Help! School Troubles!

Here is your school district's site

http://www.loganview.org/vnews/display.v?page=vlist_signup

They don't have much.

I just found this too. I don't see anything on here regarding school policies. I am now looking for OSHA guidelines as far as the clean-up and at the family education rights and privacy act of 1974 in regards to sharing that girls info with my DS. Don't know where to look as far as the lunch area problems. I do have a note from his pediatrician to take. Thanks for taking the time to send me that link! I appreciate your help!

That is the most stupid lunch rule I have ever heard of! Don't the other parents get upset about it, if their kid doesn't finish they can't have recess.

Look and see if you have a recess rule, I think by us they have to have so many minutes a day in recess. I could be wrong. Also at the start of each year we get a student handbook.

Dear cindermomma and all the other parents who HAVE to advocate for our children,

I am always hesitant to respond to these types of threads, only because we are so fortunate to be in a school district that goes the extra 10 miles for their students. My oldest DD13 is a Type 1 diabetic, as well as, dealing with ADD and possibly Tourette's Syndrome. I don't say all this to brag, but there are school districts in this U.S. that care for the kids and all the kids, not just those who require extra attention.

I bleed inside for all the kids and parents who have to fight an uphill battle to be treated humanely, let alone ethically, by those people who have chosen to step into the teaching profession, me being one! I wish all the teachers could be attentive, loving, funny, strict and educational. Yes we have had a few bumps in Katie's (DD13) education, but for the most part they have been few and far between!

As other PPs have said, YOU must stand in the gap for your child. We can't be pulling our kids out in search of that magical Disneyworld school, but we and they deserve to be treated with the care and compassion everyone should have.

So, not much wisdom or constructive advise, but know that we parents who only want the best enviroment in which our kids can grow and bloom, support you 100%! You are OUR hero!

You have gotten a lot of good advice. You are the best advocate for your son and what he is going through is unexcusable. Why in the he** is a secretary getting involved and why in the he** is she pulling him out of class? As for the required eating, that is also ridiculous. I have never heard of that in my life. I am sending big hugs, this will get better but only with your help.

Dear cindermomma and all the other parents who HAVE to advocate for our children,

I am always hesitant to respond to these types of threads, only because we are so fortunate to be in a school district that goes the extra 10 miles for their students. My oldest DD13 is a Type 1 diabetic, as well as, dealing with ADD and possibly Tourette's Syndrome. I don't say all this to brag, but there are school districts in this U.S. that care for the kids and all the kids, not just those who require extra attention.

I bleed inside for all the kids and parents who have to fight an uphill battle to be treated humanely, let alone ethically, by those people who have chosen to step into the teaching profession, me being one! I wish all the teachers could be attentive, loving, funny, strict and educational. Yes we have had a few bumps in Katie's (DD13) education, but for the most part they have been few and far between!

As other PPs have said, YOU must stand in the gap for your child. We can't be pulling our kids out in search of that magical Disneyworld school, but we and they deserve to be treated with the care and compassion everyone should have.

So, not much wisdom or constructive advise, but know that we parents who only want the best enviroment in which our kids can grow and bloom, support you 100%! You are OUR hero!

Words cannot say how much your post touched my heart. Encouragement from my husband, and great friends like you, help this battle. I love my little guy more than anything and I will do whatever it takes to make sure he is safe, and happy, and school. With all my heart, I want to thank you for such a lovely reply to me.

I am so glad to hear about your daughter's school. It sounds wonderful. :goodvibes Our school would be very lucky to have such fine people attending and teaching at our school.

Thank you again for taking the time to give me your support. It amazes me everyday how people I have never seen with my eyes could be some of the best supporters and friends I have! :grouphug:

I think someone posted that this might could be considered a disability and this is what I was going to suggest also. You need to talk to whoever at the school is in charge of making sure that the school follows IDEA law. I use to work at an area college with students with disabilities, but never in the public school system. But it sounds like to me that your son is being discriminated against simply because of his health issues. And health issues are a very valid disability issue. He should have an IEP (Individualize Education Plan) written up not only to include the inhaler issues but also include that he should be allowed to not eat everything in his lunch if he doesn't feel like he can without throwing up. If the school doesn't help, then maybe contact your area Vocational Rehabilitation Office, they might be able to asset you with the disability aspect of it.

I wish you luck and thanks for sharing your story. My son who is 2 and a half has similar issues, that I might have to face when he starts school. He is on singular and it seems to help. He might now only throw up once a month, where it use to be 2 times a week.

Bottom line you son deserves to be treated like everyone else and not be punished for something he has no control over.

Good Luck.

The school nurse just called me and she said she will be speaking with our principal about DS's lunch issues. After I calmly explained everything to her and said that I am prepared to have a meeting with all my information, it seemed like she was going to be on our side. She said she will be getting back to me today after she speaks with him. I told her, I did not want the lunch attendants going through my son's lunch anymore when he leaves the lunch area. He is finished when he is finished. I also told her I have a doctors note backing up his gag reflux issues.(told her this 3x now). We have parent techer conferences tomorrow and I am tracking down the principal to discuss (again) the vomit issues and lack of response of his inhaler medication. I am going to tell him that I need to be assured of my son't safety at school. I really think I am on the right track! I will post what happens today when she calls back.

I personally think someone needs to challenge their eat everything rule. I mean talk about setting kids up for obesity!

ITA!!

:hug: for you mama, i wouldn't even know what to do, i don't even have kids (yet) but i know i would be completely b.s. if this was happening in my kids school.

The school nurse just called me and she said she will be speaking with our principal about DS's lunch issues. After I calmly explained everything to her and said that I am prepared to have a meeting with all my information, it seemed like she was going to be on our side. She said she will be getting back to me today after she speaks with him. I told her, I did not want the lunch attendants going through my son's lunch anymore when he leaves the lunch area. He is finished when he is finished. I also told her I have a doctors note backing up his gag reflux issues.(told her this 3x now). We have parent techer conferences tomorrow and I am tracking down the principal to discuss (again) the vomit issues and lack of response of his inhaler medication. I am going to tell him that I need to be assured of my son't safety at school. I really think I am on the right track! I will post what happens today when she calls back.

:goodvibes I just wanted to say good luck.

What I don't get is how they can command what children eat! 1 item left on their plate?? Give me a break! If a kid isn't hungry, don't force the food down their throat! That's a main factor to childhood obesity! If they are full, they shouldn't have to finish what is on their tray! Don't punish them because they don't want to eat any more or bring their own lunch. My six year old barely eats enough to feed a cat - but she's full. i don't make her eat more, just because there's stuff still left on her plate. That really makes me mad that they do that! I pack my kids lunches with what they will eat.

There are OSHA policies that must be followed for clean-up of bodily fluids. They are very specific. Every employee in our school system has to watch a video about it every year. Perhaps you could mention that to the school adminstrators.

That's why bio-hazard bags are made - for bodily fluid?!?! The area needs to be bleached with a bleach and water solution and everything needs to be put into a special bag, just like with blood. Him cleaning it up himself is just unacceptable!!!

That's why bio-hazard bags are made - for bodily fluid?!?! The area needs to be bleached with a bleach and water solution and everything needs to be put into a special bag, just like with blood. Him cleaning it up himself is just unacceptable!!!

Good point, you might consider an OSHA complaint, they should investigate, school just isn't followint proper procedure, let alone considering the child's feelings!

As both a parent and a teacher I just wanted to chime in and say I am so sorry that you are going through all this. :hug: I think that everyone has already chimed in with everything that is just SO WRONG about the situations. Good luck and stay strong. :thumbsup2

I can't believe they are forcing the kids to eat. I'd go all kinds of livid if this was my kid and school, including trying to get the local media involved and dragging a lawyer in if needed. It's not humane to force feed children. What's next toliet checks to verify the children are doing that as well?

I am a frequent visitor of the boards but do not write much...that being said I did become upset when I read the original post. As a new mother (DD is 6 months old) I would be very upset if my child was told to clean up their vomit. As a school psychologist I am appalled that was asked of the child, especially in front of his peers. This can make an already difficult situation worse and cause embarrassment and impact self-esteem (no flame please, just my opinion). Anyway, it sounds to me that your child as significant medical issues that are impacting his education and social experiences. I would look into requesting a 504 Accommodation Plan for your child. I am unclear of the laws of your state but this is a federal law therefore it applies to all states, but maybe interpreted differently.

Hello friends. Well, my DH and I talked to the principal yesterday. This whole time the school nurse and secretary (again don't know why she is involved at all!:rolleyes: ) said they were speaking to him about this and he said my DS had to eat..blah blah..After talking to him, it seemed he had no idea what I was talking about! :confused3 He has been gone quite a bit due to Chemotherapy. I had told the Superindant about the vomit issue and been talking with the school nurse about the lunch issue. We explained everything to the principal. Things could not have went better. He had no idea what had taken place and he seemed visibly upset by this. He apologized for their "grave mistakes" and said the year has not gotten off to a good start for us. He asked what we wanted.
We told him 1) My DS's asthma plan should NEVER be ignored. He needs to be monitored and given his inhaler and then call me. This is the biggest #1 issue - his medical well-being. 2) DS should be able to eat what he wants and then be able to leave the lunchroom without the lunch ladies raiding his lunch bag and telling him to eat more to go to recess. I provided the Dr. note for this. The principal said "Done". and 3) DS will never again be told to clean up his vomit.
We told him that we found it incredible that the school nurse and secretary have been battling me about this for an entire week. Pulling him out of class (he didn't know this either), and phoning me almost daily that DS needs to follow the rules. All the while NUMEROUS health codes and moral codes were broken the day he vomitted and his asthma was ignored - he was told to go clean instead of being monitored and given his meds.
The principal seemed to be upset by hearing all this. He said "done" with lunch and acted like it was no big deal...like we thought the whole time. This principal has helped us before with DS (trying to keep windows closed as long as possible due to allergies, ect.) I truly feel DS's best interests are in his heart (as are the other kiddos). Like I said, the principal has been gone ALOT due to chemo. I honestly don't think they had told him a thing about the lunch and I know they didn't tell him about the vomit as he told me they did not. I went into the office today to give him another Dr.'s note for DS's file and the secretary would not even look at me, so it seems that maybe things were already said to them from the principal.
I hope I didn't lose anybody here with my rambling! I also hope I didn't forget anything. I felt better leaving that meeting. I felt that he cared and was going to help DS. I threw in the conversation about the childhood obesity rate (about eating all the lunch), so maybe I have helped other kiddos as well. He seemed to not know too much about how the lunch room is ran and I encouraged him to sit in the boot camp, I mean lunch room, and see how things are ran. I also told him that DS's Dr. (who I talked with again Friday) was so upset about things, she wrote a note for DS to eat at home everyday until they change their policies. He said he didn't want DS to have to do that and that we can work this out.
If I think of anything I forgot, I will add it. Thank you all for your support and your ears. It is so nice talking to other parents who listen, sympathize, encourage and support me! :surfweb: Thanks for your comments of encouragement and ideas of what to do and say. I hope nothing like this happens to any of your kiddos. If anyone ever needs my ears and support, I am always here.:grouphug:

OMG, I am so glad things have finally been figured out!! Yay for you!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MOTHER WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:goodvibes :goodvibes
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

A little late to post but I can't tell you how much your post affected me. As a very active parent and a substitute (one day a REAL one) teacher :) I would lose it if my child was treated in the ways you described. If I hadn't worked so much as a sub at DD's school I would be calling right now to check on lunch policies b/c that is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard! I thought the clean plate club being a bad thing was common knowledge by now! Also the sheer horror of telling an elementary schooler to clean up their own vomit! I can't imagine, I have serious issues w/ that and I would have broken down had I been that child. Who would make a child that age ever clean up after themselves like that! If DD or DS gets sick one of us calms her down and makes her comfortable while the other parent cleans up if we are both home, if it's just me I do both. A child shouldn't have to clean up something like that when they are feeling fine much less when they aren't feeling great. I physically wouldn't have been able to do it and am amazed at your son's strength and dignity to be able to do so.

I'm so glad you spoke to the principal and got everything straightened out for your child I truly hope that you don't encounter any further problems. I would still talk to other parents about the lunch policy or the teacher if you are on friendly terms. It's awful what they are doing to those children. There is a child ad DD's school who is very obese, she is younger than DD and can't wear normal children's clothes. She wears adult size baby tees and stretchy pants. Every day her parents pick her up and they both also have weight issues and every day they have a giant drink from McDonald's, every day. She rushes up to them, grabs the 40-something oz. soda and drains half of it before they leave the school. I try so hard not to be judgemental, I have weight problems too. But it's so hard when you see that and imagine the calories and sugar she is consuming in beverages alone. /tangent sorry.

I make DD and DS try everything on their plates once and then eat until they are full. Some nights I try to encourage them to eat more of a specific thing (usually a veggie they are offended by) but they are healthy happy and growing well according to their dr. so why push it by stuffing them like thanksgiving turkeys for no reason. I've gotten now so that I can guesstimate their portion sizes based on their personalities but some days they aren't as hungry as others and some days they want seconds and we just go with the flow. We do make them wait 15 minutes between helpings though, I think if I had understood my full signals better at a young age I may not have the problems I have now with weight.

Best of luck to you and your family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter