Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are on track - keep the faith:). With no 15 and unders allowed to vaccinate yet, we are at 43.6% of the country vaccinated with at least 1 dose (which represents 55.4% of 18+)...we can't vaccinate 15% more in a day, but give us another 8 weeks or so, and you should be very happy with where we are, whether or not the 12-15s are approved by then (and they should be, so we'll get to 70%+ possibly even faster)...

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations
Anxiously awaiting appoval for 12-15 year olds so I get youngest DD vaccinated. I hope we hear from FDA soon on this. Everyone else in the house is done. I’ll feel better when we can get her taken care of.

It’s the long term effects which can’t be known.

This isn't a drug that people take every day for a long time or anything like that. So there likely won't be any.

https://www.muhealth.org/our-storie...d-19-vaccine-wont-have-long-term-side-effects
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/safety-of-vaccines.html
Long-term side effects are unlikely
Serious side effects that could cause a long-term health problem are extremely unlikely following any vaccination, including COVID-19 vaccination. Vaccine monitoring has historically shown that side effects generally happen within six weeks of receiving a vaccine dose. For this reason, the FDA required each of the authorized COVID-19 vaccines to be studied for at least two months (eight weeks) after the final dose. Millions of people have received COVID-19 vaccines, and no long-term side effects have been detected.

CDC continues to closely monitor the safety of COVID-19 vaccines. If scientists find a connection between a safety issue and a vaccine, FDA and the vaccine manufacturer will work toward an appropriate solution to address the specific safety concern (for example, a problem with a specific lot, a manufacturing issue, or the vaccine itself).

Last edited:
Well, we know the virus is causing many long term effects. Some people experience enlarged hearts or damaged lungs or kidneys. About 1 in 4 people who test positive for COVID-19 end up with cognitive issues or mental health issues. The long-term effects of the virus can be devastating. The vaccine is a much safer choice! There's no way I'd choose the virus knowing what we know about its long term effects.

Where are you reading this info? If 80% of Covid + are asymptomatic which is what I've read, where does the 1 in 4 have long term issues come from..?

Reporting back on his. - Sore arm and kind of tired the day after, and ran a slight fever yesterday, but said he felt OK.

Scratch that - he just woke up with chills and vomiting. Poor kid. ☹

Afternoon update - doing much better. 😃 Hopefully it was just a quick thing and not part of an up and down cycle. Fingers crossed!
So, how long after the vax did your DS experience the vomiting/chills? Asking bc my young adult DD and DS just got their 2nd Pfizer this afternoon and I know younger persons sometimes react differently than older ones.
DH and I got our 2nd Friday. He was fine. I had chills, fever, body aches for a few hours during the night but that was all.

It actually wasn't rushed. Remember when there was the SARS outbreak about 10 years ago? They began developing a vaccine for it then. SARS is a type of coronavirus like COVID-19. So, vaccine developers used their work on the SARS vaccine but updated it for the COVID-19 virus.

For the mRNA vaccines it's really a matter of knowing the genetic sequence of the target virus. Once they had the genetic sequence of the virus, they just used a computer program to create several vaccine candidates.

The other vaccines use different technologies though. I heard they took a bit longer to develop vaccine candidates.

Where are you reading this info? If 80% of Covid + are asymptomatic which is what I've read, where does the 1 in 4 have long term issues come from..?

Here you go. I guess the rate is actually higher... 1 in 3 people have lasting cognitive issues after COVID.

1 in 3 Covid-19 Patients are Diagnosed with a Neuropsychiatric Condition in the Next Six Months, Large Study Finds https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/06...neuropsychiatric-diagnosis-within-six-months/

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health...tion-in-the-next-six-months-large-study-finds

Last edited:
Nope. Me nor any of my family have gotten the vaccine nor do we plan to. I'll reconsider the issue in 5 years.

You have a choice now between the virus or the vaccine. If you wait 5 years, you're choosing the virus. The virus is dangerous. We know it's killing 1 out of 56 people who test positive for it. We know that patients who survive COVID-19 initially have a 60% increased risk of death for 6 months afterwards. We know that 1 in 3 survivors are diagnosed with a cognitive or mental health disorder.

The other choice is the vaccine. The vaccines have been used safely billions of times. If enough people get them, we can actually achieve herd immunity where the virus can't spread in a community! It helps protect YOU and also the people around you. Think of someone who love who has had cancer, diabetes, or Downs Syndrome. You'll be helping protect their life by getting a shot! Just this weekend, I was able to visit my cousin who has Downs Syndrome for the first time because she and I are both vaccinated. About 80% of people with Downs Syndrome who catch COVID-19 die from it, so she had to be completely locked down for the last year. I sang to her and held her hand, and that human contact made all the difference in the world to her. Vaccines made it happen.

I'm just saying... your decision to choose the virus is dangerous. Consider choosing life.

Here you go. I guess the rate is actually higher... 1 in 3 people have lasting cognitive issues after COVID.

1 in 3 Covid-19 Patients are Diagnosed with a Neuropsychiatric Condition in the Next Six Months, Large Study Finds https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/06...neuropsychiatric-diagnosis-within-six-months/

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health...tion-in-the-next-six-months-large-study-finds
I'm actually surprised that you used to pbs story to make this point. It basically discredits the title very quickly. It starts by saying that only 1 in 8 were newly diagnosed with for the first time. Then, later in the article it states that for the newly diagnosed patients, other stressors may be at play if the patient knows they have covid. Then, it says for the other 7 in 8 people that have been previously diagnosed with a neuropsychiatric condition, they can't say if these people would have another diagnosis regardless of covid status. And, it says that patients with covid might be more likely to have a neurological and psychiatric disorder diagnosed simply because they were receiving more medical attention compared to patients with the flu or other respiratory problems. Also, in the article, an assistant professor in the division of neuro-infectious diseases at Mount Sinai sounded caution stating that strokes are fairly uncommon with covid and she doesn't want people thinking that it is even 1 in 10 people that it happens to.

I'm not saying there are not some neuropsychiatric effects in some people, but I don't think it's nearly 1 in 3. There are too many other factors at play to know. And, this article would do little to convince someone to get the vaccine if they are hesitant.

So, how long after the vax did your DS experience the vomiting/chills? Asking bc my young adult DD and DS just got their 2nd Pfizer this afternoon and I know younger persons sometimes react differently than older ones.
DH and I got our 2nd Friday. He was fine. I had chills, fever, body aches for a few hours during the night but that was all.

About 2 1/2 days. He got the vaccine late in the afternoon on a Wednesday, and the chills and vomiting weren't until early Saturday morning. He felt OK Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, but was extra tired Sunday night. He was back to normal on Monday (5 days post-vax).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter