Ugh! This is always how it is at opening?

They directed us around to the Critter Country entrance on Saturday 7/13 as well. We were at Frontierland but I think that people were lined up at Adventureland as well because I could see them coming toward Frontierland from the side.

How early did you get there and how long did it take to get through the ride?

We were let into the park around 7:35-7:40 (didn't have Magic Morning access) and went right to the Frontierland entrance. We were relatively close to the front. We walked fast when the rope dropped at 8, but there must have been a few hundred people in front of us (could see them strung all along the waterfront as we were walking). We went straight through SW:GE and the queue barely stopping, and we were done with the ride within 15-20 minutes. When we came out, the line for the ride stretched all through SW:GE.

No, I didn’t try this morning because we were sleeping in to recover from Comic Con. LOL. I’ll try in the morning, then. Just annoying that it’s showing blue “available” slots but no availability. Thank you for the quick response!
The “blue” slots are just times that haven’t happened yet that day, not open reservation times. That is, if you look at the app at 1pm, all the times prior to 1pm will be grey and all the times after 1pm will be blue, but when you click on the blue times, it will THEN tell you if that slot is available to book. The grey and blue just show you that the grey time slots have already passed, so don’t waste your time clicking them, I guess, and the blue times slots are still in the future for that day! Good luck, and definitely get on there right at 7am PST to make your reservation.

Hmmmm that is interesting. I wonder if it’s because the Disney rewards card is kind of like a gift card?

I bought one of the metal gift cards yesterday (finally!) and it’s amazing... we love it!
It was weird. The Rewards Card buys gift cards just fine off planet, but the CM could not get her register to recognize it as payment. She said that she did know that it should work, but the system wouldn't accept it. So, maybe just a glitch on Batuu? Or just a glitch at that particular register? I haven't tried using my Rewards Card to buy anything else yet in GE. And the card worked just fine at WOD later the same evening.

My family of 3 (split into me and dd, dh in another group) were all given engineer slots initially. Dd wound up with pilot position after the group we were with had a family fight. Yeah, good times on that trip. 🙄

No toontown-take-two, I hope. :( Were they fighting over the positions?? How awful. Hopefully your DD enjoyed the pilot seat and showed those misbehaving adults how to handle that Falcon!! ;)

No toontown-take-two, I hope. :( Were they fighting over the positions?? How awful. Hopefully your DD enjoyed the pilot seat and showed those misbehaving adults how to handle that Falcon!! ;)

Sorry...somehow I missed the second page of all this! Getting caught up now...whoops! 😬

Follow-up to yesterday’s question about getting an Olga’s reservation: Since I’ve had 2 CM’s tell me that all reservations are gone by 7:20 am, I asked an Oga’s line CM about tips for getting a reservation when we visited SWGE last night. She recommended logging into the website (since the app redirects to the website anyway) or calling. The website was completely useless this morning and kept crashing, so I called Disney Dining, who redirected me to the SWGE info line, and I managed to get an afternoon reservation for 10 people! Yay!

My advice based on this is just to just call the SWGE info line at 714-300-7805. YMMV, but I waited less than one minute on the phone. And FWIW, we visited SWGE during the fireworks last night, and not only was it incredibly beautiful, but the wait for MFSR was less than 30 min (posted 50 min). Great way to end the day!

Thankfully, this family brawl was very tame (albeit annoying.) No Toon Town Take 2. WHEW!! 😆

They were initially fighting over positions, but it snowballed into much more. It was a hot mess.

YES! My daughter did do quite well in the pilots seat. I was that same pilot on our first run (she wanted to be engineer our first time) and she crashed in the beginning right were I did. :p But she did really well after that. God bless her, she tried getting the mom's attention to hit buttons and fly the vertical position, but rude mom was too busy doing anything other than enjoying the ride. :rolleyes2

Follow-up to yesterday’s question about getting an Olga’s reservation: Since I’ve had 2 CM’s tell me that all reservations are gone by 7:20 am, I asked an Oga’s line CM about tips for getting a reservation when we visited SWGE last night. She recommended logging into the website (since the app redirects to the website anyway) or calling. The website was completely useless this morning and kept crashing, so I called Disney Dining, who redirected me to the SWGE info line, and I managed to get an afternoon reservation for 10 people! Yay!

My advice based on this is just to just call the SWGE info line at 714-300-7805. YMMV, but I waited less than one minute on the phone. And FWIW, we visited SWGE during the fireworks last night, and not only was it incredibly beautiful, but the wait for MFSR was less than 30 min (posted 50 min). Great way to end the day!

I was having problems with the website on a computer one morning; however, when I tried the app, which did redirect me to a webpage, it worked:confused3

Thanks for that tip! I am nervous about day-of reservations because I'm a planner, so that makes me feel better.

Hi all,

We will be DL/DCA starting on Aug. 17 (Sat.) We plan to avoid EE at DL that day and hit DCA first, ride everything we can, fill up on FPs, and then head to DL late-morning.

On Sunday, Aug. 18, we plan to hit SWGE at rope drop and just wait it out so that we can ride Smugglers' Run at least once.

I have been watching the app and it seems wait times for SR are starting to get longer (although nowhere near as bad as RSR was).

We will be there for the rest of the week, but I am anticipating the parks getting more crowded towards the end of the week because of D23.

Do you think hitting SWGE at rope drop is the best plan? I don't want to wait until late evening hours for the line to dwindle. I can't stay up that late anymore! :rotfl:

I appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks!

First off, I have read most of this thread. It's a LOT of info and speculation. What I can't find are strategies on how to get into SWGE. I see lots of people hit rope drop and wait for the first massive push. I also read that others stay away. I can't even tell if the virtual queue is still in place...

My husband is a gigantic SW fan. As a kid, his parents went through a terrible divorce and SW was his refuge. We have a two day trip in November and I want him to be able to experience SWGE using the knowledge from the DIS members. Seriously this visit, for him, is right up there with the birth of our kids (and I'm totally okay with that). Have I missed a "this is how you do SWGE" strategy post?

First off, I have read most of this thread. It's a LOT of info and speculation. What I can't find are strategies on how to get into SWGE. I see lots of people hit rope drop and wait for the first massive push. I also read that others stay away. I can't even tell if the virtual queue is still in place...

My husband is a gigantic SW fan. As a kid, his parents went through a terrible divorce and SW was his refuge. We have a two day trip in November and I want him to be able to experience SWGE using the knowledge from the DIS members. Seriously this visit, for him, is right up there with the birth of our kids (and I'm totally okay with that). Have I missed a "this is how you do SWGE" strategy post?
The virtual queue has not been needed since the first morning of opening day. You can walk into the land at any time.

I personally would avoid the mad rush first thing in the morning. Use early morning to enjoy other parts of the park while the crowds rush SWGE. Then head over to Star Wars late morning. If you want to experience the cantina or build a lightsaber at Savi’s you need to log on to the website at 7am that morning to secure a reservation.

I think a lot of us are still trying to figure that out. Things are still changing with how Disney is running SWGE, so we are all giving it a go and seeing what works. I think as you get closer to the date of your trip, the information will be better solidified. I think that with way it is still evolving any information you get now may not apply by November. Just keep checking this post, especially closer to your date.
BTW, I think he will love it when you get here.

BTW, I think he will love it when you get here.
He has already said that he will probably cry. Happy tears are the best kind.

I personally would avoid the mad rush first thing in the morning. Use early morning to enjoy other parts of the park while the crowds rush SWGE. Then head over to Star Wars late morning. If you want to experience the cantina or build a lightsaber at Savi’s you need to log on to the website at 7am that morning to secure a reservation.
Perfect. We loved DL before SWGE, so we'll hit our favorites first.

Hi all,

We will be DL/DCA starting on Aug. 17 (Sat.) We plan to avoid EE at DL that day and hit DCA first, ride everything we can, fill up on FPs, and then head to DL late-morning.

On Sunday, Aug. 18, we plan to hit SWGE at rope drop and just wait it out so that we can ride Smugglers' Run at least once.

I have been watching the app and it seems wait times for SR are starting to get longer (although nowhere near as bad as RSR was).

We will be there for the rest of the week, but I am anticipating the parks getting more crowded towards the end of the week because of D23.

Do you think hitting SWGE at rope drop is the best plan? I don't want to wait until late evening hours for the line to dwindle. I can't stay up that late anymore! :rotfl:

Since it seems your main question is about SWGE and MFSR, I'm moving this to the SWGE Superthread where our resident experts can give you good advice.

Hi all,

So, I’ve rope-dropped two Sunday mornings in July (with $99 promotion guests).

One time, we did hit SWGE first. We’re both fast walkers who were able to stay at the front of the pack and get on MFSR with about a 15-minute wait. What you have to realize, though, is that this is a rope-drop MARATHON, from Frontierland/Adventureland all the way around, through Critter Country, and through the entirety of SWGE. Also, I knew exactly where I was going the whole time, which gave us a serious leg up over many of the rope-droppers.

If you can’t stay at the front for that whole slog, you’re going to get hit with the longest wait time of the day.

And you don’t have to wait for “late evening” if you’re willing to wait 45-60 minutes; I’ve ridden it with that kind of wait anytime from noon-5pm several times in the last two weeks. Although wait times for everything are increasing, it’s still currently dropping under an hour a few times each afternoon... and it’s still at two hours right after rope drop each day.

The other time we rope-dropped on Sunday (last week), we walked onto Alice, Teacups, Dumbo, Mr. Toad’s, Storybook, Matterhorn, and Star Tours in the first hour. We scanned in at Hyperspace Mountain at 9am. So, I mean, I’d do that, personally, but I understand that some may still choose to try SWGE at rope drop. Just know that you’ll need to be fast and jostling for position for a long stretch of walking.

Thank you for this information. I am a seasoned AP and doing this kind of rope drop with my two seasoned teens would be easy. However, my brother is coming out early August with his 4 kids ranging in age from 3 to 11 along with other extended family. SWGE is a must, but I don't think trying to get them all corralled into the front and having them keep up will work. We will hit SWGE in the afternoon and just plan to wait in the line.

Anyone know what the lines are like late morning? Still very long? What about early afternoon, about 1-ish?

Hey everyone. We are booking our trip this week for the first week of October. It sure how Busy DL is but school in and no holidays it could be a good time.

What’s the best strategy for GE? Get in line a few hrs early? Just make a mad dash. Lol

Thanks

So, I’ve rope-dropped two Sunday mornings in July (with $99 promotion guests).

One time, we did hit SWGE first. We’re both fast walkers who were able to stay at the front of the pack and get on MFSR with about a 15-minute wait. What you have to realize, though, is that this is a rope-drop MARATHON, from Frontierland/Adventureland all the way around, through Critter Country, and through the entirety of SWGE. Also, I knew exactly where I was going the whole time, which gave us a serious leg up over many of the rope-droppers.

If you can’t stay at the front for that whole slog, you’re going to get hit with the longest wait time of the day.

And you don’t have to wait for “late evening” if you’re willing to wait 45-60 minutes; I’ve ridden it with that kind of wait anytime from noon-5pm several times in the last two weeks. Although wait times for everything are increasing, it’s still currently dropping under an hour a few times each afternoon... and it’s still at two hours right after rope drop each day.

The other time we rope-dropped on Sunday (last week), we walked onto Alice, Teacups, Dumbo, Mr. Toad’s, Storybook, Matterhorn, and Star Tours in the first hour. We scanned in at Hyperspace Mountain at 9am. So, I mean, I’d do that, personally, but I understand that some may still choose to try SWGE at rope drop. Just know that you’ll need to be fast and jostling for position for a long stretch of walking.
What time did you get there for rope drop?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter