I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's tough work. My sister (not a kid - a mom) was just diagnosed with a tumor in her brain stem (a glioma?) and whatever kind it is, its more prevalent in kids than adults. Its inoperable, but she's starting radiation and chemo and we're hoping that will give her some time (not that any of the docs have been willing/able to give her a timeline. She was at Dana Farber for a biopsy a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately she can be treated closer to home so she doesn't have to keep flying to Boston or relocate there for treatment. Feeling grateful for the excellent health resources in Boston - and she's was super grateful for the wonderful nurses she encountered during her biopsy and recovery.

I am so sorry to hear this. I lost my cousin (who was my age and more like a sister to me) when we were 23, but that was a glioblastoma, which is just awful. I hope they can help your sister. My dear friend's husband was diagnosed with a brain stem malignant tumor 20 years ago and they said it was a childhood tumor (he wasn't a child) but that they could give him much more radiation than they could a child. It worked and he's still around, cancer free. Sending hugs. :hug:

We are in Minnesota. The colleges she is looking at are 4 year degrees so maybe they are BSN's instead of RN's.

I just looked on their website is shows BS in nursing. Is that what she wants?
It is ADN or BSN...associates degree in nursing or bachelors of science in nursing. They all end up as RNs...registered nurses...meaning they took the exact same licensing exams after graduating, the NCLEX. BSN is the push now. Some really old RNs are diploma prepared but still took the NCLEX for their license as well. Funny thing is you don't make any more money if you do a bachelors vs an associates (at least here), but it is more school at $25k/year or whatever your college charges...and you take the same board exam.

Just a double check...did you spend another $550 to account for that AF after the points posted? I wouldn't let that go - even though it "counted" towards the MSR, make sure you hit the full number without the AF so the AMEX RAT doesn't come after you in the night!! :)

I looked at my statements and was counting the net amount after any returns, credits...and tallied up my statement balances for the two months that I have had the card and it was short about $600. So with only purchases (not credits or AF) I am over about $700, but the net amount is still under $5k by about a few hundred. I am keep using the card so I am not worried about my MR, but I thought the math was a little odd.

I am so sorry to hear this. I lost my cousin (who was my age and more like a sister to me) when we were 23, but that was a glioblastoma, which is just awful. I hope they can help your sister. My dear friend's husband was diagnosed with a brain stem malignant tumor 20 years ago and they said it was a childhood tumor (he wasn't a child) but that they could give him much more radiation than they could a child. It worked and he's still around, cancer free. Sending hugs. :hug:

Thanks very much for the words of encouragement. She starts treatment next week, and we hope she will tolerate treatment well and that it will be effective. Not getting much hope for eradication from the docs, goal seems to just slow it down if possible. Hoping for lots more time with her and best case some improvement in her symptoms. Its a lot to take in.

I have a question- how long did it take from your one purchase to get the MR points on the biz green?

Sorry for the late response (and not a great one at that), but I'm honestly not sure. At that time, work was long hours and stressful and I just did it and didn't worry about it. I did get hte points though!

I think I'd go for the DH referral for CIP--that's what, 85,000 UR after MSR and if DH got a referral bonus even more that you could use for SW RR or some other helpful way to get kids home from college. I'm no Chase expert but I think that's the way I'd lean.

I’d go for DH referring you to CIP. If your unsure about SW biz, then you could lower chase limits and apply for that in 3-4 months while you decide. Do you both need CSRs? I would downgrade one so not paying 2 fees and consider another valuable personal. Maybe Personal (rose) Gold or maybe Hyatt?

Congrats on the promotion !

If you need the SW points and will make use of the CP...I’d suggest applying for the SW business card first.....then a few months later apply for one of the SW personal cards. If your concerned about the number of business cards you could always close the CIC...then apply for the CIP from your husbands referral....a few months after your SW personal card
Or if your not flying SW anytime soon reverse the order CIP..SW business...SW...personal

Since your husband only has one Chase business card maybe have him apply for the CIC or CIU..both get 50,000URs after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months

Thanks for the replies! I thought about it some more and decided to use a referral from DH and apply for the CIP and got an instant approval! i thought for a bit about going for the new SW personal where you get the CP with just that card, but decided against it for myself after reading everyone's thoughts.

So, anyway, thanks again! I'm on my way to another 100,000 UR's (including DH's referral points)!

Staples usually carries $50 Disney GCs in store.

Alternatively, you can do as @amalone1013 suggested, and use the Staples 10% back Amex Offer to take advantage of Staple’s fee-free $200 VGC deal that starts this Sunday, then run those VGCs over to Best Buy to buy Disney Gift Cards, and scanning Swagbucks, $100 per day to maximize a SB return worth $9.50, plus whatever Best Buy rewards depending on your Elite status. Effectively up to ~20% off Disney if you’re comfortable buying VGCs from Staples with your Amex.
Wait I thought Best Buy didn’t allow GC purchase with GC. So VGC to GC is ok?

@1st*toright - I second this. No issues booking one-way award seats with United. We do it all the time.
Not sure about United but for AA it’s often preferable to book one way because flights are released by date. I always book the outgoing flight first then the flight back when it opens later. If I wait some of the cheaper award rates are gone for the outgoing flight by the time the return flight booking opens

My direct deposit hit my new Chase checking account and my Disney debit card came in the mail (not like I will ever use the debit card, but its cute).

Bank accounts were opened on Sunday and the bonus requirements are done in less than a week. Now to wait (im)patiently for the bonuses to post.
Tues (might be afternoon!) should be your day!

That's tough work. My sister (not a kid - a mom) was just diagnosed with a tumor in her brain stem (a glioma?) and whatever kind it is, its more prevalent in kids than adults. Its inoperable, but she's starting radiation and chemo and we're hoping that will give her some time (not that any of the docs have been willing/able to give her a timeline. She was at Dana Farber for a biopsy a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately she can be treated closer to home so she doesn't have to keep flying to Boston or relocate there for treatment. Feeling grateful for the excellent health resources in Boston - and she's was super grateful for the wonderful nurses she encountered during her biopsy and recovery.
I'm so sorry to hear this :hug: I cannot even imagine going through something like this with an adult or child.

Yes. Was talking to a friend with kid and babysitters are getting $20/hr at least around here. I used to get $20 a night.

My dd's don't usually get $20/hr but $15-18/hr is pretty normal. We never used sitters when we only had little kids so I didn't realize how much more babysitters make these days. I was thrilled to make $3-5/hr when I was a teen.
This is why I never use babysitters. Ouch! I think HS kids around here get 15-18 like @wendow’s girls but I have only used my friends daughter and usually just give her $20 for an hour or so.

And my pay hasn't gone up since I graduated back in 2008. I could go back tomorrow and I guarantee they'd offer me the same $30/hour for PRN as I have always gotten...and even less for full time....like $24 or $25 likely. And don't expect time and a half for holidays either. You're lucky if you get an extra $2.:crazy2:
That’s not the case in Chicago. It’s closer to twice that plus shift differential plus time and a half and incentive for holiday. However the hospital I work at is (was? Not sure, we were just bought out) requiring all nurses to have a BSN by 2020 or some future date (I’m not a nurse). What it’s actually doing is encouraging more nurses to move towards being a nurse practitioner and leaving bedside nursing so I think it’s gonna backfire and by 2020, more nurses will be leaving than staying once they have a BSN

I came here just to post that my 100K MR have posted from my Amex Plat. I don't know if I want to :yay: or :sad: that I was able to make spend in only two months. I was shocked that they posted with the $550 in the figure. I thought that didn't count toward MSR.

Sooooo...onto the next!

I know my questions about next card, and downgrading are approximately 1,004,000 pages ago since I asked on Monday, but since is it my 2 year anniversary of my CSR app, does it fall off today, or after statement close? DH also has a CSR. I think I am going to downgrade to the CFU.

Am I at 4/24 or 5/24 or neither:
1/17: CSR
7/17: Disney Visa
3/18: IHG
7/18: CIP
11/18: Amex Plat

Writing all of that out kind of makes me :sad2:, but I know that I am comparing peanuts to lots of others.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer when the CSR will fall off, now or the end of the month, but when it does you will be 3/24. The CIP is a biz card and doesn't count against your numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!