• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lightyear

Kennywood

Kennywood
Apparently, "Lightyear" underwhelmed this past weekend. With a budget of $200 million, the movie made just $51 million domestically and $85.6 million globally. Disney had expected the film to make that amount just domestically. The film is expected to drop off sharply over the next few weeks.

I have zero interest in seeing this. I also think a lot of people are confused as to what this movie is about. I'm seeing a lot of people on social media that don't know that this movie is about the Buzz Lightyear movie that Andy saw as a kid and wanted the toy of, rather than it being about the Buzz Lightyear toy character from the Toy Story movies.

I have zero interest in seeing this. I also think a lot of people are confused as to what this movie is about. I'm seeing a lot of people on social media that don't know that this movie is about the Buzz Lightyear movie that Andy saw as a kid and wanted the toy of, rather than it being about the Buzz Lightyear toy character from the Toy Story movies.
I don't know why so many are confused, the concept is pretty clear. I am not a big Toy Story fan and do not plan on seeing it in theaters. But we will watch it when it comes to Disney+. We are not against it in any way, but just not big fans.

Saw it with the wife on the opening Thursday night. There were about 15-20 people in the theater.

The dialog was not as witty as the Toy Story movies. The story line was much more adult than child oriented.

We both enjoyed the movie.

How Zurg in the toy world is Buzz's father but a future Lightyear is Zurg in the Lightyear world. I guess I am not smart enough to know why they can be different since the toy world should be based on the Lightyear world.

I'll see it eventually, but don't need to in theaters. I can wait for it to be on Disney+.

Saw it as a family on Saturday. For sentimental reasons there's no way would we miss an installment of the Toy Story franchise, even if they suck (looking at you TS4 :rolleyes1). We paid through the nose to see it in D-Box format, which honestly, added nothing. I don't think 3-D would be super-effective either. JMO, but I'm also starting to hate how "smooth" animation now appears. I miss the vibrancy and happy feeling of what looked like authentic "cartoons".

We saw it last weekend. The movie wasn't very good, in my opinion, for Pixar standards. The robot cat was the most entertaining part of it. Buzz Lightyear's voice should have been Tim Allen and my brain had a hard time not hearing that voice as Buzz.

The middle part of the movie dragged on. The plot wasn't very good. The dialog was just sort of 'meh.' It also lacked that 'tug at your heart strings' feel that I love about a bunch of other Pixar movies. And I think who Emperor Zurg turned out to be was totally dumb.

The media & Hollywood are up in arms over how the movie has been banned in 14 other countries. They are tone deaf if they don't understand why. However, the movie wasn't very good for a bunch of other reasons that had NOTHING to do with the same sex kiss.

At the end of the credits, it's obvious that they're looking to make another movie. I'm not going to see movie #2 if they do produce one.

Saw it with the wife on the opening Thursday night. There were about 15-20 people in the theater.

The dialog was not as witty as the Toy Story movies. The story line was much more adult than child oriented.

We both enjoyed the movie.

How Zurg in the toy world is Buzz's father but a future Lightyear is Zurg in the Lightyear world. I guess I am not smart enough to know why they can be different since the toy world should be based on the Lightyear world.

Answer to your spoilery question:
Zurg is not Buzz's father in any continuity, such as the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (cartoon). He has claimed this on ocassion as a distraction and as a parody of Star Wars. There is no indication that Zurg is actually related to Buzz at all, nor any revelation of his true identity.

I enjoyed Lightyear. I'd say it was a very good movie - but I would also say that it didn't quite live up to it's potential and as a Pixar film, is decidedly middle-of-the-pack. It could ahve fleshed out a few things better and feels a little rushed. It was still very enjoyable though. It's unfortunate that it is underperforming because it was Pixar's return to theaters. It honestly wasn't as good as the three straight to D+ Pixar films though.

My family enjoyed this much more than any of the Pixar releases that went straight to D+. It was also the first time we were back in a theater since pre-covid, but we loved this movie. it may not be our favorite Pixar movie, some of their early gems are hard to surpass, but this was a movie to see on the big screen and I wish it was being better received.

My family enjoyed this much more than any of the Pixar releases that went straight to D+. It was also the first time we were back in a theater since pre-covid, but we loved this movie. it may not be our favorite Pixar movie, some of their early gems are hard to surpass, but this was a movie to see on the big screen and I wish it was being better received.

For me it was a fine movie - very good even, but I had maybe hyped it a bit more in my head. It was definitely good, but I feel like it could have been great. Luca was absolutely great, I think the strongest of the bunch, which surprises me because I didn't have a lot of hype for it going in.

Speaking of hyping a movie in my head, Strange World is looking really, really good!

Last edited:
I'll see it on Disney+. It seems to me that they're just trying to find ways to make money from the Toy Story franchise without actually making any more Toy Story movies. I agree that TS4 didn't seem all that necessary, although it had its moments.

So when's the Woody's Round-Up movie??

I saw it today with my daughter. We both enjoyed it immensely and fell in love with Sox. Was it the best Pixar movie ever, no. But I liked it a whole lot better than the universally adored Encanto. I hated that movie. It was so heavy with its ugly familial negativity and I found the ending thoroughly unsatisfying. That evil grandma got off way too easy! I don't understand the internet hate on Lightyear as the premise is easy enough to understand. And it was a fun watch.

I've been pretty picky about my movie theater watching. Thankfully, I've liked the 3 movies I have seen. I highly recommend Everything Everywhere All At Once, but I guess that's for another thread.

For me it was a fine movie - very good even, but I had maybe hyped it a bit more in my head. It was definitely good, but I feel like it could have been great. Luca was absolutely great, I think the strongest of the bunch, which surprises me because I didn't have a lot of hype for it going in.

Speaking of hyping a movie in my head, Strange World is looking really, really good!
Luca was a great movie, but it was also a movie I had no problem seeing in my living room. Lightyear wouldn't have been the same on tv vs seeing it on the big screen. I'm glad we saw it at the theater.

I agree with you about Strange World! It looks like it could be good.

I saw it today with my daughter. We both enjoyed it immensely and fell in love with Sox. Was it the best Pixar movie ever, no. But I liked it a whole lot better than the universally adored Encanto. I hated that movie. It was so heavy with its ugly familial negativity and I found the ending thoroughly unsatisfying. That evil grandma got off way too easy! I don't understand the internet hate on Lightyear as the premise is easy enough to understand. And it was a fun watch.

I've been pretty picky about my movie theater watching. Thankfully, I've liked the 3 movies I have seen. I highly recommend Everything Everywhere All At Once, but I guess that's for another thread.
I have the same feelings as you about Encanto. I really disliked the family. The movie was a huge swing and miss.

Luca was a great movie, but it was also a movie I had no problem seeing in my living room. Lightyear wouldn't have been the same on tv vs seeing it on the big screen. I'm glad we saw it at the theater.

I agree with you about Strange World! It looks like it could be good.

I can agree that Lightyear benefits more from the big screen than Luca, but Luca is still the better movie by far. It has that classic Pixar heart, with a little Studio Ghibli style too. It was really good!

One of the 3 worst Pixar of all time. One person out of 6 in our fam liked it (the boy between 8-12).

We gave it a D+ - as both the quality grade and the place you should watch it. My kids felt bad I spent any money on the movie, but then I told them that's why I picked cheap Tuesday.

Last edited:
Seen it Sunday. Shouldn’t expect much since it was Pixar. Pixar has really went downhill.

I mean, I didn't think it was bad, it jsut wasn't special, and Pixar movies are expected to be special. DId you see Luca though? I would condiser that special, with those strong Pixar feels. It's the best of their recent output.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter