Impressions and Pictures, mostly Food & Wine (Oct 23-30, 2011) - UPDATED Feb 6, 2012

Applauding the kitchen staff

p520759194-4.jpg

Ellen, The Chef on the far left is Francesco Santin, the Chef de Cuisine at Bistro and for the French Regional Lunches. Francesco was a sous-chef at Bocuse's in Lyon. As you know, Chef Eric is now the Operations Manager for all the France Pavilion in Epcot.

Ellen, The Chef on the far left is Francesco Santin, the Chef de Cuisine at Bistro and for the French Regional Lunches. Francesco was a sous-chef at Bocuse's in Lyon. As you know, Chef Eric is now the Operations Manager for all the France Pavilion in Epcot.
Actually, I am not as close to the whole chef-thing as I might like to be - and your commentary advanced my knowledge and understanding. Thanks

I am definitely adding Bistro to my upcoming "Table for One" series in December - stay tuned!!

Always, visually stunning reviews from you! I am so glad you included that picture of the wine glasses with Bay Lake Tower in the background, the light on the wine is very pretty! The food looks great too.

..... with a couple of quick rides in the mists of the Himalayas

p720302835-3.jpg

p265077977-3.jpg

p1003134365-3.jpg

p25661409-3.jpg

.. out there

p520030523-3.jpg

...was a dead end

p230831292-3.jpg

.....and a yeti

p337971726-3.jpg

passing through the jungle

p1019252308-4.jpg

.... of course, there was paperwork, followed by donning this vest-harness

p1066808064-3.jpg

... followed by a practice run across a rope bridge

p997224464-4.jpg

Sidebar - I was comfortable jogging across this bridge - balance, space, conditioning - all good. HOWEVER, when it came time to cross a similar bridge later, I was too distracted by looking at the animals and taking pictures to watch my footing. My own fault, for sure - but I, and my bruised shins, now agree with the early reports on this tour that safety should trump verisimilitude in these designs.

The tour occurs in areas within the park - that is, viewing areas that everyone has access to - and what I'll call "slightly-behind-the scenes." I have been on the backstage tour at AK, and it is very interesting, but it is exactly that - you are walking through working areas where the animals are cared for. This tour is "designed" to pretty much be all "onstage," much of it available only to those who take the tour. It was novel (for me), in that they designed and built areas specifically for this tour that enhance the AK experience without ever, technically, going backstage. You are in well-designed, thematically-extended, experience exclusive to the tours.

First stop, the hippo pool (park view)

p722084860-4.jpg

...followed by a short walk through the jungle to a viewing area that is open, above the hippo pool, secured by your harness from being able to fall in. Guides provide commentary and Q&A about the animals. You have time to take pictures and ask questions.

Harness apparatus, and guide

p905395463-4.jpg

Alpha hippo behavior

p733495781-4.jpg

Hippo in pool, from above

p855503798-4.jpg

... another guest walking across bridge

p686146388-4.jpg

There are "artifacts" lying about (strategically placed, for discussion) - on the left, a crocodile jaw, on the right, a hippo jaw..

p778760997-4.jpg

Sidebar - there were 2 tour guides for a party size up to 12 (we had 6). For the first half, one guide leads and talks, the other follows and takes pictures. They switch midway. Tour include photo CD - shots from your tour, best of shots from all tours and legal agreement. We probably got our CD, but no one can find it. I had requested a replacement and will share the professionals pictures when I have them.

... from above

p856630690-4.jpg

... from the side

p595405199-4.jpg

p923662858-4.jpg

... as seen from behind this fence

p703613590-4.jpg

At this point, we discarded our harnesses and boarded a custom safari van

p775543389-4.jpg

... which followed the same, main trail as the general park's safari ride, but pulled over into side parking areas to have extended time to watch, photograph and learn about the animals, while watching the regular safari rides zipping by.

p1019991253-4.jpg

Getting a photo of a giraffe's tongue while eating is not something I've been able to do from a moving safari ride

p691264140-4.jpg

followed by the elephants (photo on earlier post)

Lunch was a total, pleasant surprise for us. We were kind of expecting a granola bar (like the true, backstage tour).

First, the food - was supplied by Tusker House, and included
- 2 large tandoori shrimp
- red pepper humus, pita
- salmon roll
- curry chicken
- proscuitto, bresceola
- fruit
- unlimited, cold fruit juice (outstanding)
Lunch was served in these camp containers; the water bottles were a souvenier of the tour.

p813806446-4.jpg

p559602357-4.jpg

p860689661-4.jpg

Sidebar - it was a picture perfect day. 70 degrees, clear, low humidity, nice breeze. I suspect that late October and November are probably the most predictably pleasant weather to take a tour that is 100% outdoors, and enjoy it to the max.

We sat in a large, open platform (with very nice bathrooms), relaxing and enjoying lunch while watching the tours, animals and breeze go by

p764076866-4.jpg

After lunch, we boarded the van

p556355563-4.jpg

Saw some more of the savanna

p1002571840-4.jpg

Had the guide take our mother-son picture (in case we never got the CD...)

p1024608461-4.jpg

...more animals

p1023923212-4.jpg

...the lion, napping (top of his mane, right of center)

p614275681-4.jpg

... rhinos

p877627130-4.jpg

... and, because I am traveling DS, we must taste African beer at the Dawa bar (where the tour originates and terminates)

p659528100-4.jpg

p789786197-4.jpg

...and that concludes the picture portion of the Wild Africa Trek. Questions?

Were the macarons at Cali Grill house made? How were they?

I love the photo of the Giraffe eating where you can see his tongue! Great photos Ellen, thanks so much for sharing!

Ceviche Verde
Scallops marinated in salsa verde, served with avocado and crispy shredded carrot.​
Paired with Milagro Select Barrel Silver Tequila

p573659298-4.jpg

Sope de Chilorio and Empanada
Chile ancho marinated shredded pork and black beans over a sope, Empanada stuffed with traditional Mexican cheesem, topped with cream and salsa verde​
Paired with Centenario Reposdao Tequila

p629893510-4.jpg

Grilled Tilapia and Pork in Mole Negro
Adobo marinated tilapia over grilled vegetables. Pork with home-made mole negro sauce over esquites (roasted corn)​
Paired with Chinaco Anejo Tequila

p962351135-4.jpg

Chef Alphonso

p909753766-4.jpg

... and the service team

p868328164-4.jpg

Dessert - Tamal de Dulce

Sweet tamal filled with guava, topped with strawberry coulis​
Paired with Agavero Tequila Liquor

p952960274-4.jpg

Thanks for posting the tequila lunch pics. We thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the ceviche verde and the empanada.:cloud9:

One of DS23's fears, in his pre-evaluation of the kiosk offerings, was that the "craft beers" would be, not just boring, but worse than what we consume at home, with dinner. He was pleasantly surprised by Germany and Canada.

Here, evaluating the German brews...

p722529591-4.jpg

The only other brews that excited us were the Unibroue offerings in Canada. You had to kind of walk around to the left of the Moosehead / Labatt taps and "discover" them. To add to the thrill even more, DS23 determined in something less than a millisecond that the brew that costs him $9 for 10 oz locally (and we couldn't be closer to Canada-the-country), cost $8 for 16 oz in Epcot (and no tipping). I taught him "value for the dollar" well, and am reaping the benefits!

We agreed that, if Unibroue became "permanent" (please, please, please), we would definitely find ourselves in the UK-Canada around 3 pm, and alternate between the new British Revolution and Off Kilter, while refilling our Unibroue's, until Illuminations. These pavilions have never been a must-do-destination for us before, but our whole world could be shifting......

On the British Revolution - we also agreed that, much as we enjoyed the British Invasion, this band has some advantages:
- generally better vocals
- generally better instrumentally
- much better (expanded) set list, which includes a much longer period of time and much broader styles of music (Beatles, Zeppelin, Clapton, Elton John, Herman's Hermits, etc). We hope their set list just keeps expanding, because there were repeaters in the 5 sets we watched.
Suggestion for Disney: Now that you have a band this good, doing more complex music than just the Beatles, it is time to enhance the sound system so that the quality of the band can be heard without so much blatant distortion, especially the voices. The sound is pretty perfect at the American Garden Theatre. I hope an upgrade is in the 2012 budget for UK.

I suspect adding Ireland as an permanent, informal pavilion-kiosk somewhere between / around UK and Canada would pretty much change the whole dynamic (traffic flow, destination) of Epcot forever. How do I know - two logical observations:
- the Irish diaspora (there's a lot of Irish-Americans and Irish-Canadians around, and we have "arrived," with our education and discretionary cash in hand, and a slight predilection for beer )
- the fact that, for the first time ever, I found myself in a Disney bathroom-stall with NO toilet paper - in the UK pavilion. For Disney to not be able to keep up with something so fundamental to their mission - well, that's a LOT of beer being sold, consumed, and recycled. Who needs marketing data, when you have "facts" like that?

Zuccine Ala Parmigiana
Zucchini Parmesan, Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil​
Serprine, Montegrande
Wine Notes: volcanic rock, straw acidity, small amount of bubbles​

p144267919.jpg

Risotto All'Aragosta e Rosmarino "Vecchia Romagna"
Carnaroli rice, Lobster, Rosemary, Italian Brandy​
Pinot Bianco, Montegrande
Wine Notes: genetic mutation of Pinot Noir, similar to Chardonnay; grown at foot of hill; goes with complex dishes​

p175571200-3.jpg

Filetto Di Vitello A limone
Veal medallions, Potatoes, Capres, Lemon butter source​
Cabernet, Montegraned
Wine Notes: Cabernet Franc and sauvignon; blackberry; terrior​

p87536789-3.jpg

Cannoli
Crisp pastry filled with sweet ricotta, Chocolate, Candied orange​
Rosa Regale

p219962467.jpg

I don't know much of anything about this group, except that they were popular when I was far too busy to listen to (dare I say) the RADIO.

That said, I really enjoyed the music, the talent, the performance. They said they were celebrating the 20th anniversary of their first album.

I have a self-imposed, informal rule - that I must post my unposted VnA pictures before my next VnA meal. I'm going to have to get very busy, as that is less than a week away....

I don't have many pictures of the "gathering," as my flight arrived at 3:30, and dinner was at 6. I know we took the ME to SSR, checked in - and then I think to walked (briskly) to DTD and took the bus to the GF and just about flew through the lobby to the restaurant. Shortly after taking my coat and providing a glass of champagne, we moved into the dining room, where Israel provided introductions....

p112121670-4.jpg

Far left = Fiorenzo Dogliani, THE representative of the Dogliani Family - Batasiolo Vineyards
Second from left - Richard Martin, who works for the Dogliani Family, and Fiorenzo's translator
Next - Israel Perez, Maitre d'Hotel, for those who have not yet been to VnA
Far Right - Chef Erich Herbitschek, Pastry Chef for VnA
Missing - Chef Scott Hunnel, Chef de Cuisine, who could not attend

The wines were remarkable on many levels, not the least of which was, the glass magically refilled all night. Fortunately, we had 6 hours to enjoy them!!

Israel's lovely ladies, capably and graciously managing the front of the house that night.

p263123672-3.jpg

Chef Erich - in all the years (all 3 of them) that I've been enjoying his handiwork, I have never met Chef Erich. I took his picture so that I would be able to recognize him around the gingerbread house in December....

p330749154-3.jpg

Entrance, with truffle display

p3178035-4.jpg

.... more to come ... must go for my walk now, before it gets much later (and I become inert)

So much for self-imposed "rules" (more like guidelines, really.....)!! Well, the interruption was for a good cause, including Disney in December, first cruise on the Dream (dinner at Palo's and Remy's, with pictures of course, but that is another thread...).
========================
Lovely bouquets of red roses, and my handy souvenir-reference menu (which is opened beside me here).

p1014626596-3.jpg

Ricardo, charming bon-vivant, went out of his way all evening to make sure everyone was having fun!

p1016306646-4.jpg

Ricardo offering a toast for Fiorenzo in the Queen Victoria room. Not the best picture I've ever taken, but included because it conveys a sense of place and how the evening unfolds....

p961658076-3.jpg

..... which was enjoyed by all

p218600023-4.jpg

Israel, on one of his "rounds," explaining something about the meal that I have not retained. Alas!

p1036977746-4.jpg

Chef Erich's first delights of the night - the breadsticks were some Italian tradition

p774700881-4.jpg

Amuse-Bouche
- Chicken Liver Terrine
- Prosciutto-wrapped Shrimp and Yellow Tomato Gazpacho
- Porcini Mushroom-Cappuccino Soup with Truffle Dust and Porcini Crouton
- Truffle Aoili Lobster Salad Timbale with Siberian Caviar

Metodo Classico Brut, La Morra, Millesime 2006

Chicken Liver

p10138749-4.jpg

Shrimp

p116717930-4.jpg

Lobster Salad

p429039410-4.jpg

Shrimp, Liver, Soup

p466692278-4.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter