I got called for Jury Duty again... How many times have you been called.

I've been called 5 times and I'm 51. I've actually wanted to serve but they've mostly called me at the worst times. Like the day before college classes start, or when I was breast feeding. Two times ago, the defense attorney took a dislike to me since I could think. He tried to get me dismissed, but I made him use one of his 'no-reason' dismissals. The last time there was two people between me and the last person called. Although they'd made it farther into the jury pool than they said they normally did.

Summons 2x, never had to do anything for them, though. Both were Federal, and within a very short time span.

I got called twice before I got married. Since I've been married, I've been called at least once every year. Some years I received 2 notices. Monday was our 24th anniversary.

Here we have to call the night before to see if we have to report. I've had to report every single time.

I've been on the jury only once.

I've been called twice. The first time though, I had just moved to a new county and was called in my old county, so I just had to send them a copy of new driver license with the updated address and I was excused.

I was then called again about 10 years ago in the new county and did my 2 week stint. I did sit on one actual jury and it was very interesting.

I was called for being in a pool for county criminal jury duty for one day, I was in a pretrial something or another or maybe it was a selection thing, but was not selected.

I have been called 8 times and once for town court. I served on a Grand Jury which was a month of my life. We had to cancel a planned vacation. I almost got on a jury but was one of the last dismissed. I am a high school history teacher so I badly wanted to serve on the jury. My brother is a city cop but they let me stay until the last group. I was kinda sad.

I got called once but was moving soon after to another state so I got out of it. Otherwise not once and I am in my 40s. I dread it though due to anxiety and never driving into the city (can't parallel park).

In PA, they send you a letter. I have received one many times, but never gone. I have been working out-of-state for the last 12 years.

For some reason I get called for Jury Duty, Since I registered to vote at 18 until now , I have been called 10 times... Which is alot it seem to me.

I have never served on a Jury though..

They will not pick me due my brother being a retired deputy, and our close friends are both in law enforcement... When filling out the questionnaire I always check the box for yes... then I still get called, even though I know that they are not going to choose me....the minute they ask me if I know anyone in law enforcement, my answer is yes, Who my brother, and our good friends ... then they tell me I'm excused... so I have wasted a whole day, sitting around waiting to be excused...
They know this from the online questionnaire.. Why do they make me go in to answer something that they already know in advance, its like it's for show... Why bother making me come in there, when they know that they are going to excuse me. I guess just because you know someone in law enforcement they see as you can not make a unbiased decision and think for yourself.

I would gladly serve, and I would feel it would be a honor to serve...
You should look up the rules/processes of your area and state for Federal cases (although you might have already).

A lot of people, me included until a few years ago, don't really think to look at the qualifications and how it's done but it's worth looking into. Different places have frequency rules, exemption rules, processes with a questionnaire (if one is done), etc. Checking a box may not make you ineligible for every jury trial. In my county for instance being a mother with young children will not make you excused automatically, I remember conversations from the past on here and some places they have an automatic exemption for that. Just random examples.

I get the post card on average every other year for the last 22 years. I have put on standby a few times but when I call again the next morning all cases were settled.

My coworker currently has to call in every evening for a month. She lives in a different county than I do So I don’t know if her county does it differently or if jury duty has changed since the last time I did it but I have only ever had to call in nightly for a week. The only time I had to call for a month was federal jury duty and that was just once a week for the month.

Twice but never had to do anything. The first time I was crammed like sardines into the lobby of our small courthouse where everybody stood for about 45 minutes until they came out and told us all we could go. Second time my boss got me off cause I couldn’t take off work or they would have to close.

I've been called a few times since I moved to New Jersey, but my psychiatrist gives me a letter. I get too nervous and flustered to serve. I reported once and had to be excused because I just couldn't handle it.

Having relatives and friends in law enforcement would not matter in a civil case. When they send the questionnaire and then pick your number they don't know what types of cases will be called your week or day, so law enforcement connections won't automatically disqualify anyone in advance.

On top of that, you should not assume you can never be picked. I was selected and served on the jury for a criminal trial on an illegal gun possession charge even though
  • I'm an attorney
  • with multiple uncles and cousins in law enforcement
  • one of whom was convicted of a crime
  • my father was murdered in a car jacking, and
  • I'm a member of and regular contributor to an organization active in the gun control debate
No matter how much you think they might assume you're biased, unless you know someone involved in the case, there's a chance you will be selected. A lot depends on the individual judge and attorneys involved. You might happen to live in a county where they are extra selective about people with LE ties, but that is not a general automatic rule.

I've been called a few times but never had to actually show up. I got excused for health reasons and now I am past the age that I would be required to serve. They probably would not have chosen me anyway when l told them I do not believe in the jury system.

Been called maybe 4 times- we get called to one of 2 places- one is 10 minutes from me the other is 45-60 away. First time I got called for the one 45 minutes away, I ignored it- second time the one 10 minutes away so I went and was out in like an hour (got paid for the whole day from my job though!). Third time I was called was for the place 45 minutes away and I was working nights- I got off at 6am and was supposed to be there at 9am for a day of jury duty- there was no way I could do that, I would have fallen asleep there so I didn't show up to that one. The last one was when my daughter was 2 and there was a box asking if you had children under the age of 12 so I checked yes and they have not called me since- she is 21 now LOL.

3-4 I’ve had to report. I think I’ve been called once but didn’t need to report.
I did go through the jury selection process once but wasn’t chosen.
For the record, I’m 30.

Myself only once in 2004 and it was grand jury that lasted 3 months. Not every day and only a few whole days. 9 more months and I'll be excused due to my age. Now my wife seems to get called about every 4 years. She's always been excused though. Her next call this coming Monday.

Served twice. Called quite a few times most you call the day before & they are canceled. I got called for a few "drug" type cases and when I said I worked for a Lab the defense would excuse me quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter