Masks at WDW in 2021

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
As I’ve noted several times, I’ve been trying to plan a first trip for my two year old. We were originally booked for September 2021 as I felt that was a pretty safe bet as far as Covid being on its way out the door. However, I realized my two year old will not leave a mask on and panic-canceled the trip assuming masks would be around through the entire year. However I just read the below article and he doesn’t seem to think masks will be required into the fall. It’s hard to know what to think or believe anymore. Any thoughts on his assumptions?
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/when-will-disney-world-stop-requiring-face-masks/

As I’ve noted several times, I’ve been trying to plan a first trip for my two year old. We were originally booked for September 2021 as I felt that was a pretty safe bet as far as Covid being on its way out the door. However, I realized my two year old will not leave a mask on and panic-canceled the trip assuming masks would be around through the entire year. However I just read the below article and he doesn’t seem to think masks will be required into the fall. It’s hard to know what to think or believe anymore. Any thoughts on his assumptions?
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/when-will-disney-world-stop-requiring-face-masks/
I like Tom, he usually puts a realistic perspective on these topics. I think what he's saying Is possible, but I also think once we get past the initial 100 million vaccinated mark, things are going to really slow down on that front. Between the Waiters and the Nevers, it's going to be awhile before we get to 75% vaccinated. So really, the early fall is a best guess based on what the experts say now. We'll see how it really plays out in the next few months, but if your kid doesn't do well with the mask, it's probably best to wait until official announcements are made by Disney stating masks are no longer required.

I like Tom, he usually puts a realistic perspective on these topics. I think what he's saying Is possible, but I also think once we get past the initial 100 million vaccinated mark, things are going to really slow down on that front. Between the Waiters and the Nevers, it's going to be awhile before we get to 75% vaccinated. So really, the early fall is a best guess based on what the experts say now. We'll see how it really plays out in the next few months, but if your kid doesn't do well with the mask, it's probably best to wait until official announcements are made by Disney stating masks are no longer required.
Oh boy, can't wait to get to the point where we have that dilemma. the rollout has been PAINFULLY slow here. It's impossible to know where the bottleneck is, so can only assume it's a little of everything. We are nowhere near the point where there is plenty on-hand and the bottleneck is people are refusing to get it. By then I would think the pent-up demand, coupled with good old-fashioned peer pressure will turn the tide. Maybe Disney won't require a proof of vaccine, but I can totally see the feds putting that restriction on flying. That would pretty much be the same thing for most people. Even then I would say they could easily require masks indoors but not outdoors.

Maybe a little insight - here's the new rules in Blizzard Beach when it opens in March; https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2021/01/26/mask-requirements-for-water-parks-in-disney-world/
Interesting that likely does not include the paths around the park - just "designated areas". Could be a sign of what is to come for the other parks.

Oh boy, can't wait to get to the point where we have that dilemma. the rollout has been PAINFULLY slow here. It's impossible to know where the bottleneck is, so can only assume it's a little of everything. We are nowhere near the point where there is plenty on-hand and the bottleneck is people are refusing to get it. By then I would think the pent-up demand, coupled with good old-fashioned peer pressure will turn the tide. Maybe Disney won't require a proof of vaccine, but I can totally see the feds putting that restriction on flying. That would pretty much be the same thing for most people. Even then I would say they could easily require masks indoors but not outdoors.

Maybe a little insight - here's the new rules in Blizzard Beach when it opens in March; https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2021/01/26/mask-requirements-for-water-parks-in-disney-world/
Interesting that likely does not include the paths around the park - just "designated areas". Could be a sign of what is to come for the other parks.
I agree with you!!
The good thing about Disney is they are good at letting you reschedule. I would plan it and pay it out. I just would not hype it up in case it's a no go.
So many things will change between now and then.. for us we want some kind of fastpass to be reinstated. I did not realize how much I would miss it.

I think it's unlikely that masks won't be required but don't see the harm in keeping the trip booked then canceling or delaying when it's closer. Your son might surprise you too. My two year old went from refusing to wear a ask to short periods tolerating one to typically being good for an hour or so. We still are thinking Disney won't happen until 2022 but I feel like if we practiced more I could get him to wear a mask if we went sooner.

It's very similar to the rule that has been in place at resort pools since re-opening. Without creating separate pathways, there is no way to logically set a rule requiring masks on the paths in the waterparks because the same walkways are used to get from seating areas to the water as well as to food/shops/restrooms. I wouldn't read too much into it by trying to apply it to other areas (theme parks or resorts).

It's very similar to the rule that has been in place at resort pools since re-opening. Without creating separate pathways, there is no way to logically set a rule requiring masks on the paths in the waterparks because the same walkways are used to get from seating areas to the water as well as to food/shops/restrooms. I wouldn't read too much into it by trying to apply it to other areas (theme parks or resorts).
Good point, and probably explains why the waterparks have been closed all this time.

I personally hope this is true (and I hope it’s even sooner!). I have a 2 year old also and it’s killing me not to bring her to Disney right now. I think if we were closer to 3 then a mask would be more doable. It just really sucks because this is such a fun age, children are only this age once, and they are still free at WDW!

I personally hope this is true (and I hope it’s even sooner!). I have a 2 year old also and it’s killing me not to bring her to Disney right now. I think if we were closer to 3 then a mask would be more doable. It just really sucks because this is such a fun age, children are only this age once, and they are still free at WDW!
I completely agree it is such a fun age! I don’t want to miss out on experiencing Disney with him while he’s this little. I also agree that an older two year old would probably do way better with the mask. I understand they want to keep everyone safe but it’s just so unreasonable to expect a two year old to be able to comply.
I think being a parent of a really little child during these times is kind of sad, I feel like we’re missing out on a lot.

I completely agree it is such a fun age! I don’t want to miss out on experiencing Disney with him while he’s this little. I also agree that an older two year old would probably do way better with the mask. I understand they want to keep everyone safe but it’s just so unreasonable to expect a two year old to be able to comply.
I think being a parent of a really little child during these times is kind of sad, I feel like we’re missing out on a lot.
Agree completely with everything you said. And I also emphasize the completely unreasonable expectations for a 2 year old to keep a mask on! 😡

Agree completely with everything you said. And I also emphasize the completely unreasonable expectations for a 2 year old to keep a mask on! 😡
it is not just Disney all attractions but one in my area have the same 2 and up mask rule with the same keep mask on. and from what I have heard sounds like the small park I work at expects mask rules from all of 2021 season

it is not just Disney all attractions but one in my area have the same 2 and up mask rule with the same keep mask on. and from what I have heard sounds like the small park I work at expects mask rules from all of 2021 season
I personally think that’s crazy. Around here it is 5 and over. Two year olds won’t even keep socks on. They can’t understand the reasoning behind a mask so it’s hard to reason with them.

We live in NY and also have strict mask rules for ages 2 and up. So guess what? My child doesn’t go many places since turning 2, which is sad and unfortunate and she is missing out (as are we being her parents). I hate the age rule. She won’t even keep a clip in her hair but I’m supposed to force her to keep a piece of cloth over her mouth and nose? Yeah right.

I'm going in December with the expectation that we will be wearing masks. I suspect the adults in our party will all be vaccinated by then, but there's currently nothing approved for kids and the vaccines aren't 100 percent effective (especially if the Johnson & Johnson one gets approved). It'll be enough by then I think to prevent severe illness for most people, but not enough to keep everyone healthy entirely. So, for safety, I've already told my kids they'll definitely be wearing masks on the trip. We already booked plane tickets and the airline seems to think masks will still be needed in December. To be honest though, my kids have been wearing masks since the pandemic started last year, so they're pretty well trained by now. My state has pretty strict mask laws so they wear them at school, at taekwondo, when we're out for a walk in a crowded park, and even at the beach if it's crowded. They barely even notice them anymore. So maybe if you practice now just in case, you'd be okay?

I'm going in December with the expectation that we will be wearing masks. I suspect the adults in our party will all be vaccinated by then, but there's currently nothing approved for kids and the vaccines aren't 100 percent effective (especially if the Johnson & Johnson one gets approved). It'll be enough by then I think to prevent severe illness for most people, but not enough to keep everyone healthy entirely. So, for safety, I've already told my kids they'll definitely be wearing masks on the trip. We already booked plane tickets and the airline seems to think masks will still be needed in December. To be honest though, my kids have been wearing masks since the pandemic started last year, so they're pretty well trained by now. My state has pretty strict mask laws so they wear them at school, at taekwondo, when we're out for a walk in a crowded park, and even at the beach if it's crowded. They barely even notice them anymore. So maybe if you practice now just in case, you'd be okay?
How old are your kids, if I may ask?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter