Have I Vented About This Before??? Re: Customer Service and "Authorized Contacts"

I have a debit card that has *most* of the signature strip completely gone from the back. It looks extremely suspicious, but I'm too cheap to pay for a new card before the expiration date. :) I am always thankful when a cashier asks me for photo ID, which happens VERY rarely, unfortunately. This tells me that at least the cashier has an interest in making sure the right person is using the card.

I would say it's a pretty good bet that when a cashier asks you for a second ID, she's not thinking of company profits and Credit card company fees and what not. I know that when I was a cashier for 15 years I would ask for an ID for an unsigned card because it was the right thing to do. Some people cranked about it, but I don't care, I required it anyway.

I'm not going to let someone buy a bunch of stuff and ASSUME that the money for it's coming out of their own pocket just because the card came out of their wallet/purse.

macfamily said:
I would say it's a pretty good bet that when a cashier asks you for a second ID, she's not thinking of company profits and Credit card company fees and what not. I know that when I was a cashier for 15 years I would ask for an ID for an unsigned card because it was the right thing to do. Some people cranked about it, but I don't care, I required it anyway.

I'm not talking about a card that is unsigned. Or one that has the signature part rubbed off. In those cases and the case where the signature does not match the back of the card I have no problem showing an ID. This actually happens a lot to me because I don't sign my real signature on those digital signature pads. I "sign" a line with a flourish which in no way looks like my signature. I know I can ask to sign on a piece of paper, but that's an even bigger PITA.

The places that I have a problem with are the businesses whose policy it is to check IDs for each and every credit card purchase. Those businesses are indeed looking out for themselves and not for the customer.

Becky2005 said:
I do all the financial stuff and have pretended to be DH on occassion.

As for the credit cards (actually I believe if I read the VISA information correctly, the SEE ID doesn't make the card legal, it has to be signed. You can refuse to accept it unless it has a signature -- technically I think you are supposed to. I have an at-home business and accept credit cards, I read through ALL the VISA rules and a lot of common practices people do aren't even supposed to be done, but I can't remember them all now, I just know it specifically addresses the "See ID" & signatures.)

You're exactly right. A card MUST be signed for it to be legal but so many people think not signing it or writing "see ID" is legal. It's not.

Businesses and companies are not asking for the main account holder to make it inconvenient or make a problem for you, although it may seem that way. They are doing it to protect themselves and the main account holder. So many times I have seen where a husband/wife is the main account holder and the spouse is not authorized to sign or discuss anything with their account but everything is great in their marriage and the husband/wife lets their spouse do anything with their account. Then a few years go by and the marriage falls apart and sometimes the spouse tries to get everything they can out of the account while trying to make it look like they never had access. Or I've also witnessed cell phone accounts where the spouse wants to "play dirty" and orders $1,000 worth of phones and accessories that the husband/wife has to pay for (then the husband/wife tries to come after the company for ever letting their spouse access their information in the first place after giving their spouse-during the "good times"-all of their information). This is just one of the scenarios. I've seen this with husband/wife, parent/child, and even grandparent/child relationships that have gone bad. It is a hassle but there's a reason they don't let anyone but the main account holder discuss anything with the account regardless of what the account is for, even though everyone always thinks these situations will never happen to them. It happens enough to where the companies are trying to protect themselves and the main account holders.

NeverlandClub23 said:
You're exactly right. A card MUST be signed for it to be legal but so many people think not signing it or writing "see ID" is legal. It's not.
This again depends on what company is in charge of that card. My card no longer requires a signature...they've dropped the "not authorized unless signed" from the back of the card and it's no longer in any of their terms & conditions (I actually called them yesterday also to confirmabout the signature and they said they HIGHLY advise to sign it, but it's no longer a requirement to use the card...a "See ID" is acceptable according to them). Not that I agree with companies that no longer requirement...I think it's absolutely stupid that they do that. But it just goes to show you that not every card requires it anymore.

The places that I have a problem with are the businesses whose policy it is to check IDs for each and every credit card purchase. Those businesses are indeed looking out for themselves and not for the customer.
Wouldn't you rather be asked for your card then for the one time they don't ask and it's someone other than you who is using it? How much longer would it really take out of your day to pull out your ID? How much stress is that really going to add to your life? It's probably more stressful to complain about it than it is to just pull it out and show it. Who CARES if the businesses are in it for themselves...yes they need to protect themselves too. But YOU are also benefitting by having your identity protected. Honestly the only people I see complaining about minimal things like this are those who've either never worked in retail (since they really don't know how easy it is to use someone's credit card...signe dor unsigned) or think that identity theft can never happen to them. I really hope it never happens to you...but at the same time, if it did, I guarantee you'd be a lot more appreciative of people asking for your identification...signature or not. Hmm, makes me want to check for ID all the time now just for fun. :rotfl: One simlpe solution...get a wallet where there's a window in it that fits your ID...keep your wallet out when you pull out your credit card that way if and when you're asked, everything is already out and ready without you having to do anything extra. None of the reasoning behind this will probably change your mind...but really, when you're benefitting from extra protection, it's just not worth getting upset over.

mking624 said:
I really hope it never happens to you...but at the same time, if it did, I guarantee you'd be a lot more appreciative of people asking for your identification...signature or not.

Thanks so much for your good thoughts. Not.

BethR said:
I did. But I was afraid to admit it to you all. 'Cause I DON'T have my flame suit on. :blush:

And actually, I do do everything myself. Doing things on-line makes life SOOOOO much easier! It is when you have to talk to a real person that problems enter in.
:rolleyes:

My father is an attorney. For years and years my mother has been signing his signature to things. I asked him if it would be illegal if she got caught and he said that it is not forgery if he approves and agrees with it. They usually joke that he can't sign certain things becuase if they check "his" signature it will not match! I don't think this is unethical. You are not attempting to do anything harmful. I do get, however, why the businesses have to protect themselves more now.

QUOTE: I also have a pet peeve with cashiers who never ask to see a driver's license when I purchase with a credit card. Why? Are they just lazy, or don't care?

I ALWAYS THANK the cashier that asks for my ID. I know it's for my own good, and I know they get people who are unkind about it....so I go out of my way to be thankful to them. It's right there by my CC anyway, so it's not a big deal in my opinion.

OT - I'm reminded of a funny story...once on a long drive, I was quite close to empty when finally I stopped for gas. I discover that I don't have my wallet, any money or cc's. Ugh!

I asked the attendant if there's any way I could have DH give him a cc number over the phone. He says,"no." Luckily, I've a friend who lives an hour away. The exit where I got off was nondescript with just a number. I call my friend collect, and ask the attendant for directions. (pre-cell phones) The attendant tells me, I'm lost in Yonkers, NY!

I wait, and wait. The gas stations is closing. My friend comes, uses his cc for the gas, but has only $10 to give me. I appreciate the help, figure it will be enough to cover the tolls. (I deserved to go hungry for my stupidity.) After a very long day, I still have a very long drive ahead of me.

As he's leaving, the attendant says, "Hey, why didn't you just have your friend give me his credit card number over the phone?" I could have killed the man.

Having worked in a bank for a LONG time, I know that the new laws are there to try to protect people's information. That being said, my DFi refuses to talk to anyone on the phone - whether it be to set up bills or his health insurance, no one. We have signed proxies for all of it and they do have it on file for me to be the authorized contact. I can completely understand not giving anyone someone else's financial information, as well as their personal information. However, when it is a question on a bill, why can't they just explain the thing? No changes being made, just questioning the situation and they still won't provide an answer because it is "privacy." Yeah right. Too many people don't understand the reasons this came into effect. I had a bank tell me that they couldn't provide me a mailing address due to privacy concerns..... :confused3

One of the reasons only the person on the account can make changes is so that someone does not close/change an account out of bad will. If a realtionship breaks up it is not unheard of for one person to close an account just to tick of the other person. Rules like this are meant to protect people. I'm sure that if someone closed an account in your name you would be yelling "Why did you allow Jim/Bob/Sally to close an account that is not in their name?

it is a big pet peeve of mine too. Im the one paying all the bills and have had issues in the past with dh's car accounts. He bought both of them in his name and when they have credited the wrong account with a payment- who has to handle it? me. :rolleyes: they give me so much grief. I always have to have him here by my side or else they wont help me at all. when his car was stolen a few weeks back- the same conversation was had again.. drives me crazy. as far as signing checks- I have signed many of his checks so I can deposit them or else they still would be sitting here on the kitchen counter! thank god for direct deposit.

robinb said:
Thanks so much for your good thoughts. Not.

Well, *THAT* was snarky. As I said before, it takes an extra second to pull out my license with my card and hand it to the clerk. Pull it out when I write a check. NOT that big a deal and certainly not worth getting your panties in a twist about. :sad2: Having been a victim of a jerk of an ex with identity theft, and having had to deal with the MONTHS of getting things set to right w/ my debit card/checking account, I agree with mking624, I hope it doesn't happen to you and it WILL change how one feels about ID safety. Park the snark, for Pete's sake.

Okay guys. Well, it never ceases to amaze me that even the most innocuous comment can lead to a debate on these boards.

"Boy! The sky is really gray today!"

"Gray? Kind of looks like an off white to me."

"Don't you know how to spell? It's spelled GREY!!!"

"Be glad that you have good eyes that you can SEE the sky!"

"Just like you! Never a good thing to say about anything!"

"Don't you realize that we really need rain around here? We've been PRAYING for gray skies!!! Be happy that you HAVE gray skies!"

Can't we all be nice to each other so that I don't have to close my own thread???

graygables said:
I agree with mking624, I hope it doesn't happen to you and it WILL change how one feels about ID safety. Park the snark, for Pete's sake.

And I thought that mking624's "I hope it never happens to you (but I secretly do) and when it does boy will you be sorry!" post was pretty snarky too. I traded a snark for a snark. Now, in the spirt of the saying "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" and so Beth doesn't have to close her own thead I bid you adieu.

Boy! The sky is really gray today!"

"Gray? Kind of looks like an off white to me."

"Don't you know how to spell? It's spelled GREY!!!"

"Be glad that you have good eyes that you can SEE the sky!"

"Just like you! Never a good thing to say about anything!"

"Don't you realize that we really need rain around here? We've been PRAYING for gray skies!!! Be happy that you HAVE gray skies!"

:rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter