I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get outside the city you might find a low category Marriott or Hyatt hotel. Transfer some URs and get it for free? When doing a stop-over stay outside of a major area, I've found some Cat 1 - 7,500 pt Marriott hotels that were going for $80-$100 cash. Park Free, Sleep Free, Breakfast Free - oh yeah!
I’m looking at Joliet, Illinois. It’s about 45 minutes from the United center but on our way home. They’ll probably have free parking so we could park at the arena and drive from there

That’s a very good idea! The game starts at 7:30 so we could easily drive a little ways to cut some time on our way home. I’ll keep looking to see what we can find. I don’t really know the areas around there so idk what’s safe and what isn’t

Honestly I would look at the map of Chicago and find the freeway you'll use to get into the city and then zoom in to see what's around that area. Agree with what @SouthFayetteFan said too about low point prices outside the city. You'll find free or much cheaper parking once you get outside the city limits and potentially free breakfast. You'd be able to check in on your way into the city, have dinner, go to the game and then back to the hotel.

When I went up to Vancouver a couple years ago for a game (hate Rogers arena) I looked downtown, the suburbs and briefly considered coming back across the border a little bit. I ended up with a suburb and drove to the lightrail station and took that into the city which was much easier and cheaper than downtown. It also let me get Tim Horton's in the morning which was the other reason for staying in Canada.

If you get outside the city you might find a low category Marriott or Hyatt hotel. Transfer some URs and get it for free? When doing a stop-over stay outside of a major area, I've found some Cat 1 - 7,500 pt Marriott hotels that were going for $80-$100 cash. Park Free, Sleep Free, Breakfast Free - oh yeah!
The problem then is you’re taking a 45 minute Uber ride to/from United Center. The closest “not in Chicago” Marriott or Hyatt options I see in a quick perusal, are near Midway Airport. @Haley R would you guys be taking I80 from Iowa?

Honestly I would look at the map of Chicago and find the freeway you'll use to get into the city and then zoom in to see what's around that area. Agree with what @SouthFayetteFan said too about low point prices outside the city. You'll find free or much cheaper parking once you get outside the city limits and potentially free breakfast. You'd be able to check in on your way into the city, have dinner, go to the game and then back to the hotel.

When I went up to Vancouver a couple years ago for a game (hate Rogers arena) I looked downtown, the suburbs and briefly considered coming back across the border a little bit. I ended up with a suburb and drove to the lightrail station and took that into the city which was much easier and cheaper than downtown. It also let me get Tim Horton's in the morning which was the other reason for staying in Canada.
This is exactly what I started doing lol. Thanks for the idea!

The problem then is you’re taking a 45 minute Uber ride to/from United Center. The closest “not in Chicago” Marriott or Hyatt options I see in a quick perusal, are near Midway Airport. @Haley R would you guys be taking I80 from Iowa?
No we wouldn’t take an Uber we would drive our car to the arena and park

Yeah I think we take 80 for part of the way

Woah...yeah, I probably keep quiet for a little bit and see if it works itself out.

It was a pretty sizable transaction and not one I could’ve easily made up without spending or floating money I wouldn’t have otherwise spent, which is a redline for me.

I’ve pretty much written off the BGR SUB, and I’m focusing on DW’s new SPG Personal MSR and our forthcoming United Biz apps. I don’t plan on contacting Amex, because between the number of cards I’ve opened in the last year, and Amex cards I’ve had DW open, referrals and self referrals, and ummm lots of $500+ grocery trips, I’ve taken Amex for over a million points between MR, Marriott, and Hilton, and I don’t need eyes on that.

If I find an extra 50k MR in my account, I’ll be delighted. But I’m not going to be a hog and get slaughtered.

Last edited:
I’m looking at Joliet, Illinois. It’s about 45 minutes from the United center but on our way home. They’ll probably have free parking so we could park at the arena and drive from there
Oh Joliet is way more than 45 minutes. It’s probably at least an hour, likely more. It’s a weeknight, right? Rush hour traffic will be bad.

There should be a ton of options around there because of the race track there. Gotta have somewhere to put all the Nascar and Indycar crews and fans.

Hello, Looking for advice as to which card to apply for. Chase Sapphire Preferred or Venture from Capital One. My husband currently has Chase freedom and I have Chase SW premier. I haven't booked travel thru Chase Ultimate rewards portal. Just redeemed for cash back. Is it generally a good deal or at least comparable ?

Oh Joliet is way more than 45 minutes. It’s probably at least an hour, likely more. It’s a weeknight, right? Rush hour traffic will be bad.
Assuming it's on the way, either way they'd be driving in at that time and facing that traffic. Then at night when traffic maybe isn't as bad get an hour back towards home and drive the rest of the way after a nice breakfast.

Hello, Looking for advice as to which card to apply for. Chase Sapphire Preferred or Venture from Capital One. My husband currently has Chase freedom and I have Chase SW premier. I haven't booked travel thru Chase Ultimate rewards portal. Just redeemed for cash back. Is it generally a good deal or at least comparable ?
Hey there and welcome! Are you looking to apply for one card and be done, or are you considering chasing some sign-up bonuses on a more ongoing basis?

Both of those cards have merit but if you're looking to "play the game we play" so to speak, then our advice would likely be much different.

Sooo an update to my Delta BE self inflicted stress. I hit refresh +/- 3,692 times waiting for seat assignments all the while watching the available seats drop and our place on standby grow longer, and finally after landing from our first flight we got them. 15 A and 15B (window, middle in economy COMFORT!).

Also I was so excited about the seats I didn't realize they changed our gate. I hoofed it from A6 to the S terminal and thought it was eerily quiet. Yup, changed to at A1, and boarding NOW. So here I sit, sweaty, but on the plane.

It appears as though both AMEX and Chase are taking the same position:

If your AGGREGATE value of referrals was < $600 across all cards from that issuer they may not issue you a 1099. I don't have 100% proof on this, but from scouring DPs it seems like some people got a 1099 for one or the other but in all cases it was due to having more than $600 in total referrals. Obviously given that it's 2 weeks into February it seems like you are all likely in the clear here. Hopefully that is the case!

No 1099’s for me still either. I guess the sad lack of referrals for some of us maybe paid off in the end. :)

When I type Bonvoy, I keep making the typo bonboy, which my computer wants to autocorrect to bonbon.

Did anyone in marketing even think about this before rebranding?!

And what the heck would a bonboy be, anyway? Good boy?

I feel like they did the opposite of what people would want in everything with this merger. It is just so bad.

DH only has old SPG personal upgraded to Lux in October. Would he be qualify for any of the new cards? Of course with Amex it assumes the increased spending would avoid the pop up. Maybe go for 4th Chase business?

Hey there and welcome! Are you looking to apply for one card and be done, or are you considering chasing some sign-up bonuses on a more ongoing basis?

Both of those cards have merit but if you're looking to "play the game we play" so to speak, then our advice would likely be much different.
For now, just one card....although I enjoy the bonuses my husband doesnt like the idea of opening multiple cards. Thank You

No 1099’s for me still either. I guess the sad lack of referrals for some of us maybe paid off in the end. :)

I feel like they did the opposite of what people would want in everything with this merger. It is just so bad.

DH only has old SPG personal upgraded to Lux in October. Would he be qualify for any of the new cards? Of course with Amex it assumes the increased spending would avoid the pop up. Maybe go for 4th Chase business?
It is interesting...there is a small window where it probably really stunk to get a 1099. Somebody with $550 goes on their Merry Way but somebody with $600-$750 gets a 1099 and actually nets less than $500 after taxes. If you got $800+ you probably ended up in a better place anyways so not a bad deal... At least now we know to plan for it going forward :)

For now, just one card....although I enjoy the bonuses my husband doesnt like the idea of opening multiple cards. Thank You
So the BEST bonus out there right now is actually on a business card called the Chase Ink Preferred. Many of us qualify for a small business card via a side hustle such as Selling on Ebay, teaching piano, selling cookies or mowing lawns. Would that be something you'd want to pursue? That bonus is actually worth $300+ more than the Chase Sapphire Preferred. If you're not interested in that...I understand and would then give you a different recommendation...

So the BEST bonus out there right now is actually on a business card called the Chase Ink Preferred. Many of us qualify for a small business card via a side hustle such as Selling on Ebay, teaching piano, selling cookies or mowing lawns. Would that be something you'd want to pursue? That bonus is actually worth $300+ more than the Chase Sapphire Preferred. If you're not interested in that...I understand and would then give you a different recommendation...
Not sure what I would say for a business, so not thinking I would want to do tht...but thanks for the info

:love: Tomorrow, tomorrow, could it happen tomorrow????

Quoting:
The latest word from CEO Gary Kelly on Southwest Hawaii flights. Speaking yesterday to 4,000 SWA employees gathered in Las Vegas, he said, “we’re going to go very focused into Hawaii. We want to ramp up and be relevant rather quickly.” In addition, he indicated that Las Vegas flights to and from Hawaii may also be on their agenda in the not distant future. He said, “we’ll definitely have Hawaiians taking advantage of access to Las Vegas.”

Key Valentines Day Test scheduled for tomorrow.

We expect tomorrow’s flight to be on the same route as last week, Oakland to Honolulu. We are also still hopeful that flights could be announced tomorrow, Valentines Day, following that flight, but no one will know until it happens. One rumor is that SWA executives could even be on board tomorrow, and that plays into a potential announcement on arrival in Hawaii tomorrow afternoon. We are standing by.

The first Southwest Hawaii flight to Honolulu took place on February 5, 2019, from Oakland. It returned to the mainland on Wednesday February 6. We don’t know whether or not there will be additional tests to Maui. We’re also awaiting the first inter-island test, which will be an extension between Honolulu and Maui. More tests including emergency diversion simulations are likely.

At present the airline’s almost singular new focus is completing what they recently called Southwest’s “top new market.” We believe that Southwest Hawaii flights should be in the air by next month at the latest. The company hopes to sell tickets this month. As you know, flights were to be cleared for takeoff in January, prior to the federal government shutdown that prevented their obtaining final approval.

As someone who has yet to book our flights for Hawaii spring break..... I am much looking forward to this !

Not sure what I would say for a business, so not thinking I would want to do tht...but thanks for the info
Then in that case - I think you've identified two excellent cards in CSP (Chase Sapphire Preferred) and Cap1 Venture. Both cards have 50,000 pt signup bonuses and both waive the annual fee for the first year.

Since you already have a Freedom you are familiar with earning Ultimate Rewards (URs). With a CSP you would also be earning URs and you could combine them between your freedom and CSP card. You can redeem your URs for travel through the portal at 1.25 cents each making your signup bonus (and base spend) worth a minimum of $540 cash, $675 to travel, or you could transfer those points to a partner like Southwest and get $800+ value out of them.

Your Venture signup (plus base) would be worth $560 statement credit applied to travel expenses I believe.

I'm preferable to the Sapphire Preferred card. Chase has a bunch of cards (7 in total) that earn Ultimate Rewards and it is fun and easy to combine and use them. Also, if you got a CSP you could see if your husband would get one later and you could refer him and earn the signup bonus again (for him) and you'd earn 10,000 pts for referring him. That's a nice haul of points!

I'll send you a PM about our reddit group if you're interested. Hopefully this insight is helpful :) Neither card is really a bad decision though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter