Is it Just Me? Part II - AKV

Looks like several of us feel the same about the pool. I could see it getting crowded there as someone mentioned. And for the naming of the garage sections----maybe they just wanted something catchy and memorable so people didn't forget where they parked ? I LOVE the fact that there is underground parking though.

My only real complaint about Kidani continues to be no CS restaurant.
Same with me. My dh and I joked, that before checking into Kidani, we're pulling up to Jambo and running in Mara to get a vacation supply of zebra domes ! :rotfl: I could also see driving over periodically for the African Stew at Mara (very good). I won't be taking the bus back and forth as I feel that would be longer than driving or even walking when you factor in the wait times. Who knows. I may change my mind.

I hope not about the lobby check-in too as Dean suggested could happen. I'm thinking that could be quite confusing and cause congestion. I could see cars pulling up to Jambo and idling while one member of the family runs in and checks in. Or would they provide shuttles ? I mean, Kidani guests would have to park at KV....then backtrack over to Jambo to check-in......then backtrack again to their car to get their luggage. That would be one big hot mess if you ask me. I hope it never happens. But with DVC, I realize everything and anything is fair game.

Thank you. I'm glad some of you liked my pictures. I thought it was very warm and richly themed inside. Thank goodness they made up for the outside with the inside ;)

Oh...one more pic. I found this in the common hallway outside the library---shows the activities for the week for anyone who might be interested :

IMG_2734.jpg

Maria

For all the people complaining about the parking at Kidani, not being themed, looking industrial, etc., etc. What if they had themed it very nicely? With all the cars driving through, spewing exhaust and whatnot, how long before this nice theming began to look shabby and dirty? How much of our maintenance fees would have to be spent constantly scrubbing and cleaning to keep the theming looking nice? Good grief, people, it's a parking garage! Let it look industrial as long as it's under cover, out of the Florida weather, and easy to maintain. How many rooms have a garage view? None? So then what's the big deal? And it didn't seem to me that it was so open as other folks are saying. There is a parking area as a berm between the road and the undercover area, as you drive up, and there is also landscaping which will obscure the view underneath more as it fills in.

Besides, do any of the parking areas at any of the resorts or parks have any kind of theming? Not that I can think of - blacktop and striping is the extent of it. Why waste money on something that is essentially off stage?

I totally agree!!

I just spent 3-nights in a dedicated 2-bedroom at AKV and I absolutely loved it! The rooms were incredible. They felt so much bigger than some of the other resorts and the layout was much better. The master bath was huge!

I loved the parking garage. I thought it was very convenient and you couldn't really see it from the road leading up to the lobby. You could take the elevator closest to you room up to your room so that you didn't have to walk the entire hallway.

The pool is bigger than some of the other villa pools and the water area was really fun. My boys loved it.

I didn't care to much for Sanaa though. The views were wonderful, but I liked Boma much better. I really wish they would get a counter service restaurant though.

Even though BCV is my home resort, I really liked AKV more than I thought I would and wouldn't hesitate staying there again.

I really like the idea of parking under the building and near your unit (via specific elevators). I also like that it keeps you out of the hot sun with the car. As for the "green" of the outside of the building, I think that is mostly an issue in that section where you drive into the Kidani complex. Once you get to the lobby area, the building looks better with the decks etc. I'm also quite sure it will improve greatly with mature vegetation and the opening of the new savanna.

While my first impressions had some negative aspects to it, I'm anxious to get a chance to stay there. It looks like it will be awhile though, because our next AKV stay will be in December in Concierge for a few nights.

I hope not about the lobby check-in too as Dean suggested could happen. I'm thinking that could be quite confusing and cause congestion. I could see cars pulling up to Jambo and idling while one member of the family runs in and checks in. Or would they provide shuttles ? I mean, Kidani guests would have to park at KV....then backtrack over to Jambo to check-in......then backtrack again to their car to get their luggage. That would be one big hot mess if you ask me. I hope it never happens. But with DVC, I realize everything and anything is fair game.

Thank you. I'm glad some of you liked my pictures. I thought it was very warm and richly themed inside. Thank goodness they made up for the outside with the inside ;)

Oh...one more pic. I found this in the common hallway outside the library---shows the activities for the week for anyone who might be interested :

IMG_2734.jpg

Maria

I agree check in at Jambo for Kidani would be a nightmare!

I saw that board outside of the library too. I like how nice they made an announcement board look like the theme. I hope that continues too! I'm sure we'll all like the looks of things at Kidani better once the vegetation grows up. I just wish that first view of the building wasn't so generic!

I'm also quite sure it will improve greatly with mature vegetation and the opening of the new savanna.

Dh and I said this exact same thing Diane.......it still looks a little stark, but sure that will change..........

Maria

The hardest thing would simply be that it was a change from what is currently happening. I don't think it'd be nearly as bad as you think and with the online checkin (when they get the kinks worked out), it really doesn't make sense to keep the lobby open there 24 hours. I could see something like a CM during high volume time and a sign up saying go to Jambo for the rest. I'd place the olds at about 50/50 long term for check in at Jambo at least part of the time, we shall see.

The parking being exposed is fairly easy to fix with minor coverings that will brake up the contour, many other places do it successfully with places just as exposed.

The room decor is not our favorite but who cares (then again I never could see how a fabric color and the shape of some chairs can make much difference in liking an entire resort or not), we would have no problems staying in them, having flat screen HD would be nice, 5 in a 1BR, new appliances and no mold, the views of animals is fine (I would imagine great to many) but we are not zoo people anyway (again no reason to not stay at AKV) and certainly dont compare to the BLT BL View or MK View IMO, the swim area looks odd because it appears out of place (sort of like seeing a play park in Africa would) but still would be very nice as well. But we visit central Florida because of WDW and efficient use of our time while we are there is the only thing that matters, and nothing about AKV is enough to overcome not being able to walk to at least one park. We might have stayed there once or twice for a few days if it was closer to AK allowing a reasonable walk or even a boat ride to (even though AK is are least visited park). Its just like sking in Colorado. We know we will ski 2 or 3 resorts, but for sure we will stay at the base of one to have a few days of ski in and ski out-not just somewhere in the middle and drive to all 3.

Again, to each there own (which is the great thing), but taking buses to everything is not an option for us. So its 5 (up to 14) less people looking for AKV ressies at 7 months which is good for AKV lovers. :thumbsup2

Here's my take on AKV. I think most owners are going to get tired of staying there all the time. But I think most DVC members are going to want to stay there at least once, or at the very least won't MIND staying there at least once. I think they built it a little too big, but overall I think it is a good addition.

I think most owners are going to get tired of staying there all the time.

Can't that be said about every resort?

That said, I think the bulk of AKV buyers are buying it because it's AKL, and it'll have a "loyal" group of owners. Remember that it's never had to stand on its own as the DVC default resort (aka, the only resort currently marketed for direct sale). It's shared time with SSR and now BLT. Accordingly, most AKV owners have chosen AKV out of at least two actively marketed options.

Speaking from experience
When you take the car out and it has been 90+ all day, you won't care what the garage looks like. It was such a pleasure to get into a comfortable car.

When we bought into DVC in June of '08 we did the tour of both SSR and AKV. We just hated how dark the AKV's were and knew immediately we preferred SSR. We did indeed purchase DVC with SSR as our home resort and love it, no regrets.

On our trip to SSR last week we took a day and toured some of the other DVC resorts and Kidani was one of them. We went to the check in desk and asked if they had a vacant room to show us. The CM couldn’t have been nicer, he took us to a two bedroom and let us go out on the balcony and view the animals on the savanna. I must say we were blown away at how beautiful and close you are to the animals.

The CM also pointed out the library and African art work etc. We liked Kidani so much we will try and book ressies there on our next trip! Who knows, an add on might be in our future!

We usually drive to WDW or if we fly we always rent a car so AKV's location to the Theme Parks has zero impact on whether we would stay there. So I guess you can mark me down as an AKV convert!

When we bought into DVC in June of '08 we did the tour of both SSR and AKV. We just hated how dark the AKV's were and knew immediately we preferred SSR. We did indeed purchase DVC with SSR as our home resort and love it, no regrets.

On our trip to SSR last week we took a day and toured some of the other DVC resorts and Kidani was one of them. We went to the check in desk and asked if they had a vacant room to show us. The CM couldn’t have been nicer, he took us to a two bedroom and let us go out on the balcony and view the animals on the savanna. I must say we were blown away at how beautiful and close you are to the animals.

The CM also pointed out the library and African art work etc. We liked Kidani so much we will try and book ressies there on our next trip! Who knows, an add on might be in our future!

We usually drive to WDW or if we fly we always rent a car so AKV's location to the Theme Parks has zero impact on whether we would stay there. So I guess you can mark me down as an AKV convert!

Interesting that you and others seem to focus on the distance from the parks for AKV. Frankly, when we have stayed there, the bus service has been fantastic! The only place I thought it was difficult and long to get to was DTD. Since I don't really care if I go to DTD, it wasn't a big deal. I always think good bus service gets you to the parks easier, faster, and with less hassle than driving. I guess it's because I absolutely HATE those trams from the parking lot!

Here's my take on AKV. I think most owners are going to get tired of staying there all the time. But I think most DVC members are going to want to stay there at least once, or at the very least won't MIND staying there at least once. I think they built it a little too big, but overall I think it is a good addition.

I don't think that AKV owners will get tired of staying there (but I'm biased since I own at AKV, LOL!). For me personally, Disney opening AKV pushed me to become a DVC member. I just love the immersive theme of the resort, how exotic and different from my everyday life it is, and the entire experience of staying there and watching animals right outside my balcony. I also love the room decor, plus the additional bathroom in the one bedrooms at Kidani. So while I'm glad that DVC has many resorts to choose from, and I would like to try them all over time, most of the time I want to be at AKV. :)

I really didn't like the rooms in AKV. They were kind of depressing and dark to me BUT I would stay there just to see what it's like. I am not going to knock the place until I try it out.

I really didn't like the rooms in AKV. They were kind of depressing and dark to me BUT I would stay there just to see what it's like. I am not going to knock the place until I try it out.

We are owners of AKV and have stayed there several times already. While I HATED the dark decor in the bathrooms, I wouldn't say it was at all depressing. The biggest problem for me was that I couldn't see in the bathroom. Too little light, too dark paint, and too high a cabinet that I couldn't get myself close enough to.;) Of course, I'm old, and I need to get up close to see without my glasses!:rotfl: I loved the detailing of the decor and the theme though. Just not at all fond of those long hallways. The view of the savanna though, makes up for all of it!:thumbsup2

We just returned a week ago from our first trip home to Kidani. We actually had a split stay between SSR (5 nights) and Kidani (4 nights). We bought in without visiting any DVC resorts. All I can say is we LOVED Kidani. We can't wait to go back!

Our stay at SSR was o.k., but we were not impressed with the dirty worn out carpet and the bed/bath layout (we had a 1 bedroom). There's no privacy. Also, the 1 bedroom at Kidani is sooo much larger. I know it's only about 100 sq ft bigger but it seems a lot larger than that. We are a family of 5 and used the pull out chair and sofa at Kidani and SSR. SSR pullout - very uncomfortable and no room to walk from kitchen to living area once opened. At Kidani, we had the chair and pull out sofa opened - tons of room and extremely comforable. Kidani has 2 bathrooms - SSR - 1. Also the bed/bath layout at Kidani - very nice, beautifully decorated, lots of space and private.

I agree the outside isn't as nice, but the lobby area outside is beautiful - my kids loved the laterns built into the wall. The lobby itself is on the smaller side, but very classy and the CMs were all very helpful and friendly. I don't see why they would change the check in from here to Jambo and Dean mentioned.

My kids loved the pool - especially the 128ft slide. The interactive play area was also wonderful for my 4 & 6 year olds. They played here for a long time.

As far as the garage goes, we thought the names were adorable - it's just a parking garage. The names also carry through to the elevators. Also, nice to have car parked out of the sun on hot days - we particularly liked that.

I should also mention, even though we had a car we did use Disney busses as well. We had no complaints - never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus @ Kidani.

Overall, we loved it. What's inside is what matters most to us and we were extremely happy and proud to call Kidani our home. I don't think we will ever stay in a 1 bedroom again that doesn't have the 2 bath layout.

We are owners of AKV and have stayed there several times already. While I HATED the dark decor in the bathrooms, I wouldn't say it was at all depressing. The biggest problem for me was that I couldn't see in the bathroom. Too little light, too dark paint, and too high a cabinet that I couldn't get myself close enough to.;) Of course, I'm old, and I need to get up close to see without my glasses!:rotfl: I loved the detailing of the decor and the theme though. Just not at all fond of those long hallways. The view of the savanna though, makes up for all of it!:thumbsup2

I would still like to try it out there. I would love to see the animals! The theme does seem to be done really well. Lots of details. I think I just like how bright BLT was. Plus cheaper maintenance fees. :rotfl: AKV will be on my list of places to stay though.

thanks for all the info. we will be staying at AKV in late Sept. Can anyone tell me if there is a place to fill the mugs with coffee?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter