Grumpy Challenge 2017.... A Marathon Weekend TR (Updated 3/19 Final Thoughts)

Ack - I can totally feel the nervous anticipation of the starting line!

Looks like people were warmed up by mile 5 and dropping layers! ;p

Love all the old rides they set up!

I've heard of the waste water treatment plant -- but your photo, with the steam rising, really made it real! :crazy2:

I'd love to do a run through AK! I dont see myself doing a marathon though. That's awesome that you got to do EE!! So many people just seem to miss it, or the line is too long -- looks like you hit it at the perfect time.

Looking forward to the next installment -- seems like the race is going great so far!!
Oh yes there was a ton of clothes on the sides of the course through the first 5-6 miles.

That treatment plant photo doesn't do it justice ;)

One of the other half courses goes through AK, maybe you could do that one.

I was so glad to hit it at the right time.

I've been reading from a far and thought I would jump in and say Hi... great report so far. You're making me want to get back to running and get a WDW runDisney event in. Though I'm not sure I could do a full. :scared1: The longest I've ever gone was a 10 miler.

My old running path would take me around a few farms and a recycling/composting site for the city, so I can only imagine what the waste treatment smells like for y'all. Yikes!

Sounds like you're really taking advantage of your longest trip yet. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your run!

I've been reading from a far and thought I would jump in and say Hi... great report so far. You're making me want to get back to running and get a WDW runDisney event in. Though I'm not sure I could do a full. :scared1: The longest I've ever gone was a 10 miler.

My old running path would take me around a few farms and a recycling/composting site for the city, so I can only imagine what the waste treatment smells like for y'all. Yikes!

Sounds like you're really taking advantage of your longest trip yet. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your run!
Thanks for reading! If you've done a 10 miler I am sure you could at least do a half.

Waste treatment is probably similar to the farm smells

I caught up!

Of course it took you running 14 miles (and counting) and me taking a month and a half.

I am so impressed that you ran a marathon!

:worship::cheer2:

I didn't realize you had such a long wait time from when you arrived until you were able to run.

What did you have to do with your blanket while you were running? Did you just have to ditch it? Or could you keep it somewhere until you were done running?

Love the meet & greets that you stopped for, especially Mater and Lightning, the Country Bears and wow! Old MK ride vehicles. How cool!

Anna does not look happy in the picture you have of her.

I think I like some of the props they have out (the ^^^ ride vehicles, FoF dragon and the train) even more than some of the characters. I didn't realize the marathon ran through so many parks. I'll have to wait and see- do you go to all four?

What a hoot that you rode EE in the middle of the marathon. I'm so glad the timing worked out for that.

:banana::banana::banana:

I caught up!

Of course it took you running 14 miles (and counting) and me taking a month and a half.

I am so impressed that you ran a marathon!

:worship::cheer2:

I didn't realize you had such a long wait time from when you arrived until you were able to run.

What did you have to do with your blanket while you were running? Did you just have to ditch it? Or could you keep it somewhere until you were done running?

Love the meet & greets that you stopped for, especially Mater and Lightning, the Country Bears and wow! Old MK ride vehicles. How cool!

Anna does not look happy in the picture you have of her.

I think I like some of the props they have out (the ^^^ ride vehicles, FoF dragon and the train) even more than some of the characters. I didn't realize the marathon ran through so many parks. I'll have to wait and see- do you go to all four?

What a hoot that you rode EE in the middle of the marathon. I'm so glad the timing worked out for that.

:banana::banana::banana:
YAY!

Oh yes we wait at least two hours until we run which is not always that great.

The mylar blanket got ditched before the race started. It can mess with the tracker on your bib.

Anna was questioning something when I passed. I don't remember what.

I was so happy the timing worked out!

Marathon Part 3!

So I left you off at Mile 14 where we were still at Animal Kingdom. We headed out of AK through the parking lot and out of the parking lot towards ESPN Wide World of Sports. They had the Haunted Mansion Grave Diggers just outside the parking lot area. They also had a very large medical tent area in the parking lot which was for the people who were looking to check out at the half way point. With the cancelled half 1500 half runners decided to run the full instead and some of that 1500 was only going to run half of the full to get their half in.

Back on the roads we go!

Okay there was a long stretch of just running on the WDW area roads. It was a bit boring but I found there to be a ton of spectators and people cheering out. There were also a ton of people giving free food! Like of course I will take your food in the middle of a marathon I don't really care who you are. Those Twizzlers and pretzels were the best Twizzlers and pretzels I have ever had. You people handing out food are the real MVP!

Mile 17 we were starting to near ESPN WWoS finally.

And then finally we were in ESPN WWoS. Of course we had about 4-5 miles inside ESPN WWoS to go....

Once inside they were playing music and what not. Many people complain about the WWoS portion but I actually didn't mind it much. I got in line for Donald, Chip, and Dale. However Donald went and took a break before I got there.

Mile 19!

And just around this point they played the Wisconsin Badger fight song. WOW was that a pick me up! I have grown up as a huge Badger fan and them playing that song gave me a big boost, and of course I sang along. People around me probably thought I was crazy.

Goofy was meeting on the track but I didn't stop for him.

Into Champion Stadium!

I thought running in the stadium was really cool.

There was a long period of no tracking updates around this point so my mom texted me right about this time asking if I was okay or not lol.

And finally on the way out of WWoS!

And now we were onto Hollywood Studios! There is a bit of a hill on the way there but we had sarge to coach us on the way up.

Here you can see the conveyor belt they are using for dirt moving for the construction projects.

Mile 22 and another look at the conveyor belt!

Construction from the backside.

Mile 23 was backstage at Hollywood Studios.

Just after this they had Oswald meeting. I hesitated but decided to skip. He doesn't meet at WDW ever but at that point I just wanted to keep moving.

In and out of Hollywood Studios...

Onto the Boardwalk! More spectators and snacks around here.

And into Epcot for the home stretch!

Continued in next post!

Marathon part 4!

Aladdin was out with no line whatsoever. I don't know why I had my arm like that...

Only .2 miles to go people!

Hello Gospel choir!

Happiness in full effect.

Thumbs up!

I see you finish line!

High 5 Minnie!

Put your hands in the air like you just don't care!

Sigh... I DID IT!

Medals on medals!

My most favorite medal ever!

Oh hey Dopey!

Good afternoon Goofy!

And that was that. I just ran a marathon. 26.2 miles. Something I was so scared of when I signed up. I did it! I can't believe I did it! I would be lying if I told you I didn't get emotional near the end. There is nothing in my life that compares to that moment right there.

I got on the bus and headed back to SSR. Getting up after sitting on the bus ride back was probably one of the hardest parts!

Up Next: Time to Celebrate!

Congratulations! I'm a long time lurker that is making a conscious effort to come out of the woodwork. Back in December, your 2016 Marathon Weekend TR came up in my suggested posts and intrigued by the title I gave it a read and that led me to watching for this one, too. I have to say, you make running -- especially running in WDW -- sound like fun. This from someone that would previously never consider running unless being chased and in serious fear for my life, LOL! Who knows? Maybe I'll be inspired. :)

Congratulations! I'm a long time lurker that is making a conscious effort to come out of the woodwork. Back in December, your 2016 Marathon Weekend TR came up in my suggested posts and intrigued by the title I gave it a read and that led me to watching for this one, too. I have to say, you make running -- especially running in WDW -- sound like fun. This from someone that would previously never consider running unless being chased and in serious fear for my life, LOL! Who knows? Maybe I'll be inspired. :)
Well thank you for reading along! Running at WDW is a lot of fun! I suggest you try at least a 5K, you don't have to run it you can walk and get all of the enjoyment of a runDisney race.

Congratulations on completing the marathon! I agree with you - taking food from strangers during a race is the best! :)

You look in great shape after the marathon. Ah, to be young again:) DH was asking if anyone was handing out beer, but I said probably not since it was on WDW property. In the Austin marathon, he said people were handing out beer, wine, food, BBQ, whatever from the front yards. A beer during a 26 mile run sounds very nasty:crazy2:

You look in great shape after the marathon. Ah, to be young again:) DH was asking if anyone was handing out beer, but I said probably not since it was on WDW property. In the Austin marathon, he said people were handing out beer, wine, food, BBQ, whatever from the front yards. A beer during a 26 mile run sounds very nasty:crazy2:
Oh no you'd be surprised. Lots of beer was had by people on course. Many times people will stop in world showcase and get margaritas or beer. And for scientific purposes beer is good for you after running.

Oh no you'd be surprised. Lots of beer was had by people on course. Many times people will stop in world showcase and get margaritas or beer. And for scientific purposes beer is good for you after running.

I forgot about the running in Epcot:)

Works for me as a substitute for running.:rolleyes1

Seriously congrats on your accomplishment

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter