• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lightyear

Yeah, I'm very curious as to what is apparently so horrible about this movie!

If you'd like a list, I can give you one:)...

But, most people start with "the twist" and go from there.

If the movie could have just been the 1st 5 minutes, it would have been an A - but after the title screen, it devolves into awfulness and continues til you see the twist and its aftermath (which makes absolutely zero sense, destroys continuity, is just stupid and makes the whole movie pointless, again, I could go on)...

Although special note of Waititi's character for the pointlessness and annoyingness brought to the movie through both the voice acting and the actual created characterization...

If you'd like a list, I can give you one:)...

But, most people start with "the twist" and go from there.

If the movie could have just been the 1st 5 minutes, it would have been an A - but after the title screen, it devolves into awfulness and continues til you see the twist and its aftermath (which makes absolutely zero sense, destroys continuity, is just stupid and makes the whole movie pointless, again, I could go on)...

Although special note of Waititi's character for the pointlessness and annoyingness brought to the movie through both the voice acting and the actual created characterization...
This seems like something you would know AFTER seeing the movie, not beforehand, like some other posters here.

(I know exactly what the other posters are referring to, btw, I just want them to actually come out and say it.)

This seems like something you would know AFTER seeing the movie, not beforehand, like some other posters here.

(I know exactly what the other posters are referring to, btw, I just want them to actually come out and say it.)

My teens were "salty" in their words after seeing the movie...which was better than the 5 year old kid behind us in literal tears after cheering til the twist who then spent 5 minutes screaming about it.

I mean, I'll take salty vs crying - at least you have a kid willing to make fun of the whole thing after...but that poor mom with the 5 year old boy who paid for her kid to feel that way...ouch.

Thus, why I said this is a D+ movie - maybe you'll fit the very tiny demo who likes this, but more likely even if you do, someone in your family will viscerally hate this, and you'll wonder why the he$$ you spent the money when you could have waited 5 weeks for D+...

Thus my review it's a D+ movie made for D+...

I'm just tired of all the lgtb stuff being forced down my kids throats, people can do whatever they want and I'm fine with it, but just stop pushing it on the kids it's just getting out of control and it's not just Disney. Clearly by by the opening I'm not in the minority.
It's a 2 second scene at best. How is it "out of control"? Also you can apply that to Disney films that include a heterosexual kiss as well.

Why do you want someone to come out and say something that will obviously be controversial? The baiting is so tiresome

I'm just tired of all the lgtb stuff being forced down my kids throats, people can do whatever they want and I'm fine with it, but just stop pushing it on the kids it's just getting out of control and it's not just Disney. Clearly by by the opening I'm not in the minority.
What about all the hetero stuff that has been pushed on LGBTQ+ kids since the beginning of time? That's definitely out of control.

Last edited:
I don't even understand why it's an "issue" at all that a character in the movie is gay.
And the scene itself is less than 2 seconds. A leaked video of the scene was uploaded to Twitter and the kiss is approximately 1.5 seconds long. All this outrage for 1.5 seconds out of a 105 minute long film.

Personally I have no interest in seeing it because it doesn't look interesting to me. But refusing to see it for a single same sex kiss is IMO silly.

Wait, there are still parents out there trying to hide same-sex relationships from their kids? :rotfl2:
Yes, somehow people just existing and doing normal things like holding hands or a quick kiss is “shoving it down peoples’ throats”. My spouse and I (hetero) show affection in public all the time. It would never enter my mind that someone would think we were “pushing our lifestyle” or flaunting our sexuality in front of children. Yet those are always what people claim when it’s a same-sex couple.

Heck, I have held hands, hugged, and kissed my adult children in public. Hopefully no one was outraged thinking we were a couple. I honestly think kids wouldn’t even notice if the parents didn’t make such a big deal about it.

Our 4yo had the flu this week and watched all 4 TS movies... needless to say, he's obsessed, and we've watched them every day he's been home in bed. He's VERY excited to see Lightyear because he loves Buzz, space, ships, etc. Thankfully, we are going on a Disney Cruise July 2nd so can see it onboard for "free" since everyone has said it's pretty lackluster.

Film was good, if it was released on Plus nobody would have blinked about it and just watched. I saw it with my three sons and they all enjoyed it. The kiss scene that some have mentioned didn't mean anything to them. They saw it and simply moved on with the rest of the film. I'll bet any amount of money that when this is released on the Dis streaming platform it will get the bump that it missed on the first weekend of release. It underperforming just gives ammo to certain toxic fandoms that believe anything that Dis now does will fail because of their woke go whatever nonsense. It plays into their nationalist leaning zealotry.

My favorite Pixar line "BUT it's a talking DOG!!"

Song that made this grown woman cry. "When she loved me."

I’m guessing Disney employees and media will not admit the real reason why a lot of parents have zero interest in taking their kids.

The elephant in the room. We won't be taking our kids to see it.

I don't even understand why it's an "issue" at all that a character in the movie is gay.
A certain type of phobia is the answer here. Can't quite think of it's name though.

I had no intention of seeing it but my little boy broke his arm on Sunday and needed emergency surgery. My sister was supposed to have the kids this week but I don't want to be separated from my little guy so she took us all to the movies instead for him and he picked Lightyear.

We all thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely watch it on D+. It was a cute movie with some really memorable characters.

I loved Buzz's relationship with Hawthorne, it was mutually supportive and loving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter