Lightyear

Our 4yo had the flu this week and watched all 4 TS movies... needless to say, he's obsessed, and we've watched them every day he's been home in bed. He's VERY excited to see Lightyear because he loves Buzz, space, ships, etc. Thankfully, we are going on a Disney Cruise July 2nd so can see it onboard for "free" since everyone has said it's pretty lackluster.
Our 2.5 year old is obsessed with Buzz and yells his name whenever the commercial comes on Disney Junior. We’re going on a Disney cruise in August so that will be his first movie experience. :)

Like I said earlier, the movie sucked for a whole bunch of reasons that have NOTHING to do with the same sex kiss that’s on screen.

If they’d replaced that kiss with a man and woman kissing, the movie would STILL SUCK!

Are some people not seeing it entirely BECAUSE of the same sex kiss? Yes. To those who are upset by that…move on.

…because those would-be movie goers are really not missing much by not seeing this movie.

There’s better story telling and entertainment in the Obiwan Kenobi TV series anyway. Go watch that instead.

The thing is that same-sex couples have become more visible in society, therefore they are becomming more visible in movies. It's not "ramming it down anyone's throat" it's just that art imitates life. There was a time when an interracial couple could not have been shown on screen too. Now, in some cases there is absolutely an artificial corproate attempt to "check boxes," which I can understand feels disingenuous and offputting. In this movie, the scene is very organic and doesn't come across as forced or anything.

First off, I have no desire to see this movie. My 12 year old has no desire to see this movie. We are probably not the target demographic though lol. We will probably watch it on Disney plus at some point when it comes out. So I will reserve my judgement until I actually see it.

As far as the same sex kiss or whatever, it seems silly to me to not see a movie because of that. Even if you feel strongly because of religious convictions that it is not appropriate, at some point you or your children will encounter same sex couples. And I hope that you will have told your children that, even if we might not approve of their lifestyle, we should always be kind and generous of heart and spirit when it might come to these encounters.

I also don’t like the idea of “checking boxes” that many corporations/businesses feel that they must do. But I also am sensitive to the fact that sometimes you might want to do that in an organic way so that everyone feels represented. It’s just really complicated how you do that without feeling forced. And also keep in mind that only about 1% of families in the US consist of same sex couples raising kids. So you wouldn’t expect to see a huge amount of same sex couple with children represented in movies and TV shows. But if that represented me, or my family, or my friend’s family, I would certainly want to see that sometimes/in some ways when I look at the big (or small) screen. It’s complicated but we should always be tolerant. And kind.

And also keep in mind that only about 1% of families in the US consist of same sex couples raising kids.
Exactly, when you compare that with the percentage of people with down syndrome, blindness or autism makes you wonder why still we don't have a magical story with a blind kid who can see things that another kids can't or a down syndrome or autism kid who can feel things that others can't.

If they have to represent it they have to do it correctly in the right amount, but it seems that in the last movies Disney has produced we have only been exposed to LGBT storylines from Jungle Cruise to Strange world and even if it's not Disney Jurassic World heck somewhat even Sonic 2

I haven’t seen the movie, I might watch it when it goes to D+ but probably not, I haven’t liked the last few Pixar movies so I don’t expect to like this one. Maybe because I will have a hard time seeing Buzz as anyone other than the toy character in Toy Story.

As far as the kiss, I think its great for kids who are growing up with same sex parents. They probably wonder why they never see families like theirs in movies.
I’ll never understand shielding your kids from the world. Why not use the scene as an opportunity to teach your kids that families come in all shapes and sizes.

If you are on the fence, I would say go. We still need these small titles to hit theaters. Every little bit helps! :goodvibes

Umm, Lightyear was made on a big blockbuster production budget of $200M. Small titles, it isn't. If you want to support a small title this weekend, The Black Phone had an $18M production budget, although that's in the suspense/horror genre.

Umm, Lightyear was made on a big blockbuster production budget of $200M. Small titles, it isn't. If you want to support a small title this weekend, The Black Phone had an $18M production budget, although that's in the suspense/horror genre.
I meant smaller for Disney. I am comparing it to Marvel and Star Wars movies.

I just watched Lightyear. It was okay for the first part. Then with the surprise halfway through... that completely changes the Buzz Lightyear ride in the Disney Parks.

And I can agree with Tim Allen, I know it is presented as the movie of Buzz which Andy loved and the toy got based on, but it is a stand alone movie not connected to the rest of the Toy Story movies.

It also could be 10-20 minutes shorter, it started to drag at the end.

Conclusion: it is an okay movie.

I just watched it this weekend. I really liked it! After seeing it, I’m surprised it got such a poor reaction from so many people. I thought it was good. :confused3

I just watched it this weekend. I really liked it! After seeing it, I’m surprised it got such a poor reaction from so many people. I thought it was good. :confused3
I think because Pixar has made such great movies in the past. Where the movies really pulled on your heart strings. They haven't reached that level for a long time.

Doesn't make their latest movies bad, just disappointing. The audience doesn’t want Pixar to do okay. We want Pixar to be amazing. And when it is not... it gets even worse.

We watched it last night and I thought the same. I don't understand what all the fuss was about. It was entertaining the whole way through.

I think because Pixar has made such great movies in the past. Where the movies really pulled on your heart strings. They haven't reached that level for a long time.

Doesn't make their latest movies bad, just disappointing. The audience doesn’t want Pixar to do okay. We want Pixar to be amazing. And when it is not... it gets even worse.

I think that's it too. It's not that Lightyear is "bad" by any means, but it's just not great either, and it could've been great! I will say that I think Luca has that real Pixar charm and some strong emotional moments, but it's really the only one of the last several.

I think that's it too. It's not that Lightyear is "bad" by any means, but it's just not great either, and it could've been great! I will say that I think Luca has that real Pixar charm and some strong emotional moments, but it's really the only one of the last several.
I thought Turning Red was great in that regard. Onward hit on the emotions at the end, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter