I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the passport photo advice. I’ve decided to just have DH go to Walgreens. It costs more, but we have several upcoming trips and I would hate to have his photo rejected for some crazy reason. I’m at a point in life where sometimes I just need to push the easy button.
Be careful and read the requirements for passport photos first. I sent my son to get his at CVS and they did not pull down the white screen. There were colored graphics in the background. As soon as I saw the photo I knew he had to go back. The photographer even insisted it was ok :rolleyes: They will retake your photo if it gets rejected but who has time for that? Our passport renewals took about 11 weeks from the time we mailed them out.

My three kids were conditionally approved for Global Entry in about 9 hours. It took me 3 months.

Now to find an interview... there appear to be zero anywhere outside of Fairbanks.
I was in the same situation with my daughter and zero interviews available at the airport. I originally scheduled her interview down at the AZ/Mexico border (2.5hr drive) but I continued to check the website almost daily to see if anything opened at the airport. I want to say within a week or two appointments finally were available at Sky Harbor in September so I jumped on that. I know there are services online that will scan for availability, but I sadly couldn’t figure it out, or wasn’t willing to pay. If it’s not too much of a hassle for you, I would recommend just checking daily for open appointments.

My three kids were conditionally approved for Global Entry in about 9 hours. It took me 3 months.

Now to find an interview... there appear to be zero anywhere outside of Fairbanks.
I mentioned this up thread, but I saw the most movement in the evenings while I was watching TV. I'd just keep refreshing and looking at the 3 locations (Philly, Newark, Baltimore) that I was willing to drive to. Started with one 6 months out, bumped to three months out, etc. I stopped refreshing when I got one within 10 days that fit well in my schedule.

Unfortunately, you'll have to do this for 3 appointments, so it'll be more of a chore.

Unfortunately, you'll have to do this for 3 appointments, so it'll be more of a chore.
The "international terminal" in Hartford is basically an abandoned building with two employees. I'm pretty sure they'll let me show up with all three to a single appointment. I'll still TRY to make three appointments, but I'm bringing all of them to the first one.

The "international terminal" in Hartford is basically an abandoned building with two employees. I'm pretty sure they'll let me show up with all three to a single appointment. I'll still TRY to make three appointments, but I'm bringing all of them to the first one.
My experience at Newark was that they were verifying appointments, not letting people sit in the roped off waiting area without one, and not giving any leeway for a gentlemen who was 10 minutes late. Granted, that was in no way an abandoned building, so hopefully you have better luck.

Those of you who fly out of JFK frequently: who do you use for long-term parking? I really just need one night, not long-term. There are so many off-airport options, I am not sure who to go with. Safety is my #1 priority, followed by price. And of course there would need to be a shuttle. I see a few advertised that say no shuttle.

My wife and I are flying to London in September. Our first flight goes to Charlotte and the second to London. On the departing flight to Charlotte can we use Precheck to get through security quicker? I booked the flight with UR and I can't see how to add a known traveler number.

My wife and I are flying to London in September. Our first flight goes to Charlotte and the second to London. On the departing flight to Charlotte can we use Precheck to get through security quicker? I booked the flight with UR and I can't see how to add a known traveler number.
I'm not familiar with the UR UI but you should be able to do it directly with the airline by app, phone, or website once you have a confirmation number.

If you have to go through security again in Charlotte, you should also be able to use PreCheck for US-side departures on international flights, so be make sure the KTN is on the whole itinerary.

Sorry, I've been totally out of the loop.

It's time for another card for MSR. I would like a hotel card for the status and SUB. What's the best SUB deal available currently on a hotel rewards card?

I got emails for Hyatt - 60K SUB ($95) and Hilton Surpass - 130K ($95). Any of those good? Any other good ones available elsewhere?

TIA!

Lake Tahoe . . . planning 3-4 days there next summer as part of a bigger California trip. It'll be me, DH and our sons, who will be 17 and 19. I know nothing, except there's a north side and south side (maybe other sides too?) Would love any and all advice y'all have - which side to stay on, hotel recommendations (or is a VRBO better?), activities (including golf course suggestions), can't-miss-restaurants, you name it.

North side is more quiet. There is a hyatt there thats pretty much in the middle of a neighborhood. Points are pretty reasonable there.
South side is packed and full of people. Its like going to tourist town. probably cheaper options there.

All we did was drove around the lake and stop to see the sites to take pictures. Its a pretty nice drive. only went for like half a day so i cant really say much.

Theres a really good coffee place that im addicted to in Truckee which is north of Lake Tahoe, called Dark Horse roasters... their Cinnamon Toast Latte is off the hook... to this day, i crave it... :|

Ughhh! I purchased a Visa gift card on June 25 at my local Kroger when it was 4x fuel points. I did an odd amount ($220) on a variable card not knowing it would not earn 4 x points. Went to customer service who said that there was nothing they can do. But called the Kroger customer service number on the receipt and they added 880 points to my account. Put the gift card in my wallet and tried to use it the next day at a nail salon. Didn’t go thru. Just assumed I needed to activate it. Forgot about it until yesterday when I tried to check the balance. I was able to see that the card was used at a Superwalmart on the 26th of June earlier in the day (before I went to the nail salon). I called cardholder services for the gift card and they started an investigation which they said takes 90 days. What a big mess! Anyone else have this happen to them?

It's time for another card for MSR. I would like a hotel card for the status and SUB. What's the best SUB deal available currently on a hotel rewards card?

I got emails for Hyatt - 60K SUB ($95) and Hilton Surpass - 130K ($95). Any of those good? Any other good ones available elsewhere?

TIA!
I do not consider myself an expert because of my short experience over the past couple of years. That being said, I have the Hilton and Marriott cards. Hilton points value is not great at all. A lot of people here do not like Marriott. I feel like I have been able to get good value out of my card. I got lucky and got the 5 free nights back during Covid (that offer just recently ended again). Marriott is also good if you want to use them at Disney for Swan/Dolphin. I have found Hyatt to be the best redemption rate and I have transferred a lot of UR to Hyatt.

Is Southwest still changing their schedule? Have they changed December?
I haven't had any changes to my August/September flights since the spring.

No changes to my Nov and Dec from the time those opened for booking.

Day of staffing, weather, delays are still happening. The major changes where they proactively uproot months of flights at once haven't happened since the spring.

Ughhh! I purchased a Visa gift card on June 25 at my local Kroger when it was 4x fuel points. I did an odd amount ($220) on a variable card not knowing it would not earn 4 x points. Went to customer service who said that there was nothing they can do. But called the Kroger customer service number on the receipt and they added 880 points to my account. Put the gift card in my wallet and tried to use it the next day at a nail salon. Didn’t go thru. Just assumed I needed to activate it. Forgot about it until yesterday when I tried to check the balance. I was able to see that the card was used at a Superwalmart on the 26th of June earlier in the day (before I went to the nail salon). I called cardholder services for the gift card and they started an investigation which they said takes 90 days. What a big mess! Anyone else have this happen to them?
I’m sorry this happened to you. The US Bank gift cards that are sold at Kroger stores have been notoriously difficult to use for almost a year now. People reporting fraud, inactive cards, and issues changing the pin. It’s really hit or miss, but enough stories like yours on Reddit and FlyerTalk that have made me completely avoid USB cards. It does appear that people ultimately get refunded their money so I think you’ll be ok in that regard, just a big headache to deal with. When I was still purchasing USB cards I had to have several replaced due to suspicion of fraud. This gives me the impression that USB is well aware of the problem with their cards, and hopefully that helps with your situation because it appears to happen often. Let us know what happens.

I went to Walgreens because I was concerned I would mess it up on my own. The process was simple, but I look beyond awful in the photo. I wish I would have asked to see it before it was printed.
Haha! My passport photo looks like the walking dead..... it is literally everything wrong in a photo,right there:rotfl2:

TIA!
Amex Marriott business currently has an elevated SUB and comes with Gold status. I personally have found zero value in having Gold status, and wouldn’t expect to get anything from having it.

The Hyatt SUB is a bit deceiving. The 60k is only after 15k of spend. I’d rather have a couple of Ink cards for that amount of spend and just transfer the 200k points to Hyatt. It comes with Discoverist status, which again I find zero value.

The Hilton Surpass is I believe the standard SUB and I think it gives you Gold status (double check that) which is good for a daily food and beverage credit. I personally would apply for the Aspire instead if you’ve never had it. It comes with Diamond status, which gives you the F & B credit, and I’ve had decent luck getting room upgrades.

Other than the Marriott Business I don’t believe there are currently any elevated hotel SUBS right now. I think your best bet is to just decide which properties are readily available where you’re looking to travel and go from there.

Haha! My passport photo looks like the walking dead..... it is literally everything wrong in a photo,right there:rotfl2:
So my DH went and got his passport photo yesterday at Walgreens and you nailed it. I didn’t say anything to him, but it is quite honestly the worst photo I have ever seen 😂 I don’t even hardly recognize him. I mean, it is him, but wow!

I wish I had known this earlier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter