New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Agreed!!! I know a lot of people who would love to cruise DCL out of NYC (it's super nice to be able to get to the port on only a $2.75 subway ride!!) but cannot do so when school is in session - which is currently the time they are here. When they could do the "cruise to nowhere" thing, the 2-nights sold out super quick because they didn't involve missing school.
maybe Disney will use one ship to run year round Bermuda, Canada and New England, and Florida+ Bahamas cruises; kind of like NCL. They would than have one running Alaska,Mexico, an pacific coast. 2-3 Ships running from PC, and one alternating Europe and the Caribbean from a gulf coast port, or miami

Last edited:
How about a new ship from NYC in the summer with some interesting itineraries - maybe some 9 nights cruises? And more pools!!

I saw a cool Celebrity itinerary out of Cape Liberty, NJ that went up the New England coast to Halifax and was in port in Boston for 4th of July. They also have summer itineraries that do Bermuda and New England, which seems like the best of both worlds to me--start with warm beaches and end with the cooler New England weather.

I saw a cool Celebrity itinerary out of Cape Liberty, NJ that went up the New England coast to Halifax and was in port in Boston for 4th of July. They also have summer itineraries that do Bermuda and New England, which seems like the best of both worlds to me--start with warm beaches and end with the cooler New England weather.
Yeah i also saw that one, and really want to do it, but maybe after another Bermuda.

How about a new ship from NYC in the summer with some interesting itineraries - maybe some 9 nights cruises? And more pools!!

Absolutely would love this -- they have so many possibilities on the East Coast other than PC -- NYC, Boston and Baltimore would be so convenient and allow for so many extended itineraries.

We've done Carnival twice through New England and Canada and loved the itineraries and ports. HAL has a great one that leaves Quebec to NYC for a 10-night cruise. We loved that one. That would be another great itinerary for Disney. And Disney needs to include some ports in Maine!

Last edited:
It's four years this year since we've done a Disney cruise. I would love to have done Norway with Disney, but need the costs to come down! I miss them, but just cannot justify the costs compared to other lines.

We've done Carnival twice through New England and Canada and loved the itineraries and ports. HAL has a great one that leaves Quebec to NYC for a 10-night cruise. We loved that one. That would be another great itinerary for Disney. And Disney needs to include some ports in Maine!

We are doing the 7 night Quebec to NY on September 27th.....I don't think this itinerary sold very well as they were offering all kinds of discounts...military, FL res, Canadian Res, CM, *GT, etc. I would love it also stopped in Maine or Boston. We have 3 Canadian ports.

MJ

Haha Boston is anything but cool in the summer. On the 4th it was over 90. Maine is cooler though.

We are doing the 7 night Quebec to NY on September 27th.....I don't think this itinerary sold very well as they were offering all kinds of discounts...military, FL res, Canadian Res, CM, *GT, etc. I would love it also stopped in Maine or Boston. We have 3 Canadian ports.

MJ

That's a great time of year to go -- might still see Fall foliage. Is this on the Magic? Are you flying to Quebec or driving? We rented a car one-way and drove to Montreal for three nights, then to Quebec. Great cities! Have fun.

When do you think they will announce itineraries for each upcoming ship?
Interesting question. No doubt they need to have port calls arranged well ahead of the first sailing. They would certainly also need to have sold the cruises many months ahead. I'm guessing 18 months before the inaugural cruise.

Haven't there been some problems with a couple of the ships sailing on time and original inauguration reservations having to be moved to other dates?

Haven't there been some problems with a couple of the ships sailing on time and original inauguration reservations having to be moved to other dates?
The Magic and Wonder were both delayed due to construction issues 2 ships in front of the Magic in Fincatieri. The Magic was delayed and the Wonder also to a lesser extent. The Magic had its date moved 2x from the original and the Wonder once after the original The Dream was on time and the Fantasy 1 week earlier then originally advertised.

The Magic and Wonder were both delayed due to construction issues 2 ships in front of the Magic in Fincatieri. The Magic was delayed and the Wonder also to a lesser extent. The Magic had its date moved 2x from the original and the Wonder once after the original The Dream was on time and the Fantasy 1 week earlier then originally advertised.

Thanks. Good to know -- just hoping we can afford at least one of the inaugural sailings (yeah, when elephants fly)!

When do you think they will announce itineraries for each upcoming ship?

one will be on the 3 and 4 night Bahama cruise the other rotating eastern and western 7 night cruises. The special cruises will mainly be on the 4 older ships. Maybe one new one will go somewhere new and exciting. This doesn’t answer your question thou as you wanted to know when not where they were going.

Last edited:
This isn't Disney news, but with the speculation about stationing a ship in Asia, I thought it was interesting.

NCL built the Joy especially for the Chinese market. It was designed for Asian tastes, the food was mostly Asian, the primary language was Mandarin, etc. Well, after just two years they announced today that they are pulling it from China, spending $50 million :scared1: to renovate it and moving it to the west coast of the US to sail Alaskan and Mexican cruises. They are replacing the Joy in Asia by renovating the tiny Spirit (one of their smallest and oldest ships) and sending it over to China "seasonally". It appears they seriously miscalculated the demand for their product in Asia.

I've pretty much always assumed that Disney would put a ship somewhere in Asia, given their huge theme park presence in the region. Now I'm beginning to wonder. I was reading about the Joy change over on another website and someone mentioned that Princess recently recalled a large ship from China as well. I have no idea if that's actually the case, but maybe the Asian cruising market isn't as lucrative as many of us thought? I still think if anyone can make it work, it would be Disney. There is obviously a demand for their unique product in Asia.

Time will tell.

This isn't Disney news, but with the speculation about stationing a ship in Asia, I thought it was interesting.

NCL built the Joy especially for the Chinese market. It was designed for Asian tastes, the food was mostly Asian, the primary language was Mandarin, etc. Well, after just two years they announced today that they are pulling it from China, spending $50 million :scared1: to renovate it and moving it to the west coast of the US to sail Alaskan and Mexican cruises. They are replacing the Joy in Asia by renovating the tiny Spirit (one of their smallest and oldest ships) and sending it over to China "seasonally". It appears they seriously miscalculated the demand for their product in Asia.

I've pretty much always assumed that Disney would put a ship somewhere in Asia, given their huge theme park presence in the region. Now I'm beginning to wonder. I was reading about the Joy change over on another website and someone mentioned that Princess recently recalled a large ship from China as well. I have no idea if that's actually the case, but maybe the Asian cruising market isn't as lucrative as many of us thought? I still think if anyone can make it work, it would be Disney. There is obviously a demand for their unique product in Asia.

Time will tell.

From what I've read, the market, while potentially there, is VERY demanding in a very different way than the Western market. As in there was a cruise a couple of years ago (RCCL I believe) where because of WEATHER that was DANGEROUS they rerouted the cruise - as it clearly states in the cruise contract. Well, people on board were so upset they did not get the cruise itinerary they were supposed to, they staged a sit-in on debarkation day and had to be removed by law enforcement. Because the cruise line thought that keeping them safe was more important than hitting the itinerary that was scheduled.

As an aside, one of my tour guides in Rome told us about the increasing tourism from Asian countries. Guided tours in Italy (or at least Rome) are required to have an Italian guide with them, but the Asian companies do not trust the Italian guides. So they will "have an Italian guide" with them, but that person's only thing that the Asian-based company allows them to do is carry the flag or umbrella or identifying thing. The Asian tour provider is doing the tour themselves. But skirting the rules in that way. So I wonder if there are things like that attitude entering in as well.

Time will tell.
That's true, but a part of the reason is the investor pressure on NCL to drive revenues and margins right here right now. The stock has been under a lot of pressure over the last 6 months.

Four months in Alaska (and Northern Europe) is where the big margins are today. Asia, on the other hand, is the long game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter