New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

But really only Triton has a Disney tie, and he is already featured as a restaurant on Disney Wonder.
This is true, but it all depends on where they take the names from. I honestly dont know if Disney is holding themselves to a tie in to themselves. Someone new may have said let's do this instead. And were also assuming the Triton class isn't a code name. Disney very secretive when they want to be as we've seen.

Triton would be a neat name, but it could be a ruse name. Like when Return of the Jedi was being called "Blue Heaven" (I think) during production and filming

“Blue Harvest”.

“Triton” would make sense for obvious reasons, but Disney knows how to play the PR game. Either that’s a placeholder/code name, or it’s an intentional leak to suss out the fan community’s reaction. I highly doubt that was an accidental reveal of the real name.

I’m not going to read too much into it. They’ll announce it when they announce it. And the name of the ships don’t interest me as much as the new/different features they’ll have, and where they will sail.

Last edited:
Also, isn't there a maritime tradition of naming ships after women, not men? It would make more sense to name the ship the Ariel, if they were going for the Little Mermaid themed names.

Oh lordy lordy lordy I hope they don't name one of them Poseidon :rotfl2:

I am sure there is a younger member of whatever team in is charge of coming up with the names who doesn’t appreciate the cinematic history of that ship name.

Young person: <all excited> “What about ... ‘Poseidon’?!? Doesn’t that sound awesome?”

<blank stares from others; crickets; tumbleweeds>

Young person: <nonplussed> “What?”

Last edited:

Disney Magic
Disney Wonder
Disney Dream
Disney Fantasy
Don't know any women with those names.
I meant if the ship was given a "human" name, it was a female one, not a male one. Name one ship that has the name of a man? There are plenty named after women.

I meant if the ship was given a "human" name, it was a female one, not a male one. Name one ship that has the name of a man? There are plenty named after women.

USS Ronald Reagan, USS George H W Bush, USS Abraham Lincoln, USS George Washington, USS Dwight D Eisenhower, USS John C Stennis, USS Theodore Roosevelt, USS Harry S Truman, USS Gerald Ford, USS John F Kennedy, USS Carl Vinson, USS Nimitz, etc.

With all of the American media going on, I doubt they would choose any gendered name. I agree with a PP that Triton is not the real name.

USS Ronald Reagan, USS George H W Bush, USS Abraham Lincoln, USS George Washington, USS Dwight D Eisenhower, USS John C Stennis, USS Theodore Roosevelt, USS Harry S Truman, USS Gerald Ford, USS John F Kennedy, USS Carl Vinson, USS Nimitz, etc.
Fair enough. Although, I would think that military ships would be an exception. But I will concede.

Also, isn't there a maritime tradition of naming ships after women, not men? It would make more sense to name the ship the Ariel, if they were going for the Little Mermaid themed names.
The tradition or one of is to refer to a ship in female form and to have godmothers and female sponsors. Theres any number of Male named ships. The US carriers with 1 or 2 exceptions are all named after presidents. Oops. sorry, just now saw the other post.

I wouldn’t mind “Triton” in the least. However, while it sounds cool and mighty and powerful, it doesn’t quite fall in line with the softer, gentler, more touchy-feely names of the existing ships, does it?

My money is still on words that are Disney’s stock-in-trade like “Wish,” “Imagination,” “Adventure,” etc.

Disney are the ones that turned "Triton" into a name, just because we associate it with the character from TLM doesn't necessarily make it "masculine" in itself.

The word "triton" itself is defined as (per Google) "a large mollusc which has a tall spiral shell with a large aperture, living in tropical and subtropical seas." Official name or codename, maybe they are choosing words that are tied to both the ocean and Disney.

Triton was the herald of Poseidon, a fish tailed sea god

Yeah they could all actually be like the Mermaid class things that are synonymous with Mermaids. Triton is not a bad name though. Could go kind of two ways with the imagery one Romantic and the other Powerful...

Still liking at least 2 of my choices Enchantment and Imagine (alternatively Imagination)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!