Masks at WDW in 2021

My prediction is maybe by the fall, if the vaccine is readily available for everyone. Like a previous poster said, when employees and guests are safe, so in other words well protected.

Thank you for your opinion. I still feel positive and wonder when?
Nobody knows obviously but I think late Fall 2021... although I would love it if it was possible this summer as nobody wants to wear them in 100 degree weather :crazy2:
I wonder if they will gradually get rid of masks... like at first just outdoors etc. Maybe it will happen sooner then. We can dream...

I wonder if they will gradually get rid of masks... like at first just outdoors etc. Maybe it will happen sooner then. We can dream...

This is my thought. The amusement park in my city only required masks when you were in the gift shops and enclosed rides like bumper cars. You could leave them off while walking outside and in line - spaced out 6ft. I'm hoping Disney will be the same soon!

So if you are traveling with a two year old, they are required to wear a mask at all times? Is it strictly enforced?

So if you are traveling with a two year old, they are required to wear a mask at all times? Is it strictly enforced?

Yes. I took my 2 year old in December. There was another little girl who must have just turned 2 in front of us at the carousel. She was having a tantrum and refused to put the mask on. The CMs wouldn’t let her ride.

My 2 year old did okay. We lasted about 2 hours at the park before she was totally over it.

Yes. I took my 2 year old in December. There was another little girl who must have just turned 2 in front of us at the carousel. She was having a tantrum and refused to put the mask on. The CMs wouldn’t let her ride.

My 2 year old did okay. We lasted about 2 hours at the park before she was totally over it.
Thank you for the info. My nephew will be 2 and his mom knows a mask will not be an option for him. She was thinking maybe it’s not strictly enforced, but apparently it is. I will let her know.

We (hopefully) won't have much virus circulating in the coming months; the con to that is it will take a long time to fill the trials for young kids and get at a minimum safety data from those trials. There's zero chance (again, barring major outbreaks) we have that kind of data on < 12 this year, it could in theory take well into 2022. That's a huge part of Disney's demographic, and Disney is being very conservative with safety measures. Masks cost them nothing, capacity does. I fully expect capacity to increase this year and masks to stay mandatory until younger kids start getting vaccinated.

We have plenty of data to say that few children die from this; people seem to consistently conflate that with not having the potential for serious and/or long Covid in children, and that is not correct. Hard to see masks not remaining mandatory in most schools and places where there are tons of children until they at least have a chance at vaccination.

I don’t know the ages they plan to prepare this vaccine for, but since my husband and I are hesitant about getting it for ourselves as adults, there is no way on earth I’m giving it to my young 2 year old without years of studying the vaccine.

In addition, both my husband and myself have already had covid and the only thing I noticed with our 2-year-old was a slight stuffy nose for one day. We never had her tested but she was absolutely exposed with both her parents having covid. Also, my friend also had covid and she has two children, ages 4 and 2. When she spoke to her doctor, he was not at all concerned about the children and even said, the younger the better.
So IMO, vaccinating children should not be a reason to stay living this half-life.

^ eventually there will be vaccines approved for very young kids, like most traditional vaccines. As with any disease, if you vaccinate only a certain age group you're leaving a not insignificant % of the population vulnerable ongoing.

Everyone wants to see studies done on the vaccine in children first, this is why they are creating the trials. I completely understand wanting to see significant safety data before vaccinating a child.

I am glad to hear your family fared well, obviously you're aware this is not the case for a large number of people, my family/circle of friends included.

I don't really disagree re: 'stay living this half-life', I am only offering speculation on what Disney may do given their conservative nature and that their park business model puts large numbers of people in close proximity for sometimes extended periods of time.

I don’t know the ages they plan to prepare this vaccine for, but since my husband and I are hesitant about getting it for ourselves as adults, there is no way on earth I’m giving it to my young 2 year old without years of studying the vaccine.

In addition, both my husband and myself have already had covid and the only thing I noticed with our 2-year-old was a slight stuffy nose for one day. We never had her tested but she was absolutely exposed with both her parents having covid. Also, my friend also had covid and she has two children, ages 4 and 2. When she spoke to her doctor, he was not at all concerned about the children and even said, the younger the better.
So IMO, vaccinating children should not be a reason to stay living this half-life.
I’m about as Covid cautious as they come (haven’t hardly left my house since last March) and I completely agree with you. It doesn’t seem to make much sense to keep things shut down until all children are vaccinated given the fact that children typically do fine with the virus. I personally have less fear about my child catching it than getting the vaccine but that’s neither here nor there.

My cousin’s husband is an infections disease doctor and based on what they know so far kids are more at risk from regular influenza than covid and not even 50% of population under 18 gets an annual flu shot.
I can’t see Disney or anywhere else for that matter requiring masks beyond 2021 if the pandemic is declared over this Fall (as is speculated). So far my husband and I (39 and 42 this year)plan to get the covid vaccine when available, but we are very hesitant to vaccinate our kids. To be clear our kids have all routine vaccinations up to date, so we are pro vaccine but hesitant when it comes to one approved for emergency use. Haven’t made up our minds yet.

I’m guessing Disney will require masks until early 2022. I have friend at work who has a 2 yo that has to wear a mask at daycare. Since it’s what everyone does, she does it. Sure, there are some tantrums, and kids that age tend to remove clothing when that happens, but she just kind of knows a mask is standard clothes to be worn outside the house at this point. My friend speculates she’ll wonder why she doesn’t have to wear one in the future!

I’m guessing Disney will require masks until early 2022. I have friend at work who has a 2 yo that has to wear a mask at daycare. Since it’s what everyone does, she does it. Sure, there are some tantrums, and kids that age tend to remove clothing when that happens, but she just kind of knows a mask is standard clothes to be worn outside the house at this point. My friend speculates she’ll wonder why she doesn’t have to wear one in the future!
Thats so sad to me that a child assumes a mask is normal. I’m sorry but I don’t want that for my child, especially at a young age when they don’t understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter