How do you pronounce Caribbean?

We leave on our Disney Magic cruise to the Eastern CaRIBbean Nov 30th!

(but yes it is Pirates of the CaribBEan)

Alright I figured I might as well step in here and set everybody straight since I live on a small speck of land that's surrounded by the.........Carib-BE-an Sea.

Yes, Carib-BE-an is the way most people in the West Indies pronounce it. Whether that's right or wrong, I'm not sure. But the reason most of us pronounce it that way is because the native indians that lived here were called Caribs. And so the Sea was named after them. Carib-BE-an.

Thanks, figmentvi. I was wondering how people who live there say it, and I forgot we had a local right here on the DIS!

It’s CaRIBbean Beach Resort, but it’s Pirates of the CaribBEan.

I'm the same way. I guess it's because whenever anyone seems to talk about POC they always seem to say CaribBEan and so I do too. When I'm talking about the geographical area, it's CaRIBbean :)

So weird! I have never thought of this before. I went on the Disney Magic to the Eastern CaRIBbean and I ride the Pirates of the CaribBEan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!