May 2, 2014 - A WONDERous trip through the Locks WBPC

SuperMommyJen said:
Hello friendly PC cruisers,
I and my family (DH, +3Kids), Mother, Father, Sister and Sister and family are seriously looking at this cruise after we missed out on the inside guarantee rooms for this year. We will need three rooms and we don't care how small they are, we just want to do the PC as a group. We may do four rooms depending on how we put the kids with my parents but I am wondering should we be looking to book now, or wait a few months? I really get scared looking at the prices but I don't want to over pay either.
Also, will there be a lot of other kids on the ship? Our youngest traveller will be 1 and the oldest 8. The cruise is a gift from my mother on her retirement so I think we will be all chipping in for tips as they will certainly add up over 15 days. Any helpful advice specific to this cruise is greatly appreciated!

SuperMommyJen
Alaska May 2000 Princess, Caribbean June 2003 RC, Caribbean Dec. 2004 HA
WDW 1981, 2001, 2012 (2xs)

When it comes to kids I can just tell you what I have noticed. I have taken all 3 WBPC on DCL to date. Also did the very first Hawaiian cruise. On all four of those cruises there were never more than 300 under 18 on board.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hi all. I just noticed this cruise and it is my dream to take DCL thru the PC.

I notice that the price for veranda is pretty good. We want to wait until we are on Fantasy this June to book this cruise (for the OBC and discount). Does anyone think the prices should be going up by then? Thanks!

I notice that the price for veranda is pretty good. We want to wait until we are on Fantasy this June to book this cruise (for the OBC and discount). Does anyone think the prices should be going up by then? Thanks!

You can book now and then rebook it on-board. You would probably still need the 20% but that would just go toward the PIF anyway... But you would still get any other on-board plusses and if the rate went down you would get that too.. I see it as a win-win... Plus you could still do another holding cruise otherwise the one future on-board cruise holding would be quite possibly be used by the PC cruise...

I would ask you TA for sure (kinda like "ask you doctor before" advise).

Muushka said:

I don't think it will. And if it does I don't think it will be much. Also I agree with the above poster. If you can do the 20% down now do it then reshop on board. I have done this a few times.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

I was just lurking on the WBPC cruise meet thread for 2013 and WOW! They have a ton of stuff planned! This is only my third DCL cruise but since I've got the first post on here, I can edit it at any time to start any groups/meets/ideas or anything else we want to keep track of. We've done FE twice and I wouldn't mind again if we kept the groups small (I always seem to be scrambling to get them done, maybe I should start now :laughing: ). Secret Mickey looks fun, and I thought Game Nights sounded like a great idea on a long cruise with a lot of sea days.

No pressure, we have lots of time! Just chime in if you think of anything that sounds fun or anything you want to be in charge of organizing.

You can book now and then rebook it on-board. You would probably still need the 20% but that would just go toward the PIF anyway... But you would still get any other on-board plusses and if the rate went down you would get that too.. I see it as a win-win... Plus you could still do another holding cruise otherwise the one future on-board cruise holding would be quite possibly be used by the PC cruise...

I would ask you TA for sure (kinda like "ask you doctor before" advise).

Thank you :goodvibes Question. What is PIF?
So book now and re-book for at the most what we booked at and possibly less. Win win indeed!

I don't think it will. And if it does I don't think it will be much. Also I agree with the above poster. If you can do the 20% down now do it then reshop on board. I have done this a few times.

Interesting that it probably won't go down in price. My husband wants to do Celebrity, which is usually much less $$ than DCL. But PC on Celebrity is more expensive than DCL! Strange.

So, for you PC on DCL cruisers, probably not too many kiddos on board at this time of year?

Thank you!

Muushka said:
Thank you :goodvibes Question. What is PIF?
So book now and re-book for at the most what we booked at and possibly less. Win win indeed!

Interesting that it probably won't go down in price. My husband wants to do Celebrity, which is usually much less $$ than DCL. But PC on Celebrity is more expensive than DCL! Strange.

So, for you PC on DCL cruisers, probably not too many kiddos on board at this time of year?

Thank you!

No. On all 4 two week cruises I have taken with DCL in May there has been less than 300 people under 18 on the ship.

Hi all:dance3:
I think it is great that you want to keep track of the Fiesta-Siesta Transition group of DISer's. I did the meet and greets for the last 2 cruises and can say it is very demanding but, I would be willing to assist someone else. Hint hint. It is still very early to find the "alpha person" of the group, but I am sure they will surface soon enough.pirate: Everything you have mentioned with games, meet, etc... sounds like a hoot.:rotfl::stir:Looking forward to more post.
James and D.Anne

Hello friendly PC cruisers,
I and my family (DH, +3Kids), Mother, Father, Sister and Sister and family are seriously looking at this cruise after we missed out on the inside guarantee rooms for this year. We will need three rooms and we don't care how small they are, we just want to do the PC as a group. We may do four rooms depending on how we put the kids with my parents but I am wondering should we be looking to book now, or wait a few months? I really get scared looking at the prices but I don't want to over pay either.
Also, will there be a lot of other kids on the ship? Our youngest traveller will be 1 and the oldest 8. The cruise is a gift from my mother on her retirement so I think we will be all chipping in for tips as they will certainly add up over 15 days. Any helpful advice specific to this cruise is greatly appreciated!

SuperMommyJen
Alaska May 2000 Princess, Caribbean June 2003 RC, Caribbean Dec. 2004 HA
WDW 1981, 2001, 2012 (2xs)

Hi Jen,
Our girls are eight now, but will be 9 & 10 for this cruise. Because we are 1/2 time homeschoolers, the long DCL voyages are great! I love the low number of kiddos on these cruises, vs. the cruises overrun with 800+. Be sure to sign up for Fish Extender, if only for the kids!
Tips are a necessary aspect of cruising, and we always bring additonal $ for the 'little extras' which appear during the cruise. We give cash to room service, Palo, porters, bartenders, guides, etc... but tip with our KTTW (stateroom key/charge) for everything else.
If it's one thing we have learned on DCL, it's BOOK EARLY. We have missed three great cruises because we waited too long & prices went far out of our reach. I am bringing my parents on this one as well, looking forward to meeting your group :)

Hi All:grouphug: Just wanted to say HI:wave2:to all the new posters on the site here. I know the site has a name but, I am going with Fiesta-Siesta Transition:cool1:Looking for tequila and libations of all types, sorry kids for the reference to the liquid of the Aztecs and Myans.:rotfl2:
badges,Badges, we don't need no stinking badges!!!Yep I am kinda of crazy. lol Well I used to be anyway in my younger years when there was no fear of retribution and didn't care what happened to the body.:confused3 Have a great day to all of you.

James and D.Anne

In addition to the FE & SM, I'd like to coordinate a couple DISmeets for kids & a PJ Breakfast.

This year's WBPC planned many fun activities for DISers! Maybe someone in this group will consider planning a few for the 2014 WBPC...as it gets closer than fourteen months?

My parents have decided to join us on this one, it will be their first Disney Cruise :cool1:

417 days 'til we sail

Fiesta-Siesta Transition...I like it!:thumbsup2

Well, we booked it yesterday! Hoping the price doesn't go up before 6/15/2013 when we board the Fantasy.

We cruise a lot. Caribbean. But this.....this cruise makes my heart go pitter patter.:goodvibes

Hi, it's me again :wave:

The last time we cruised on the Wonder was in 2005 (actually the only time we cruised on the Wonder).

The last time we cruised on DCL was in 2008 (Magic). So I have some questions, if you can help me.

Does DCL do any type of trivia? We love it and hope so.

On DCL, do they serve the whole wheat buns like at WDW (that is a Mr Muush question, he hates those buns)!

On such a long cruise, how many nights do the let you dine at Palo? That is hands down our favorite at sea restaurant.

On DCL Panama Canal cruises do they have any sort of talks about the Panama Canal? Enrichment sort of talks?

For those who have done these long cruises, what do they do to keep up occupied? Let us into the kids club??:banana:

Thanks!

Hi, it's me again :wave:

The last time we cruised on the Wonder was in 2005 (actually the only time we cruised on the Wonder).

The last time we cruised on DCL was in 2008 (Magic). So I have some questions, if you can help me.

Does DCL do any type of trivia? We love it and hope so.
Yes.. usually several.. Sports, TV Theme, Movie Quote, Disney Movie, Disney Park, etc..

On DCL, do they serve the whole wheat buns like at WDW (that is a Mr Muush question, he hates those buns)!
I think I have sampled some at dinner. So, yeah.. if not just ask your server if they could make some.

On such a long cruise, how many nights do the let you dine at Palo? That is hands down our favorite at sea restaurant.
One one pre-booked then once on-board as many as they are opening for..

On DCL Panama Canal cruises do they have any sort of talks about the Panama Canal? Enrichment sort of talks?
Our last PC was the EB in 2005 and yes there were quite a few talks. Curious how the new bigger canal is coming along.. I want to do a PC on the Fantasy... :)

For those who have done these long cruises, what do they do to keep up occupied? Let us into the kids club??:banana:

Thanks!
I have never been bored on the 14nt cruises (been on 4 so far, not counting this one) and look forward to each and every one and wish they lasted longer... Which this one will as we are doing a MAMAW (Miami-Alaska Marathon Aboard Wonder) cruise - 31nights long... :cloud9:

Thank you for all of you answers. I am so excited about this cruise!

The three kids and I just disembarked in Galveston after 8 days on the Magic and unanimously decided we were wishing it lasted longer... so I took advantage of the on-board-booking rate of 20% off for this one. My three kids will be 10, 12 and 14 when we sail -- they had such fun last week despite the cold front we chased the entire trip (never took off our jackets!) and the bitter disappointment of not being able to dock at CC due to high winds & killer current. It's hard to believe you've had so few kids on this PC cruise; last week was Kids Sail Free and easily 1/2 of the cruisers were under the age of 13. This will be our 2nd cruise, but if you're going to dive in, we figure we may as well do it big time! Yes to the FE group for us, brixton. Thanks!

The three kids and I just disembarked in Galveston after 8 days on the Magic and unanimously decided we were wishing it lasted longer... so I took advantage of the on-board-booking rate of 20% off for this one. My three kids will be 10, 12 and 14 when we sail -- they had such fun last week despite the cold front we chased the entire trip (never took off our jackets!) and the bitter disappointment of not being able to dock at CC due to high winds & killer current. It's hard to believe you've had so few kids on this PC cruise; last week was Kids Sail Free and easily 1/2 of the cruisers were under the age of 13. This will be our 2nd cruise, but if you're going to dive in, we figure we may as well do it big time! Yes to the FE group for us, brixton. Thanks!

I was reading last night about your cruise, lots of unhappy people.

So the 20% off, isn't it usually 10% off for future cruise? Was it just this cruise that is 20% off?

I find the price of this cruise so puzzling. It is so much lower than other cruise lines. Not complaining!!!

We did the 8-night Magic out of Galveston in January. We also sailed the Magic last May. Definitely a whole different ballgame when it's Kids Sail Free. We definitely will avoid them from here on out. The main dining rooms were so incredibly LOUD and chaotic. My boys said last May there were like maybe 40 kids total registered in Vibe vs. over 80 during the KSF. I think there were even more littler ones (considering even with KSF it's harder to pull high-school age kids out of school). We talked to a few other cruisers who were first timers who said their younger children hated the clubs because they were so insanely chaotic. They were pretty put off from cruising with Mickey. We explained how different the KSF sailing was from the other 3 Disney cruises we've done and tried to shed a little light. Hopefully these families will be brave enough to give it one more shot.

Last May my hubby said he was pretty well ready to get off the ship after 5 days. Even with the crazy chaos of the KSF, after 8 days he says he could've stayed for another week. Good thing! This long cruise should be awesome!!!

Hi All:cool1: Really loving the post about the FST. :disrocks: This will be our 5th on DCL and our 3rd on the wonder. Last trip was to Alaska and it was great as it on drizzled one day oout of 7 and that was. for only about 2 hours. Saw whales, seals and bears (oh my). My only regret is that I didn't have a DSLR camera to get the up close photos of trhe horned sheep and eagles and etc...:ewok: I just purchased a Rebel ts3 and should have it delivered this weekend to play with when we go to Branson, Mo in May. I will also get a 75-300 lens soon for the cam also. Keep up the good work everyone.:firefight

Speaking of cruise lengths....

First cruise, Magic, 35 foot seas, 7 days, too long!

Second cruise, Wonder Christmas, 4 days, not too long

Third cruise, and several after are 7 day, not too long

Then a 4 + 5 back to back, 9 days, not too long

Then a 10 day, not too long

Then an 11 day, not too long

Then a 12 day, not too long

This past Christmas a glorious 14 day, perfect!

Can't wait for the PC!

(In the meantime, we are going on the Fantasy in June, 7 day and Celebrity Reflection, 7 day in Dec.
Can you tell we like to cruise???)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter