Helpful Information For You Updated 03/30/2012

I have found this thread very helpful and in fact just came on to find it and link it to our cruise meet thread. We have sevaral families staying in the port area over night and this thread is MUST reading!

Thanks again Shirley! Oh and if you have a second... Check out my Siggy :rolleyes1

Laura,
WDWLVR was kind enough to make it a sticky on the top of the page with other information that cruisers should know - sometimes this is the way I find it to add more info to it.
I am not quite finish with information as I am trying to put myself in someone's shoes that either has never been here before or those not quite familiar with Brevard County and to be in a strange place can be kinda scary so with all the info put together in one place, it can be printed out, copied, etc so when those coming here, can have something to look back on.
Thanks for all your help.
Always
Shirley

Shirley--I am curious about something--you offer such great advice for those traveling down your way---how many cruises have you been on yourself? Which cruise line was your best experience?

Hi Shirley, question for you about car rental. Where you the one who was looking into the trouble some folks were having renting through Avis or Budget? I thought I read about folks not happy with their service and you were going to speak with the owner? What was the final outcome? I need to rent and want an easy experience. Getting from Mco and driving it to port and then off the boat back to mco.

Thanks

Shirley--can you notate which car rental facility is at Country Inn and Suites. I thought it was Hertz but cannot remember. Noticed it driving up by the port a couple of weeks ago. Was trying to think of it for my sister since they will be dropping off a rental for our cruise, but for the life of me, it escapes me.

Also another kids thing---by cocoa village, if they are still functioning...can't remember the name of the part, but beautiful and they have the play fountains like at DTD.

Hi Shirley, question for you about car rental. Where you the one who was looking into the trouble some folks were having renting through Avis or Budget? I thought I read about folks not happy with their service and you were going to speak with the owner? What was the final outcome? I need to rent and want an easy experience. Getting from Mco and driving it to port and then off the boat back to mco.
Thanks

I did speak to Bob Fink who owns Avis and he had promised to look into the posted that I had printed out and was sincerely upset that folks were having problems, but he did say, he would get any and all problems resolved. I just dropped him a note to call me today - I really have a lot of faith that Bob has resolved any forthcoming problems. I will post what he says when he writes me back today - he is super good about that and I still stand by Avis simply due to the fact that if we get into the trouble we had in 2004, he would come through again without no problem or thought.

Now answering this question
Shirley--I am curious about something--you offer such great advice for those traveling down your way---how many cruises have you been on yourself? Which cruise line was your best experience?

When I was a little girl, I "cruised" between Key West and Cuba monthly and our only way to get between both was a small ferry boat - needless to say that no matter how calm the water was, I would get so seasick that it seemed like I was going to die during "those" days in the late 30's and early 40's and there was nothing for seasickness except to suck on a cold key lime. As I got older, I did start taking cruises out of Port Canaveral with my girlfriends and realized I can do this and loved it. Norm has cruised everywhere and his most favorite cruise was going for 4 weeks to Bali, Thailand, etc. We are hoping to go to Alaska next year if our health keeps up and this will be the furthest for me. Being a business owner, its so hard to get away for a long time so will see. Thanks for asking.

Anyhow hope the hints I have posted here will help everyone for any reason that they come here to Brevard County.
Blessings always
Shirley

Shirley--can you notate which car rental facility is at Country Inn and Suites. I thought it was Hertz but cannot remember. Noticed it driving up by the port a couple of weeks ago. Was trying to think of it for my sister since they will be dropping off a rental for our cruise, but for the life of me, it escapes me.
Also another kids thing---by cocoa village, if they are still functioning...can't remember the name of the part, but beautiful and they have the play fountains like at DTD.

Hertz Car Rental moved into their new place in May 07, which is front to The Residence Inn in Cape Canaveral.

Also the park in Cocoa Village, is called Taylor Park and it is super for kids and adults. They do have a water fountain that is located on the East side of the park where the kids and adults can go and get soaked by the water spouts.
At Lee Werner park which is right accross the street from Taylor Park is great also - in fact here is some facts about it:

At the north end of the river walk and next to the bridge to Merritt Island is a 12-acre community river park with an active 4-lane boat launch site and a T shape dock for day boat visitors to tie to. On site is a The Coast Guard Auxiliary Building that also features a meeting room available to rent. There is a large pavilion w/ barbeque pit, picnic tables, rest rooms and playground are conveniently situated for group activity. A section of the old bridge was preserved to create a 500' pier allowing fishing out over the Indian River.

When I first moved to Brevard County, to get to Merritt Island, we had to go over a very shaky wooden bridge but my kids loved it and since all the bridges between Key West and the mainland were all wooden, it was a taste of "being home" for me. The kids and I were there watching when the bridge was blown apart to be replaced with Hubert Humphrey Bridge.

Cocoa Village is a great place to visit and relax and they have excellent restaurants, sandwich shop and awesome ice cream including an Amish Ice Cream parlor.
Always
Shirley

there is more updates and stuff to do and places to go.
Always
Shirley

Shirley,

The big thing for my ds last year was to buy some shark teeth--couldn't find any. Even at Sea World! Is there a place in cocoa beach that sells them so we can make a point to stop and buy some??

Thanks!

I hear that there are secret cat 7 staterooms on the magic is this true? Does anyone know what rooms they are? I guess they are really cat 5 or 6 but they have an obstructed verranda so they are now a cat 7.:)

Shirley,

The big thing for my ds last year was to buy some shark teeth--couldn't find any. Even at Sea World! Is there a place in cocoa beach that sells them so we can make a point to stop and buy some??
Thanks!

I am almost positive that I know of 3 places that do have them in Cocoa Beach. I will check for you tomorrow and let you know. My children use to collect them ALL the time on the beach here, but due to all the storms, replacement of the sand, they are very few and far between THANK GOODNESS - I would like to think those babies are WAY OUT to sea :rotfl2:
Always
Shirley

:love: Thanks for the info Shirley....I did post another thanks a while ago but it went to another post. Now figure that one out:confused3 Hope that I don't loose this thread.:goodvibes

Thanks for checking on the shark teeth Shirley!!! That would be way cool if we could just find some while we are on the beach, but if not it would be nice if we could buy some elsewhere.

Thanks for checking on the shark teeth Shirley!!! That would be way cool if we could just find some while we are on the beach, but if not it would be nice if we could buy some elsewhere.

As I said at one time, the kids did use to find them quite a bit inlcuding sand dollars etc, but unfortuntly with hurricanes and so much beach loss, it would be so rare. Anyhow I will get back to you today.

Also for those that forget to bookmark this thread, Mary was kind enough to make it a sticky on the FAQ thread at the beginning.

I have a lot more to add so we aren't finish yet and when you come over here, not much will be a surprise.
Have a great weekend everybody
always
Shirley and Norm

Shirley,

Thanks!

Here is the information you needed:
The best place to get all sizes shark's teeth is at BeachWave - they have 3 stores, but the one with more selections is located on the corner of North Atlantic Avenue and Hiway 520 - their address is 185 W. Cocoa Beach Csway and phone number is 321-783-1848. The prices start at $1.99 on up.
Always
Shirley

Here is the information you needed:
The best place to get all sizes shark's teeth is at BeachWave - they have 3 stores, but the one with more selections is located on the corner of North Atlantic Avenue and Hiway 520 - their address is 185 W. Cocoa Beach Csway and phone number is 321-783-1848. The prices start at $1.99 on up.
Always
Shirley

Thanks Shirley--where is this from Best Western Oceanfront?? Distance wise.

Thanks!

Thanks Shirley--where is this from Best Western Oceanfront?? Distance wise.
Thanks!

There is one right in front of the Best Western and next door to the Omelet Station, but I don't know if they would have them there - the one that I posted about is about 1/2 mile South of the BW. David has 3 stores, the first one is the one that I posted about on Hway 520, the 2nd is the one by BW and the 3rd is further South across from the Holiday Inn. Try the one by BW first or they will go get them for you from store #1.
Hope this will help
Always
Shirley

I have added information on the Radisson about their rooms for those that are interested in what will fit your needs - will try to get to the other hotels to get their information and as I do, will keep editing and adding on.
Always
just me

UPDATES on best viewing places if you are ever here for a launch.
always
me
What else do you need to see on here?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter