Matthew & Jaclyn's PJ GF Beach/LSS/UK Lower:Update - Ending my PJ due to problems

I figured that would probably be the easiest for you. When I was at Temple I didn't know about that one and dragged my friend to the one in Manoa. She wasn't buying, just looking at styles. She had her dress custom made by a lady in Lancaster near her mom's house.

Sort of... I'm a Colonial first and formost. I went to GWU for undergrad. Temple for law school. DBF is a true Owl.

DBF? What's that one stand for?

Well that's awesome. I'm going back there for my masters. I start my job there on Monday in their marketing department! So right now I like Temple, they hired me!

DBF? What's that one stand for?

Well that's awesome. I'm going back there for my masters. I start my job there on Monday in their marketing department! So right now I like Temple, they hired me!

DBF = Dear boyfriend

Congrats on the job! I work in higher-ed MarCom, too! How did the dress shopping go?

Ok, so I went dress shopping for the very first time today. I kinda can't my finger on how it felt. I'll just describe as best as I can.

I went to David's Bridal because it was easy to get there. I figured I would shop there at some point in my dress shopping so I went in there first, but I didn't go in thinking it was going to be the last shop either. Maybe I set myself up. I really went to David's to see what I like on myself. I'm VERY picky. And a certain part of a shirt, pant, whatever can instantly turn me off.

So I went into my scheduled appt I made a couple days ago over the phone. I was greeted by a desk with two women and sat down to fill out some paperwork. I didn't get a good feeling by this. I just didn't see if I wasnt purchasing yet why would they need me to fill out my life story. They promised it was only used by David's Bridal. So after about 20 minutes they finally decide who's going to my shopping consultant. I was floored by this. I made an appt so wouldn't they have someone already marked for me? Plus I gave this info over the phone. Anyways...

Anyway I forget what her name was. She had a totally different version from what I wanted. She takes me to the stack of dresses and ask me what I want - she doesn't really get it so I just let her pick dresses. A mix of mermaid and princess.

She puts me in the dressing room. And she walks in and out of it giving me a bustier thingie that was skin tight and very uncomfortable. Then a slip, then the dresses. As she does this the curtains are flapping and everyone can basically see. I'm not shy about my body really (I'm not all for being naked in front of random people either) But other people seeing me in my Bra and underwear didn't bother me too much, it's the same as a bathing suit to me. But still she could have been a little more discreet.

After I have on the bra top, and slip, she puts me in the first dress.

I wanted to see just the dress. She then insists on putting a veil on me and a tiara and then a blusher. Why put a blusher on for my first look I have no idea. I feel like I'm now covered in tulle. She then insists I need shoes. I'm impatient now and just want to look at the dress. But I know its her job so I let her do it. I'm really in no rush. Well she brings back the most uncomfortable shoes ever! I kept them on but I was just plain uncomfy the whole time. I took them off everytime I took off a dress.

So I get to see myself in dress and I say take the veil off. I'm actually scared of it. It was many, many layers of tulle. I just didn't feel me.

So wasn't in love with the top part of the dress, I liked the bottom.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2631&prodgroup=10

here's the next one, similar, and I like the bottom and not the top.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2998&prodgroup=10

Here's the next one, I flat out didn't like it. The top was prettier, I didn't like this bottom too much. It was too pick up for me. I didn't like the fabirc either on the bottom

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=3347&prodgroup=10

So we get to the mermaid style.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=3360&prodgroup=10

I liked the cut of this one, but not the roses all over. I don't see roses as part of my wedding floral.

Now here's the one I actually liked, but I just had doubts. I didn't think I wanted a dress with color, but the sash looked really sharp I think. I also didn't want a long train, the other sales person said that David's Bridal will not let you drastically change a dress. Why would they care after its sold?
I showed my parents the pics later and my mom wasn't crazy and my dad goes "it doesn't do anything for your figure" And I'm like ok, thats a nice way to say you look heavy. So I think that's vetoed too. Now I know that It's MY dress and doesn't matter what they think. But I was already iffy so it just vetoed it anyway.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=3344&prodgroup=10

What I liked about it, the folds in the fabric and the U cut at the top.

Here's a pic of me, please excuse my hair, I really need a root touch-up. I'm going tomorrow!

P2060003.jpg

P2060002.jpg

She gives me this one with no beading and with folds like I said I wanted to try on all along.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=1223&prodgroup=10

Didn't like it. It was way to plain and did nothing for me.

He's the other one I kinda liked. It's an Oleg Cassini which I knew was part of their more expensive line. I liked it, I really did. She put me in a size 4 though and it was skin tight. I take a 6 usually. I have no idea why but some of the dress she had me try on she was pushing it to get me into smaller sizes. :confused3

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2801&prodgroup=10

P2060004.jpg

I liked the detailing on this much, much better. It wasnt so over the top. But It just wasn't it.
P2060005.jpg

I realized these things about my future wedding dress that I will take with me from now on

1. I don't like strapless dresses. I don't like how they look. I rarely wear tube tops so I guess that's why.

2. I don't like alot of beading or lace

3. I hate multi-tiered veils.

4. I do like folds, but not exactly full pick up skirts.

5. I still don't like trains.

6. Mermaid styles are still not out of the picture yet!

7. I really need to cut out more pics so I'm more clear on what I like.
So to be nice I made another appt for Saturday at 10:00am. I told them several times that I will probably cancel because I have to check with my mom first. So I'll just cancel for now. I really want to keep shopping and my mom gave me the ok to schedule dress appts and we'll go shopping together, yay!!! My mom such a procrastinator that I'm so happy she's ready to go!

Sorry for the majorly long post, but here's my last thought on dresses. I have that sinking feeling I'm going to have to get my dress custom made. Not one dress has really JUMPED out at me. I like the other ones I posted but I'm just not in LOVE :love: with every single aspect of one dress. I'm nervous becuse it can get pricey. I found a tailor who said she can duplicate any dress you bring a pic of.

All in All, David's wasn't so bad. I just didn't fall in love with anything.

So here's the checklist for tomorrow. I'm down to only two days of my week off:guilty:

1. Call DFTW
2. Call Randy
3. Get hair done (not wedding but still have to do it)
4. Apply for passport and get pic done
5. Call some Bridal shopes and get some Appts made!!!

Curiouser - you must have typed that when I was typing mine!:goodvibes I can't get the pictures to rotate right though.

DBF - gotcha!

Thank you, I'm getting butterfiles for Monday already

Ok so please excuse my stupidty, What's Mar-com?

Curiouser - you must have typed that when I was typing mine!:goodvibes I can't get the pictures to rotate right though.

DBF - gotcha!

Thank you, I'm getting butterfiles for Monday already

Ok so please excuse my stupidty, What's Mar-com?

It's short for Marketing and Communications. You'll pick up the lingo soon :thumbsup2

I really like the red sash on the one dress; it's really sharp and a nice shape on you. You are going to look incredible when you find The One!

It's short for Marketing and Communications. You'll pick up the lingo soon :thumbsup2

In my 3 year career so far, I never saw that abbreviation, but Most of that time I was at a tv station.

My colors are actually a deep aqua or teal and the manager said she wasn't sure if they carried it in that color.

It does look sharp though I think, Oh well:confused3

OK so I'm officially in love with your PJ not only an Under the Sea Theme but with The Little Mermaid too - woo-hoo!!!

I love how much stuff you have - you have great stuff, all so themed - I love it and I think I saw those "aisle" starfish on another website recently and thought they were great! I think you have already checked out my pics but Charming Events gallery http://www.weddingdecorator.net/gallery.htm

has a great shot of my bouque with the shells in but you could have starfish in there instead that could look cool - its in the Summer section first picture.

I also had a tiara made with shells in LOL not sure if that was a little TOO themed LOL but photobucket is down right now so I can't search for the picture but let me know if you want to see it.

What did you use charming events for? How were their prices?

I love the starfish! I did "Under the Sea" and it was very elegant, and fun to plan!

Hey kristen,

I knew there was another PJ with the Under the sea theme and I couldnt for the life of me remember the name!

I didn't get to see it yet, but I can't wait to read your TR!

What did you use charming events for? How were their prices?

OK at the time in 2004 Charming Events prices were good - I can try and dig out my quote from then but obviously there have been prices increases since then.

Emily was great to work with and she totally got the Under the Sea Theme feel, she's very artistic and her talents do not just lie with floral. She did all our bouquets and button holes and 3 corsages. She then did our petal aisle and made the rose petal cones, I think my wedding was the first she had made those for and she's since used that style on some other weddings - they were beautiful. She did all our centerpieces and our sweetheart table and gift and place card table and cake table. She sourced all the seashells and conch shells.

She was really good and somewhere on this board I had a total cost so I'll try and dig it out for you :)

A year later some friends of mine got in contact with her and she made a lovely anniversary present for us of one of our original Conch shells filled with wax and other shells from our wedding to make a candle - it was beautiful.

I had sent her my swatches of both my dress and BM dresses and she matched the roses perfectly.

LOL as you can tell I can't rate her highly enough but I know that it's harder now for brides to go outside of Disney for floral because of the minimums - So if I had to use Disney for anything in order to use up my minimums I would totally use them for floral because I totally believe they can recreate a lot of the ideas that Brides take them. That said at the time of my wedding Charming Events did come in cheaper than Disney, but I think part of that was because it's Emily's company and therefore she seemed more negotiable.

i really liked the mermaid dress. i actually saw that dress online on david's sight and thought i should get it, why? i have no idea...anyway, here's my opinion...

IGNORE THE DAVID'S SALESPEOPLE.

they try to add on EVERYTHING. i wonder if they get paid on commission...they did the same thing with popping veils on my head as well...ANNOYING.

anyway, i really liked the mermaid dress, but wasn't a fan of the sash. imho, i think they make waists look bunchy, unless they are actually built into the dress. i removed the sash from my dress and liked it soooooo much better. your mermaid dress was amazing, oh, and they say you can't change a dress, but you also don't have to to go their alterations department. go somewhere else, it'll probably be cheaper, then you can do whatever you want. they want to protect their brand image, so their alteration department won't change anything.

i really liked the mermaid dress.

anyway, i really liked the mermaid dress, but wasn't a fan of the sash. imho, i think they make waists look bunchy, unless they are actually built into the dress. i removed the sash from my dress and liked it soooooo much better. your mermaid dress was amazing, oh, and they say you can't change a dress, but you also don't have to to go their alterations department. go somewhere else, it'll probably be cheaper, then you can do whatever you want. they want to protect their brand image, so their alteration department won't change anything.

I agree, I love the mermaid dress on you!! And it goes really well with your theme. I think it would be cheaper to alter that dress to be exactly what you want, rather than having someone make something from scratch.

I showed my parents the pics later and my mom wasn't crazy and my dad goes "it doesn't do anything for your figure" And I'm like ok, thats a nice way to say you look heavy. So I think that's vetoed too. Now I know that It's MY dress and doesn't matter what they think. But I was already iffy so it just vetoed it anyway.

EEEK I'm sorry, but you look amazing in the mermaid dress. It is the most flattering for your figure. The other dresses are pretty too, but I think they hide your figure. You are completely not heavy, but you actually look slimmest in the mermaid dress. Maybe it's just that your parents want to see you in a more traditional gown.

I really like the last one with the pick up skirt. Very pretty!

I feel like I'm about to say something horrible! I'm not sure that that mermaid dress is right for you. Maybe one with a different "texture" to it - smoother with less of the rouching (sp?) would be a better style for you. I did see one that has a similar skirt to the very first link at the aforementioned Collegeville shop.

Have you you seen Wendy's (Mistressofallevil) dress? You might like that style based on what you described.

I really like the one with the red sash. It is so flattering and glamorous on you. The others all hide your gorgeous shape. I know some people are just prejudiced in favor of the big poofy traditional gowns (me included), but when I see someone who looks so great in one of those other styles, I just think they HAVE to do it -- not everyone can, so if you can, you should!

And, don't give up on finding your perfect dress yet. It looks like you have some time before you decide and there are likely at least 2 seasons' worth of new designs that will be coming out before you have to decide. Also, I found that some of the designs on the Davids' site weren't in the store and they didn't offer to order any in for me to try. You may want to look at their on-line catalog again, make a list of more that you are interested in trying, and then call around to other Davids stores to see if they have it in stock in your size for you to go check out. Good luck!

I really like the one with the red sash. It is so flattering and glamorous on you. The others all hide your gorgeous shape. I know some people are just prejudiced in favor of the big poofy traditional gowns (me included), but when I see someone who looks so great in one of those other styles, I just think they HAVE to do it -- not everyone can, so if you can, you should!

Thank you! I am slightly prejudiced for the princess dress, but a mermaid dress hasn't been cut out of the picutre yet! ;)

And, don't give up on finding your perfect dress yet. It looks like you have some time before you decide and there are likely at least 2 seasons' worth of new designs that will be coming out before you have to decide. Also, I found that some of the designs on the Davids' site weren't in the store and they didn't offer to order any in for me to try. You may want to look at their on-line catalog again, make a list of more that you are interested in trying, and then call around to other Davids stores to see if they have it in stock in your size for you to go check out. Good luck!

Thanks, I actually scheduled two other bridal appts. I figured I'll go back to David's again if I can't find something at the other too.

LOVE the mermaid dress! (gee I wonder why? ;))

LOL! Thank you!

I feel like I'm about to say something horrible! I'm not sure that that mermaid dress is right for you. Maybe one with a different "texture" to it - smoother with less of the rouching (sp?) would be a better style for you. I did see one that has a similar skirt to the very first link at the aforementioned Collegeville shop.

Have you you seen Wendy's (Mistressofallevil) dress? You might like that style based on what you described.

That's not horrible at all to say! To be honest, I just didn't feel like that one was 'it' you know? And since my parents didn't like (nor DF since I showed him once I ruled it out) I just crossed it out. But I'm still keeping an eye out for other mermaid styles...

I really like the last one with the pick up skirt. Very pretty!

Thank you! If it wasn't Sleeveless, I think I would have liked it alot more.

i really liked the mermaid dress. i actually saw that dress online on david's sight and thought i should get it, why? i have no idea...anyway, here's my opinion...

IGNORE THE DAVID'S SALESPEOPLE.

they try to add on EVERYTHING. i wonder if they get paid on commission...they did the same thing with popping veils on my head as well...ANNOYING.

Yea, David's Salespeople can be ignoring like that. I mean they just made me want to not look anymore because they kept putting on veils that i didn't feel comfortable in. And I actually like all white dresses instead of the color, so I was surprised how I kinda liked the sash, But I'll probably go with a solid white color in the end.

The one David's salesperson actually said I could take it anywhere and do whatever I wanted to the dress.

I agree, I love the mermaid dress on you!! And it goes really well with your theme. I think it would be cheaper to alter that dress to be exactly what you want, rather than having someone make something from scratch.

Yea, I definitely Agree!!! That's why i'm shopping so early to avoid that, pray that picky me finds a dress I really like!

EEEK I'm sorry, but you look amazing in the mermaid dress. It is the most flattering for your figure. The other dresses are pretty too, but I think they hide your figure. You are completely not heavy, but you actually look slimmest in the mermaid dress. Maybe it's just that your parents want to see you in a more traditional gown.

I love you! Thanks! I think my parents do want to see me in a more traditional gown, but I wasn't really attached to the mermaid either so it gave me a reason to x it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter