May 2, 2014 - A WONDERous trip through the Locks WBPC

Jeff - still working on getting the minimum posts under my new username to be able to PM, so I sent you an email instead with all my info. Thanks for doing this!

Patricia

AuntP -

Just do countdown posts here; post one word or number in each one until you reach 10 -- and just do them in a row, no need to wait.

- auntlynne

I am thinking about keeping both dolphin swims (or whatever they are called) in Cozumel and PV for the boys. This is mostly because I don't have any info on whether or not one is better than the other, and would hate to drop the "good" one. Is it just plain stupid to do both??? Like so redundant it's a waste?

How old are your boys? I no nothing about PV dolphin encounter, but I have done Dolphin Discovery three times now. I love Chankanaab and the facility is great. The animals are well cared for. One drawback is that the interactions take place in ocean pens. You stand on metal platforms that are quite slippery with algae and the waves can be quite strong.

The one in Puerto Vallarta looks very similar to the one in Cabo, which I loved and I still think I had the best dolphin interaction there. It is an artificial facility so there is no issue with battling the elements.

If the kids are below 10, I would definitely say Puerto Vallarta. With older kids, I think either would be great. I am a bit biased, but I don't think doing two interactions is overdoing it. This is something very special and it would be nice to see two different kinds of interactions.

Corinna

We've only done 1 dolphin interactions and that was in Blue Lagoon, but I do not think any of our family would feel that doing it twice, even on the same cruise would be overdoing it!

I agree that Chankanaab that is a fine facility!

Jeff - still working on getting the minimum posts under my new username to be able to PM, so I sent you an email instead with all my info. Thanks for doing this!

Patricia

Got it Patricia! PirateBob (Bob) and his wife Bana have joined us too so we are now a party of 6. ::yes::

At the risk of sounding negative, and I don't mean to do so, we had a very memorable (not in a good way) experience at Chankanaab when we visited.

We loved the grounds and the property, and really enjoyed the hammocks, beach and pools. When we were there the vets trapped a baby dolphin in a net and were hand feeding it and giving her shots as she refused to eat any 'real' food, even though she was a year+ old. It was a very stressful situation and you heard the dolphins making high pitched noises. They tried to put up a black tarp to block the view, but it wasn't particularly effective.

I was taking some family photos, and someone from the park must have thought I was part of PETA and taping this, and they came over and yelled at me to stop taking pictures. Geez.

I have been intrigued about interacting with the dolphins, but I will stick with my amazing memories during a Galapagos trip where I snorkeled with sea lions, penguins and turtles in the open water.

If you do the dolphin interactions, I hope you have a great time and don't see anything negative like I did!

Any experts in San Diego travel?

Was trying to figure out what time flight we should take back on the day we leave. Is 11:30a too early to make a flight? How far away is the airport from the cruise terminal? are we better off taking a 1:30p flight?

We would rather get home earlier, but we also don't want to be too stressed and running through the airport to make our flight (dating myself, but anyone else remember the Hertz commercial with OJ running through the airport?)

Thanks for the advice on flight times!

Any experts in San Diego travel? Was trying to figure out what time flight we should take back on the day we leave. Is 11:30a too early to make a flight? How far away is the airport from the cruise terminal? are we better off taking a 1:30p flight? We would rather get home earlier, but we also don't want to be too stressed and running through the airport to make our flight (dating myself, but anyone else remember the Hertz commercial with OJ running through the airport?) Thanks for the advice on flight times!

My travel agent said the recommendation was not before noon. The port and airport sound close together.

Sorry no first hand experience to share!

Any experts in San Diego travel?

Was trying to figure out what time flight we should take back on the day we leave. Is 11:30a too early to make a flight? How far away is the airport from the cruise terminal? are we better off taking a 1:30p flight?

We would rather get home earlier, but we also don't want to be too stressed and running through the airport to make our flight (dating myself, but anyone else remember the Hertz commercial with OJ running through the airport?)

Thanks for the advice on flight times!

I'm not an expert but the trip is 2 miles and takes 5 to 10 minutes. Official guest ashore time is 8:30 am. Of course there will be quite a few other folks also getting off the ship and grabbing cabs. I think it's certainly doable but there will be some stress. Alternative would be to take your time, grab some lunch at the airport. Don't know if the 2 hour later departure time results in a two hour later arrival time or worse. Depends on the connections right? If it resulted in me arriving home two hours later I'd take the later flight. If it meant me arriving 4, 5 hours later I'd go for the earlier flight and live with a little extra stress.

This is the info for my reservation (on DCL website):

"Please allow ample time for all your travel connections. We recommend the following flight-time guidelines:

• Latest arrival time to Miami International Airport on Embarkation Day: 2:30 p.m.
  • Earliest departure time from San Diego International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:30 a.m."

That 11:30 is the time they list for departures from MCO when arriving at Port Canaveral, too.

FE # 2 has closed, and the list has been sent to both group 1 and group 2. It has 21 rooms because 19&20 signed up within seconds of each other! As before, if you want in on group 3, please fill the form out again. I will lock the group again at 20 staterooms, and start the next group when #3 closes. Edit: group 3 already has 6 rooms.

Hi there! Glad to hear there's a lot of people for the FE!! I was wondering which group my family is in?
Thanks,
Lynette

How old are your boys? I no nothing about PV dolphin encounter, but I have done Dolphin Discovery three times now. I love Chankanaab and the facility is great. The animals are well cared for. One drawback is that the interactions take place in ocean pens. You stand on metal platforms that are quite slippery with algae and the waves can be quite strong.

The one in Puerto Vallarta looks very similar to the one in Cabo, which I loved and I still think I had the best dolphin interaction there. It is an artificial facility so there is no issue with battling the elements.

If the kids are below 10, I would definitely say Puerto Vallarta. With older kids, I think either would be great. I am a bit biased, but I don't think doing two interactions is overdoing it. This is something very special and it would be nice to see two different kinds of interactions.

Corinna

The boys will be 8 years old then. Thanks for your ideas and info! I am going to stick with both for now (can always cancel later). We can't do the one in Cabo, since we got to book the Camel Excursion!

Hi Jeff

It is possible there may be more than one list floating around on the board site. Looking forward to the CRUISE , and all the relaxation ( yeah right) that comes with it.:lmao: Have a great day.:firefight

Is there a reason why the Fish Extender Groups aren't posted somewhere? :confused3

Some of us (me included) don't want our family names listed on a public site that anyone can access. The FE lists have been emailed out to the people who filled out the form, so everyone whose group of 20 cabins has filled up should have an email in their inbox with any details they need. If they don't have an email in their inbox, it would mean their group of 20 hasn't closed yet.

If there is a need for the lists to be publicly posted, we will need a way to conceal the names, ages, room numbers, and other details for those of us who don't want it available to the world.

Some of us (me included) don't want our family names listed on a public site that anyone can access. The FE lists have been emailed out to the people who filled out the form, so everyone whose group of 20 cabins has filled up should have an email in their inbox with any details they need. If they don't have an email in their inbox, it would mean their group of 20 hasn't closed yet. If there is a need for the lists to be publicly posted, we will need a way to conceal the names, ages, room numbers, and other details for those of us who don't want it available to the world.

There isn't a need obviously. I was just curious. I will say there are ways to limit access on google docs that would still allow anyone that has signed up to see the list(s). :)

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter