Horror books

wvjules

DIS Veteran
I'm finishing up The Shining and then want to read Dr. Sleep but in between I want a really scary book. Heart Shaped Box creeped me the heck out so I want something like that. I started NOS4A2 last year but it hasn't quite grabbed me yet. I'm not even 100 pages in so I'm wondering if it will get better. Also, does anyone have any other suggestions along those lines?

Yes, I know about the Book Thread and read it weekly but I am looking for something specific.

BTW, I'm a seasonal reader. Horror/suspense always in the fall. Feel good stories in the winter. Lighter reads (romance-types) in the spring and summer. I do deviate from that occasionally but most of my reading breaks down like that. Who else is a seasonal reader?

Two oldies from Stephen King are really scary: The Stand (although with the Ebola scare, it might hit a little too close to home), and Pet Cemetary. The Hot Zone (nonfiction about Ebola) is terrifying in a different way...

I haven't read any scary stuff in the past few years, so can't recommend any newer books.

I read The Stand already. Based on the list posted and your recommendation, and the reviews, I think SK's Pet Sematary might be the winner. I also might give NOSA42 another try.

I really liked NOS4A2; however, it wasn't that kind of "oh it scared me to death" book. It was kind of creepy, for sure, but I never felt scared. I still liked the book and I think you should stick with it.

I'm a personal fan of It by King but it's more of a nostalgic factor for me (my first horror novel from when I was younger).

I was going to suggest The Stand however... :laughing:

I'm working through his other novels now. Cujo is next on my list! popcorn::

I'm a personal fan of It by King but it's more of a nostalgic factor for me (my first horror novel from when I was younger).

I was going to suggest The Stand however... :laughing:

I'm working through his other novels now. Cujo is next on my list! popcorn::

I read It already too. lol

I read It already too. lol

I figured you had. I don't really find It to be scary though. Still one of favorites either way!

Most fiction novels don't make me squirm. It's reading real life accounts that do. Although it sounds like I need to read Heart-shaped Box.

The Strain by Guillermo del Torro & Chuck Hogan. It creeped me out and scared me and I couldn't put it down!! :thumbsup2

Pet Sematary was the scariest book I ever read. I loved NOS4A2, tho. I started with that and then moved on to Horns and Heart Shaped Box.

When I read "IT" years ago, I slept with the lights on for two weeks - because I could see the bathroom sink from my bed. :rotfl2:

"The Stand" took me completely out of reality so that I was surprised to see people out and walking around healthy. (Been wondering when someone was going to name Ebola Capt. Tripps)

Read "Pet Semetary" one time only - a rarity - I like to be scared over and over. This was too much since I had pets. Nice ones. ;)

Maybe for another time, since you read King, you might try non-scary, history changing :teacher: , bite your nails "11-22-63". I would love someone else to read it so we could talk about it!

Maybe for another time, since you read King, you might try non-scary, history changing :teacher: , bite your nails "11-22-63". I would love someone else to read it so we could talk about it!

I read it when it was first released. Probably one of my all time favorite King books. The Stand will always rule (best book ever) but this was amazing.

WDWBarb - I'm so glad you read it! Agree about The Stand, but 11-22-63 was amazing! That guy really knew his history and when they were in the cab in Dallas? I thought I would fall out of my chair trying to make them go faster!

Hey look! Pennywise! :clown:

11/22/63 is my favorite SK book too.

Just finished The Shining so I'm going to read Dr Sleep, NOS4A2(?), or Pet Sematary. I the Pet Sematary will be the first one.

BTW, The Shining book was sooo much better than the movie!

I have to agree that Salem's Lot was one of the scariest books I've ever read. Number one would have to be The Exorcist.

Sandy

The Strain by Guillermo del Torro & Chuck Hogan. It creeped me out and scared me and I couldn't put it down!! :thumbsup2

I'm going to second The Strain Trilogy. Great!!!!!!!

Heart Shaped Box was scary. Enjoyed it!!!!

The new King, Revival, comes out early November.

I really enjoyed King's Joyland. It's not "scary", but has scary elements. Lovedit. Would love to see it as a movie.

11/22/63 is my favorite SK book too.

Just finished The Shining so I'm going to read Dr Sleep, NOS4A2(?), or Pet Sematary. I the Pet Sematary will be the first one.

BTW, The Shining book was sooo much better than the movie!

Dr Sleep is the continued story of Danny but he's an adult. Very good; I did reread The Shining before reading it which was one of my favorite scary books but hated the movie.

NOS4A2 is pretty slow; an okay story but dragged on way too long. Doesn't have the character development needed for an epic novel. I haven't tried his other books yet.

Pet Sematary is one of the scarier SK books; I thought Misery was also one of the scary ones and it doesn't have supernatural elements.

If you like epics The Talisman & Black House - by SK & Peter Straub are very good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter