Help and advice needed, please!!

prgal0715

Disney Princess-in-Training
Hi everyone,

My mother has recently been diagnosed with acute leukemia and, given her age and other medical conditions, it's not treatable. She's decided she wants to go to Disney World one last time so we've whipped together a quick trip in mid-September. Because of the leukemia and another, unrelated condition, she's not mobile and needs to use a wheelchair at all times. So I am here to ask: would my mother be eligible for DAS? If so, how does it work? I understand she would have to complete a video call with a CM, but I'm otherwise completely unfamiliar.

I appreciate any insight you can provide.

Post #1 of this thread explains DAS. No need to read the rest, the first post is kept up-to-date.

Other than using the wheelchair through the queues, does your mom have any other issues with being in a standard queue environment? If all she needs is to use the wheelchair, she would not qualify for DAS. The vast majority of queues are mainstreamed, meaning a standard wheelchair or ECV can go through the queue with those walking. For queues that have stairs or otherwise aren't accessible, she will be directed accordingly.

If she has issues in the queue other than using the wheelchair, that is what you/she will need to discuss when requesting DAS. And you may need to explain how the wheelchair will not solve the other problems.

Sorry to hear.
We took my mom on a last trip before she died of colon cancer a few years ago. We pushed her in a wheelchair (we are used to traveling with our daughter who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, so pushing another wheelchair was no big deal to us).
A couple things to add to the advice from lanejudy:
1) Plan your day based on when she’s usually at her best. For some people, that’s first thing in the morning. For others, they need a few hours to stretch, chill out, rest from getting ready before they have the energy to be out for the day.

2) Let her know that you can stop and rest whoever she (or anyone else) needs to - try to keep your planning fluid so there is no worry about missing planned events. If she’s tired enough that she needs to lie down for a while, each park has a First Aid station - just let them know what you need.

3) If she’s unsteady and/or needs assistance in the restroom, each park has Companion Restrooms. They are single stall restrooms with a toilet, sink and enough space for a wheelchair and someone to assist. They are marked on the park maps for Guests with Disabilities, which you can pick up a the park map kiosks or from Guest Relations.

4) Guests can get free ice water from any quick service restaurant just by asking. You might want to check out menus for the different restaurants - in order to do it on My Disney Experience app, you need to ‘pretend’ to be Mobile Ordering, then the menu will show up.
Mobile Ordering is a good way to shorten your wait in line for food. Some of the places won’t let you in to sit at a table until you have your order.

5) If she’s better with small snacks or foods she’s familiar with, you can carry in food or drink - just not in glass.

6) The effort of getting in and out of ride cars adds up. With my daughter, we try to not do too many ‘must transfer’ rides in a row. We alternate them with shows or attractions where she can stay in her wheelchair. There are not a lot of attractions with wheelchair accessible ride cars, but each park has some. Posts 18-22 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has more info - see the posts stuck to the top of the board or follow the link in my signature.

7) Plan ahead what she wants to do. In my mom’s case, she just wanted to go to EPCOT, not even to go on any rides. We bought her a one day ticket, but could have added additional day(s) as long as we did it before leaving the park on the day the ticket was used. It’s a bit more complicated now with needing to have park reservations, but still might be doable.

8) Expect that she might get tired all of a sudden. Even sitting up in a wheelchair can be exhausting for someone with little energy reserve. If she needs to go back to the room, she may need to rest in First Aid to have enough energy for the trip back to your resort. Plan ahead who will go back with her - some people are worried about ‘spoiling everyone else’s fun’ and would do better knowing what will happen if they need to leave or rest.

I’ll post more if I think of more

Sorry to hear.
We took my mom on a last trip before she died of colon cancer a few years ago. We pushed her in a wheelchair (we are used to traveling with our daughter who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, so pushing another wheelchair was no big deal to us).
A couple things to add to the advice from lanejudy:
1) Plan your day based on when she’s usually at her best. For some people, that’s first thing in the morning. For others, they need a few hours to stretch, chill out, rest from getting ready before they have the energy to be out for the day.

2) Let her know that you can stop and rest whoever she (or anyone else) needs to - try to keep your planning fluid so there is no worry about missing planned events. If she’s tired enough that she needs to lie down for a while, each park has a First Aid station - just let them know what you need.

3) If she’s unsteady and/or needs assistance in the restroom, each park has Companion Restrooms. They are single stall restrooms with a toilet, sink and enough space for a wheelchair and someone to assist. They are marked on the park maps for Guests with Disabilities, which you can pick up a the park map kiosks or from Guest Relations.

4) Guests can get free ice water from any quick service restaurant just by asking. You might want to check out menus for the different restaurants - in order to do it on My Disney Experience app, you need to ‘pretend’ to be Mobile Ordering, then the menu will show up.
Mobile Ordering is a good way to shorten your wait in line for food. Some of the places won’t let you in to sit at a table until you have your order.

5) If she’s better with small snacks or foods she’s familiar with, you can carry in food or drink - just not in glass.

6) The effort of getting in and out of ride cars adds up. With my daughter, we try to not do too many ‘must transfer’ rides in a row. We alternate them with shows or attractions where she can stay in her wheelchair. There are not a lot of attractions with wheelchair accessible ride cars, but each park has some. Posts 18-22 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has more info - see the posts stuck to the top of the board or follow the link in my signature.

7) Plan ahead what she wants to do. In my mom’s case, she just wanted to go to EPCOT, not even to go on any rides. We bought her a one day ticket, but could have added additional day(s) as long as we did it before leaving the park on the day the ticket was used. It’s a bit more complicated now with needing to have park reservations, but still might be doable.

8) Expect that she might get tired all of a sudden. Even sitting up in a wheelchair can be exhausting for someone with little energy reserve. If she needs to go back to the room, she may need to rest in First Aid to have enough energy for the trip back to your resort. Plan ahead who will go back with her - some people are worried about ‘spoiling everyone else’s fun’ and would do better knowing what will happen if they need to leave or rest.

I’ll post more if I think of more
This is so incredibly helpful. Thank you.

Welcome to the boards! I wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your mom's condition, but I hope you are able to make it a wonderful and memorable trip that brings joy to you all. My thoughts are with you!

September can be hot. We like to go at rope drop and cut out by 1 pm. Then have a nap at the resort. Others can enjoy the pool. Everyone doesn't have to go back to the resort. Return to the park for the evening after your nap. Usually, we do two meals a day. Breakfast is a must. We like to do dinner at the resort before returning to the park. Consider a mid trip break day and skip the parks.

Make sure your mom stays well hydrated even if it means more restroom trips.

I would consider getting a photo package for the memories.

Absolutely, alternate rides and shows.

For rides where you need to transfer out of the wheelchair we use one person to go first and help the wheelchair person into the ride. Also, some one behind them to make sure they don't fall if they lose their balance or whatever.

Last edited:

Definitely do Memory Maker and possibly Capture Your Moment session. I hope you all have a wonderful trip with many magical memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter