Minimum for direct benefits raising on 10/1

Apeters430

Mouseketeer
Was told today that the minimum for blue card is raising to 125 points on 10/1. I’m sorry but WHAT??!! What are they thinking?? Most direct benefits are absolutely useless right now. You can not even buy an annual pass if you’re a new member. I kindly told my rep “No Thank You” and went back to looking at resale contracts.

Maybe APs will be back on sale by then???? Or we are going to see new perks?

It is surprising that it’s going up only after one year at 100.

Maybe APs will be back on sale by then???? Or we are going to see new perks?

It is surprising that it’s going up only after one year at 100.
I was very close to buying direct. I was kind of just holding out to see if there would be better bonuses or buy in incentives after the current ones are expired (9/16). Im currently waiting on 100pt resale contract to pass ROFR but was still interested in buying 100pts direct for mostly APs discounts and a little FOMO 😂 I’m still interested in 125pts for direct buy in but there would have to be some hard to pass up discounts or benefits included. If not I’ll go back to looking for some more resale contracts

So friends of mine where discussing how they could increase sales. Really feel like they should be more aggressive then what they did. They could offer lower interest rates, with no down payment, more incentives, etc. etc....Upper management had plenty of time to figure a better way of jumpstarting there sales then just offering price discounts on already expensive points,
I have always bought direct until recently, mainly due to the high cost of buying direct. Just my thoughts....

So friends of mine where discussing how they could increase sales. Really feel like they should be more aggressive then what they did. They could offer lower interest rates, with no down payment, more incentives, etc. etc....Upper management had plenty of time to figure a better way of jumpstarting there sales then just offering price discounts on already expensive points,
I have always bought direct until recently, mainly due to the high cost of buying direct. Just my thoughts....
They are buying back resale contracts so either there is a demand or they are prepping for a future offer that might create alot of demand. If there is no additional incentives, sign bonuses or discounts along with the point increase I will be absolutely lost on what they are trying to accomplish.

They are buying back resale contracts

A dozen or so contracts after not exercising ROFR a single time this summer. The only ROFR reported this week was a BLT @ $130 that passed.

A single day doesn't mean much. There is a point increase coming so there will be some jumping in to buy before the point requirement goes up (I likely will be one of them).

A dozen or so contracts after not exercising ROFR a single time this summer. The only ROFR reported this week was a BLT @ $130 that passed.

A single day doesn't mean much. There is a point increase coming so there will be some jumping in to buy before the point requirement goes up (I likely will be one of them).
Rumor has it that it was done, because they were starting to get a waitlist for several resorts. It is easy money for them, not as easy or as much as selling a new resort. I think they could sell a lot more of the sold out resorts if they tried to.

With the point chart at Riviera it makes sense to raise the minimum to 125 points. Hard to get anything more than a long weekend with only 100 points. At 125 minimum you can go every other year and get 1 bedroom for more that just a weekend. I fully expect all future resorts are going to have similar point charts, maybe even more points per night.

With the point chart at Riviera it makes sense to raise the minimum to 125 points. Hard to get anything more than a long weekend with only 100 points. At 125 minimum you can go every other year and get 1 bedroom for more that just a weekend. I fully expect all future resorts are going to have similar point charts, maybe even more points per night.
I think they are greedy with the points charts at RIV. A tower studio is more points that a full studio at other resorts. It’s the most expensive closet you’ll stay in. DVC is going to have to step back and look at things. DVC in California will sell out fast. I think RIV will still be for sale direct for 3 more years. I’d rather stay in a 3 bedroom GV at OKW than a 1 bedroom at RIV.

Last edited:
Sorry, but what about the people who bought under the 125 direct points will they be "grandfathered" in???
I'm not buying anymore points to keep Disney happy.

Sorry, but what about the people who bought under the 125 direct points will they be "grandfathered" in???
I'm not buying anymore points to keep Disney happy.
It depends on when you bought. There are now like 4? tiers of DVC members.

Technically I have 4 contacts .
3 are AKV 50 pts each
1 OKW 100
Not happy that this could happen on has happened.
I dont think this is the time for Disney to raise the Direct point allotment in order to to get "discounts ".
This is just wrong in my opinion.

The way I understand is it is the minimum purchase to be a full DVC member with perks. People should be able to do the math and figure out how many points they need otherwise. We have 120 resale points at SSR. When we started looking into the resale market the minimum for being a full member was low, 25-50 maybe? That was something we could do and planned on it, but didn't get in before they changed the rules. We just don't need to double our points, being a mid-thirties couple with no kids.

I understand that is Disney's plan, they want that money direct, but for me it just means that we will likely never buy any points direct. The perks just aren't worth it for us.

Everytime DVC has raised the minimum for membership extras, it hasn't taken long to find a person on these boards who say "I'm going to buy X points for the blue card." No matter what DVC sets it at, there will always be people with FOMO who will shell out the extra dough.

By raising it to 100, they eliminated the "workaround" of getting a resale first and then adding on, since 100 is no different than the advertised minimum. 75 to 100 didn't dissuade ppl, but maybe 100 to 125 will.

Everytime DVC has raised the minimum for membership extras, it hasn't taken long to find a person on these boards who say "I'm going to buy X points for the blue card." No matter what DVC sets it at, there will always be people with FOMO who will shell out the extra dough.

By raising it to 100, they eliminated the "workaround" of getting a resale first and then adding on, since 100 is no different than the advertised minimum. 75 to 100 didn't dissuade ppl, but maybe 100 to 125 will.

For the new buyer, especially those who may be financing the purchase, that extra 25 points will add very little to the monthly payment...and no, we don’t need to debate whether financing is or is not a good ide!

So, I wonder if Disney figures this or maybe they will lower their rate of interest too..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter