Impressions and Pictures, mostly Food & Wine (Oct 23-30, 2011) - UPDATED Feb 6, 2012

Cold-Smoked and Seared Bison Carpaccio with Truffle Vinaigrette
Gavi del Comune di DOCG 2009​

p21912495-4.jpg

Truffle Polenta with Soft-Poached Poulet Egg, Taleggio Drizzle, and Arugula Salad
Langhe DOC Chardonnay, Morino Vineyard 2008

p402315927-4.jpg

... and, "in context"

p836962650-4.jpg

Langoustine Cioppino with Black Grouper, Mussels, Artichokes, and Fennel-Tomato Nage
Bofani, Single Vineyard Barolo, Monforte d'Alba 2004

p514019145-4.jpg

Between courses, Fiorenzo would explain the wine pairings...

p367868186-4.jpg

... Ricardo would crack up the room

p33171066-4.jpg

... and Pam, from the wine team (she was also present at some cooking demos and sat at our table), on standby for comments

p73839525-4.jpg

Diver Scallop with Wagyu Short Ribs, Parsnip-Potato Puree, and Oxtail-Truffle Jus

Boscareto, Single Vineyard Barolo, Serralunga d'Alba Hillsides 2004

p1017516876-4.jpg

Elk Tenderloin with House-made Gnocchi and Parmesan-Butter Broth
Cerequio, Single Vineyard Barolo, La Morra 2004

See those truffles? (Thanks Ricardo!)

p980370827-4.jpg

No more truffles!!! But in this shot, you get to see the quality of the meat!

p45624167-4.jpg

Veal Tenderloin, Cheeks, and Sweetbreads with Natural Jus
Corda Della Briccolina, Single Vineyard Barolo, Serralunga d'Alba 2006

p909191323-4.jpg

I don't think I have ever been served a "course" in a restaurant where the flowers were changed to co-ordinate with the colors in the dessert dishes to follow. I loved the colors.

p291629338-4.jpg

Gorgonzola-baked Pear and Italian Truffle Cheese with Mostarda Di Cremoni
Batasiolo Sovrana, Barbers d'Alba 2008

p428449291-4.jpg

At this point, I am barely remembering to take any pictures at all!!

Israel, makjng the rounds...

p124457951-4.jpg

Green Apple Baba with Sour Cream Ice Cream
Bosc Dla Rei Moscato D'Asti 2010

The Big Picture

p828126190-4.jpg

Close-up

p565974742-4.jpg

Hand-crafted Piedmont Truffle Tree

A dessert so beautiful, it blended with the flowers and looks like art. The truffles were amazing. I have no idea if the tree was edible (probably) because, at this point, it was midnight!!! I don't know how many Chef Erich produced, but this was just for my end of the table!

p556790962-4.jpg

Of course, I am always thinking about
- would I do this again - why - under what circumstances?
- would I recommend this to a friend - and why?

When I registered for this dinner, my thought process was
- We may never pass this way again
- Try it once and evaluate from there

I thought, for sure, that once would be enough, but now, I am not so sure. In a lot of ways, this dinner was "at least double" a "normal" VnA main dining room dinner with a wine pairing (and TiW discount).
- It lasted more than twice as long (6 hours+)
- It cost about twice as much (tax and gratuity were included in stated price)
- There were about twice as many dishes (Amuse +9, instead of Amuse +5)
- All dishes contained white truffles, some contained ingredients normally on the "additional cost" menu, such as Wagyu beef and caviar
- There were about twice as many wines (Champagne +8 or +9 - not sure, instead of Champagne +5)
- While I have always been very satisfied with my wine pairings at VnA, and I have no idea of the material value of the Dogliani wines, they were all great (4 "single vineyards" alone)
- Bottomless Glass (with enough time to enjoy / consume and not leave the restaurant in an uncomfortable state - see first bullet)
- Education - I enjoy the opportunity to learn - and really enjoyed the "eat some, learn some" pace of the meal.

In conclusion

- Yes, I would do this again
- Yes, I would recommend it

Israel - what is the planned date for 2012? I'll start saving now!!! More importantly, I will reserve my DVC accommodation now (which is the most scare component of planning a F&W visit next to securing the reservation for dinner itself)

Looks like a really amazing experience! I love that beautiful truffle tree!

Thanks for sharing Ellen!

Ellen, just found your reviews, they are wonderful! Very impressed with your ability to take such good pictures at the END of your V&A and CA Grill meals. DH is the our photographer, I will be sure and show him your thread.

We attended the Alsace luncheon on the 30th, and then the Champagne luncheon later in the week. Absolutely loved the Champagne luncheon, as did Dh who is not normally a sparkling wine fan.

Would love to hear your overall impression of the California Grill dinner. Looks like a huge amount of food. Were they generous with the wine? The wines really interest me, will have to look for some of those. Have not tried any Etude wines.

The AK tour is on the must list now, thanks for the review.

First - thank you all, for joining. I am usually zipping through postings in one sort of hurry or another, and don't spend nearly enough time responding to questions and comments.

As for the Macaroons (CaliGrill Friandees) - I don't know if they were house-made - I would assume so. The tough part of being the pastry chef at any of these dinners is that people are SO FULL by the time the treats arrive, that they tend not to be savored, if consumed at all. Pretty sure we took these back to the room and enjoyed them for (with?) breakfast the next morning, but I cannot remember my thoughts on each of the elements.

Regarding the CaliGrill wine-pour - I honestly don't recall, but can ask my son. I tend not to finish a given glass before the next one is poured, so it wouldn't be as obvious to me as it would be to him. It is also possible that the Dogliani wines were just so good that, for a change, I DID finish glasses, hence noticing the refill. (pretty sure that last statement is true!)

All I can say about the picture taking, is that I am lucky I remembered to take any at all after the first few courses!! I literally had only one or two per dish - of course I usually only take 2 or 3 because I don't want to turn a meal into a photography distraction for myself or the others (and they always have a professional photographer at most events - I saw him so much we got on a first name basis!).

Where in the Frunch were you sitting? I try not to take / post pictures of people who don't want to be on the internet (probably all of us, but that is officially "history" at this point), but I do have some "faces in the crowd" that are coincident with taking pictures of the event itself. Let me know!

Many more pictures to come - just have to reserve the time to do it!

I had started the morning at DS, followed by a quick walk to Epcot around 10. The morning was perfect, weather-wise, for a walk - 70's sunny, low humidity.

Swolphin from the path behind BWV

p317944492-4.jpg

Beach Club, from the bridge

p317178235-4.jpg

=========================================

When it comes to the kiosks, I had no specific plan, like (a) try one of everything or (b) have a list of "must do" items and check them off or even (c) make sure you hit the top ten from the disboard review (which would make sense). I have virtually no history of personal experience to guide me either, so this was a learning year.

Breakfast in Ireland
Kerrygold Cheese Selection (Aged Irish Cheddar, Dubliner and Ivernia Cheese) with Apple Chutney and Brown Bread​

p521487874-4.jpg

Thoughts / Comments:
- this suited me well for breakfast
- I liked the components (although I've had all the cheeses before, from Wegmans)
- particularly liked the chutney - reminded me of the spices in Mince Pie that my mom makes for Christmas
- worked best with a little nibble from bread-cheese-chutney at same time
- price = $3.50
- decent value for the dollar
- what, if changed, would have been even better? a second slice of bread - then there would have been enough for the amount of cheese and chutney - but that is merely a suggestion and not a complaint

Second breakfast in Belgium

Steamed Mussels with Roasted Garlic Cream and a Baguette​

p250596541-3.jpg

Thoughts / Comments:

- good value for the dollar ($3.75)
- mussels in a restaurant can be borderline, this was way better than I was expecting from a kiosk
- that said, I cannot speak for quality / consistency over the course of the day - this was early in the WS "day"

First Lunch - France

Escargots Persillade en Brioche
(Snails in Garlic and Parsley Brioche)
Parisian Cosmo Slush (Ciroc Vodka, Grand Marnier, and Cranberry Juice)

p499196836-4.jpg

Thoughts / Comments
- Escargot = $4.95; Cosmo = $8.50
- Both enjoyed and worthy of repeating and recommendation

I'm thinking you were at the Alsace Frunch on the 28th, and we were there on the 30th, so I doubt you have our picture!

Definite thumbs up on the Parisian Cosmo slushy!

Going back to read your report again, did not notice Dogliani.

Resuming this post / thread so that my travel buddies for October 2012 can get a visual idea of what some of their options might be!

Our tour begins with the iconic images and theme of the 2011 festival - Passport of Flavors - in front of the geosphere...

p324157541-4.jpg

and the Festival Center (formerly "Wonders of Life")

p330269899-4.jpg

where we had our first F&S event food and wine pairing - ever!

Roast Beef Tenderloin with Cranberry Red Wine Sauce and Edamame and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Infused Cous Cous
...presented by TJ Sudiswa (GF Resort & Spa)

Accompanied by Purple Wine Avalon Napa Cabernet
... from the Purple Wine Co, California

.. in this shot, you can see the recipe / event information (center), the wine pouring (you can still see the legs/tears on the side of the glass) and, front and center, my vacation planning worksheet

p790379841-4.jpg

Here, a CM distributes little gifts of infused oil to the guests...

p686245350-4.jpg

... which I actually used, cooking at home a couple of weeks later

TJ (left) is cranking up the crowd; the gentleman on the right functioned as MC

p831321305-4.jpg

... after which TJ demonstrated food preparations while the MC and wine rep looked on

p1039435352-4.jpg

A sample of the dish served to each of us

p909490688-4.jpg

... followed by a little, unexpected, dessert

p769339839-4.jpg

... and concluding with Chef thanking his team

p990552464-4.jpg

This was my first such event and I was pleasantly surprised:
- the wait was pleasant (not jostling line)
- the event professionally executed (no hiccups)
- it was entertaining and educational
- I had no previous history of participating in such an event for free (prior years), so I was not off put by the modest $10 charge ($8 if I had been willing to jump through a few more hoops for discount)
- I find the company (strangers you sit with at the table) generally very convivial
- I will definitely be doing this type of event again.

The infamous Cranberry Bog, with the CM Bog-guy (left side of bog) explaining everything you might want to know about cranberries

p409362798-4.jpg

Headed back to Festival Center the next day for another Culinary Demo, snapping this standard / classic along the way (one of the better attraction signs, I think) - Universe of Energy....

p485715458-4.jpg

The Brazil kiosk, in passing, in context of the park

p286726236-4.jpg

A brief stop at the Argentina kiosk, where we sampled
Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Puree
... and Terrazas Reserva Torrontes

p43932955-4.jpg

which we took over to a conveniently place table

p330399552-4.jpg

We always stop to listen to the Mariachi Band, in their "new" performance space...

p307707103-4.jpg

Finally, settled in at the demo.....

Gingered Duck Confit, Port Wine infused Cipollini Onions over a Brown butter and Rosemary Crouton
... presented by Russell Palmer (Hollywood Brown Derby, Disney's Hollywood Studios)

Spice Route Winery, South Africa
... Spice Route Pinotage​

Chef Russel explaining the preparations

p58687670-4.jpg

The dish....

p533947843-4.jpg

From my rare collection of notes...
- Garnish = microgreens braised leeks
- Drizzle port sauce and brown butter on plate
- You can order duck fat online, it stores forever (or, if you live near a Wegmans, they carry it in the meat section) - can be used a couple of times, if strained
- I you don't want to eat, or pay the price, you could watch from outside the official "space," sitting on benches, watching on large screen

My summary thought - between the wine, quality of food sample, table, service, learning, etc. I preferred this experience to straight up kiosk grazing - not that they are mutually exclusive.

There's a lot to be said for Epcot this time of year.....

The signage...

p520370831-4.jpg

The foliage.....

p130408206-4.jpg

p1013347649-4.jpg

Observing the special F&W elements in the train exhibition in Germany, including the cranberry bog, and small scale kiosks (white one = Greece)

p326253039-4.jpg

The Jammitors, with their F&W-themed instruments..

p746563326-4.jpg

Finally, the kiosks not already mentioned, working from a combination of receipts, the passport book and pictures ...

China
Black Pepper Shrimp with Sichuan Noodles - DH bought and consumed this

Italy
Limoncello - "Italian Martguerita" - tasted a lot like the palate cleanser at Palo - a lot of lemon flavor for one drink!

p13082101-3.jpg

New Zealand
Seared Sea Scallop with Kumara-Red Curry Puree and Apple Radish Salad (my notes = pretty good for kiosk food, scallop not overcooked)
Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc​
(my notes, good citrus, grass; not worth looking up in a store)

p204400204-3.jpg

Mexico
Shrimp Taco
Tacos de Ribeye

Canada
Unibroue Ephemere Draft (multiple times)
Unibroue Trois Pistole (multiple times)

Germany
Rauchweizen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter