Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

For those of you currently there, do you think it's worth coming tomorrow as planned?

We were supposed to be driving up tomorrow for Epcot 10/1 and have an HHN RIP tour for Sunday but we're wondering if it's even worth coming to the resort right now if flooding is bad.

I will the “30” in the calendar is all grayed out for me.
Same. I’ve been updating MDE and the website looking for park hours and by the time I finally saw it posted by someone else on Twitter, all the reservations are gone. We had already made reservations for Saturday but would rather go tomorrow since we’re now supposed to fly home Saturday evening.

Update from Riviera- All was fine here last night and this morning. We got some water under the sliding door so the carpet was pretty wet but nothing towels can’t handle. Topolino’s and Bar Riva remain closed but the Cafe and Primo Piato are open and still serving a full menu. Primo Piato did turn off mobile ordering a few hours ago so you have to go down and get in line like the old days. CMs have been great. Mickey and Daisy were doing the Cupid Shuffle with about 25 kids when we went down a little while ago. Gondolas were being reloaded onto the Skyliner. We were supposed to go to Universal on Wednesday but changed our reservation to stay put and intended to check in there tomorrow and fly home Saturday. However, with the latest updates on limited openings at Universal and uncertainty with the flights, we’ve decided to just reschedule all of that for next month. Refunded our UO tickets (through UT- shocked at the bad service the other DISer received) and canceled our reservation and we are just going to drive our rental car all the way back to New Orleans. There’s 5 of us but it’s a big Yukon and Alamo has waived all fees and says we can return it to any Alamo in the US.

Felt very safe staying here. Other than lack of communications and CMs being told the wrong things initially, it’s been a smoothe stay.
Only thing about the Riviera’s structure- I find the European vibe charming, but that means spaces are small in common areas. Ordinarily that just fits in with the theming. But in a shelter-in-place, it means all the nooks are crammed with kids trying to work out that energy. Also the gym is closed bc the only access is outside. Again it’s a beautiful place but some of the things that make it unique can be a drawback in a storm. Still happy to be in a self-contained building through this.

Also- I thought the picture was artistic.

And the urban and land use planner in me is thrilled with the infrastructure and water retention on Disney property. No standing water near us and everything seemed to work exactly as it was designed to. Round of applause for the designers.
The Connecting With Walt podcast has an episode all about that. The water retention system was originally designed by General Joe Potter. He was with the Army Corp of Engineers for many years before going to work for Walt Disney. He’s the reason that Bay Lake exists.

The Connecting With Walt podcast has an episode all about that. The water retention system was originally designed by General Joe Potter. He was with the Army Corp of Engineers for many years before going to work for Walt Disney. He’s the reason that Bay Lake exists.
I would love to listen to this, any idea how old it is?! Or the name? 245 episodes is a lot to scroll through

Not a ton of detail, but a decent DPB article from awhile back about the waterway/canal system and the cleaning up of Bay Lake (a natural body of water) and the making of the Seven Seas Lagoon (which is man-made). Always cool stuff to read, in my opinion. I’ve always wished I had been around during the whole Vacation Kingdom era.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...g-seven-seas-lagoon-a-waterway-for-the-world/

Spoke with BC front desk and was told the system hasn’t opened for reservations for anyone yet. He said it should by morning, before MK opens.

That would be great if true. But seems odd because reservations are sporadically available. I keep seeing Epcot pop up now and then go away. I have a MK reservation for tomorrow and was trying to change to AK but haven’t seen that one pop up yet. Maybe they will release more.

For those of you currently there, do you think it's worth coming tomorrow as planned?

We were supposed to be driving up tomorrow for Epcot 10/1 and have an HHN RIP tour for Sunday but we're wondering if it's even worth coming to the resort right now if flooding is bad.
Disney isn't really flooded. Universal seems to have some issues but must not be too bad since they are opening tomorrow. We have HHN on Sunday also and are flying in that day as long as the airport opens.

That would be great if true. But seems odd because reservations are sporadically available. I keep seeing Epcot pop up now and then go away. I have a MK reservation for tomorrow and was trying to change to AK but haven’t seen that one pop up yet. Maybe they will release more.
I wonder if they’re working through dropping non resort guests to make room for those checked into resorts or something. Who knows? I’m going to keep refreshing too.

My flight already got delayed tomorrow. I tried to make a park reservation and can’t either.

I would love to listen to this, any idea how old it is?! Or the name? 245 episodes is a lot to scroll through
Here’s a few to check out:
Episode #013
Episode 008 - this one’s all about the creation of the Reedy Creek Improvement District.
Episode 004 - the master plan
Episode 005
Episode 006 and 007
Episode 011 - features lots of info about Joe Fowler, Joe Potter, and Richard Irvine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts