Groups skipping through lines...

There have been times when I would have loved a CM to enforce the "no cutting in line" rule, but one time we had a militant older lady CM who took her job way too seriously.

We waited for Gaston through 2 breaks. (He was totally worth the wait and was hysterical.) The CM patrolled the area and watched everyone like a hawk. She told people where to stand (and where not to stand which, frankly, we never figured out why someone couldn't stand there). I felt like I was back in elementary school.

While waiting in line, she seemed to mark anyone who walked by the line as a potential line cutter. She would say, "Don't even try it" as people walked by. Folks just kept walking and were looking back at her and at each other like they had no clue. I looked at her puzzled one time and she barked at me, "People do it all the time! Caught 3 people today!" We didn't know who was more entertaining, the CM or Gaston.

I would have no problem with this. I prefer someone who cares about enforcing the rules instead of someone who doesn't. At least you know you weren't getting cut in front of lol

I'm totally fine with it.

people save spots for friends/family all the time, what's the big deal?

Movie theater seats, barstools, golf outings (you can register a foursome with one person), heck even ordering a bunch of sandwiches for your group can be considered "saving a spot" right? Do you get bent out of shape when the person ahead of you an Pinocchio's Village House orders food for more than just themselves? Or do you demand the other lunch patron should have to stand in the line like you if they want food?

It's really no big deal.

it IS a big deal. the estimated wait time when you make the decision to enter the line is based on the number of people who ENTERED the line before you. that would include people with a child who has a bathroom emergency, leaves the line, and REJOINS their family.. they were already in the line and were counted for the purpose of stating the est. wait time. it does not include those enjoying other attractions, etc. while you are waiting in line.
will your wait time be the same as if the entire group/ family entered the line before you instead of having a place holder? yes. but the salient point is you didn't have that knowledge when you made the decsion to wait in that line.

Last edited:
it IS a big deal. the estimated wait time when you make the decision to enter the line is based on the number of people who ENTERED the line before you. that would include people with a child who has a bathroom emergency, leaves the line, and REJOINS their family.. they were already in the line and were counted for the purpose of stating the est. wait time. it does not include those enjoying other attractions, etc. while you are waiting in line.
will your wait time be the same as if the entire group/ family entered the line before you instead of having a place holder? yes. but the salint point is you didn't have that knowledge when you made the decsion to wait in that line.
Good point!

If people truly want line cutting to be enforced/ended, then the only way to do it is to enforce it for all situations. Asking CMs to decide whether it's appropriate to allow someone back in line is just going to cause more confrontations for CMs. If there were signs saying anyone leaving the line must return to the end of the line, then CMs could enforce that, regardless of whether it were a mom who took a kid to the bathroom or teenagers trying to cut line. Unless there are no exceptions, it will continue.

We have been going to WDW forever, since my kids were very little. They have always understood the fact that a line is a line. This was way before any type of fastpass. Lines were routinely long sometimes an hour. We always got in line as a family. If someone had to leave the line we either all left or one or two of us left and did not come back. My husband and I felt that trying to get back into a line was rude and we raised our kids that way. With that being said you can't control other people. I just let them go. Karma usually wins. We have often gotten better seating, etc. CMs do notice but mostly don't say anything to not anger the people. There have been times though that CMs have noticed and pulled us out of line and got us on ahead of the rude people. Mt family has made entertainment out of the rude obnoxious people (not only line cutters all thoughout Disney). We pick one family per trip that wins our award for the most obnoxious.

Just got back from my trip. Fiancee and I entered the Fast Pass queue for Tower of Terror. We were walking up to the end of the line when a father and two teenaged daughters ran past us to "beat us" to the end of the line. They entered the same pre-show area as we do...we know where the door opens and listen to the CM's instructions of filling all the available space. Fiancee and I are the first ones out of the preshow area. Father and two daughters are now WAY behind us. We stayed to the right of the split in the boiler room queue, they went to the left. We were boarding our elevator and I saw them still in line with at least 2 ride vehicles worth of people in front of them.

As I said way earlier in this thread, things have a way of working themselves out.

I don't mind at all if 1-3 people come through. Things happen, like children needing to go to the bathroom, people with special needs etc, as mentioned before.
I don't like it when 1 or 2 people are holding a spot in line so that the other 4-7+ people can join them. It's just not respectful to the rest of the people in line. Admittedly, I am not bold enough to say anything about it. I am very good at the "shooting daggers through my eyes" look though lol ;) My husband, being the extrovert that he is, is usually the one who says something lol
I think Universal has a rule, something about "all party members must be together when entering a line for a ride, no catching up with your group." I love Disney, leaps and bounds more than Universal, but I think this is one rule that Disney needs to enforce. I just wish there was a way they could enforce this rule and still accommodate those with children needing the bathroom and those with special needs.

If people truly want line cutting to be enforced/ended, then the only way to do it is to enforce it for all situations. Asking CMs to decide whether it's appropriate to allow someone back in line is just going to cause more confrontations for CMs. If there were signs saying anyone leaving the line must return to the end of the line, then CMs could enforce that, regardless of whether it were a mom who took a kid to the bathroom or teenagers trying to cut line. Unless there are no exceptions, it will continue.

I think there is a big difference between someone already in line leaving and then rejoining that line, and someone pushing past to join up with their family, someone who was never in line to begin with.

Reminds me if he last trip. My group went ahead to get in line for the bus (at the resort) while I was a few steps behind but they were in line (there were ropes). I walked out and started talking to my husband, not paying attention, but the guy behind him jerks his thumb over his shoulder and said "back of the line starts there" whereupon I said "I'm so sorry, I want paying attention" and dutifully got in the back of the line. DH joined me. Then when we got to the front row the guy was joined by 4 other peope who just walked up.
That's when I would have said...back of the line starts there ;)

I agree with the posters that mentioned how people on scooters or in wheelchairs frequently are treated as if they are invisible. My husband needs a scooter. Once we were standing in line to get into MK. He was right next to me. I turned to do the Micky and finger thing, then turned around and I couldn't even see him. I was stunned so I momemtarily stood there like a deer in the headlights. The CM told me to go through, but by then I saw my husband behind a group of teenage girls. I stood where I was and said I was just waiting for my husband on the scooter who had been right next to me. The teenage girls giggled and moved aside to let him pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter