Land Border Opening?

If so then it might be moot because Tam said they don't want to open to tourists until we are 75% FULLY vaccinated now.
THIS!!!!! This just frustrates the ever living heck out of me. They keep moving the goal posts!!! STOP GOING BACK ON YOUR WORD AND CHANGING THE GOAL POSTS!!!!

I see that Canadians as a whole are going to get our vaccines faster (now) and at a higher rate than many other countries (G7 included) BUT to make a goal post like that is feels like it is almost not achievable. It feels like it's bribery/coercion/entrapment at this point to get people to get their vaccination. They and the media talk and spin words about variants to put the fear of the virus into people to get the vaccination. Yes...it's a virus, and viruses mutate. We are going to be combating this for YEARS!!! At this point it seems like they are wanting to keep us in the ever locked bubble forever. With them continually moving the goal posts, the people are starting to get restless. At what point do we get to move forward? Especially when we see other countries with definite plans for reopening, and moving forard....Where is the plan for Canadians?

THIS!!!!! This just frustrates the ever living heck out of me. They keep moving the goal posts!!! STOP GOING BACK ON YOUR WORD AND CHANGING THE GOAL POSTS!!!!

I see that Canadians as a whole are going to get our vaccines faster (now) and at a higher rate than many other countries (G7 included) BUT to make a goal post like that is feels like it is almost not achievable. It feels like it's bribery/coercion/entrapment at this point to get people to get their vaccination. They and the media talk and spin words about variants to put the fear of the virus into people to get the vaccination. Yes...it's a virus, and viruses mutate. We are going to be combating this for YEARS!!! At this point it seems like they are wanting to keep us in the ever locked bubble forever. With them continually moving the goal posts, the people are starting to get restless. At what point do we get to move forward? Especially when we see other countries with definite plans for reopening, and moving forard....Where is the plan for Canadians?
I think once the G7 meeting is over there will be a plan. They did say they wanted to work together with other countries on a vaccine passport.

We have a mid-August trip planned....supposed to drive across the border and fly from there. I'm the only one in my household fully vaccinated....my husband and one child will have one dose and the other is under 12. I had been feeling so optimistic but today I'm just feeling so unsure we'll get across the border. I work in healthcare and haven't had time off in over a year and a half...these Disney trip plans are the only thing that's been keeping me from completely burning out....at least I had something to look forward to.

The outline in April for 75/20 partial reopening and 75/75 full reopening was always about guiding domestic health policy. They never said anything about letting international tourists in at 75/20. Nothing's moved, shifted, changed.

Other party memebers for MONTHS have been asking for a reopening plan. They couldn't/wouldn't even make a plan for the vaccine roll out and left it up to the provinces to figure out what worked best.

And months ago we didn't know how well the vaccines would reduce transmission (rather than symptoms/severity/death). We didn't know if the increased risk of something like Delta would change when it would be safe to reopen (frankly, we're not out of the woods yet on Delta & we won't know until we try the partial reopening that is starting).
Confederation is a tricky beast but I can sum it up by saying the feds cannot unilaterally overrule provincial rollout plans.

My eyeballs just twitch now when I hear JT or Tam talk on the news. I can't stand listening to either of them anymore

I can see this is all upsetting you, just in the last page alone. There's been a lot of good news in the last couple days alone. Quarantine exemption for fully vaccinated Canadians, more doses coming in June, enough vaccine shipments we can potentially have everyone who wants it fully vaccinated by end of July. There's a lot of positive things worth celebrating, even if you don't like the people sharing them.

Just a friendly reminder that there are new posting guidelines (see top of the stickies on the main Canadian threads). This discussion is being watched. I don't want to lose any of my fellow peeps here on Canadian DIS.

Last edited:
I can totally understand why people are frustrated.
Edited - I read the new guidelines in the sticky notes and I’m confused if I can say anything about the US or EU
So I deleted the rest of my comment.
Just want to say I guess, I don’t blame people for having enough of this whole thing, no clear guidelines for those vaccinated.

Last edited:
I can totally understand why people are frustrated.
Edited - I read the new guidelines in the sticky notes and I’m confused if I can say anything about the US or EU
So I deleted the rest of my comment.
Just want to say I guess, I don’t blame people for having enough of this whole thing, no clear guidelines for those vaccinated.
My read thru of the new guidelines (ok several reads!) makes me think they mean ANY political discussion, so even our own country & provincial politics could be deemed a violation 🤷‍♀️
SO in my mind it's ok to say the federal government has said X regarding the border opening and what will be required to get there BUT if we then discuss how we feel about that or if we agree or disagree about that we've crossed the line.

Just before you posted this....I thought to myself....Good LORD....you sound like an old miserable cow :rolleyes: :laughing:. I'm really not such a miserable person (most of the time) So I'm stepping away now...going to stop and smell the flowers I've planted in the back yard and enjoy my lilac tree!!!!
I've caught myself several times over the last (insert an indiscernible amount of time) sounding like my grandmother ! Everyone is walking around one step from "look at me the wrong way and I will poke your eyes out with a flaming hot poker" !

My 2 favourite gardens smells are hyacinth (if we can keep the bunnies from eating them before they bloom) and lilacs, wish we had a tree!!

My read thru of the new guidelines (ok several reads!) makes me think they mean ANY political discussion, so even our own country & provincial politics could be deemed a violation 🤷‍♀️
SO in my mind it's ok to say the federal government has said X regarding the border opening and what will be required to get there BUT if we then discuss how we feel about that or if we agree or disagree about that we've crossed the line.
Yes I was just going to say when others opened up in comparison but after reading the guidelines not sure if I can name other countries anymore, best to delete it.
Honestly moot point in a way. It is what it is here in Canada and unless we move we are stuck. We have the right to be frustrated though , I would say a few months back only some people I talked to were, in general people were ok to keep following the guidelines. Now it seems 99% are fed up with the lack of plan and clarity.

I've caught myself several times over the last (insert an indiscernible amount of time) sounding like my grandmother ! Everyone is walking around one step from "look at me the wrong way and I will poke your eyes out with a flaming hot poker" !

My 2 favourite gardens smells are hyacinth (if we can keep the bunnies from eating them before they bloom) and lilacs, wish we had a tree!!
Agree, and offer for your consideration: Peony and Lily of the Valley.

Yes I was just going to say when others opened up in comparison but after reading the guidelines not sure if I can name other countries anymore, best to delete it.
Honestly moot point in a way. It is what it is here in Canada and unless we move we are stuck. We have the right to be frustrated though , I would say a few months back only some people I talked to were, in general people were ok to keep following the guidelines. Now it seems 99% are fed up with the lack of plan and clarity.
I like to think of Covid like a roller coaster I got stuck on in California. We went around the circuit once, then they decided to let us go again, back to the beginning and they didn't know how to get it to stop so off we went on a third round. Finally they stopped us but couldn't back us down and we had to complete the ciruit.

When I got off I had a slight concussion but wasn't really the worse for wear. (this was a 100 year old roller coaster at a beach, very bumpy). It is what it is and we will all come through to the other side and get off our roller coaster we call Covid.

Just before you posted this....I thought to myself....Good LORD....you sound like an old miserable cow :rolleyes: :laughing:. I'm really not such a miserable person (most of the time) So I'm stepping away now...going to stop and smell the flowers I've planted in the back yard and enjoy my lilac tree!!!!

Not going to lie, when I saw you’re the “Eeyore” in your family signature I:rotfl2:
We’ve all got frustrations to vent somewhere even if I don’t think people like it done here!

I have to laugh or I’d cry but I was looking forward to this land border announcement and while the early July timing is about where I figured, ironically it doesn’t help my family at all. My parents are fully vaccinated but not Canadian so they still can’t cross to visit. My wife and I still can’t go south because we’re only two weeks past our 1st shot. Weeks away from 2nd. It’s only an extra few weeks but while aggregate news is good I do totally understand a little personal rain cloud 🌧

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!