Groups skipping through lines...

DisBuckMan

DIS Veteran
Just a small rant here.

At what point did it become ok for one or two people to get in a stand-by line, then the rest of their group to "catch up" with them later, thereby skipping past lots of people. We just got back from Disney/Universal a little over a week ago, and have noticed this practice getting worse and worse. Is this an acceptable practice now? Whatever happened to waiting until all your group is together before entering the queue?

I thought this was going to be a lot worse than it was. Only happened to us once or twice in 8 days. It was worse in previous years, but I did go in July compared to May this year.

They don't get past me:rolleyes1

Yeah, I made two particular groups REALLY mad with me week before last in the line for jungle cruise. One was a family of 5 directly in front of me, where only the mother entered the line...and 10 minutes later the rest of the family comes pushing through others in line. I told them I don't know how the folks behind me felt about it, but the other 4 weren't getting in line in front of me. Apparently, the rest of the folks behind me were ok with it, since the mother simply moved behind me and the rest of the family joined her.

Not 5 minutes later, there was a cheer/youth groups (teenage girls with all the same shirts) that attempted the same thing. There were TWO of them in line several spots ahead of us. Next thing I know, there are about 10 more of them pushing their way through the line, saying they needed to catch up with their "group". It just so happened that the two that thought they were saving a spot to the others had wrapped around the queue, and were standing right beside me in the next row over. When the 10 others got to me, I simply told all of them that they were welcome to get in line together, but it would be at the back of the line...not in front of me. They were pissed, but I stood my ground and they all ended up leaving. I got lots of support from others around me on that one.

I just don't understand the way people think on things like this.

There's no getting into it with CM's..? They usually don't say anything because they don't see it and/or don't want to cause a scene. If a guest lets a CM know about the group cutting in line to "catch up", the CM's usually address it from what I've seen.

But yea, it's never been fine imo for groups to cut through the line. Unless it's a parent and small child getting back in line from an emergency bathroom break, then everyone needs to wait together in the line with their party.

I think DisBuckMan is absolutely right. If we continue to allow people to do this, more people will think it is OK and it will become a bigger problem. I have no problem with someone who is already on line having to leave for a few minutes and return, such as when a toddler suddenly needs to go. I do have a problem with people who were never on the line to begin with think that they have a right to push past others and join the one or two people from their group that were there. People shouldn't expect to enjoy other things in the park and then cut past people who are waiting patiently.

There's no getting into it with CM's..? They usually don't say anything because they don't see it and/or don't want to cause a scene. If a guest lets a CM know about the group cutting in line to "catch up", the CM's usually address it from what I've seen.

But yea, it's never been fine imo for groups to cut through the line. Unless it's a parent and small child getting back in line from an emergency bathroom break, then everyone needs to wait together in the line with their party.

When it happened at Soarin a guy ran down the FP line to join people up at the front. He was the 4th person in the group to do it. CM stopped him. He told her he was joining family, she said "ok go ahead" he jumped the bar and joined them. I said aloud "she's going to let him do that?"

She looked at me very rudely and said, "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?? FIGHT THE GUY??"

Yes this is a true story.

Unless it's a parent and small child getting back in line from an emergency bathroom break, .

Yes, this is absolutely ok. Be in line, have a bathroom emergency with a little one...no problem whatsoever to leave and take care of it, then resume your place in line with your group.

But, to simply get in line to hold a place for the rest of your group when they arrive....not ok at all.

I'm not sure what the "rules" are about lines at either Disney or Universal, but we did have a little situation at Hollywood Studios last month. My group of 7 were in the standby line for Great Movie Ride. After about 10 minutes, Goofy came out. The baby/toddler in our group got really excited and wanted to go see him. So 2 people in the group left the line with the baby, did a quick picture with Goofy and returned to the line, which had moved maybe 20 feet. Since it was GMR and we were still in the building part, they were able to duck under the velvet ropes to get in and out, and the other guests around us could see we had all been in line together.

Anyway, once they rejoined the group someone in line behind us started grumbling that they cut the line. We explained what had transpired and the complainer said it didn't matter, once you left the line for any reason, you lost your place. We did not agree, so we just ignored said grumbler. But the exchange did get me thinking about line rules vs line etiquette.

I don't think it's okay to join a line and try to "save" places for members of your party who are absent, but I don't think there is anything wrong with stepping out of a line for an urgent potty break or quick picture. Especially if you can slip in and out of line without forcing others to step aside for you to rejoin your original party.

Last edited:
It's not okay, but it's also not worth stressing over. It really doesn't happen often enough to worry about it. CMs are trying to be peacekeeprs. I nobody is upset about it, then they won't start anything. If a guest is upset about it and addresses that concern, then they have to try to smooth it over. Honestly, I don't mind official policy on this. I don't want WDW have to be so restrictive and punitive. Sure, some peopel are gonna be jerks, but boarding a ride an extra 30 seconds sooner isn't a big deal for me. They'll do what they do. I'll enjoy myself. Karma will reward us both accordingly.

I think DisBuckMan is absolutely right. If we continue to allow people to do this, more people will think it is OK and it will become a bigger problem. I have no problem with someone who is already on line having to leave for a few minutes and return, such as when a toddler suddenly needs to go. I do have a problem with people who were never on the line to begin with think that they have a right to push past others and join the one or two people from their group that were there. People shouldn't expect to enjoy other things in the park and then cut past people who are waiting patiently.
It is already a big problem and has been for years. CM's won't address it, because they don't want to upset guests.

At what point did it become ok for one or two people to get in a stand-by line, then the rest of their group to "catch up" with them later, thereby skipping past lots of people. Whatever happened to waiting until all your group is together before entering the queue?

....... at the point when our society continues to push "self importance" over "thinking of others".

I agree it's very rude for someone to get in line and then have others push their way through the line to join them. However, we need to be understanding when one needs to leave the line and later reenter. My DD 17 has a health condition that requires her to use the restroom every 20-30 mins. so at times she has to leave the line and then return. I'm sick of the dirty looks!

I agree it's very rude for someone to get in line and then have others push their way through the line to join them. However, we need to be understanding when one needs to leave the line and later reenter. My DD 17 has a health condition that requires her to use the restroom every 20-30 mins. so at times she has to leave the line and then return. I'm sick of the dirty looks!

This I do not have any issues with. I have a small child, so I totally understand the need to leave the line and come back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter