New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by RedSox68, Sep 13, 2016.

1. dmunsil

dmunsil Disney Uber-Nerd

Here's my guess as to deployment once all 3 new ships are done. I base this in part on looking at what other cruise lines are doing and assuming Disney will do something similar. It seems likely that when the first new ship comes, it'll get sent to Alaska in the summer. Every cruise line is expanding their Alaska presence right now, and the fares for Alaska are quite high. Whether it goes back to the Caribbean in the winter or heads to Asia/Australia is the big question. I'm going to guess Asia/Australia, as that's a big growth area.

So all in, I'm predicting with all 7 ships operating:

- Winter: 5 ships in Caribbean/Bahamas (New2, New3 and Dream out of Port Canaveral, Magic out of Galveston, Fantasy out of Miami), 1 ship in Australia/Asia (New1), 1 ship doing West coast, Hawaii, Mexico, possibly S America (Wonder).

- Summer: 3 ships in Caribbean/Bahamas (Dream, Fantasy, New3 out of Port Canaveral), 2 ships in Alaska (Wonder out of Vancouver, New1 out of Seattle), 2 ships in Europe (Magic in N Europe, Iceland, Norway; New2 in Mediterranean).

disneycruise100 and ChicosWife like this.
  2. RedSox68

RedSox68 Just working to pay for cruising

That's what I was thinking. I think a name like Disney Kingdom would be the same confusing situation -- you have the Magic Kingdom, and Animal Kingdom already.

Yes, and it would accomplish two tie-ins -- the Marvel franchise, and the fact that the Disney ships are a marvel ;)

GatorMomInNC and ChicosWife like this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. ChicosWife

ChicosWife The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!

I like these theories!!!!

southerngirl528 likes this.
  5. ChicosWife

ChicosWife The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!

I like for names:

Disney Enchantment
    Disney Infinity
    Disney Imagination

For itineraries, I like (and hope for):

More Caribbean itineraries (including islands not currently visited, like Turks & Caicos)
    Permanent Hawaiian itinerary or two
    Maybe more Mediterranean or European itineraries.

:dogdance:

6. RedSox68

Yes, please -- change up the Caribbean itineraries for goodness sake! But on a regular basis, not as a one or two time special each year or so. When you look at other cruise lines, they have such a huge variation in their port itineraries each year, adding new ones, taking out old (been done too many times) ones. I wish Disney would do more 10 and 11 night itineraries in the Caribbean, too. :thumbsup2

7. Stitch1027

Stitch1027 Earning My Ears

I personally really like the names: Disney Believe, Disney Wish, Disney Discovery, Disney Adventure and Disney Imagination. For some reason though, I think Disney tries to go with names that are more elegant-just something to think about.

southerngirl528 and darnheather like this.
  8. RedSox68

I personally think that from all the names so far suggested on page one, that the following are my favorite and could be considered "classy": Disney Believe, Disney Enchantment, Disney Imagine/Imagination and Disney Wish/Wishes.

Isn't the first ship sailing in 2021? How far in advance did they announce the names for the last two ships?

9. WDW&DCLADDICT

WDW&DCLADDICT DIS Veteran

knowing Disney names probably wont be released until about a year out

10. DynamicDisneyDuo

DynamicDisneyDuo DIS Veteran

They announced the names for the Dream-class ships in March 2009, the same month the first steel was cut for the Dream. The Dream set sail January 2011, so just shy of 2 years after the names were released.

11. JWG

JWG DIS Veteran

Given the PC expansion and upgrade plans (including Disney using Terminal 10 on a part-time basis), I imagine there will be more than 3 ships in PC during the winter. They have 3 there now and don't need any additional port help. Something tells me they'll have 4-5 there during the winter if they need additional terminal space.

12. truck1

truck1 Growing older but not up.

From the way I read the announcement, DCL is going to have at least 2 ships in port on the same day. Not necessarily during just the winter. I can see DCL doing just say for argument's sake the fantasy doing a 7-Day Eastern followed by a 7-Day Western the following week with say for argument's sake the dream doing a Western and then an eastern both leaving on Saturday one from 8 the other from 10. There's any number of possibilities I can come up with off the top of my head for two ships to be in Port simultaneously

Spork24 likes this.
  13. Spork24

Spork24 Mr. Blue Bird on my shoulder

The second port is 100% to allow 2 ships to port on the same day. Does that mean more than 3 in winter, or just 3 year round with departures on the same day? only time will tell.

14. truck1

True. when I'm at work Tom I'll have to go back and find the ports announcement and reread it. I'd do it now but my 11 month old is in my lap and that limits my laptop ability at the moment.

15. Spork24

Spork24 Mr. Blue Bird on my shoulder

It didn’t specify that I saw when 10 would be used by Disney, but Norwegian isn’t currently using 10 on Saturdays (at least during the summer schedule this year). That’s what makes me think Disney wants the ability to port 2 ships on Saturday.

16. TestingH2O

TestingH2O DIS Veteran

I wonder about the Panama Canal cruise though. Those are huge sellers for DCL. Some lines do it multiple times a year. They would be nice and perhaps open up a PC option during more typical vacation times.

RedSox68 likes this.
  17. truck1

Still have to find the article, but its probably not something that will happen this year. Most likely at the earliest next or even later then that. Reason is that they approved a 90 study for terminal 10, and that puts us towards the end of this year. Then they come up with options, goes out to bid for say another 60 days, then a projected start date, so were not looking at anything being done until probably at the earliest middle of next year. That's not to say that Disney wont use 10 in the mean time, but on a as needed basis.
    Still looking for the actual port announcement for the time line, but I did find this tidbit.

"But with Disney planning to add new ships in 2021, 2022 and 2023, Port Canaveral Chief Executive Officer John Murray told port commissioners that the port needs to be ready to host one of those new ships.

Disney's "intention, longer-term, is to add another full-time vessel to the port, home-ported," Murray told port commissioners. "So we'll have more activity than Terminal 8 can handle.""

mmouse37 likes this.
  18. Quellman

Quellman Donald Duck

19. truck1

Quellman likes this.
  20. KashasMom

KashasMom DIS Veteran

How about a new ship from NYC in the summer with some interesting itineraries - maybe some 9 nights cruises? And more pools!!

21. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

Agreed!!! I know a lot of people who would love to cruise DCL out of NYC (it's super nice to be able to get to the port on only a $2.75 subway ride!!) but cannot do so when school is in session - which is currently the time they are here. When they could do the "cruise to nowhere" thing, the 2-nights sold out super quick because they didn't involve missing school.

KashasMom likes this.