I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I only need 65k to reach CP and wouldn’t need to get the biz card if that’s helpful.
Remember that all 125000 pts need to be earned within the same calendar year. (ie, you need to have already earned 60000 pts since Jan 2020 to combine with the 65000 points that you'd be earning on the new card, which would need to post by the end of Dec.)

I’m getting close to (hopefully) booking our Hawaii trip and am hoping for some advice from the experts! (@Lain , @CaliforniaGirl09, or anyone else with Hawaii knowledge!

I can book the AA departure flight in the next week or so, so I hoping to get some feedback on my rough plans/itinerary/point redemptions to make sure I’m not missing anything. DH and I have been to Oahu twice (I’ve been one other time when I was young also), my kiddos have never been.

There will be 4 of us going the end of July 2021 (DH, me, DS10, DD8). We’ll be flying from Wichita, KS (ICT) using AA miles (currently have 219k miles).

My plan is to fly from ICT to OGG on a Thurs in mid/late July (20k AA points one way/each person). So far there’s been good availability on points for these days in Aug that aren’t available yet). Stay at the Grand Wailea for 3 nights Thurs – Sat, ck out Sun (95k points x 2 nights + 1 FNC from Hilton Aspire, which I’m planning on referring my DH to soon). We’ll use part of $250 Aspire credit to pay for parking.

Fly from OGG to HNL on Sunday (still working that part out, options are 1. SW RR if flights are available, 2. paying cash (I saw flights on Hawaiian Air for $65/pp), or 3. applying for the Barclay Hawaiian Airlines biz card).

Stay 6 nights (Sun-Fri) at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (60k points x 5 nights + 1 night free (5th night free on points)). We’ll use the remaining Hilton Aspire resort credit for parking.

Check out Fri evening for evening flight back from HNL to ICT, arriving home Sat afternoon. I’m thinking if we have a late flight it would be worth the 60k HH points to reserve the room so that we can use it before the flight, even though we won’t actually stay the night there).

So, one of my questions is for the flight, would you rather book 1 stop, flying ICT to DFW (1 hr 15 min), DFW to OGG (8.5 hour) or ICT to DFW, DFW to LAX (3 hour flight), LAX to OGG (5.5 hour flight)? If it were just DH and me, I’d definitely say the DFW to OGG, but with the kids I’m wondering if it would be better to break up the long flight? We’ll be flight in the main cabin (like peasants 😊). One thing that does scare me about this is the possibility of losing luggage with so many plane changes.

Another questions I have is 3 days good/worth it in Maui? Is Maui/ Grand Wailea good for kids? I mostly want to go just to see a different island than just Oahu, and the GW gets such good reviews here I’d really like to try it.

Thank you for anyone whose taken the time to read my super-long post. I’m sure I’ll have lots more questions later, but for now I just wanted to make sure that I get the main flights right and that I have a good overall plan. Any advice feedback is appreciated! :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes
We love Maui much more than Oahu. Don't get me wrong, Oahu is still beautiful. But Maui is just, WOW. Haleakala, Road to Hana, absolute beautiful snorkeling and beaches. We've been to the 4 main islands. On our next trip we want to do just Maui, since that was the standout favorite for us. We also love the Big Island.

I’m getting close to (hopefully) booking our Hawaii trip and am hoping for some advice from the experts! (@Lain , @CaliforniaGirl09, or anyone else with Hawaii knowledge!

I can book the AA departure flight in the next week or so, so I hoping to get some feedback on my rough plans/itinerary/point redemptions to make sure I’m not missing anything. DH and I have been to Oahu twice (I’ve been one other time when I was young also), my kiddos have never been.

There will be 4 of us going the end of July 2021 (DH, me, DS10, DD8). We’ll be flying from Wichita, KS (ICT) using AA miles (currently have 219k miles).

My plan is to fly from ICT to OGG on a Thurs in mid/late July (20k AA points one way/each person). So far there’s been good availability on points for these days in Aug that aren’t available yet). Stay at the Grand Wailea for 3 nights Thurs – Sat, ck out Sun (95k points x 2 nights + 1 FNC from Hilton Aspire, which I’m planning on referring my DH to soon). We’ll use part of $250 Aspire credit to pay for parking.

Fly from OGG to HNL on Sunday (still working that part out, options are 1. SW RR if flights are available, 2. paying cash (I saw flights on Hawaiian Air for $65/pp), or 3. applying for the Barclay Hawaiian Airlines biz card).

Stay 6 nights (Sun-Fri) at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (60k points x 5 nights + 1 night free (5th night free on points)). We’ll use the remaining Hilton Aspire resort credit for parking.

Check out Fri evening for evening flight back from HNL to ICT, arriving home Sat afternoon. I’m thinking if we have a late flight it would be worth the 60k HH points to reserve the room so that we can use it before the flight, even though we won’t actually stay the night there).

So, one of my questions is for the flight, would you rather book 1 stop, flying ICT to DFW (1 hr 15 min), DFW to OGG (8.5 hour) or ICT to DFW, DFW to LAX (3 hour flight), LAX to OGG (5.5 hour flight)? If it were just DH and me, I’d definitely say the DFW to OGG, but with the kids I’m wondering if it would be better to break up the long flight? We’ll be flight in the main cabin (like peasants 😊). One thing that does scare me about this is the possibility of losing luggage with so many plane changes.

Another questions I have is 3 days good/worth it in Maui? Is Maui/ Grand Wailea good for kids? I mostly want to go just to see a different island than just Oahu, and the GW gets such good reviews here I’d really like to try it.

Thank you for anyone whose taken the time to read my super-long post. I’m sure I’ll have lots more questions later, but for now I just wanted to make sure that I get the main flights right and that I have a good overall plan. Any advice feedback is appreciated! :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

My kids sleep on planes (something about the vibration maybe), so I would definitely do the 1 stop with one long flight.

A week is better for an island you haven't been to before. 5th night free is a good deal though, so maybe you want to move the 6th HHV night to Wailea. Even better if you can extend your trip. 😁

The only island in Hawaii that we've been on is Maui. It's very pretty. The Grand Wailea is a beautiful property and has plenty of things for kids to do. They have huge pool area's, the beach and a kids program.
We stayed at the Grand Wailea when DD was 4. This was in early May of 2008. She loved it! We ate at the overwater restaurant at the Grand Wailea (I don't remember the name) and one of the servers showed her how to throw pieces of the rolls of bread over the railing to feed the large fish below. We met a few people that were staying at the Four Seasons that would walk over to eat at that restaurant. We got the breakfast buffet a couple of mornings. The view from the balcony is incredible! Just watch out for the birds that like to steal food.
We went on a boat/snorkel trip that the people at the hotel recommended. It was fun and they even had boards for the younger children that had the googles built in.

My opinion on the flights is that the 1 stop will be best. Adding an additional stop not only increases the chance of lost luggage but also causes a longer travel day because of the layover time and potential delayed takeoff. I'm guessing your children will be very excited to go and will be troopers. DD has gone on some long plane rides over the years and has been fine. She was 6 when she flew from ABQ to EWR to LHR (London), in coach. A really long travel day and she handled it better than we did. I would always pack some snacks in my carry on, along with a neck pillow and possibly a small blanket, and made sure she had something to entertain her.

Maui is lovely and the GWR is great for kids. It was our "go to place" most years when our DD was little. The pools are fantastic and it's also on a very nice beach that is usually perfect for swimming and great for sand-castle construction. :goodvibes We never go to Oahu, preferring Maui and/or Kauai and the big Island (Hawaii).

I am fairly certain that I will be doing the MDD on or around December 15th (my points from the CSR posted on December 14, 2016). I will be 2/24 when I apply. I'm really looking forward to more URs :yay::yay:. I could get a new Hyatt card now, but thinking I might keep the one I have for free night (and it wouldn't be easy for me to reach the MSR -- I have to be very strategic about how I will reach the high spend that MSR cards require as my monthly spending has dropped rather significantly).

The “old” Hyatt card is being converted to the “new” World of Hyatt card, so why not grab the new WOH card before then for the SUB? Of course, I don’t know your pacing for prior cards and your next cards (you say December?) and velocity seems to matter a lot more with Chase these days.

I’ll circle back when I have more time this weekend. I’d consider doing 4 days on Maui and 5 on Oahu. I just think 5 days on Oahu is enough time to do most of the things I can think to recommend. Perhaps switch the order and do Oahu first, then do Maui. Oahu is a lot more urbanized. Honolulu, Waikiki, and the southern side of the island are a lot more like some big cities on the mainland. Maui is more laid back and probably more of what people have in mind when they think of Hawaii. I’d also do the one stop. I just think every time you have to make a layover, get off, board again, is more draining than even sitting on a plane for 8 hours. Try to catch some zzz.

My kids sleep on planes (something about the vibration maybe), so I would definitely do the 1 stop with one long flight.

A week is better for an island you haven't been to before. 5th night free is a good deal though, so maybe you want to move the 6th HHV night to Wailea. Even better if you can extend your trip. 😁

I was thinking along the same lines.

The “old” Hyatt card is being converted to the “new” World of Hyatt card, so why not grab the new WOH card before then for the SUB? Of course, I don’t know your pacing for prior cards and your next cards (you say December?) and velocity seems to matter a lot more with Chase these days.
My most recent cards are outlined below. I am fairly certain I am well-positioned for a new Chase card. Do you have any details on the 'new' WOH card? The only thing holding me back is the $6,000.00 MSR for 50,000 points (which I could reach with the first installment of dd's tuition and res being due at the end of September). But would that affect my plan of a MDD in mid-December?

AmExMarriott Brilliant (canc.)Personal
30-Apr-19​
Chase BizBusinessJune 27 2019
Barclays AA Aviator Biz (canc.)Business
24-Aug-19​
Chase BizBusinessSeptember
AmEx Personal PlatinumPersonal
25-Jan-20​
AmEx Biz PlatinumBusiness
27-Jan-20​
Chase BizBusiness
1-Feb-20​

A quick question. My Hyatt card renewed in July (original application was July, 2018); if I cancel today, when can I re-apply? Could it be as early as Monday?

This was my intention for a second card after I get CSP, however, there was a line that said, you couldn't hold the two Hyatt cards, so I've opted to stay with the $75 version, but obviously if I'm forced to change, I'll end up with the newer one, but I will close and later reopen.

"The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. "

Other than the signup bonus, the new card doesn't thrill me for an extra $20 a month. And I'm a card hoarder not a card closer - my problem in a nutshell.

My other thought is easier to open UR cards and transfer the UR's , larger bonuses for less spend.

Last edited:
This was my intention for a second card after I get CSP, however, there was a line that said, you couldn't hold the two Hyatt cards, so I've opted to stay with the $75 version, but obviously if I'm forced to change, I'll end up with the newer one, but I will close and later reopen.

"The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. "

Other than the signup bonus, the new card doesn't thrill me for an extra $20 a month. And I'm a card hoarder not a card closer - my problem in a nutshell.

My other thought is easier to open UR cards and transfer the UR's , larger bonuses for less spend.
I have the $95.00 version. I've had amazing redemptions at Park Hyatt properties (PH Sydney, PH Paris and PH NYC), so I place a pretty high value on Hyatt points. I am starting to formulate plans for an Australia / NZ trip in March, 2022 (I have already booked the March, 2022 NZ ABD trip with ds), so I can easily use the points for another stay at the PH Sydney! Plus with SLH joining Hyatt there are a lot of really interesting luxury properties in the portfolio.

A quick question. My Hyatt card renewed in July (original application was July, 2018); if I cancel today, when can I re-apply? Could it be as early as Monday?

I believe when cancelling it's suggested to wait 30 days. There's nothing to pc the card to, but it can be done sooner, around a week then. It's why it's generally suggested to pc but chase and hyatt don't have enough cards for it.

It's also 24 months from when you got the bonus not from when you opened it. So you could close now and then app for it after the bonus posted which I'm guessing is sometime in sept/Oct.

But did you do a 3 month or a 6 month bonus on the card? If the 6 month and you took most of that time then you've got even longer to wait.

I believe when cancelling it's suggested to wait 30 days. There's nothing to pc the card to, but it can be done sooner, around a week then. It's why it's generally suggested to pc but chase and hyatt don't have enough cards for it.

It's also 24 months from when you got the bonus not from when you opened it. So you could close now and then app for it after the bonus posted which I'm guessing is sometime in sept/Oct.

But did you do a 3 month or a 6 month bonus on the card? If the 6 month and you took most of that time then you've got even longer to wait.
The points posted on my October 9, 2018 statement. I suppose if I want to do the MDD in December I should wait to cancel and re-apply for this card :scratchin.

Yeah that's a valid point. I was just able to get my DW's CSP deleted from my credit report.
Yeah, but that's YMMV. I had one credit bureau refuse to remove it, they noted it in the account but wouldn't remove it. Plus it's a bother and takes extra time. Better to avoid in the first place especially with banks tightening approvals these days.

Not many cc apps here since spending is minimal. No travel planned either (hoping for DLR 2021). I'm still saving URs since I feel they are like a travel savings account and can be used as cash in an emergency.

We have almost $3k in insurance payments soon, so I've decided time for another card. I'm 1/24 and last Card was CIP in 2/20. DH got BCP last month so I'm favoring CSP for me with DHs referral. Can't justify CSR, and not enough spending for MDD.
Any other contenders?

Not many cc apps here since spending is minimal. No travel planned either (hoping for DLR 2021). I'm still saving URs since I feel they are like a travel savings account and can be used as cash in an emergency.

We have almost $3k in insurance payments soon, so I've decided time for another card. I'm 1/24 and last Card was CIP in 2/20. DH got BCP last month so I'm favoring CSP for me with DHs referral. Can't justify CSR, and not enough spending for MDD.
Any other contenders?
From a fellow UR hoarder, I'd definitely go for a CSP! I also consider my URs a travel savings account!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter