• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm curious...

It would normally be fine if my child was alone on the bus with a male or female driver. UNLESS there were some reason the bus driver made me or my child uncomfortable. :confused3

Exactly. Unless there is some reason not to trust him, I would have no problem with it. My kids' male bus driver was the nicest driver we've ever had and I'd be completely comfortable. If the driver seemed "off" in some way or acted odd, then maybe there'd be some concern.

I guess there's a 50/50 chance of this happening on any of our buses in the morning and afternoon. Someone has to be first/last, and they may be the only child at the bus stop.

Somebody has to be first on last off. No, I would not have a problem with this.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, unless like others said my child was uncomfortable with that particular bus driver for a certain reason.

I would not be concerned at all.

School bus? No. Public bus? Probably would worry a little regardless of the sex of the driver, but not BECAUSE of the driver.

School bus? No. Public bus? Probably would worry a little regardless of the sex of the driver, but not BECAUSE of the driver.

I've gotta ask - then why? I mean if not because of the driver on a regular bus, with no one else on the bus, what would there even be to be concerned about?

I've gotta ask - then why? I mean if not because of the driver on a regular bus, with no one else on the bus, what would there even be to be concerned about?

The other people who MIGHT get on the bus since it's a public bus. But yeah, if I knew there was no chance of that, I'd treat it just like the school bus.

The other people who MIGHT get on the bus since it's a public bus. But yeah, if I knew there was no chance of that, I'd treat it just like the school bus.

Well if your kid is riding the public bus, your kid is riding the public bus you know? I'd expect there to be people!

Well if your kid is riding the public bus, your kid is riding the public bus you know? I'd expect there to be people!

Well, the assumption about the child being alone save for the driver could theoretically work like this:

Mom puts kid on bus at Stop A after seeing the bus is empty. Dad is waiting for kid at very next stop. But, I'd still not be as comfortable in that situation as I would with the school bus scenario. Not that I'd actually choose such a mode of transport for my kid :lmao:

You know, that's a valid question and one that I've had concerns about before myself. The only thing was that it was my husband driving the bus. While he was still teaching in the classroom (in admin now), he drove a school bus for extra income.

I had concerns about his having to be alone on the bus with any student. In this day and age, you never know what you can be accused of - particularly when you are in authority and sometimes have to discipline students (in a world where more and more people have major issues with following any kind of rules).

I know someone personally who took up a student's cell phone that was going off in class (their school had a policy prohibiting phones at school). The parent called and wanted the phone back. When told they had to pay a fine per school board rules since this was the child's third time as stated in the student handbook, they hung up but called back literally 90 seconds later accusing the individual of molesting their child. I kid you not. Fortuately, that school has cameras everywhere, and the accusation didn't go anywhere.

My husband was very, very happy when he quit driving a bus. I don't guess this is exactly what the OP meant, but there are two sides to everything.

(No disrespect meant, OP.)

I don't usually consider myself an overprotective parent so I'm wondering others opinions. Would you be comfortable with your 12 1/2 year old daughter traveling about 4-5 minutes alone on a bus with a male bus driver?

5 minutes? That's all? Total????

Not every man wants to molest a child. As a matter of fact, most of them don't.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!! You seem to be condemning before anything has even happened! Unless something has happened you haven't told us what are you basing your concerns on? The fact that he's male? Her father's male. Are you worried about leaving her with him for 5 minutes? Her Uncles? Grandfathers? Bus drivers don't have time and are well investigated prior to hiring so there's no reason to worry about your daughter

It would depend on the driver. We seem to have a bumper crop that can't read english (at least not enough to actually be able to follow written directions) and speak it slightly better, so no I wouldn't be comfortable with it. If there was a problem, I don't feel confident he'd understand what she said.

Now if it were good ol' Mr. Sly (the BEST bus driver on earth), no problem. Even Mr. Muhammed would be okay, he was a little scary at first, but after you got used to him, he was ok. :goodvibes

I would not have a problem with it at all unless my daughter came home and told me that she felt uncomfortable or uneasy around him. No way would I put my child on a bus if she felt uneasy about the bus driver. For her to feel that way, she would have to have a reason such as something he said or did that she felt was inappropriate.

You know, that's a valid question and one that I've had concerns about before myself. The only thing was that it was my husband driving the bus. While he was still teaching in the classroom (in admin now), he drove a school bus for extra income.

I had concerns about his having to be alone on the bus with any student. In this day and age, you never know what you can be accused of - particularly when you are in authority and sometimes have to discipline students (in a world where more and more people have major issues with following any kind of rules).

I know someone personally who took up a student's cell phone that was going off in class (the school had a policy prohibiting phones at school). The parent called and wanted the phone back. When told no, they hung up but called back literally 90 seconds later accusing the individual of molesting their child. I kid you not. Fortuately, that school has cameras everywhere, and the accusation didn't go anywhere.

My husband was very, very happy when he quit driving a bus. I don't guess this is exactly what the OP meant, but there are two sides to everything.

(No disrespect meant, OP.)

Interesting twist. Yeah, I as a grown man wouldn't want to be alone with a stranger's child (particularly a daughter) in this day & age any longer than I had to.

I guess I would need more information. I know my daughter in 6th grade after riding the activity bus home once never wanted to ride it again (she had to a couple of times but hated it) because the driver gave her a hard time about having to come across town. I THINK he was joking but even if he was, it bugged DD. They have since started 2 busses (1 for the east side of town & 1 for the west side of town) but back then it was 1 bus that went everywhere right after school and it did take a LONG time to get everyone home. It would be possible she was the only one that had to ride it across town.

In her case, it had nothing to do with the fact that the driver was male but more the fact that she felt he didn't want to drive across town & would give her a hard time about it.

I have no idea if my boys are riding alone with a female driver as I have a 7th grader now who takes the activity bus every couple of weeks home.

Interesting spin with the adults but I completely understand it! I was a stay at home mom for a while & needed extra income...everyone said to babysit and there is no way I would babysit anyone! I mean my kids tend to get bumps & bruises on their own and manage to get injured -- it seems people automatically jump to the worst case scenerios for everything now.

Well, the assumption about the child being alone save for the driver could theoretically work like this:

Mom puts kid on bus at Stop A after seeing the bus is empty. Dad is waiting for kid at very next stop. But, I'd still not be as comfortable in that situation as I would with the school bus scenario. Not that I'd actually choose such a mode of transport for my kid :lmao:

It didn't even occur to me in that way (one parent putting the kid on the bus, etc.), as the kid in question was like 12. Just what you're used to.

This reminded me of another board on which people got all flipped out when a 12- or 13-year-old on a Real Housewives of NY show grabbed a cab by herself to go home because her mother wanted to go to another party and she didn't. The NYers on that board were like :confused3 when ppl were freaked out. It was like hey, she was nice and gave her cab fare, could've just told her to take the bus or train.

I dont know that I would be so comfortable with it. I guess everyone has different trust issues and I can honestly say there is a reason I have mine. I do the best I can to not put my DD or DS in a position where anything could happen but it is completly impossible to do. I have always done my best to educate them but at any time any stranger, friend or even family member could make an inappropraite move. No parent knows if their child would speak up and tell them if any thing has happened even if we ask them. This is a parents worse nightmare. A few months ago I saw on the news there was a busdriver, to be exact it was a van..... I cant remember if it was handicap, that passed up a students stop and drove to a dirt road he was just getting in the seat with the student. The girls father saw the driver pass their house acted quickly and apparently caught up to the van and got there prior to anything happening.
You never know who to trust and if you have a bad feeling or are just down right uncomfortable then you have the right to be, our children are precious.

I dont know that I would be so comfortable with it. I guess everyone has different trust issues and I can honestly say there is a reason I have mine. I do the best I can to not put my DD or DS in a position where anything could happen but it is completly impossible to do. I have always done my best to educate them but at any time any stranger, friend or even family member could make an inappropraite move. No parent knows if their child would speak up and tell them if any thing has happened even if we ask them. This is a parents worse nightmare. A few months ago I saw on the news there was a busdriver, to be exact it was a van..... I cant remember if it was handicap, that passed up a students stop and drove to a dirt road he was just getting in the seat with the student. The girls father saw the driver pass their house acted quickly and apparently caught up to the van and got there prior to anything happening.
You never know who to trust and if you have a bad feeling or are just down right uncomfortable then you have the right to be, our children are precious.

Well, yes, things can always happen, but we can't raise our children for the one in one million chance of something going wrong. I mean, I know someone who was partially paralyzed by falling down some stairs. Does that mean I won't let my kids go down stairs? That's just crazy.

I'm probably biased bc I was riding the school bus at 5, and public buses- alone- by 13 for sure (in the Bronx no less!) By definition, doesn't someone always have to be last off? And first on? If you were that family, what would you do? Drive your kid to the next stop or pick them up one stop early? That would make the whole point of taking the bus moot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter