It was our first time eating at Satuli and we all really enjoyed it! After lunch we went to Safari which was a 10 minute walk the queue. Lowell was our driver and he was the best driver we have ever had. Lots of animals were out mid day & it was an excellent Safari.
Lowell is a friend of mine, I'll make sure to show him your post :) he used to work at GMR, he loved playing Mugsy
Lowell was our driver in early November and we felt the same ... best driver EVER!! Truly fantastic. We're hoping to get him again when we return next month. I wonder if they've ever had anyone request a driver. :laughing:

We arrived in WDW on Friday and it's been a very surreal experience. We usually come in January's, but even compared to those crowds, it feels like there's so few people in the parks. On Friday, we started at DHS around 2:30pm and rode almost every ride except RoR, ToT, and RRC, with many rides being a walk on. I think the only ride that wasn't was SDD, and it had a listed wait time of 40 mins but actual wait time was 20 mins. Park hopped to Epcot at night and walked onto FEA.

On Saturday, we arrived around 7:45am for a 8am open via bus from Swan. Went to Pandora first and FOP was about a 20 mins wait, and Navi River took the full listed ~35 mins. Safari was a walk on, and so was EE each of the three times we rode it throughout the day. We did FOP again which took around 25 mins midday. We waited a little bit for Dinosaur, but wait time was 40 mins and the line was moving very slowly due to some mechanical issues, so we hopped out of line to ride EE again instead. Navi River almost always had the longest wait in the park, around 40 mins, with Dinosaur close behind, especially after 2pm park hopping hours. Hopped to Epcot again via resort bus (didn't check magic band to confirm PH), and waited in line for Soarin, which was listed at 45 mins but took around 25 min. Living with the Land was a walk on.

Today, we got BG1 for RoR from the hotel room and arrived at DHS around 8:45am via boat for a 9am opening. ToT, RRC, and Star Tours were walk ons. Took it slow since we had been on most rides on Friday. RoR was down first thing in the morning, and when we entered the queue once it was back up, it broke down again, so we were given FP to return. Came back up around 11:30am, so we rode at noon and left DHS.

I'm the planner of the group and actually really enjoy planning FP's and dining reservations, so this has been very different experience, but it's been more relaxing and much easier to "be in the moment" as I'm not worrying about what's coming next. We're staying at the Swan, and having park hoppers for the first time has been fantastic, as there's less pressure to do everything in the parks per day. Never thought I'd say it, but I'm kinda enjoying no FP's, but recognize that this is only because the crowds are so low!

As for safety, everyone will feel different, but we've found mask compliance to be pretty good, although we do see noses peeking out and people walking and eating here and there. It's harder to avoid being around people when walking around, but they're brief. Also love the distances in the queue and people not being in your personal space, but I know those won't last forever!

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm kinda enjoying no FP's, but recognize that this is only because the crowds are so low!
Exactly... We were there several days around NYE and were longing for FP+. Under normal circumstances, we can get 10+ fast passes in a day and rarely, if ever, get in a standby line of over 20 minutes. Very different experience earlier in the month without them.

Random thoughts from our trip,

January 14-22
Split stay AK Jambo/Bay Lake Tower

AK Jambo - we loved the resort but didn't spend enough time here. Shortly before arrival I considered switching to Kindiani because there were no food options at Jambo. We ended up keeping our original reservation because we figured there would be less guest traffic.

Our room was 5583 and waaaaaay down at the end of the building. It was a long walk after a day at the parks.

There was a grab and go option at Mara from 7:30am-11:30am. Light bakery items and beverages. We did have dinner at Sanaa.

Bay Lake Tower - loved everything about this resort. My husband is now interested in adding points here. I have mixed feelings about the theme park/parking lot view. Next time we will probably book a lake view.

Monorail resort bus line/Gold line. We used this one night after dinner at Kona. Happened upon another couple who was also trying to get back to the Contemporary. They were instructed to take the bus to Disney Springs and then get on a Contemporary bus. Sure enough, the resort bus pulled up and we were all on our way.

Safety procedures - I was pleased with the line markings and hand sanitizer stations. The weakest link in all of this was the user. Some guests didn't know if they should be on, behind, in front of the line. Also I think that the CM should emphasize to split your groups between two lines so not to crowd guests in front/behind you.

Mobile ordering - we had never used this before and are now converts. I did notice that for some orders I was not able to customize or buy a la cart items. I didn't press the issue and ordered as is.

Park to park transportation was not available the first part of our stay and then suddenly appeared.

Masks - on our arrival ME bus another guest was not permitted to board with proper mask. She swore that she was not made aware of the requirement. They gave her a disposable mask. Guest adherence was good and I the few infractions I saw were quickly corrected.

Crowds - what crowds? After Monday the crowds vanished. We experienced short waits, walk on rides and didn't feel rushed.

Bus transportation - gone are the days of packed sardines and surrendering your seat for another.

The only issue we had was at EPCOT Park closing. There was a full que line to get back to BLT. I had just remarked that we had not seen any scooters on a bus. It was at that moment a parade pulled up. There were 6 scooters in a row and took multiple busses to load. The driver would load the scooter and their guests and then pull from the que line. There were a number of vocal groups in the que line who were not happy with the loading process especially since they had already been in line.

Disney Springs - too crowded for me. We had drinks and left.

Overall it was a good trip, one of the best. We will be returning with our littles for Spring Break.

I'm going the first week of March - starting in the parks on Sunday Feb 28. I have one park each day and not planning on hopping with the early close times. I'm trying to decide the best days to go to what park. I do rope drop and expect the crowds to be up but not bad yet as most Spring breaks start the next week. I do want to go to DS for Wine Bar George one evening (thinking this would be good on AK day as they close at 5). Flower and Garden starts on my last day March 3 - not set on being there for the festival would rather have lower crowds. Any suggestions?

I'm going the first week of March - starting in the parks on Sunday Feb 28. I have one park each day and not planning on hopping with the early close times. I'm trying to decide the best days to go to what park. I do rope drop and expect the crowds to be up but not bad yet as most Spring breaks start the next week. I do want to go to DS for Wine Bar George one evening (thinking this would be good on AK day as they close at 5). Flower and Garden starts on my last day March 3 - not set on being there for the festival would rather have lower crowds. Any suggestions?
Personally, since you don't want f&g, Id go
Sun - DHS
Mon - Epcot
Tues - AK
We'd - MK

Mainly because hs will be near same crowds every day while the rest are less crowded during the week.

Lowell was our driver in early November and we felt the same ... best driver EVER!! Truly fantastic. We're hoping to get him again when we return next month. I wonder if they've ever had anyone request a driver. :laughing:
Our Last two trips we had the worst drivers we have ever had! Our last trip over Thanksgiving, our driver actually hit the curbs on multiple times causing a few people to get a few bumps. Then she stopped the truck and radioed that she thought she had a flat tire and they sent out another truck to look and if so, to transfer us. but the other driver said the tire was fine and that she should be a more careful operator.

Hello everyone!

Has anyone been recently that has tried to do a mobile order at the contemporary in the AM? My husband has never been to disney so I want to show him the contemporary (where we will stay next trip) but also want to take him to get some mickey waffles!

I know some people say it depends on the employee in the guard shack if they will let you in with a mobile order or not, which is fine. Just want to see if anyone recently had an experience where they got turned away. Just want to see what my chances are to show him a bit of the resort and get his first mickey waffles!

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Has anyone been recently that has tried to do a mobile order at the contemporary in the AM? My husband has never been to disney so I want to show him the contemporary (where we will stay next trip) but also want to take him to get some mickey waffles!

I know some people say it depends on the employee in the guard shack if they will let you in with a mobile order or not, which is fine. Just want to see if anyone recently had an experience where they got turned away. Just want to see what my chances are to show him a bit of the resort and get his first mickey waffles!

Thanks!
If you want to be sure to get in to the CR, take wdw transportation and don’t drive yourselves. Anyone can get in with Disney transportation... that might be your best bet!

Hello everyone!

Thanks!

We did about 2.5 weeks ago without issue.

I'm here at Boulder Ridge from yesterday until Saturday.
Don't ask me about my room, I can see why they are getting a refurb next year.
Don't ask about my scooter rental. I'll be on my 3rd one in 2 days once it's delivered.
Don't ask about the paltry amount of nut butter I received with my chicken and waffles breakfast. :crazy2:
Don't ask me about how I had to schedule a telehealth doctor visit today and about half way through the video call I got notice my boarding group was called for Rise of the Resistance. I'm still at the resort, btw. :sad:
But the people are really nice!
I'm sorry you have had such a frustrating vacation. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me about your scooter? We have 2 reserved from Scooterbug for our April trip and if there are issues with them, I'd like to know ahead of time what to look out for.

Here now. Went to HS yesterday. Got boarding pass at 7 for 80. Arrived in car right at 8 started letting in around 8:05. Right through tapstiles. Went to slinky dog was basically a walk on. Railway walk on. Tower of terror was maybe 15 min wait. RNR was a five minute wait. When we got off that it was about 9. Rode star tours, (walk on) watched muppets, rode MF with a 25 min wait. ROTR was down most of the morning. We had a res for Mama Melrose at 11:30 and it came back on line around then. Rode tsm and saucers after that. Our boarding group got called around 3:10. Rode and left the park. Great day!! I felt like it was somewhat crowded but low waits for everything.

I'm sorry you have had such a frustrating vacation. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me about your scooter? We have 2 reserved from Scooterbug for our April trip and if there are issues with them, I'd like to know ahead of time what to look out for.

Well, last time I reserved a Resort Plus and loved it. It had a lot of pep to it and I could zip around the parks quickly. This last time, I reserved the same type of scooter and whenever it would run, it sounded like the wheel was rubbing against something, so I thought maybe I had overloaded it and should switch to a Resort Plus XL. So I paid to upgrade to the XL and noticed when I put it in reverse....it wouldn't reverse. If I stepped out of it, it would go backwards but with me sitting in it, it was having trouble going backwards. Now this scooter can handle up to 400lbs, so it should have been able to move backwards with someone sitting in it. I called about it and 2 hours later another scooter was dropped off. This one just didn't seem to have the zip and pep like the Resort Plus did. It got me around, but not as quickly as I would have liked. At the end of the day, the battery was about into the red zone.

I'm going to try again in March because I really like the convenience of picking up and dropping off at Bell Services instead of having to wait on someone.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I have not seen anyone talking about going on the “Smuggler’s Run” ride at Hollywood Studios. Is it not running right now?
Thank you so much!

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I have not seen anyone talking about going on the “Smuggler’s Run” ride at Hollywood Studios. Is it not running right now?
Thank you so much!
Walked on 3 times last week. There were 2 of us and we were rode alone each time.

So the crowds at HS are pretty much the same during the week as they are on weekends? I was planning HS for a Thurs. But I'm considering moving it to a Sun. We're coming in late April

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter