Magic Mobile vs. Magic Band

So, our new and unused Magic bands will be about a year and a half old when we go in July. We received them in late February 2010 for what was supposed to be our Spring Break 2010 trip in March. The World shut down 5 days before we were set to arrive. Based on what I am reading I am pretty confident we won't have any issue with tapping for admission, but should I be worried about the long range RFID for ride photos on bands that will be about a year and a half old?
I wouldn’t worry. The long range batteries should work for 2-3 years.

So solid magic bands are $10 each now? I was fine paying $25 for 5 bands...but $50 for the bands is too much.

Just wondering if anyone ditched the magic band and using only magic mobile? If so, how is it working out?

I prefer not having to open app constantly, worry about battery, or having a phone for young kids if I want them to ride something without me. But that's just me. The band is so nice. Plus, I can wear it in the pool and not even take my phone to the pool.

At first, with the price increase, I planned on using Magic Mobile. I'm so used to the convenience of Magic Bands though and the WiFi in the park is questionable so I don't want to be fighting to pull something up on my phone when I could just use a Magic Band.

To understand MagicMobile, you need to understand "Express Transit mode", which you'll see under iPhone settings under Wallet & Apple Pay.

This is a new feature from Apple that is being used on mass transit systems all over the world, from China to the UK to the New York subways.

It allows you to use your Apple Watch or iPhone to board a subway WITHOUT turning the device on. Mass transit systems have embraced it, because it will allow people to go through the turnstiles much more quickly.

Also, don't sweat battery life. The system uses only a very small amount of energy. Apple claims on their website that you can still use it for as much as five hours after your iPhone battery is at 0%.

For me, the only question will be latency. I'm going next week, and if they can get it to respond as quickly as a Magic Band, people won't have a problem with switching. Especially when they see it doesn't affect their battery.

Maybe not officially but I feel they are definitely heading in that direction.

If it’s a source of profits, then I’m sure Disney will not get rid of them. It’s also a major inconvenience to have to keep pulling a phone out and worrying about reliability with connections.

If it’s a source of profits, then I’m sure Disney will not get rid of them. It’s also a major inconvenience to have to keep pulling a phone out and worrying about reliability with connections.
That's an excellent point regarding profits, but keep in mind, you will NOT need connectivity. The data (your "ticket") is stored locally on your Apple Watch or iPhone.

I'll be sticking with a Magic Band. Not everyone has an iPhone. I have an Android and there is no express mode for Google Pay. Per the set up instructions, I'll need to have my phone unlocked to use Magic Mobile. I definitely need to open G Pay to swipe other passes I manage. That's two passwords I have to enter to open the phone and G Pay every time I'd need to use this, so for me, the magic band for each member of my party is just faster.

We are a family of 5. $50 for plain magic bands just annoys me. I think we might just skip them. I have an Apple Watch so will use my mobile and get cards for everyone else.

Just wondering about photo pass. How do we get our pics without the band? Do you tap the card? (Specifically ride photos) I forget what it was like Pre-bands.

I’m a fan of magic bands and don’t plan to give it up. I appreciate Disney listening to their costumers and providing an alternative. But I don’t like being attached to my phone on vacation, which is the major reason I do t plan to give up my MB.

We are a family of 5. $50 for plain magic bands just annoys me. I think we might just skip them. I have an Apple Watch so will use my mobile and get cards for everyone else.

Just wondering about photo pass. How do we get our pics without the band? Do you tap the card? (Specifically ride photos) I forget what it was like Pre-bands.

It uses the Bluetooth signal from your phone so make sure Bluetooth is turned on.

For me, the only question will be latency. I'm going next week, and if they can get it to respond as quickly as a Magic Band, people won't have a problem with switching. Especially when they see it doesn't affect their battery.

I alternately used my Apple Watch and Magic Band puck a couple weeks ago, with no discernable difference in response time between the two. I never tried using my phone, but I would expect latency to be similar to the watch.

I'm just waiting for full functionality for Magic Mobile - charging back to the room and opening the hotel door.

A lot of the rides have tap points at the end - your 2 year old bands will work fine for those. Where you may have a problem are the rides without tap points, like Haunted Mansion. Your band may or may not pick those up.
So, would an old MB in combination with MM on an iPhone (for Bluetooth) be the same as using a new MB?

So, would an old MB in combination with MM on an iPhone (for Bluetooth) be the same as using a new MB?
It should be - but I'll say that in June we only got one copy of our photos despite my phone having Bluetooth enabled and DH wearing a lanyard with his MB puck on it. So I'm not certain it works.

This week, 2 MB, 1 hard ticket and 3 Mobile Magic (1 phone, 2 watches). MB and ticket flew through. Others were more work and often took a few tries. Will keep my MB.
In early June our Apple Watches worked just like MBs for park entry. Even had Mickey saying “Welcome Home!” DH used his MB puck in a lanyard for everything else.

Is there a way to add gift cards to your Magic Mobile app so you can pay for food with the gift card balance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter