Groups skipping through lines...

You're talking about the tour groups, typically from Central America (lots from Brazil). They are everywhere during the summer months. In my experience, they rarely do the line jumping thing. However, if we see them heading toward an attraction we're about to go to without a FP+, we will hustle to get in front of them. I have zero problems with them being there, it must a trip of a lifetime for them, but they sure do clog up the standby queue. And I can do without the chanting. On the rare occasion I have had them try to cut through my family, I am definitely not one to say nothing. While they may or may not understand English, they sure can read body language, a shake of the head and finger point. Not a rude finger mind you, but simply pointing to where they belong (at the back of the line).

Every language understands the word NO.

We have experienced this phenomenon. One guy ahead of us in EE line and then a large group (15 or 20) pushing through the line to catch up with him. They were all wearing the same t-shirt and apparently none of them spoke English (sounded like something African, not Spanish or Portugese). They understood NO when they got to me.

The child in question is 17. What happens when she's 35? Will you think back to today, when she was 17, and remind yourself that it's likely still that health problem?

What about the 35 year olds you're not letting pass today? Can't you imagine that they might have long-standing issues, and that if someone posted about them when they were 17 you might have been OK with it?[
/QUOTE]

I think you're a little off the mark here. As I've read this thread, it doesn't appear that most of us have a problem with one or two people catching up to family after a potty break etc. The problem is big groups meeting up with one or two people ahead.

@bumbershoot Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't mind people leaving the line and returning shortly after, no matter their age. I only said I understand as I myself have a small child. My issue is with people who get in line first and hold place for 5 more people in a very high demand and long line.

Every language understands the word NO.

We have experienced this phenomenon. One guy ahead of us in EE line and then a large group (15 or 20) pushing through the line to catch up with him. They were all wearing the same t-shirt and apparently none of them spoke English (sounded like something African, not Spanish or Portugese). They understood NO when they got to me.
I think the key question is who is joining the "group", 15-20 people joining a single individual is not joining a group. Maybe the smaller group should step aside to join their larger group when they arrive.

Dave

We are 3. We usually leave together but I think there are times in lines that one parent may serve as a placeholder for emergency purposes. But that said, we usually stand in place and wave people ahead until other parent and child rejoin.

Also wanted to say,
I was here.

I will never say anything again after how the Soarin CM treated me. Everyone in line around me was just as aggravated by the cutting. Everyone knows how out of control the Soarin line is. We had waited for RD for 40 minutes. We took the time to be there early, get a position and get to the ride. I hate the mob scene at Epcot RD. I guess that's why I said something.

I will keep my mouth shut from now on. It's not worth it.

I would have gotten that CMs name and gone to Guest Services.

There are only 2 times I can remember flat out saying no. Both involved large groups of teen agers and not individuals, small children, or people who had been in line then left in an emergency and came back.

The exit and come back are usually clear because who ever is exiting will say I'm so sorry I need to take the little one to potty or I need to grab a water as I'm flush do you mind? I always say yes and then when they "excuse me" their way down the line it is hard to miss them.

The two groups I remember where 4-5 of what seemed like a revolving door! We let the first "group" through thinking eh no biggie so we wait 30 seconds more. When the 2nd, then 3rd, 4th (you see where this is going) group of 4/5 tried to cut through we said absolutely not if you want to ride with your friends they can come back here but you will not be getting past us. It was a cheer group one time and a Brazilian tour group the other.

Oh there was also one where a person was just trying to skip. They were taking the "fill all available space" seriously and kept removing ropes in Kali River rapids line to fill space several switch backs in front of them. It is the 1 and only time in a park I saw a friend remove their cast ID and say stop now or I'll call security. Not even sure if that is something they should have done but several guests had told them to go back in line since they weren't just filling space but honestly cutting and they wouldn't. They stopped when they saw the blue ID come out.

I totally hate queue jumping but please all do judge every situation individually - my grandson has special needs - his sister does not - if we use the DIS system for him and he backs out due to anxiety the rest of the family also have to leave the queue with him. If we join the regular queue and take him off for a walk and then try and join the family in the queue it would break his heart if a row occurred - obviously the examples already given were not like that but I've certainly learnt to be more tolerant of others since finding ways to help our little man.

We didn't have any line cutters on any rides on our most recent trip or the one in 2014. Perhaps we were lucky, or it's never been egregious enough for me to notice. But we each have our own pet peeves. I get super-irritated by people shoving in front of me at parades (or worse, when they ask if their kids can sit in front of me, I oblige and THEN the adults try to move in front with them). We're all humans and therefore imperfect.

However, if the CM lets a line cutter through, that is their prerogative and a decision Disney leaves up to them. In my view, it's not my job to be the line police. I don't need to interfere unless someone is being verbally abused or is about to hurt themselves or another and I am closer than a staff member.

There was a time when I would get bent out of shape about that stuff. Then one day I decided that I wasn't going to let some moron cutting the line come along rent-free on my vacation. It just doesn't happen enough for me to worry about. The only time I imagine I would say something is if it was some big group trying to do it.

I will first state that we are a party of 3 and we enter lines together. If we have to leave a line, we just leave. This is partially b/c I used to be much bigger and DH still is a big guy, so the act of leaving a line is not easy. Especially at DL, where we started in the disney-world (so to speak). And the act of coming back into a line is nearly impossible, especially for DH.

We had one trip where each time we tried Jungle Cruise we got to this one spot and DS *had to go*. So we left. Tried again another day. Same issue. I can't recall if we ever got on JC that trip LOL. We just see little point in leaving somewhere, going elsewhere for the bathroom, then all the way back. I'd rather just switch it up. One day DS *had to go* just as we were being let through for Casey Jr (again, at DL). We coudln't physically go back. So once they opened the gates for us to board, we told the CM we had to go. The CM who saw us out the gate told us to come back to the exit spot and they would seat us. We considered it, but didn't do it. The line was quick enough when we felt like riding later.

So I don't "defend" because we do it. We simply don't do it.

That sort of ground-standing has caused physical fights before at Disney. Have fun.

Do they?

Or do they simply have different beliefs than you do?

So you're allowed to have bathroom problems after you get in line, but not before?

I'm sorry you get dirty looks.

The child in question is 17. What happens when she's 35? Will you think back to today, when she was 17, and remind yourself that it's likely still that health problem?

What about the 35 year olds you're not letting pass today? Can't you imagine that they might have long-standing issues, and that if someone posted about them when they were 17 you might have been OK with it?

I don't see how.

Can he say it in Korean? How about Tagalog? French? What about Kazakh?

What if they truly do not understand? Are they allowed to go in if you deem them actually not fluent in the language you speak? Or is it only when you think they are liars?

EXACTLY.

Cultural differences are amazing!

I strongly recommend that many people answering here NEVER try to get on or off of an elevator in Korea.

I hope that no one in your party is harboring any secret "I wish he wouldn't do that" feelings.

Because occasionally, generally when he's hungry but not speaking up about it yet (his mother had him on a diet when he was 3 years old and he has the worst emotional eating issues I can even imagine, and in his mind he's still "not allowed" to be hungry), DH gets a bit annoyed at perceived "cutters". And it drives me batty. Sometimes I ask him to stop. Sometimes I don't. But I always HATE IT.

Not necessarily. What if a bunch of people left the line after you did? What if your party is way further in, or further back, than you expected? What if you don't have good spatial awareness?

There have been plenty of times when DH sees someone coming in and swears that they weren't there before, but I did notice them leave. And vice versa.

The person wasn't talking about sitting down. They were simply talking about ordering.

It's the same isue people used to freak out about at FP machines. They'd see 5 people and assume they would be waiting 5-people-worth. But then they would realize that the people had more than one ticket to do. It was based on an assumption, but they would get angry at the 5 people instead of at themselves for making an assumption.

They wanted everyone to be waiting in line so they would KNOW how many people were in front of them. Even though that slows down a line as each individual figures out how to use the machine. And makes no logical sense.

Definitely your feeling.

Other cultures just don't need the space Americans do. They'll stand right up on you; not because they are daring you to do something, but because that's what they do.
Oh please. If I'm standing next to my husband or child to get past me you would have to physically push past me. Even if you don't understand the spoken language, tone and body language when someone says no is pretty obvious. Our family has the rule you enter together. To do otherwise is just rude. And yes, it is different than if a family waited 30 minutes on a line only to have a child have a bathroom emergency and have to leave. As a family, we tend to plan and not have to wait more than 20-30 minutes for a ride. If one of the kids has to use the bathroom, one of the parents leaves with the child and they don't return, because we think its rude to push back in but I don't begrudge a parent coming back with a young child. Your analogy for the fast pass machines is a false one. Because a fp does not = butt in seat. Since most parents carried tickets for children, if I saw one person on line, I would assume they had multiple tickets. Just like if there was one person on line ordering food. Line jumpers tend to be bullies and bullies tend to back down once someone tells them no. If my 4 year old understands that line jumping is wrong, I think others can too. And yes in other countries lines are not the norm for most things, but I am sure Shanghai Disney will have lines. Tokyo Disney does. People flying from other countries would have had to stand in line at customs and the tsa. So the concept should not be completely foreign to them.

I'm with the others about not minding the person/kid that has a bathroom emergency in an hour long line. However groups of 10 is completely ridiculous. And I'll admit I will totally stand my ground. I've done this at our local amusement parks so I have no problem blocking others. There will be 8 of us going in just over a week. It will be hot and there will be long lines. I am totally prepared for that. I am also prepared to stop any others from thinking they are above waiting in line. Sorry, that's exactly what I think of the teenagers. I have 2 teenagers and even they complain about people who ignore the lines.

And as for what would I do if they became confrontational? Report them to the CM and if the CM didn't do anything then guess I'd have to go to guest services with a photo I took with my phone. I'm not too good for FB shaming either. Of course they'd have to get past me, my mother, and the other 6 in our group. Hubby would be mortified if it came to that. But let's be honest, most bullies back down at the first sign of resistance. And being as my mom was a school bus driver for 25 years, she is ALL about the rules and would be the person to tell the others to go to the back of the line. And even small, she is scrappy.

Will it ruin my vacation? No. I wouldn't be stressed. Just factual. And for us it's not about the ones who needed a bathroom break. It's the 10 youth group/cheer or other groups that want to catch up with their two. And as a practice we don't get in line unless we have ALL of our party. ALL 8 of us. And no one gets to go ride rides while the rest of us wait. My kids are no better than anyone else. They have to wait, NOT go ride something else.

So I guess we all have our own personal "justice scale" lol
Or do they simply have different beliefs than you do?
I believe George Carlin explained this paradox so eloquently: "everyone who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everyone who drives faster than you is a maniac." But we are only the arbitrators of our own morality. This issue is black-and-white to some, but all different shades of gray to others, while a few see no issue at all. Personally, I'll stand my ground on my own principles, but I don't expect everyone else to share them.

It seems there is a consensus that 1-2 people joining a larger group is ok, under some circumstances.
But, couldn't the great and almighty Disney still post a sign at each ride entrance reminding everyone to "Please enter the queue with your entire party. Line jumping is not acceptable"?
Also, I agree with one of the PP, that this sort of thing happens in a wide range of circumstances...saving bar stools, theater seats, and church pews at Christmas Mass, ironically. I again think it is ok to save 1-2 seats. But, one person saving an entire row is rude.
My biggest pet peeve with this is when people save multiple loungers or chairs by the pool....and then leave for lunch.

Cast members will actually tell you to allow people to cut into line?
In certain circumstances yes. At Pirates of the Caribbean, the queue is so wide that there is generally extra space on the sides of the line. People tend to respect the line and leave the space open. But some people walk right by the line in this extra space. CM's don't care becuase they want the line to compact.

It is already a big problem and has been for years. CM's won't address it, because they don't want to upset guests.
My guess is that they don't want to bother or care. "upset" guests are probably not the main issue. Confrontation is unpleasant, so why not skip it?

Yeah, I made two particular groups REALLY mad with me week before last in the line for jungle cruise. One was a family of 5 directly in front of me, where only the mother entered the line...and 10 minutes later the rest of the family comes pushing through others in line. I told them I don't know how the folks behind me felt about it, but the other 4 weren't getting in line in front of me. Apparently, the rest of the folks behind me were ok with it, since the mother simply moved behind me and the rest of the family joined her.

Not 5 minutes later, there was a cheer/youth groups (teenage girls with all the same shirts) that attempted the same thing. There were TWO of them in line several spots ahead of us. Next thing I know, there are about 10 more of them pushing their way through the line, saying they needed to catch up with their "group". It just so happened that the two that thought they were saving a spot to the others had wrapped around the queue, and were standing right beside me in the next row over. When the 10 others got to me, I simply told all of them that they were welcome to get in line together, but it would be at the back of the line...not in front of me. They were pissed, but I stood my ground and they all ended up leaving. I got lots of support from others around me on that one.

I just don't understand the way people think on things like this.
I would be just like you if it was completely obvious what they were trying to do. Problem is I'm the only one of my family that has a real problem with line cutters. Hard to be the bad one when my husband would be like "honey it's not THAT big of a deal". He might feel differently (and maybe the in-laws too) if it either was a large group or happened more than once or twice. I usually stand my ground whenever there are issues like this no matter where I'm at.

I do not mind when it is one parent that has ran out to grab a drink or snack for a fussy child. It's a bit rude, but I understand families with young children's situation. I do mind when it is multiple people or teenagers that have no excuse to not have entered the line all together. Most of the time I keep my mouth shut because I don't run into line cutters often and I'd prefer not to get into an argument while I'm on vacation, especially with someone I don't know. I just hope karma gets them sometime.

Cultural differences are amazing!

I strongly recommend that many people answering here NEVER try to get on or off of an elevator in Korea.

Definitely your feeling.

Other cultures just don't need the space Americans do. They'll stand right up on you; not because they are daring you to do something, but because that's what they do.

I know, I know... its one reason I am not certain I will ever make it over to China either... I just do not like that invasion of personal space. I've been on the trains in Tokyo during rush hour though and been fine.. there is a difference between HAVING to cram too many people in a small space & doing so respectfully and choosing to push your way ahead of and on top of others. It's the same at home - crowded transit? Fine, it is what it is, I can make myself pretty small and only use half a seat by hovering out a little into the aisle. Jerk with his legs wide open taking up three spots? Lady with her bag on the seat next to her and feet up on the seat across when people want to sit down? GRRR.

FWIW when I travel I do my best to go along with their flow, they're the boss, etc etc, which may be why I get so irritated when it happens in Florida. ;)

Every time this subject comes up, I am grateful the Six Flags I work at has strict a no line jumping policy. You can't get in line ahead of your group/family and hold a place until they can catch up, if you leave the line to get a drink/go to the bathroom you lose your place and can't come back. What is and isn't acceptable is clear cut and put on signs all over the park so most people do what they need to do and make sure their group is together before they get in line. If people spot line jumping they can tell an employee who will get security or you can text a hotline number to report a description of the line jumpers and which ride you're on and security will come to you. When these people are caught, they're removed from the park with no refund offered. There were a lot of conflicts in lines that resulted in shouting matches and occasional fist fights, so these rules being in place made the park a less stressful and more enjoyable place. I wish Disney would at least encourage CMs to speak up and send line jumpers to the back of the line. I get not wanting conflict, but there's going to be guest on guest conflict if Disney doesn't step up.

I totally hate queue jumping but please all do judge every situation individually - my grandson has special needs - his sister does not - if we use the DIS system for him and he backs out due to anxiety the rest of the family also have to leave the queue with him. If we join the regular queue and take him off for a walk and then try and join the family in the queue it would break his heart if a row occurred - obviously the examples already given were not like that but I've certainly learnt to be more tolerant of others since finding ways to help our little man.
I sympathize with you that must make things a bit more difficult to plan. That being said Disney has the system in place for reasons. No system is going to be perfect but I personally wouldn't want to give someone a pass just because they explained to me that their child had special needs (talking about them being in the regular queue without using Disney's DAS) but then tell another family no because their child isn't special needs (a hypothetical if both families were within ear shot of each other).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter