I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip>

If you have a pre-existing condition then it usually needs to be purchased 2-3 weeks after the first payment of the trip is made. If you don't have to worry about that, then you can purchase insurance much closer to the trip itself. I think (but I'm not 100% sure about this) that a pre-existing condition can also apply to a family member who is not traveling if they are the reason you don't take the trip of have to cut it short.
If you have a pre-existing condition, make sure the policy specifically covers pre-existing conditions. Most do not. I had to buy one for my nephew who recently had surgery and will still be in PT when we travel. I wanted to be sure that if something occurred during our trip that it would be covered. I had to get him a different policy than me. I was able to purchase it a couple of months after I booked, but different companies/policies may vary.

Thanks everyone for the passport photo advice. I’ve decided to just have DH go to Walgreens. It costs more, but we have several upcoming trips and I would hate to have his photo rejected for some crazy reason. I’m at a point in life where sometimes I just need to push the easy button.

My points night at Hyatt showed yesterday afternoon for a short time. I hesitated on booking to call and make sure the rest could go today. Meanwhile points night got taken or changed back to cash, but I had a shot. Just didn't want to grab it and spend 29k without knowing that everyone could go earlier. I'm happy with doing midweek nights myself.

But point of post is that points nights do come and go probably depending on cancelations. I've seen this with Hyatt and Marriott, not so much with IHG but haven't been watching them recently.

Any Hyatt recommendations for Chicago? I wanted the Park Hyatt but it is not available. It’s for a girls trip.

Any Hyatt recommendations for Chicago? I wanted the Park Hyatt but it is not available. It’s for a girls trip.
I'm guessing it's booked up? the one I always see on flyer talk is the Chicago Athletic club something like that or the centric for points.

I'm guessing it's booked up? the one I always see on flyer talk is the Chicago Athletic club something like that or the centric for points.
Thanks. Yeah, only suites to be booked with points. Not that I don’t like the friends, just rather not splurge 100k for 2 nights.

@WVMo3DD Did you stay at the Chicago Athletic Club or your sister? How did you/she like it?

My husband was sleeping at a nice Hilton in Phoenix on Tuesday night when he woke up because a 2" bug was crawling on his face. :scared1:

He took a photo of it, chased it into the bathroom and then killed it. Then packed his bags and went to the front desk and asked for a new room. They gave him a new room and when he got there the door was already open. He knocked and took a look around; since he didn't find anyone inside he went in and tried to sleep.

The next morning he went to the front desk and asked for a comp night for his trouble. They said no, but offered him a free breakfast. He already had a free breakfast. How about a free drink (which he probably needed at that point) but he said no, he would be checking out and didn't want a drink. So he asked for points. They said they could give him points. So far only his normal points for staying have showed up in his HH account.

So what do you think crawling bugs and unsecured doors are worth points-wise? :scratchin

We use the Thompson most of the time. Nice neighborhood (Gold Coast) with an easy walk to Michigan Ave. Seems like the Chicago Athletic Association is also very well reviewed. We're trying that next month. That's closer to the museums, Millenium Park.

Ahhh I just realized I missed the deadline to apply for the Marriott Boundless 5 FNCs. I am so mad at myself. I should have applied sooner. Dang.
NO!!! I was going to have my mom apply for it. I just checked a couple of days ago. I was waiting a little longer for my dad to get closer to the MSR on his. I am so mad at myself.

ETA: it looks like the AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant might be a decent alternative since we missed out on the 5 free nights. It has a $300 dining credit starting 9/22, offers TSA/Global Entry reimbursement and includes Priority Pass Select (10 visits $99 value). So the annual fee is more than offset if you use all the benefits.

Last edited:
My husband was sleeping at a nice Hilton in Phoenix on Tuesday night when he woke up because a 2" bug was crawling on his face. :scared1:

He took a photo of it, chased it into the bathroom and then killed it. Then packed his bags and went to the front desk and asked for a new room. They gave him a new room and when he got there the door was already open. He knocked and took a look around; since he didn't find anyone inside he went in and tried to sleep.

The next morning he went to the front desk and asked for a comp night for his trouble. They said no, but offered him a free breakfast. He already had a free breakfast. How about a free drink (which he probably needed at that point) but he said no, he would be checking out and didn't want a drink. So he asked for points. They said they could give him points. So far only his normal points for staying have showed up in his HH account.

So what do you think crawling bugs and unsecured doors are worth points-wise? :scratchin

Were they interior or exterior doors? I mean phoenix and places have bugs. Should they end up inside and on your face at 2am, no but bugs end up inside esp with exterior doors.

Which hilton was this? Honestly I'd look for reviews. I know at least one has issues in phx.

Lake Tahoe . . . planning 3-4 days there next summer as part of a bigger California trip. It'll be me, DH and our sons, who will be 17 and 19. I know nothing, except there's a north side and south side (maybe other sides too?) Would love any and all advice y'all have - which side to stay on, hotel recommendations (or is a VRBO better?), activities (including golf course suggestions), can't-miss-restaurants, you name it.

Ugh. I applied for a CIC and got the letter asking me to verify my address and business address. My "business" is just reselling and I don't have an actual address. I know others have experience with this. Is just my driver's license going to work? Do I need to explain anything. Is it going to be a hassle? I can just go a different card route, I just really wanted those URs.

I stayed 1 night at the Thompson and liked it. Walkable to most things and in close proximity to the subway for sites that aren't walkable. Front desk staff was very nice, close to several nice restaurants and a stones throw from the Mag Mile. I'd stay there again.

If you husband is a HH diamond member, then he should definitely call the diamond desk. They are EXCELLENT to deal with. They will open up a case and resolve the situation for him. What happened to your husband is not okay and since they appear to have brushed him off, I'd go up the ladder to corporate.

Ugh. I applied for a CIC and got the letter asking me to verify my address and business address. My "business" is just reselling and I don't have an actual address. I know others have experience with this. Is just my driver's license going to work? Do I need to explain anything. Is it going to be a hassle? I can just go a different card route, I just really wanted those URs.
NO!!! I was going to have my mom apply for it. I just checked a couple of days ago. I was waiting a little longer for my dad to get closer to the MSR on his. I am so mad at myself.

ETA: it looks like the AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant might be a decent alternative since we missed out on the 5 free nights. It has a $300 dining credit starting 9/22, offers TSA/Global Entry reimbursement and includes Priority Pass Select (10 visits $99 value). So the annual fee is more than offset if you use all the benefits.
There was never an ending date mentioned so I wasn’t too worried. :sad2: Never again will I make that mistake. I will look into the Brilliant but I really wanted the 5 FNCs.

It shouldn't be a hassle. I once had a verification request with a new biz app even though I had other biz cards with Chase. You may be able to just call them and get it approved. That's what I did. The address is just your address unless you put something else on the app. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter