New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

I do love that word because it reminds me of Ed Wynn in the original Mary Poppins being so happy and merry.

My favorites all along have been Believe, Wish and Imagine. My personal feeling is that Disney might not go with some of the longer names with more than one syllable.

That’s an excellent point that I had not considered in my short list. Wonder is two syllables and Fantasy is Three, but I agree that Disney May desire to keep them to one or two syllables which really shortens this list.

Fantasy rolls off the Tongue really well for 3 syllables.

Last edited:

I would like to suggest Castle since every Disney park has one and then the sea would have one too.

And ‘Ohana since the ships are all about family.

I would like to suggest Castle since every Disney park has one and then the sea would have one too.

And ‘Ohana since the ships are all about family.

Good ones -- will add to page one. [Maybe if they name one 'Ohana they will keep it in Hawaii ;)]

Good ones -- will add to page one. [Maybe if they name one 'Ohana they will keep it in Hawaii ;)]

No current DCL ships, nor the 3 being built, are eligible to be homeported in Hawaii and operate around the islands, as they do not meet the following criteria:
- US-flagged
- US-built
- Majority US citizen crewed
So, while the first and third criteria could be eventually be met, with a large increase in costs, there is no way around the fact that all 7 ships were/are not built in the US. So that means the ships can only make either one-way itineraries from the main land (Canada or Mexico directly, or a US port with a distant foreign port added to the transit [not really economical]), or make round-trips out of Canada or Mexico.

No current DCL ships, nor the 3 being built, are eligible to be homeported in Hawaii and operate around the islands, as they do not meet the following criteria:
- US-flagged
- US-built
- Majority US citizen crewed
So, while the first and third criteria could be eventually be met, with a large increase in costs, there is no way around the fact that all 7 ships were/are not built in the US. So that means the ships can only make either one-way itineraries from the main land (Canada or Mexico directly, or a US port with a distant foreign port added to the transit [not really economical]), or make round-trips out of Canada or Mexico.

Yes, this has been discussed on many a thread -- it was just a wishful thought, that's all. :thumbsup2

Sorry, been off the boards for a while. I have updated page one with your suggestions.

Anymore news/articles I can update page one with?
Not sure if this was mentioned either but at least 2 of the new ships are going to PC. At least 1 if not both Dream class will move to Miami. According to PC the first nb could be here in Nov of 21.

I can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned yet...
I think one of the new ships will be named the “Disney Experience”

Sorry if this has been covered already but would it be an option to move a Dream class ship to the west coast permanently?

I understand Dream or Fantasy can't use the Panama canal but if it's done on a semi-permanent basis it's a once and done thing and gives them better options for the Pacific cruises.

They could continue to bring the Wonder over for Alaska to have two ships for the summer up there. Then send the Wonder back east sooner to cover the New Orleans and other routes while Dream/Fantasy stays out west and covers the San Diego cruises, Hawaii, etc...

Sorry if this has been covered already but would it be an option to move a Dream class ship to the west coast permanently?

I understand Dream or Fantasy can't use the Panama canal but if it's done on a semi-permanent basis it's a once and done thing and gives them better options for the Pacific cruises.

They could continue to bring the Wonder over for Alaska to have two ships for the summer up there. Then send the Wonder back east sooner to cover the New Orleans and other routes while Dream/Fantasy stays out west and covers the San Diego cruises, Hawaii, etc...

They could absolutely do that, they would just have to sail all the way around South America. They could also send the relocating ship to Europe for a season first and then on to the pacific through the Suez Canal.

Is this still true with the new canal?

Yes. While the Dream class (and based on the artist renditions, the 3 new ships are derivations thereof) can fit through the PANAMAX locks (new locks), they cannot fit under the Bridge of the Americas; they're too tall and their mast isn't retractable. It's not an awesome design to have a retractable mast for ship stability and mounting antennas up there, but it is possible which would allow the new class to transit the Canal via the PANAMAX locks.

Just food for thought, but on another board, someone who is connected to DCL, mentioned Disney does not like to repeat initials. Internally the ships are know as DM DW DD AND DF. So any names if this is true, that begin with an existing ships letter, most likely won't be used.

Very interesting point.

I can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned yet...
I think one of the new ships will be named the “Disney Experience”

Good one -- added to page one.

What about the Disney Happiness

Also a great one -- added to page one.

WOW, the list of name suggestions has really grown!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!