• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lightyear

I mean, I didn't think it was bad, it jsut wasn't special, and Pixar movies are expected to be special. DId you see Luca though? I would condiser that special, with those strong Pixar feels. It's the best of their recent output.
Yep I seen Luca. Pixar isn’t the same like they were years ago. Maybe they lost some key people. I don’t know

Yep I seen Luca. Pixar isn’t the same like they were years ago. Maybe they lost some key people. I don’t know

Well, they did, not to get into all that. Pete Doctor is good though and I still think they make quality movies, but the incredibly high standards set by some of their earlier work is practically unreachable. Then agian, A Bugs Life was their second picture, and it was just okay in my estimation, so it's not like they always knocked it out of the park. I have found their recent work to be quite enjoyable, but they're certainly not as strong as the very best, which for me are Ratatouille, Coco, Monster's Inc., & Up. But you know, they can't all be those, right?

I agree, the movies haven't been the same. I need to rewatch Luca. My initial impression was that it was decent, but many Pixar films felt as though they were equally geared towards adults as much as kids, and Luca felt more for kids. That said, I haven't seen Lightyear yet.

I'll see it on Disney+. It seems to me that they're just trying to find ways to make money from the Toy Story franchise without actually making any more Toy Story movies. I agree that TS4 didn't seem all that necessary, although it had its moments.

So when's the Woody's Round-Up movie??
There's a feature about Lightyear on Disney+ that's interesting, especially in the design process. The film's director is a toy fan, and this movie does have lots of merchandise. There's even scenes of the filmmakers playing around with the Lightyear toys. While the merch is technically supplemental to the film, I think you're correct, and I wouldn't be surprised if the movie was greenlit as the means to boost merch sales.

Actually considering the Toy Story shorts, Pixar could easily do a D+ series about other toys beyond the usual Bonnie/Andy characters. Many of the oddball characters and guest stars used in the shorts and later films were proof that you don't always have to feature Buzz and Woody. I think it's entirely possible to do this with new themes and characters, keeping in mind it's still adventure and comedy. Might have to do some minor relabeling, in case some Star Wars fa I mean Toy Story fans gripe about producers treading in sacred waters.

I find it odd that they made this movie at all. Back about 20 years or so ago, they already made a cartoon with Buzz Lightyear's backstory: Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. My kids LOVED it! Because they did such a great job with that, I can't see this one being anything but a disappointment to me.

I find it odd that they made this movie at all. Back about 20 years or so ago, they already made a cartoon with Buzz Lightyear's backstory: Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. My kids LOVED it! Because they did such a great job with that, I can't see this one being anything but a disappointment to me.

Well,

At the end of the movie they do form the "Universe Protection Unit" so that's at least a connection.

I do wish they'd put that series on Disney+.

I haven't seen it and probably won't. What I found very interesting was one of my team members with a 4 year old went. Said it was a good movie, but her son preferred Sonic 2. I looked up the opening weekend numbers, pretty funny/strange/odd that both Sonic 1 & 2 movies opening earned more than Lightyear. Disney is supposed to be THE story telling company, but appears they have lost their way.

Disney can spin it all they want but IMHO Buzz Lightyear is (was) Tim Allen. From a fan perspective, it was a mistake not to cast him.

I haven't seen it and probably won't. What I found very interesting was one of my team members with a 4 year old went. Said it was a good movie, but her son preferred Sonic 2. I looked up the opening weekend numbers, pretty funny/strange/odd that both Sonic 1 & 2 movies opening earned more than Lightyear. Disney is supposed to be THE story telling company, but appears they have lost their way.

Disney can spin it all they want but IMHO Buzz Lightyear is (was) Tim Allen. From a fan perspective, it was a mistake not to cast him.

I don't think they needed Tim Allen, though I am also not sure that Chris Evans was the right choice. Honestly, when I think of the "real" Space Ranger Buzz, I think of Patrick Warburton!

Pixar wanted to make "human" Buzz distinct from the toy Buzz. I didn't mind when I heard Evans was involved, but supposedly the lack of Tim Allen was another reason why people weren't jumping to see the movie.

And really, Evans did make various comments relating to filling Allen's shoes. It's a difficult thing to try to cast a Buzz to somewhat emulate another Buzz while also seeking distinction between them.

I've had no urge to see the Sonic movies, but then I was never interested in the whole Sonic universe. It was hilarious to see "Ugly Sonic" in the new Rescue Rangers movie though.

Pixar wanted to make "human" Buzz distinct from the toy Buzz. I didn't mind when I heard Evans was involved, but supposedly the lack of Tim Allen was another reason why people weren't jumping to see the movie.

And really, Evans did make various comments relating to filling Allen's shoes. It's a difficult thing to try to cast a Buzz to somewhat emulate another Buzz while also seeking distinction between them.

I've had no urge to see the Sonic movies, but then I was never interested in the whole Sonic universe. It was hilarious to see "Ugly Sonic" in the new Rescue Rangers movie though.

The first Sonic was actually pretty good, surprisingly so, especially after the early missteps. I really respect that they took the time to fix it. I recently watched Sonic 2 though, and it was pretty disappointing - not nearly as good!

I saw it on Saturday. I thought it was pretty good. I like how they worked in some of Buzz's famous quotes like, "You're mocking me."

I get why they didn't cast Tim Allen. Of course the real Buzz isn't going to sound like the toy Buzz. Their voices aren't so different that it isn't believable.

Sox completely stole the show! I'm a cat person so I knew I would like him. But he surpassed my cat lover expectations. He's easily one of the best Disney cats ever.

The only thing that really bothered me was that Zurg didn't stay cannon to the original movies. Especially Toy Story 2. I really didn't like the turn the plot took there.

Did anybody else notice how in the credits the production babies are listed as "Future Space Rangers"? 🤣🤣🤣

Saw it today though Chris Evans did a great and excellent job there over voicing the titular character. But really Tim Allen is the original. The original is the original no matter what.

I’m really looking forward to seeing it.
Personally, I’m glad they didn’t use Tim Allen since the Buzzs are completely different (and this is coming from a huge Toy Story fan).

Personally, I’m glad they didn’t use Tim Allen since the Buzzs are completely different (and this is coming from a huge Toy Story fan).
I haven't seen it, just read about it online. I also couldn't understand the outrage over not using Tim Allen when I saw what the movie was about. It's a different character, so why would the same person voice two different characters?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter