Grumpy Challenge 2017.... A Marathon Weekend TR (Updated 3/19 Final Thoughts)

Wow! Oh Wow!!!

So glad you found and posted the pictures from MK, Lion King and the Safari. The nighttime castle pictures are just incredible. And I love the close-up of the rhino eating even more, as well as the resting hyenas and the baby elephant!!! :love:

:worship:

Wow! Oh Wow!!!

So glad you found and posted the pictures from MK, Lion King and the Safari. The nighttime castle pictures are just incredible. And I love the close-up of the rhino eating even more, as well as the resting hyenas and the baby elephant!!! :love:

:worship:
Thanks! I was very happy with those pictures.

I'm one of those crazy people who carries their phone the entire 26.2. I've thought about getting a belt to hold it but it's been okay holding it. I hold it during all of my training runs as well.
I carry a small camera during the races, sometimes put it in a pocket but it's easier to just have ready to go if something cool comes up so I get holding it . I totally space during wine & dine half and forgot to get the camera back out for when it got daylight and into EPCOT, I was so focused on running and have no pictures, oops!

Far left- rocket rods, left- Snow White Scary Adventures, Behind me- THE FREAKIN NAUTILUS, to my right- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Far right- Skyway bucket. I don't know who the "character" they had with them was supposed to be but how cool is this stop!
The picture looks to be of the Riverboat again you posted...I don't see the old vehicles?!?! BUT I have to say this is a very cool photo op, hope they do it again!!!

hey had some interesting pieces out backstage at AK. I am not sure what they are for.
Monkey climbing equipment...I have no idea really.

Great pics!

I carry a small camera during the races, sometimes put it in a pocket but it's easier to just have ready to go if something cool comes up so I get holding it . I totally space during wine & dine half and forgot to get the camera back out for when it got daylight and into EPCOT, I was so focused on running and have no pictures, oops!

The picture looks to be of the Riverboat again you posted...I don't see the old vehicles?!?! BUT I have to say this is a very cool photo op, hope they do it again!!!

Great pics!
I love taking pictures during the race because many of the areas can't be seen from inside the parks.

I'll check on that picture.

Still trying to catch up...

I totally understand that timing can be everything at Ohana. I loved all the food, but the one time we went was on the last night of a busy trip and we were all too exhausted to really enjoy the experience. We were too tired and stuffed by the time the bread pudding appeared.

:woohoo: on your pre-10K DIS meets!

Great pictures from the race- both yours and the ones by the race photographers.

That's cool that you saw the FEA boats backstage.

Wow, it had been awhile since you had seen Soarin'- that's right, it was closed for refurbishment last year at race time.

I enjoyed the original Figment (and Dreamfinder) more than the current version of the attraction. Sorry you never got a chance to see it.

That's pretty great that the express transportation takes you to the Africa section of the park.

Great start at AK before your dinner- hooray for seeing Lion King again.

:goodvibes

wow - thanks for posting all the details of the race! Was it your coral or just that many people but in a few spots it seemed really crowded congested (going under the water bridge, on main st., etc.

I do love how they have some rare characters out and the props and stuff. Love the picture of you with the train.

i think someone mentioned it already but I too see the Riverboat picture again where you indicated it would be of old ride vehicles (and very much would like to see that!)

That is so awesome you rode Everest in the middle of the race!

Still trying to catch up...

I totally understand that timing can be everything at Ohana. I loved all the food, but the one time we went was on the last night of a busy trip and we were all too exhausted to really enjoy the experience. We were too tired and stuffed by the time the bread pudding appeared.

:woohoo: on your pre-10K DIS meets!

Great pictures from the race- both yours and the ones by the race photographers.

That's cool that you saw the FEA boats backstage.

Wow, it had been awhile since you had seen Soarin'- that's right, it was closed for refurbishment last year at race time.

I enjoyed the original Figment (and Dreamfinder) more than the current version of the attraction. Sorry you never got a chance to see it.

That's pretty great that the express transportation takes you to the Africa section of the park.

Great start at AK before your dinner- hooray for seeing Lion King again.

Yes timing is everything with Ohana.

Race photos were really great this trip.

Yes soarin was closed so I was excited to see it again.

The express transportation was really great this trip. I would definitely do it again.

wow - thanks for posting all the details of the race! Was it your coral or just that many people but in a few spots it seemed really crowded congested (going under the water bridge, on main st., etc.

I do love how they have some rare characters out and the props and stuff. Love the picture of you with the train.

i think someone mentioned it already but I too see the Riverboat picture again where you indicated it would be of old ride vehicles (and very much would like to see that!)

Well there was about 23,000 people in the marathon so it does get pretty crowded in some areas.

I will fix the photo issue first thing when I get to a computer. I don't know what happened there.

I thought Everest would throw off my rhythm but actually it didn't and I was fine after it.

Oh & I forgot to add that's nuts riding Everest during the marathon. I think I would have a very hard time getting going again. Did your stomach or muscles argue with you after when you started back running?

that is so cool you get to ride EE while on a marathon! hats off to you! i can not even begin to think about doing a marathon. the 10k maybe. Maybe... Good job!

Oh & I forgot to add that's nuts riding Everest during the marathon. I think I would have a very hard time getting going again. Did your stomach or muscles argue with you after when you started back running?
Getting going again was something I was worried about. However I didn't have any problems getting going and found my rhythm real quick. I think if I had to wait long for the ride then maybe it would've been different.

Great pics!

Picture should be fixed now, let me know if it isn't.

Still cruising along and looking good!!! We never rode any of those old rides, so didn't really recognize any of them and didn't stop, but it was a cool idea!

So glad you go to ride EE. I swear I'm going to manage to do it this next year!!

Still cruising along and looking good!!! We never rode any of those old rides, so didn't really recognize any of them and didn't stop, but it was a cool idea!

So glad you go to ride EE. I swear I'm going to manage to do it this next year!!
Thanks! I only had done Snow White's scary adventures but barely remember it.

I hope you get to do it next year!

Can't believe you were right behind me in line for Clarabelle and Horace! :)

I'm a little jealous that you went on EE. I need to do that some day!

Can't believe you were right behind me in line for Clarabelle and Horace! :)

I'm a little jealous that you went on EE. I need to do that some day!
I know, I should've said Hi!

I hesitated at first when I saw the standby line but then someone said the single rider line was open and I headed for that. If you can ride it I highly recommend it.

A few more chapters read...

We haven't been to Tusker House since 2008. We were on the Deluxe Dining Plan that year and we ate there for breakfast and lunch on the same day (Yak & Yeti for dinner). We really liked the meals, but lately we have found ourselves at Boma instead.

Loved your pictures of the Tree of Life Awakening. That was originally part of our October trip plans, but we ended up not going to AK at night.

You were the first one I thought of when I heard the half had been cancelled. :( Drowning your sorrows with a Mickey Bar- I totally approve!

Oh, wow, I haven't heard anyone who has spotted an otter at Disney before. I have seen deer, and there is a bald eagle that hangs out by the Swalfin, but seeing a swimming otter is super cool!

You ended up making the most of the next day, with a trip to DS before saying goodbye to some of your group and then some fun attractions at MK. Your down time at the Monorail resorts and then dinner sounded good. I had not ever been to the WL until my trip with friends in Aug 2015. We just went to check out and explore the resort.

A few more chapters read...

We haven't been to Tusker House since 2008. We were on the Deluxe Dining Plan that year and we ate there for breakfast and lunch on the same day (Yak & Yeti for dinner). We really liked the meals, but lately we have found ourselves at Boma instead.

Loved your pictures of the Tree of Life Awakening. That was originally part of our October trip plans, but we ended up not going to AK at night.

You were the first one I thought of when I heard the half had been cancelled. :( Drowning your sorrows with a Mickey Bar- I totally approve!

Oh, wow, I haven't heard anyone who has spotted an otter at Disney before. I have seen deer, and there is a bald eagle that hangs out by the Swalfin, but seeing a swimming otter is super cool!

You ended up making the most of the next day, with a trip to DS before saying goodbye to some of your group and then some fun attractions at MK. Your down time at the Monorail resorts and then dinner sounded good. I had not ever been to the WL until my trip with friends in Aug 2015. We just went to check out and explore the resort.

Boma is just as good in my opinion if not better.

I highly recommend checking the tree awakenings out.

I know! I have never seen a swimming otter before either.

I love just checking out the resorts!

Ack - I can totally feel the nervous anticipation of the starting line!

Looks like people were warmed up by mile 5 and dropping layers! ;p

Love all the old rides they set up!

I've heard of the waste water treatment plant -- but your photo, with the steam rising, really made it real! :crazy2:

I'd love to do a run through AK! I dont see myself doing a marathon though. That's awesome that you got to do EE!! So many people just seem to miss it, or the line is too long -- looks like you hit it at the perfect time.

Looking forward to the next installment -- seems like the race is going great so far!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter