I love credit cards so much!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by FairestOfThemAll37, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albort

Albort ODV Crew

im still sitting here wondering if i should apply... i think i reach the max credit limit chase will offer, but im willing to give up my marriott premier for it atm. waiting for it to hit 1 year(this month), cancel and apply... but dunno how long the 60k link will last... UGH!

Ngwira, miztressuz, wendow and 2 others like this.
  2. PolyRob

PolyRob DIS Veteran

Are you staying on-site? Will you purchase Memory Maker? How many souvenirs do you purchase? Do you consume alcoholic beverages?

An AP will get you potential AP resort rates, free unlimited PhotoPass downloads, and currently 20% in most gift shops. An AP will save you 10% at a lot of TS meals without even having to purchasing TiW. If you have signature meals, character buffets, and drink alcohol, TiW will probably work in your favor. Some resort QS like Landscape of Flavors (AoA) and park QS like Flame Tree BBQ (AK) will also take TiW. Just note that TiW will not work on special packages like the Fantasmic! dinner package or Rivers of Light dinner package.

I have always broken even and saved additional money by having TiW.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. afan

afan DIS Veteran

I'm waiting to get 4/24 when my hyatt falls off in April so I can get another UR card just to transfer to Hyatt. I'm glad I got the AS personal again for the miles, especially since they just made it unchurnable, but it put me at 5/24 for a bit. But I think once I get one chase biz I'll move on to others and work on MR's and hilton.

5. DrFacilier

DrFacilier Mouseketeer

It might be worth it to upgrade but you’ll have to check the math. What is the price difference between your 10 day ticket and an AP? TIW is great but only if you are actually saving money with it. Remember that you have to spend $750 on meals to start saving. Add that to the cost to upgrade to an AP and then start factoring in about how much you think you will save on dining and other discounted purchases as a group.

6. Albort

Albort ODV Crew

haha, im only getting hyatt for status... i currently sit on a nice pile of URs, ive been pushing MRs now as much as possible...
    Plan for mid year is to go on the AA train... parents and I are getting a ton of AA mailers so i guess ill start collecting as many as i can...

tink1970 and afan like this.
  7. mamathompson

mamathompson Mouseketeer

We are staying on site. Split at Movies and AKL Kidani. We tend to buy each kid one souvenir per trip and I usually find something I can't live without. My MIL may have a few drinks, but this time I will not be partaking, and my DH doesn't drink. We would buy Memory Maker if I do not upgrade. I was considering that in my costs. I am currently estimating high at about $1900 at the meals we have reserved. We have always had the dining plan in the past and planned this time on trying to be semi frugal with our meals by sharing, having an app instead, as much as possible. We did however book two big event meals, California Grill Brunch and Cinderella's Royal Table for my DD's birthday.

palhockeymomof2 and PolyRob like this.
  8. kidsfirsttrip

kidsfirsttrip DIS Veteran

I watched my bonuses like a hawk in the beginning Chase checking and Discover were very quick - then I did A bunch more and when my last one posted yesterday I had practically forgotten about it!!!
    I felt like it took a bit to hit the bonus. I think the lowest account you can do is $500 before a fee. Then you can close after 6 months. I’m keeping them because the savings account has a high interest rate.

You should be able to open them for DH. I had no problem opening mine but when I tried for DH I got hung up on the verification even though I’m pretty sure we got all the questions right. Haven’t tried again

snugglebug and PolyRob like this.
  9. SouthFayetteFan

SouthFayetteFan Saving Money on Disney Vacations since 2006

It’s very rare and very limited. I don’t know of any major banks doing it. It’s typically the smaller banks.

LB002 and miztressuz like this.
  10. SouthFayetteFan

Yay - my $250 stmt credit posted on my AA biz for my AA eGC. Now I just need to sell it for $200+ to get my cash in my pocket :)

11. Albort

Albort ODV Crew

its possible... i sold my $50 AA eGC for $43.50

disneymagicgirl likes this.
  12. SouthFayetteFan

Yeah I’m debating who I want to do it with. I probably will go with Raise but unsure at this point.

13. PolyRob

PolyRob DIS Veteran

The actual 10-day ticket price will depend on your first day of use, if you plan on adding the park hopper or flex option, and where/how it was purchased.

Let’s say a non-hopper 10-day is about $475 and a 10-day hopper is about $555. A platinum pass will cost about $952.

$477 to break even for 10-day single park
    $397 to break even for 10-day hopper

$308 after Memory Maker adjustment
    $228 after Memory Maker adjustment

Let’s say you just go with the 10% standard on your $1900 estimate. You will save $190. You’re $120 away from breaking even or $38 depending on the ticket.

With TiW you would be $78 away with a single day ticket or save $2 with a hopper.

The possible resort discount and 20% off merchandise would also help.

If you’re doing single park day tickets, I would really crunch the numbers again and check your estimate because it may take a decent amount of work to save a few $. If you plan on using a park hopper ticket, I think you will be able to save enough to justify it easier.

I’ve always done a dining plan calculation to see if it would work for my family. We too like to share things or maybe get a whole bunch of appetizers for dinner. Not being on the dining plan will be freeing for you!

14. Haley R

Haley R With all the strength of a raging fire

Wow I could never live that far from a grocery store

15. Albort

Albort ODV Crew

i just went for the hyatt card cuz u know... lifes too short.
    got a "we will let u know"

called anyways and its at 2 weeks... strange that i didnt get the 30 days first... :\
    guess ill wait it out until monday, seems like they dont approve on weekend.

some reason i always find myself apply on weekend. lol. got 2 days to wonder what may happen...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    disneedee, alryan, mmmears and 18 others like this.
  16. 3 DD love princesses

3 DD love princesses DIS Veteran

What is the number of adults and kids? I would upgrade one ticket to an AP. You get a discount with the AP. Look at the amount you would save between the AP and TIW discounts. Every time I ran our numbers TIW wouldn’t save us enough to break even. We are 2 adults and 3 kids. Another option since you are doing a split stay if you can do the DP on part of your trip. Also are you doing two rooms or one? If two then you could do the DP on one room.

Yeah used to be 15 minutes then we moved 20 minutes further south. But it’s worth it to let the kids play outside and not worry about cars.

Haley R likes this.
  17. hsmamato2

hsmamato2 <font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad

Ok I think I got busy and missed some news here this week....what's happening at staples with Amex? and what is that Amazon deal everyone's discussing?

18. hsmamato2

I guess it'll work for some people, but I'm thinking it's a way for Chase to limit the 2 year CP's that are starting now(and everyones thinking about them and blogging) since if someone goes for this low hanging fruit, they're locked into less than a year CP at best (most people will get way less) and then the 24 months no more bonus rules...locking a larger group out longer and thus saving them reward money over a longer period. (that's just my thinking)

19. hsmamato2

we get a bonus long weekend in FL next month with some family.... yahoo! I wasn't expecting to go anywhere for a while since we just did HI... points save the day again! SWA flights all set(one will come off after we get CP very soon) and the Hyatt points thing....:love: oh my! I wish I had been paying better attention to the Hyatt love in the past year.... The rooms we wanted were 22k points on UR portal, so we did the transfer/book on their site trick for 8k per night:cool1: love it! I love it when a last minute plan comes together.....

20. hsmamato2

????? new rule is only one personal(unless you get thru on a glitch) so how? modified DD?

21. hsmamato2

so if P2 has been approved for the CIP,am are we safe to app for the Hyatt cc thru the link?(gonna try for that 60k)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.