now, the one thing I do wonder about is the overlap of Star Wars fans and Disney fans. How many of the diehard "I want to live in Star Wars" people are also into Tinkerbell and Pooh? I've seen plenty of youtube videos from guys that have never made a Disney video in their lives.

In fact, low crowds is probably shaking loose alot of new trips this summer. All these blogs showing a less than full land is working to their advantage for future travelers. In fact I'd guess that if Disney gave a hard date for the opening of RoR, that date would sell out and deals would not exist.

Yep. I'm seeing all sorts of people figuring out ways to squeeze in trips they hadn't planned to take advantage. Low crowds != disappointment for Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter