• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hate kids but love Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re only upset because you hate kids and you want everyone around you to tell you it’s okay. Had you just kept your unsolicited opinion to yourself then no one would even know. I don’t randomly start up threads to say I hate Group B and I want everyone to tell me it’s okay.

As I said, I’ve gone to Disney solo before. But I went to Disney solo knowing that there will obviously be kids.

As a Disney shareholder, I don’t care if you enjoy Disney services if you’re going to try to go there and tell the target audience how much you hate them.

Maybe I should go to a bar tonight and tell everyone how much I hate alcohol and people who drink. What kind of response do you think I will receive? I mean after all, I love the seating and the food at this bar...I just hate their target audience.

Liking kids and enjoying Disney experiences, products and services are not mutually exclusive.

I never said it was. But again, Disney is targeted at kids. As you said, get over it.

and just because it it is targeted for kids does not mean that those outside the target market can not or should not enjoy the Disney products, services and experiences. Walt Disney wanted everyone, adults and children to enjoy the parks and the services and experiences he provided. Those outside the target market should not be made to feel uncomfortable and unwanted as they have just as much right as families and people with kids to enjoy the Disney products, services and experiences..

Thats what this is all about. The negativity stems from not understanding how a person who does not like kids can enjoy the Disney products, services and experiences. Its outside peoples realm of comprehension because its outside their experience and expected society norms.

this is uncalled for, just because she does not like kids she should stay in her room, like seriously, just no.

You have no right to make someone uncomfortable and feel not wanted and tell them to stay in their room and miss out on experiences they enjoy such as meeting characters, the shows, the activities etc. So what, big deal, she does not like kids, but that does not mean she does not like the Disney activities, experiences and services. Liking kids and enjoying Disney experiences, products and services are not mutually exclusive. You can "hate" kids and enjoy meeting characters, you can "hate" kids and enjoy Twice Charmed show, you can "hate" kids and enjoy Disney themening and customer service, you can "hate" kids and enjoy cruising the Disney way.

did you read the OP‘s post?! Her title to the thread is “Hate kids...” Do you think comments such as hers makes someone with children feel comfortable and wanted?! I was simply pointing out a couple of places where OP would be guaranteed to find a respite from all of the “messy, loud, rude, anxiety-ridden, and just plain annoying” children running around. The adults only pool might be another option. So to the point of other comments - Disney Cruises doesn’t just cater to children. They have plenty of areas where an adult who is uncomfortable around children can go and enjoy themselves too. I promise you, nothing malicious in my comments.

Have you seen any posts from families stating that they hate solo travellers or people without children? I know I havent. I've been to Disney for the last 30 years both as a single person and a parent and not once have I ever even contemplated what demographic may be there, or have I ever felt any prejudice for being there with or without kids. These things do not cross normal people's minds.
They do cross other people's minds. Maybe you are not one of them.
I do think about it, but more about what I observe when I am there. This weekend I was at Disneyland Paris, and we were waiting for the parade and I noticed how many adult groups there were and how little DLP focusses their marketing on these groups.
I think we had one commercial without kids. One is about going to DLP as a romantic destination for couples. The duckling commercial of last year, without any people is a bit of a grey area.
Other demographics I think about is etnicity, we do see more Asian guests coming to Disneyland Paris. But also about 10% of the French population has dark skin, but I do not see that reflected in the visitors, I think it's reflected in CMs.

And there has been at least one post of someone who had the feeling people hated solo travellers, she had the feeling people were avoiding her, didn't want to stand close to her. I do not share this feeling, but I'm sure there are people who think it's weird. There are plenty of looks or sometimes comments given when they see "it's just one".

Last edited:
Thats what this is all about. The negativity stems from not understanding how a person who does not like kids can enjoy the Disney products, services and experiences. Its outside peoples realm of comprehension because its outside their experience and expected society norms.

What is your point? "I'm somewhere where a lot of people I hate, are also present. And I'm telling you I hate them, so you need to get over it?" Get over what?

and just because it it is targeted for kids does not mean that those outside the target market can not or should not enjoy the Disney products, services and experiences. Walt Disney wanted everyone, adults and children to enjoy the parks and the services and experiences he provided. Those outside the target market should not be made to feel uncomfortable and unwanted as they have just as much right as families and people with kids to enjoy the Disney products, services and experiences..

No one (besides yourself) in this thread has suggested that you cannot enjoy Disney solo or enjoy Disney without kids. The only one that has made someone feel uncomfortable, unwanted, and negative is the OP.

What is completely outside of your realm of comprehension is that you expect the majority of people at Disney...families (hint: target audience) to accommodate the minority and tell you that the world is okay. What you want is to offer your unsolicited opinion that you hate them and then you want them to respond by telling you it's okay and if they dare say something else, then you accuse them of being the ones who are negative and exclusive.

Can you not see that "I don't like kids" and "I hate kids" are different feelings? The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. Hate is its own thing, and is regrettable at best when applied to other human beings, and gets a lot worse awfully fast.

Hate is a loaded term. Even disdain for children, let alone hate, is not Walt's own way.

Everybody in the world was once a child. So in planning a new picture, we don't think of grown-ups, and we don't think of children, but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall.​

and

That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up.​
We can dive deep into the philosophy of this, but I'm sorry for OP that OP's own childhood was such that "hate" is the emotion exposure to children brings to surface.

I don't plan to have kids because I would feel too guilty if I couldn't protect them from the bad, the unfairness, and the trauma that is associated with being a human on the earth. It wouldn't be good for my mental health which means it wouldn't be a good for a child, and they are the ones that matter. They didn't ask to be put here, so unless I can protect them 100% I just couldn't live with myself. Nothing wrong with that - I'm doing them and the world a favor.

OAN, I'm 27, when are y'all cruising?
My niece and my friend's children have similar thoughts.

The world is more stable now than at any time in human history. It's amazing to think back at what our ancestors survived. We are the offspring of the heartiest, the ones who didn't die of flu, infection, battle, malnutrition, etc. This world is full of incredibly amazing things to see, our ancestors are one of them. A couple having one child still aren't replacing themselves, you need 3 or more children to expand the current population totals.

But not everybody needs to have children to live a fulfilling life. I love my niece and know she has made up her mind. I respect the choices she makes for her life.

I’m probably going to get a bunch of hate/rude comments for this, but just stating my honest opinion. I can’t stand children. Never liked them. Never liked playing with baby dolls when I was a little girl. I grew up an only child so most of my socializing was spent with adults. I’m almost 30 and do not plan on having kids anytime soon...if at all. Kids are messy, loud, rude, anxiety-ridden, and just plain annoying. Maybe it’s just the selfishness in me. BUT, I am and have always been a total kid at heart, especially when it comes to Disney! My best friend is the same exact way. So if you see two grumpy young adults cringing at the screams of children on the ship, that will be us! Lol. I am obviously willing to still sail on Disney cruises/go to Disney world, but don’t expect me to be grinning at your messy kid. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way so I won’t feel like a complete outsider.
I am not understanding how you can be a kid at heart and hate children? Or be a kid at heart and be a "grumpy young adult cringing"?
Should we praise you for be "willing" to sail on Disney? I don't expect you to grin at my children, but I also don't expect you to scowl at another human being if the other human being is not doing anything inappropriate.

No one really cares that you don't want to interact with children. Do it or don't do it.

why all the negativity about not liking kids? So what, big deal. Why is it so hard to understand that an adult can like the Disney company products and experiences, that an adult can enjoy Disney Parks and Disney cruises but not like kids?? The products and services offered by the Disney company are not just for kids and families. It is not a pre-requisite of the Disney company that if you are an adult you must have kids in order to avail of their services and products.

This negative view of adults with no kids being Disney fans that stops solos and couples enjoying Disney Parks and Disney cruises. This negative view from families and people with kids makes solos and couples feel they have no right to go on a Disney cruise or that they should not do character dining in the park.

There are tons of posts here on Dis from solos who are looking for reassurance that its ok to go to a Disney park alone as they are worried that families with kids will make them feel uncomfortable. I've seen posts from solos who will not eat in table service restaurants are they are worried families with kids will not like a solo taking up a 4 top table.

Families with kids have no right to make a solo or adults with no kids uncomfortable or not wanted in a Disney park, on a Disney cruise or in a Disney restaurant.
Why all the negativity? Can you imagine the backlash if the OP said she hated old people? I'm going to bet that the post would have been closed down. Actually, pretty much if you inserted any other group of people for children in the OP, it would be taken off the boards.

Can you not see that "I don't like kids" and "I hate kids" are different feelings? The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. Hate is its own thing, and is regrettable at best when applied to other human beings, and gets a lot worse awfully fast.

Hate is a loaded term. Even disdain for children, let alone hate, is not Walt's own way.

Everybody in the world was once a child. So in planning a new picture, we don't think of grown-ups, and we don't think of children, but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall.​

and

That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up.​
We can dive deep into the philosophy of this, but I'm sorry for OP that OP's own childhood was such that "hate" is the emotion exposure to children brings to surface.

Thank you! Well said.

I really think everyone is taking this a little far. Yes, OP said “hate”, but y’all, come on. Hate is a strong word and generally warrants strong action... I seriously doubt OP would ever commit such an extreme act of hate that we see every day in the world... think about groups of people that actually DO hate each other... I think it was just a bad choice of word. How many times do you think or say you hate something but didn’t truly mean it in the way that y’all are taking it to be? Please, stop this craziness. Why can we not just give OP the benefit of the doubt? Clearly the OP is just trying to connect with other people... that’s why OP posted on a social board. Stop trying to make it into something it isn’t. Again, I understand that you see the word “hate” and it evokes extreme emotions, but just for a second take a breathe and really examine if OP meant “hate” or if OP meant something else. We are creating a rift between two different demographics who truly just love the same thing! It’s not worth it! We all want the same thing! Another poster told me that the world is the heartiest it has ever been, but how is this proving that?? It is going against it completely! Disney was created for the child in everyone. Think about what it means to have childlike faith. Would a child react so verbally violently or would they try to understand and try to kindly sway OP’s opinion? I’m pretty sure a child would never say “I don’t want you to reproduce” or “I don’t want you here” or “You aren’t like me so you shouldn’t be here”. I know I would have never said that as a child. Guys, come on. As someone else said, the target audience is everyone because everyone was a child. Walt wanted a place for everyone. Please start acting like it.

Last edited:
I’m probably going to get a bunch of hate/rude comments for this,

yep all the disney families out in force, all the pearl clutching at someone who dared express different opinion

but just stating my honest opinion. I can’t stand children. Never liked them.
And plenty of people share this opinion

Never liked playing with baby dolls when I was a little girl. I grew up an only child so most of my socializing was spent with adults.
Not every little girl has to play with dolls, its just that we have been conditioned by society norms to see something wrong with girls who don't play with dolls.

I’m almost 30 and do not plan on having kids anytime soon...if at all..
Im over 40 and I knew a long time ago that I did not want kids. One of my friends, same age, also feels the same way. We have had many conversations about the pressure from society to have kids and how people think we will change our minds. People just can't get their heads around this decision as it goes against society norms that people expect every woman to be maternal.

Kids are messy, loud, rude, anxiety-ridden, and just plain annoying.
Agreed, and I just can't ever see myself having to deal with all that. I see how hard it is to have kids, I see all the work that my sister and friends with kids do and I just can't. All the stuff with kids, having to do everything for them, then dealing with the whining, the tantrums, just ugh, no.

Maybe it’s just the selfishness in me. BUT, I am and have always been a total kid at heart, especially when it comes to Disney!
Exactly the same, Disney parks are my happy place and I love my solo trips, I collect Disney pins and merchandise, grew up watching Disney films and so much more.

My best friend is the same exact way.
Same, I also have a friend who loves Disney, and we have shared many experiences which most people only dream of.

So if you see two grumpy young adults cringing at the screams of children on the ship, that will be us!
lol, that will probally be me too, on my September 2020 European cruise. I will be the one reading a book and thinkig oh for the love of ice-cream can that kid shut up

Lol. I am obviously willing to still sail on Disney cruises/go to Disney world, but don’t expect me to be grinning at your messy kid. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way so I won’t feel like a complete outsider.
yep so am I, I cant wait to experience cruising the Disney way. Yes I do feel the same as you, and I'm sure there are plenty reading this thread who agree but feel too intimadated by the Disney families to rely and agree with you.

I really think everyone is taking this a little far. Yes, OP said “hate”, but y’all, come on. Hate is a strong word and generally warrants strong action... I seriously doubt OP would ever commit such an extreme act of hate that we see every day in the world... think about groups of people that actually DO hate each other... I think it was just a bad choice of word. How many times do you think or say you hate something but didn’t truly mean it in the way that y’all are taking it to be? Please, stop this craziness. Why can we not just give OP the benefit of the doubt? Clearly the OP is just trying to connect with other people... that’s why OP posted on a social board. Stop trying to make it into something it isn’t. Again, I understand that you see the word “hate” and it evokes extreme emotions, but just for a second take a breathe and really examine if OP meant “hate” or if OP meant something else. We are creating a rift between two different demographics who truly just love the same thing! It’s not worth it! We all want the same thing! Another poster told me that the world is the heartiest it has ever been, but how is this proving that?? It is going against it completely! Disney was created for the child in everyone. Think about what it means to have childlike faith. Would a child react so verbally violently or would they try to understand and try to kindly sway OP’s opinion? I’m pretty sure a child would never say “I don’t want you to reproduce” or “I don’t want you here” or “You aren’t like me so you shouldn’t be here”. I know I would have never said that as a child. Guys, come on. As someone else said, the target audience is everyone because everyone was a child. Walt wanted a place for everyone. Please start acting like it.
Maybe you and OP do not know it, but there are specific forums for adult/solo travelers . Instead of seeking out those forums, OP chose to bash a group of people. She not only said "hate" but said many rude things. Again, I ask you, insert "children" in the OP for ANY other group of people and see how it reads.

Maybe you and OP do not know it, but there are specific forums for adult/solo travelers . Instead of seeking out those forums, OP chose to bash a group of people. She not only said "hate" but said many rude things. Again, I ask you, insert "children" in the OP for ANY other group of people and see how it reads.

oh so go over there, we dont want you here because you are different to us

I think you missed the point of my message. I’m asking you to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter